PDA

View Full Version : Florida Trail

Hammock Hanger
10-27-2007, 23:27
I am opening my home to Florida Trail Long Distance Hikers. I am available between Gold Head State Park and the Olustee Battlefield.

I can get you to Walmart, the Post Office, a grocery store and if needed an outfitter.

I don't cook but there is always take-out or a restaurant.

I must let it be known while I look forward to helping out fellow hikers, that I myself am a hiker and I DO hike. :p So, there will be times that I will be on the trail and unavailable. If you think that you may want to stay with me, please contact me ASAP. This way I can look at my calendar and be as accommodating as possible. :D

[email protected]

641-309-5219 (voicemail, please leave a detailed message and if at all possible a phone number.)

Cuffs
10-28-2007, 01:55
Thats great to know HH, hope to section hike your FT soon!

cannonball
10-28-2007, 12:59
If I may be so bold as to tag along on HH's thread I to can offer support and accomadations along the FT. MY range is from the Suwannee river area west to th St. Marks area.

have gueat house, will shuttle , no charging- just putting karma in the bank:p

cannonball
10-28-2007, 13:16
make that gueSt house.:confused:

Hammock Hanger
10-28-2007, 17:30
make that gueSt house.:confused:

Cannonball that is GREAT. We actually have a FT SoBo out on the trail at this very moment. He has a trail journal under Paul Geyer. He is past St Mark's but still in your area I think. Why not sign his guestbook.

I do not have a GUEST house but the whole upstairs is a small efficiency apt with full bath. Best I can offer. (beats a tent)

BumpJumper
11-07-2007, 16:46
Sue,
I just emailed ATTroll and requested the FTA to have a section on this other trails forum. This way, us FTA folks can yak too.....:D

ofthearth
12-29-2007, 16:22
Hello,
Have been section hiking while trying out new gear. Had hoped to start a thru-hike (scary thought) in Jan. but with the reservation being closed and more things needing to be done at home I'm taking the opportunity to try and get a little better prepared and see what the FT is all about. So far I've gone from Gold Head State Park down to the 88 store(3 days) where Janie, section leader for 17 & 18 rescued me and got me back to my truck. Some nice areas but a bit of road walking. Got a different pack after that adventure. Later went from the 88 store down to Farles Campground and then back to the 88 store(4 days). Even coming back over the same trail it was still a beautiful walk. And the there needs to be an 88 store at the end of every trail.

If anyone would like to get together, help with a shuttle/ offer advise-suggestions about a walk form Gold Head over to White Springs around the first of the year let me know.

We seem to have a couple of different threads going about different sections so I hope I don't annoy anyone by posting this in different forums.

tia
ofthearth

MOWGLI
12-29-2007, 18:32
3 weeks til a 90-mile hunk of the FT will be torn off, marinated, barbecued, and savored! Can't wait!

slow
12-29-2007, 20:30
3 weeks til a 90-mile hunk of the FT will be torn off, marinated, barbecued, and savored! Can't wait!

Good for you ...ENJOY AND THE BEST OF LUCK.:)

Smile
12-29-2007, 21:34
Have a great hike Mowgli16 :)

jnetx
01-02-2008, 18:35
Hello,
If anyone would like to get together, help with a shuttle/ offer advise-suggestions about a walk form Gold Head over to White Springs around the first of the year let me know.

tia
ofthearth

The long road walk between Goldhead and Lake Butler can be avoided by hiking the new Palatka - Lake Butler rail trail. It's not blazed yet (or wasn't a couple weeks ago) but is marked on the current year maps as proposed trail, and is very hikeable for the most part, a little rough but still passable in a couple small spots. A couple old railroad bridges out requiring a brief visit to a nearby road to cross. Suggest you get the current map from FTA and/or call for directions where to pick it up, etc.

I understand the Big Shoals proposed route is also hikeable and blazed, but didn't hike that one myself, preferred to do the road walk and stop by at the Madison shelter.

The canoe outpost in White Springs will shuttle for a fee I think.

Have a great hike.

ofthearth
01-05-2008, 13:18
The long road walk between Goldhead and Lake Butler can be avoided by hiking the new Palatka - Lake Butler rail trail. It's not blazed yet (or wasn't a couple weeks ago) but is marked on the current year maps as proposed trail, and is very hikeable for the most part, a little rough but still passable in a couple small spots. A couple old railroad bridges out requiring a brief visit to a nearby road to cross. Suggest you get the current map from FTA and/or call for directions where to pick it up, etc.

I understand the Big Shoals proposed route is also hikeable and blazed, but didn't hike that one myself, preferred to do the road walk and stop by at the Madison shelter.

The canoe outpost in White Springs will shuttle for a fee I think.

Have a great hike.

