PDA

View Full Version : Just called Amicalola SP..

Flinx
10-27-2007, 13:41
I will start a section hike on Tuesday...was told that the approach trail is dry...first water at Stover Creek...FYI

cowpoke
10-27-2007, 15:02
Did this section a couple weeks ago...was dry then...and hotter! First water was Davis creek....1.5 miles north of Springer. No water at Stover Creek Shelter but creek just before Shelter was OK and Stover Creek was running nicely. If you're going to do the Approach trail you might consider going via the Hike Inn. Cheers and have a great hike!

deadhorsejoe
10-27-2007, 15:16
I second what cowpoke said. Did this south bound from Neels couple of weeks ago. Davis was running (about .5 miles or so not too sure from Springer parking lot). Plenty of water in Stover creek and Chester Creek at next road crossing. Begins to get dry from then on to Neels. There was water in the bigger creeks (Justus creek, creek at Gooch Gap campsite (not shelter), Hawk Mountain, etc) but sometimes quite a distance between sources. We carried 4 liters each (also had to carry water for the dog). I posted a water report somewhere on Whiteblaze when I got back. We cached water at Woody Gap just to be sure. Probably did not need it because there is a running stream around where Dochery Lake trail intersects with AT but thats the last water to Neels Gap.

Nightwalker
10-27-2007, 20:58
The spring down from Rainy mtn. is probably running a little after the rain, but it's not marked. :(

Newb
10-29-2007, 13:27
The spring at the base of Blood Mtn (south side, base of steps) is dry?

Phreak
10-29-2007, 13:30
The spring at the base of Blood Mtn (south side, base of steps) is dry?

Yes, it's dry.

Phreak
10-29-2007, 13:31
I will start a section hike on Tuesday...was told that the approach trail is dry...first water at Stover Creek...FYI

The Approach Trail is bone dry. But there are several flowing sources on the Hike Inn Trail if want to travel via that route. You can also get water at the Hike Inn.