PDA

View Full Version : Where's Kurt?

andante
11-22-2003, 10:29
Does anyone know what's going on at Kurt Russell's Wanderlust Outdoor Gear? I ordered a Nomad tent two months ago but have received no acknowledgement, no cancelled check, and no tent. I've been unable to contact him and no one answers the phone there.

Someone said he has quite a backlog because of the tent's popularity.

I'm not starting the AT until April, but am getting a bit anxious.

If Kurt's gone out of production, does anyone know of a tent like the Nomad (lightweight, roomy, single-walled, plenty of ventilation, with floor)?

Thanks!!! --- Andante

andante
11-22-2003, 10:48
My Wanderlust query was answered by this great website, which mentioned Gravity Man's thread "Contacting Kurt Russell at Wanderlust Gear." Guess I have to be patient. All good things come to those who wait.....

Sorry for the redundant material! Andante

Footslogger
11-22-2003, 11:11
I ordered a Nomad Lite from Kurt earlier this year and found him pretty tough to reach by phone. It came right down to the wire on delivery and in fact, I left home in Wyoming without my tent. He somehow got it to me in Atlanta a couple days before my departure date from Springer. Just keep trying. I had the best luck getting him on the phone when I called early in the morning.

Hey ...but if all else fails and you can't reach him, but still want a Nomad Lite, just contact me directly. Not sure I'll have much use for mine now that I've copleted my hike. My Nomad Lite is in great shape. I stayed in a fair number of shelters so it didn't get much abuse on the trail. If you're going to carry a shelter (and I wholeheartedly recommend that you do) it's nice to have one that doesn't weigh a ton.

Jeff
11-23-2003, 07:47
Footslogger - How did your Nomad Lite perform in high wind conditions??

Footslogger
11-23-2003, 11:24
As long as the wind kept blowing in the same direction I didn't have a problem. With the Nomad Lite you have to set up so that the wind is coming from the back side and not towards the front. I set up several nights only to have the wind change direction and things got a little hairy. One night I remember vividly was at Mollies Ridge Shelter in the Smokies. The wind direction change 180 degrees and increased in velocity. I woke up and the awning of the tent looked like a brassier ...all filled with air. Fortunately it wasn't raining that night, but I was concerned that the tent was going to rip or go up like a kite. So, I reached outside and let the awning line blow freely. The entire awning blew over the top of the tent and I went back to sleep.

The Nomad Lite is a great little shelter but you do have to be aware of that shortcoming. Another problem occurs when there is a lot of wind and it starts raining. You can drop the awning down fairly low to the ground but then the condensation really becomes an issue.

All in all, I was pretty happy with the Nomad Lite. If you've got to carry a shelter you might as well carry as light a shelter as possible (my opnion) and when the weather looks iffy just resign yourself to staying in shelters.

rgless
10-19-2004, 19:55
Are you still interested in selling your Nomad lite or have you already done so?

Regards,

Richard

steve hiker
10-19-2004, 20:39
I have a note in my gear section to avoid Wanderlust. No customer service and you'll never get your products.

andante
10-19-2004, 20:53
(Followup on my Nomad Lite order)

Sent check to Wanderlust in 9/03.
Check cashed and returned late 9/03.
Tent never came! All attempts at contacting him failed. Got a phone message at the office 2/04 that it was being shipped. Never arrived!

Maybe it was all for the better, except for the lost $300. I thruhiked with the Henry Shires Squall 2 Tarp tent, with bottom, and was totally pleased with its performance. Shires is a prince to deal with and there's no wait.

I didn't see any Nomad tents in all my thruhike. Can't see how that line could really take off considering this kind of behavior.

Happy trails,
Andante (changed it to Now or Never around Damascus)

Hammock Hanger
10-19-2004, 21:03
No tent--No $$ back... You are a better person then I , I would not eat $300!

Unfortunately this is a story I have heard numerous times over the past 3 years.

It is much easier to get a used one then a new one. I put out a query for a used one and with in 48 I had one at half the new price. Sue/HH

TakeABreak
10-19-2004, 23:24
So to hear that Kurt screwed you too, although I the one I bought in december 99, I have heard of a lot of people whom he screwed over in the last few years.

Like I have the one I bought in December 99, I used it some but, it is setting in my closet, I would be will to part with it for $100. plus shipping and handling. If you are interested I could get the cost of shipping from UPS and let you know what the total cost would be. I would also have to have the money prior to shipping, but unlike Kurt, I would send the tent upon receipt.

I can give you reference from people at the ATC, who know me, I have volunteered there and am a life member.

rgless
11-16-2004, 15:28
Well I got the cancelled deposit check back after about 6 weeks. I guess I'll see if I get a tent or an expensive lesson in buying things on the web.

Nice tent though...