PDA

View Full Version : Maryland and West Virginia Tips?

All50
10-27-2007, 12:28
Hey guys my name is Jordan Grawe and I'm a new member here on whiteblaze. I'm a young guy and am planning to hike the Maryland and West Virginia portions of the trail here in a few months (also get into a little of Pennsylvania and Virginia) but I was wondering if any of you veterans out there had any good spots, must do's, or tips for this area of the trail. Anything you have would be greatly appreciated. Also I was wondering what you guys regard as the "bible" of the AT. I know there is a lot of books out there and I'm having trouble picking out the right one. Thanks

All50
Jordan
"Growl Pup"

Lone Wolf
10-27-2007, 12:32
there's nothing really spectacular or must see about the section you'll be doing other than it's fairly easy walking. get the ALDHA Companion

A-Train
10-27-2007, 12:38
As far as the bible goes, I'd highly recommend the thru-hikers handbook, which WAS put out by Wingfoot. You may be able to still score a copy at trailplace.com or look on-line for an older guide. If you can't find that, pick up the Data Book and Companion, found at the ATC site, atc.org I think.

The AT only goes through WV for about 4 miles and Maryland for 40. It is a very easy section, relative to the rest of the trail. In fact I did the Maryland section with my ole' dad in 01' and we spent a nice 4 days taking a gradual stroll.

I certainly would take some time either at the start or end of the hike to check out the town of Harpers Ferry (AT goes right through it). It's got great history based on the John Brown raids and the ATC office is worth a stopby. The Trail in Maryland is chocked full of history including Gathland state park and the Washington Monument park. I suggest you check it all out, nothing is very far from the trail anyhow. Dahlgren campground is a really decent place to camp about 17 miles north of HF-I set my tent up and walked about a half mile over to the Old South Mountain Inn (assuming it's still open) and had a fancy dinner.

Can't go wrong here and make sure to stay at Ed Garvey Shelter too, probably the nicest and biggest on the trail.

Cookerhiker
10-27-2007, 12:43
Hey guys my name is Jordan Grawe and I'm a new member here on whiteblaze. I'm a young guy and am planning to hike the Maryland and West Virginia portions of the trail here in a few months (also get into a little of Pennsylvania and Virginia) but I was wondering if any of you veterans out there had any good spots, must do's, or tips for this area of the trail. Anything you have would be greatly appreciated. Also I was wondering what you guys regard as the "bible" of the AT. I know there is a lot of books out there and I'm having trouble picking out the right one. Thanks

All50
Jordan
"Growl Pup"

Are you doing one long hike from Northern VA into PA or are you talking about a series of shorter hikes? What is your timeframe? Since you said in a few months, I'd expect you mean before next summer. That's good - summer's OK but personally, it's my least favorite time for hiking that section. April would be a great time. So is May.

All50
10-27-2007, 13:00
thanks for the reply and yes I'm going to do that as one trip around march or april. Any must knows?

Lone Wolf
10-27-2007, 13:02
thanks for the reply and yes I'm going to do that as one trip around march or april. Any must knows?

bring dollar bills for the Coke machines at Gathland and Washinton Monument state parks

rafe
10-27-2007, 13:08
bring dollar bills for the Coke machines at Gathland and Washinton Monument state parks

And a credit card for South Mtn. Inn.

veteran
10-27-2007, 15:22
there's nothing really spectacular or must see about the section you'll be doing other than it's fairly easy walking. get the ALDHA Companion

How bout the Dogpatch Tavern?

Lone Wolf
10-27-2007, 15:22
How bout the Dogpatch Tavern?

he's only 18

A-Train
10-27-2007, 15:57
he's only 18

Old enough to fight for the country, old enough to throw a couple back

Cookerhiker
10-27-2007, 17:23

I think late March-early April is a splendid time to hike because you can enjoy sunny days before the trees have leafed out so you'll get views and early wildflowers. Now having said that, be prepared for any kind of weather: warm & sunny to steady multi-day rain to possible snow of the wet heavy variety. If you're hiking about 60-70 miles, you could experience all of it.

