PDA

View Full Version : White Blaze get together proposal

generoll
10-27-2007, 18:24
Are there enough people and enough interest to plan a fall campout? What I have in mind is a drive in campout at Sylco campground just north of Jacks River. This is in the Big Frog area near Cleveland and Copperhill TN. Several trails are available for dayhikes up to Big Frog which is crossed by the BMT. The campsite is free and has picnic tables, fire rings, and vault toilets. This campground is south of the Ocoee river gorge and is approachable on forest service roads from Hwy 64 or Hwy 411 depending on where you are coming from. There are campsites right on Jacks River, but you almost have to kill someone to get one of those sites. They tend to be occupied all summer by squatters. Dunno about the fall, but there are only a few sites anyway. There is also a nice dayhike to Jacks River Falls for the more aquatic minded.

The last time we tried something like this on WB it fell apart over location. This is in no ones backyard as far as I know, so it might be equally inconvenient for all.

I'm thinking of November 9-11. Any takers? No program and no especially redeeming qualities other then just getting together and enjoying(?) each others company.

What say you?

Smile
10-27-2007, 19:16
Sounds like a great idea, hope you find some folks.

Sly
10-27-2007, 20:09
Sounds good, but I'm going to Cumberland Island that weekend. Y'all have fun if you put it together.

Footslogger
10-27-2007, 20:15
How about something in the Medicine Bow National Forest ??

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-27-2007, 20:17
Still having to play things by ear with my Dad (giving him enough space to grieve & grow and enough support to know he is cherished & not alone as we all grieve the loss of Granny Dino). However, if I'm not needed by the family that weekend I'd love to get together for a campout. I'm assuming the area is suitable for hammocks as well as tents?

MOWGLI
10-27-2007, 20:27
It's a nice idea Gene, but I'm out of town the weekend before & after, so it's in my best interests to stick around that weekend.

Pirate
10-27-2007, 21:56
Sounds good, but I'm going to Cumberland Island that weekend. Y'all have fun if you put it together.

Sly, I lived in St. Mary's for three years before the town grew to a population over 10,000. It was a one stop light town. If you get at chance visit Bills Place. It was only a block awayfrom the house.

generoll
10-27-2007, 22:57
Just an idea. If there's enough interest or a better place or time speak up. If not then hopefully I'll see you all at the SoRuck.

Sly
10-28-2007, 00:34
Sly, I lived in St. Mary's for three years before the town grew to a population over 10,000. It was a one stop light town. If you get at chance visit Bills Place. It was only a block awayfrom the house.

Thanks, Pirate. I'll check it out!

Cuffs
10-28-2007, 01:53
Gene, make a plan for Vet's weekend and I'll help with anything I can!!

ed bell
10-28-2007, 02:36
Real nice time I had there. My friends kayaked in, I took the ferry to meet them mid-trip. Armadillo/raccoon city. Guard your food with your life. The wild horses are something else, never seen anything like it. The temps were awesome, even in November. Having a beautiful beach to yourself like that is unheard of. Enjoy!:sun

Lilred
10-28-2007, 02:53
Sounds like a good time, but we have a closing on the 9th. Our house finally sold!!!!! :)

Smile
10-28-2007, 08:06
Congratulations Lilred, nice move in this soft market! Here's hoping the fat lady sings on the 9th! :sun

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-28-2007, 09:35
::: Dino seen doing happy dance in honor of Lilred's closing :::

Lilred
10-28-2007, 12:16
Thanks dino and smile. We've been making double mortgage payments since May. With two kids in college, this will be quite a load off our shoulders. I may get to hike next summer after all!!!

This is what's been keeping me away from all the get-togethers.

warraghiyagey
10-28-2007, 12:53
Congratulations Lilred, nice move in this soft market! Here's hoping the fat lady sings on the 9th! :sun

The fat lady will be singing in the 9th tonight at Coors Field.:) :)

Lone Wolf
10-28-2007, 12:55
the sox will throw the game so they can go back to boston and win it there

Pacific Tortuga
10-28-2007, 13:00

YA, like they did in St. Louis :cool: No, wait, they won in the 'show me' state :-? L. Wolf has inside hillbilly mafia info ?

warraghiyagey
10-28-2007, 13:09

They certainly seem like they have that much control of the outcome.

