PDA

View Full Version : MSR WindPro Stove

partinj
10-27-2007, 22:48
I just saw a MSR windpro canister stove on sale for 49.00 what really nice about this stove is the fact that the canister sit away from the stove. So you can use a reg wind shield on the stove without worry about geting the canister hot and gone boom. Just wonder if would be a better stove to take on my Thur-Hike in place of my snow peak.
have any of you guy use this stove on a Thur-Hike i plan on leaving on Feb 04 2008 :confused:

rafe
10-27-2007, 22:56
The Windpro is 6.8 oz, as compared to 3.0 oz. for the Pocket Rocket. In fact, it looks suspiciously like the Simmerlite burner unit. ;) Why not go all the way and get the Simmerlite -- and have the advantage of a refillable white gas stove.

Seriously -- the extra 3.8 oz seems like a high price to pay for this convenience. There's a way to "adapt" a conventional windscreen to a Pocket Rocket. It involves three short pieces of coat hanger wire and a few holes drilled or punched in the windscreen. Basically, you "hang" the windscreen off the pot support on the Pocket Rocket. It's ugly and klugey, but it works.

Smile
10-27-2007, 23:19
How does white gas do in the cold? I have never utilized one of these before.

rafe
10-27-2007, 23:26
How does white gas do in the cold? I have never utilized one of these before.

White gas is the way to go for winter camping. But white gas stoves are heavy, but modern standards. An MSR simmerlite with (empty) 11 oz fuel bottle weighs 11 oz. A pocket rocket with (empty) 8 oz canister is 8 oz. 15-20 years ago most thru-hikers carried white gas stoves. Canisters and alky stoves have only caught on in recent years.

Smile
10-27-2007, 23:29
Thanks Terrapin, 11 oz is pretty heavy. I've used several the past few years, looking for a switch. :)

rafe
10-27-2007, 23:34
Well, my basic advice to partinj was to stick with the Pocket Rocket. I still think a Simmerlite or Whisperlite might make sense for a couple or a small group sharing one stove, but not really for a solo backpacker, unless one were going for very long resupply intervals. I just don't see much point to the Windpro at all.

Smile
10-27-2007, 23:37
I hear ya.
The alch. stoves are nice though, it's just the hassle of having to buy a whole can that I found a problem. I left several cans in my wake last AT section after taking what I needed. Appreciate your .02. :)

whitefoot_hp
11-01-2007, 11:15
The Windpro is 6.8 oz, as compared to 3.0 oz. for the Pocket Rocket. In fact, it looks suspiciously like the Simmerlite burner unit. ;) Why not go all the way and get the Simmerlite -- and have the advantage of a refillable white gas stove.

Seriously -- the extra 3.8 oz seems like a high price to pay for this convenience. There's a way to "adapt" a conventional windscreen to a Pocket Rocket. It involves three short pieces of coat hanger wire and a few holes drilled or punched in the windscreen. Basically, you "hang" the windscreen off the pot support on the Pocket Rocket. It's ugly and klugey, but it works.

or a two or three tent stakes...