A-Train suggested Garvey Shelter which is certainly nice with its siting on the eastern slope giving you views and a sunrise. But I'd also consider camping atop Weverton Cliffs which is only a couple of miles south of Garvey. I'm assuming you have a tent or hammock. Weverton Cliffs is on a very short blueblazed side trail where you'll have great views of the Potomac River and can see upstream the gaps formed by the Potomac & Shenandoah where they merge at Harpers Ferry. You can catch both sunrise and sunset at Weverton. Just remember to have enough water up there.

Uncle Silly
10-27-2007, 17:27
AT 'bible'?? Hah. No such thing -- just get on and follow the white blazes.

Programbo
10-27-2007, 22:04
Get a copy of Ed Garveys first book if you want a feel for the trail and the history and tradition..Granted most of the technical info is out of date but just for a book that really touches on the wonder of the trail you can`t go wrong with this classic

Lone Wolf
10-27-2007, 23:27

that's all well and good but the bartender/owner may have a different view.

Lilred
10-28-2007, 03:06

that's what they said back in the "70's. Changed the drinking age to 18 in '76 back in Mich. Didn't work then, won't work now. It lasted for three years and they changed it back to 21. Too many kids getting in wrecks.

EWS
10-28-2007, 03:23
Too many kids getting in wrecks.

That's bull****. It was mostly the work of religious fanatics using the face of a few grieving parents to push their way upon everyone. It was done by lobbying congress to withhold interstate funds from states who wouldn't raise the legal age to 21. Outside Muslims countries and India, ours is the only country to have such an asinine law.

All50
10-28-2007, 11:54
thanks everyone. really appreciate it. Thanks for sticking up for me there A-Train. Good man right there. CookerHiker you mentioned tent/hammock...do you think I could get away with just a hammock in April and yes it will be about 70 miles.

dessertrat
10-28-2007, 12:20
That's bull****. It was mostly the work of religious fanatics using the face of a few grieving parents to push their way upon everyone. It was done by lobbying congress to withhold interstate funds from states who wouldn't raise the legal age to 21. Outside Muslims countries and India, ours is the only country to have such an asinine law.

Ours is also the only country asinine enough to think that 16 (and in some places, 15) is old enough to drive a car. Yes, I had a license at 16, and shouldn't have.

All50
10-28-2007, 12:26
maybe you shouldn't have but trust me its a beautiful thing...I'm only 18 and already can't remember what I did before I had mine.

Appalachian Tater
10-28-2007, 13:32
Don't miss the little "museum" display in Penn-Mar that presents artifacts and information about the history of the park.

Blissful
10-28-2007, 13:53
I rather enjoyed the walk in West Va - someone mentioned walking into and through Harper's Ferry which is great. But I also liked seeing the remnants of the Civil War there on the ridgeline as well before you get to Harpers Ferry - with trench work and rifle pits. If you like history. In MD the trail also goes by a section of the Antietam battlefield with historic markers.

emerald
10-28-2007, 14:58
Get a copy of Ed Garveys first book if you want a feel for the trail and the history and tradition. Granted most of the technical info is out of date, but just for a book that really touches on the wonder of the trail you can`t go wrong with this classic.

I'm not the only person who agrees, Blissful?

All50
10-28-2007, 19:19
I'm a huge Civil War/History fan. I have been to Gettysburg, Harpers Ferry, and Antietam but would love to go back. Thanks Blissful

Cookerhiker
10-28-2007, 22:16
thanks everyone. really appreciate it. Thanks for sticking up for me there A-Train. Good man right there. CookerHiker you mentioned tent/hammock...do you think I could get away with just a hammock in April and yes it will be about 70 miles.

I'm not a hammock person myself I can't give you an answer. Hopefully, one of the many hammock aficianados here on WB can weigh in.

I would say the coldest it will get is in the mid-20s. Remember in that stretch you're at low elevation.

Hikerhead
10-28-2007, 22:19
With my Clark Jungle Hammock and some closed cell padding underneath me, that wouldn't be a problem.

All50
10-29-2007, 11:11
thank you sir...any other weigh ins on the hammock issue?

Newb
10-29-2007, 14:29
Hilltop house hotel in Harpers Ferry has a 40.00 hiker rate. Since there's nowhere to tent in the park it's your best bet for a good night's sleep and a shower.