Thanks for the info and sorry I took so long to get back. The real :rolleyes: world keeps intruding. Am a FTA member and have the maps etc and met the leader for the section ( Janie) south of Gold Head. When I can't get a ride back after a walk I just double back. Some areas like the Ocala it's no problem as it's a nice enough walk but I try to avoid that with road walks. And on the map they mention the prisons and "suggest" not to hitch hike. I wasn't sure about the rail walk as it almost looked like a road walk from the map. You mention hikeable - what about views, eco., etc.? Just thinking about doubling back.

tia

ofthearth

ps are going to the soruck?

jnetx
01-06-2008, 10:05
I wasn't sure about the rail walk as it almost looked like a road walk from the map. You mention hikeable - what about views, eco., etc.? Just thinking about doubling back.

It's like a road walk in as much as it's long, straight stretches, sometimes with a visible "vehicle track", allowing a good steady pace. Unlike a road there is no traffic and more opportunity for wildlife sightings. We saw a couple of bobcats, several wild hogs, and the usual deer, armadillos, raccoons, etc.

You do miss out on the DOF station (potable water and poss camping) and the Sampson church potable water, but there is water available from creeks at approx the same mileage for both these sources (New River and whatever the creek in Sampson is called). Railtrail drops you in Lake Butler right outside the IGA store and the blazed trail across the road (SR100).

And on the map they mention the prisons and "suggest" not to hitch hike.

If you're comfortable with hitching anyway, I think you'd probably be OK as long as you're not standing right along US 90 where all the prisons are, with your thumb out! ;)

ps are going to the soruck?

No. Will still be hiking the FL Trail. :banana

nitewalker
01-06-2008, 10:42
how close is the florida trail to the walmart located in inverness[whithlacoochee forrest] i have family living 5 min from the walmart and i am planing on hiking the area around ocala and south from the springs[juniper/alexandar] sometime in feburary after the daytona 500...

jnetx
01-06-2008, 15:54
how close is the florida trail to the walmart located in inverness[whithlacoochee forrest] i have family living 5 min from the walmart and i am planing on hiking the area around ocala and south from the springs[juniper/alexandar] sometime in feburary after the daytona 500...

The FL Trail paralells US41 through Inverness and crosses under SR 44 close to the US41/SR44 intersection using an underpass. I believe the Walmart is about 1 1/2 to 2 miles east of the US41/SR44 intersection.

nitewalker
01-07-2008, 09:24
The FL Trail paralells US41 through Inverness and crosses under SR 44 close to the US41/SR44 intersection using an underpass. I believe the Walmart is about 1 1/2 to 2 miles west of the US41/SR44 intersection.

jnetex

thanks for the help. i tought it was sumwhere in that area. i was down that way back in november [cruise to west carribean] at mothers hanging around but never actually went out and did the work i should have to find the exact spot where the FT is in corelation w/ moms house. so with your help i can say she lives about 5 miles away in citrus hills[ted williams used to live there]. now i can set up a route starting somewhere north and hike south rite back to her place. i have friends living behind the walmart, nice..

thanks for the help.. peace, nitewalker:D

Gray Blazer
01-07-2008, 10:38
jnetex

thanks for the help. i tought it was sumwhere in that area. i was down that way back in november [cruise to west carribean] at mothers hanging around but never actually went out and did the work i should have to find the exact spot where the FT is in corelation w/ moms house. so with your help i can say she lives about 5 miles away in citrus hills[ted williams used to live there]. now i can set up a route starting somewhere north and hike south rite back to her place. i have friends living behind the walmart, nice..

thanks for the help.. peace, nitewalker:D

Some big sandhills in that area. I'm gonna be organizing a dayhike soon from SR100 near Palatka (Bardin, home of the Bardin Booger Museum) to the trailhead in the Etoniah State Forest. It's 13 miles and passes by the Etoniah Creek Ravine (the Grand Canyon of the FT) and the Iron Bridge Shelter. Anyone up for it. I'm gonna talk to Rob123 (the original $1500 AT Thrubee Wanabee) and see if he's up for it. I was thinkink MLK,jr day Anyone?

ofthearth
01-07-2008, 15:27

Did I see you will be at the SoRuck? Have got some questions about your walk and the trail in general.

ofthearth

Hammock Hanger
01-07-2008, 20:38
I am looking forward to my hike with Mowgli but it sounds like we really could be BBQ'd!!

Gray Blazer
01-08-2008, 09:46
HH, I visited the FT Website. I enjoyed the pics. I did not see how to upload pics to the website. How would one go about doing that?

Hammock Hanger
01-09-2008, 19:51
HH, I visited the FT Website. I enjoyed the pics. I did not see how to upload pics to the website. How would one go about doing that?

to the offical FTA website? or the Florida Hikers site?

For the offical site you must send pics to Sandra Friend. Use the FTA email addy and note attn: Sandra Friend.

MOWGLI
01-09-2008, 19:56
Did I see you will be at the SoRuck? Have got some questions about your walk and the trail in general.

ofthearth

I'll be there Saturday evening. Catch me before or after my presentation. Earthworm will also be there. Try and chat with her. She knows more about the FT than me.

Jeffrey Hunter