Smile
10-28-2007, 13:12
The fat lady will be singing in the 9th tonight at Coors Field.

Good omen for Lilred :)

Hey, I hope both your teams win ;)

SawnieRobertson
10-28-2007, 13:54
And so, Generoll, how many WBs do you have to have sign up to make it a "go?" Big things often grow from small packages, or something like that, y'know.--Kinnickinic

generoll
10-28-2007, 15:33
Well, so far there's me. That's one. Then Cuffs indicated an interest so that might make two. This campground is near an old abandoned settlement known as Dutch Fields. If there is sufficient interest I might see if we can get a ranger to come over and meet us at the site and give some background on it. It's a protected archeological site so presumably there must be the remains of something there. The only thing I've ever seen is the biggest forsythia I've ever seen. I assume that must have been in someones front yard. We could do some brush busting and try to get in on the old road. I've only gone there from the top, but there is an old road, now overgrown which connects with the road to the campground.

Anyway, if there's enough interest we'll keep it alive and see what develops.

Gene

dixicritter
10-28-2007, 16:06
Not sure what Rock's schedule is yet. He's got to go to Kentucky sometime next month. It's a possible for us.

generoll
10-28-2007, 16:20
This is just up and across the mountain from Thunder Rock Campground. Hope his experience there this weekend didn't give him his fill of that area.

Nest
10-28-2007, 16:20
I'm free that weekend. I'll just have to see how far of a drive it is.

dixicritter
10-28-2007, 16:22
This is just up and across the mountain from Thunder Rock Campground. Hope his experience there this weekend didn't give him his fill of that area.

Nahh, he faired alright. Besides he was out in the woods... he was happy. ;)

generoll
10-28-2007, 17:57
looks like about 200 miles for you, Cerberus.

Nest
10-28-2007, 18:13
looks like about 200 miles for you, Cerberus.

About a 3-hour drive if I count in getting lost a couple of times. Not too bad.

generoll
10-28-2007, 21:51
This is located east of Cleveland, TN and the best road access would be taking US64 east to US411 and then south a bit. You probably would need to plan at least 4 hours to the campground. Hope we can get a quorum, whatever that might be here on WB. No doubt we can make serious inroads into the worlds problems by the time we adjourn.

P.S., the travel time was intended for Cerberus.

EMAN
10-28-2007, 21:52
I'll have to look at this on a map. I might be interested. Feets are still healing from the BMT trip and something short and sweet is probably best for now.

Smile
10-28-2007, 23:03
I just found out I may be able to go to this, will keep checking the thread to see what you guys are up to. Sounds like fun :)

laserlips
10-28-2007, 23:08
Little to far for me, but I'd love to meet some of you eventually.I live about 45 minutes from the OT, so if anybody wants to 'warm up' for the 100 mile wilderness and could use some logistical support for the endeavor...I'm your huckleberry.( the OT is only 250 miles, but nowhere near as developed as the AT.No shelters that I know of, no mail drops...I know of one place on the trail where it goes by a campground that has a store.There may be others, though.)
Have fun in Tennessee if you all get together, though!

Smile
10-28-2007, 23:11
Yup, the OT is sweet, just did a short fall conflab, lots of pretty leaves, but no people.

Little to far for me, but I'd love to meet some of you eventually

SoRuck's in January, there may be others in the midwest area you could tag a ride with there who may be going.
:)

generoll
10-29-2007, 16:18
There is a schedule conflict with another hiking related activity so I think we should forget about this for now. The only reason I even suggested this was because I found an open weekend in my work schedule and thought it might be something of interest. SoRuck's coming up and I'll look forward to seeing you there.

dixicritter
10-29-2007, 16:43
There is a schedule conflict with another hiking related activity so I think we should forget about this for now. The only reason I even suggested this was because I found an open weekend in my work schedule and thought it might be something of interest. SoRuck's coming up and I'll look forward to seeing you there.

Sorry to hear that.