PDA

View Full Version : sunglasses in the Smokies?

greentick
10-27-2007, 13:39
Hiking north from Newfound Gap to Leconte to Davenport Gap for a few days next week. How much of that is in the woodline?

Anyone been from Newfound to Davenport Gap after the rain last week? Hows the water situation?

-Ghost-
11-04-2007, 11:35
I actually did the hike from Newfound Gap to LeConte last year. It is generally ridge hiking as far as i remember, and the treecover varies. Sometimes it opens up, and other times it is in the thick. You would be fine without them i think. Be sure to take a side trip to Charlies Bunyon, its awesome.

No idea about the water.

Marta
11-04-2007, 20:18
I don't carry sunglasses. If I get out in the open, and the sun is bothering me, I put my hat brim down. You'll be back in the trees soon enough.

Sorry, I don't know about the water.

Bearpaw
11-04-2007, 21:54
The route is probably 60/40 wooded/non-or-very light. I often wear sunglasses, and if you simply prefer them, take them. But they're not an essential unless you catch the trail after a snow. Then they're worth it to reduce the glare on the ice the AT turns into.

Tennessee Viking
11-04-2007, 22:01
I wouldn't recommend going north of Newfound Gap during the peak winter season. I hiked in for about 2 miles, and the trail ended being nothing but a glacier 6inches to a foot.