PDA

View Full Version : Bear Line Rope

Kirby
10-28-2007, 09:42
I was curious what type of rope is strong enough to hold a properly created bear line? Will Nylon work?

Kirby

rafe
10-28-2007, 09:49
I was curious what type of rope is strong enough to hold a properly created bear line? Will Nylon work?

Rope... properly created... bear line... does not compute. Please rephrase.

Yes, any decent nylon twine should be fine. Test it first if you have any doubt. It's not rocket science.

buckowens
10-28-2007, 09:58
I use a military paracord which works well. It is strong as heck and relatively light.

take-a-knee
10-28-2007, 10:07
That super line that Gossamer Gear and others sells is the best thing I've found for a bear bag line. It is braided and VERY slick, it slides across the bark of a limb much better than paracord does. That sheath on paracord tends to grab the bark I've found.

Kirby
10-28-2007, 10:11
Rope... properly created... bear line... does not compute. Please rephrase.

Yes, any decent nylon twine should be fine. Test it first if you have any doubt. It's not rocket science.

Properly hanged bear line: I believe is when you throw a rope over a branch, attach your food bags to the rope, and tie the other end of the rope to something stable, and have the bags hanging far enough down from the brnch that varmint will have difficulty getting it, but high enough that a bear can not reach it. If someone could clarify exactly how one is properly tied, that would also be useful.

Sorry for the confusion,
Kirby

Toolshed
10-28-2007, 10:13
2 or 3 mm perlon

Toolshed
10-28-2007, 10:21
just toss a line over a branch 20-25' off the ground and as far away from any tree trunks as the branch will support. Try to suspend your food at least 5-8 feet below the branch.

rafe
10-28-2007, 10:28
Properly hanged bear line: I believe is when you throw a rope over a branch, attach your food bags to the rope, and tie the other end of the rope to something stable, and have the bags hanging far enough down from the brnch that varmint will have difficulty getting it, but high enough that a bear can not reach it. If someone could clarify exactly how one is properly tied, that would also be useful.

The food bag should end up at least 10' off the ground, at least 4' away from the trunk of the tree, and at least 4' feet below the branch itself. You're just trying to make it hard for a bear to get at. If possible, secure the free end to different tree.

Usually when I'm camping away from a shelter, I start the routine by scouting for a suitable tree and stringing the bear line, while the light is still good. Putting up the food bag might be the last thing I do before turning in for the night. Since the line is already up, it's just a matter of tying the bag to the line, hoisting it, and tying off the free end.

EWS
10-28-2007, 10:28
I got this Trline (http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=TRLINE)

Fiddleback
10-28-2007, 10:47
I like the PCT Method promoted by BackPackingLight and found here, http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html . I use paracord because it's more than strong enough, slick enough to not get hung up on branches and, most importantly, I had a bunch of it laying around.:D

Whatever rope you choose, make sure it doesn't damage the tree by cutting into the branch, etc.

FB

take-a-knee
10-28-2007, 12:41
That PCT method is what I use, and I believe that article is where I learned it. You should practice at home before you go out, tying that middle of the line clove hitch with outstretched arms standing on your toes is a bit of a trick.

Lone Wolf
10-28-2007, 12:43
you could sleep with your food bag. no rope needed then

Appalachian Tater
10-28-2007, 13:17
Another vote for the Fiddleback's advice, the PCT method, that particular article, and making sure that your line doesn't cut into trees.

Blissful
10-28-2007, 14:01

Several hikers did do that but then a gal did it on the trail early on and a mouse chewed a hole through her hubba tent. One feedback like that for me and the food went out of the tent. Except one time - when it was raining like crazy with high winds and 35 degrees at Liberty Springs tentsite and I said there was no way any animal small or big would be out there in that. The food stayed with us. And we ate in our tent, carefully, if that's possible. :)

Blissful
10-28-2007, 14:03
Also, you'll find plenty of used rope along the trail. We left our walmart camo stuff at home for some real good parachute-type stuff we found on the trail.

dessertrat
10-28-2007, 14:06
I like the PCT Method promoted by BackPackingLight and found here, http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html . I use paracord because it's more than strong enough, slick enough to not get hung up on branches and, most importantly, I had a bunch of it laying around.:D

Whatever rope you choose, make sure it doesn't damage the tree by cutting into the branch, etc.

FB

That looks like a really good method; I will try it next time. I was going to say, it seems to me that if a bear can get to your rope at all, it won't matter how strong the rope is-- game over, bear fatter, hiker skinnier.

The idea should be to keep both the rope and the bag out of reach of the bear. I usually am lazy, and use the traditional method. The two bag method is better, and I have used it, but it's difficult. The PCT method looks like a winner.

dessertrat
10-28-2007, 14:12
Oops, I misread the question. Not, will the rope resist a bear, but will it hold the weight of the food? Almost anything will work, if it is rated at a weight more than that of what you are asking it to hold. There is some safety margin in the "test" of a rope, usually. Don't exceed it and you'll be fine.

buckowens
10-28-2007, 14:59
That super line that Gossamer Gear and others sells is the best thing I've found for a bear bag line. It is braided and VERY slick, it slides across the bark of a limb much better than paracord does. That sheath on paracord tends to grab the bark I've found.

T.A.K.,

I am going to try some of that. The lack of being slick, especially when wet is a downfall of paracord. Thanks for the suggestion!

veteran
10-28-2007, 15:16
That Gossamer Gear line is a little pricey.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/spectra_line.html

mudhead
10-28-2007, 17:33
EMS in Portland should have a fine selection. Really small diameter could harm trees. Dick's at the mall has parachute cord, and it really is strong enough if you pull the white core out.

Go do homework.

(Of the school variety.)

Kirby
10-28-2007, 17:35
EMS in Portland should have a fine selection. Really small diameter could harm trees. Dick's at the mall has parachute cord, and it really is strong enough if you pull the white core out.

Go do homework.

(Of the school variety.)

All my homework is done, but thanks for the concern. I am working right now on the logistics of my thru.

Kirby

mudhead
10-28-2007, 17:46
Got every thing read for the month of November?

Last shed of concern from me.

Have a good time.

Kirby
10-28-2007, 18:07
I have all assigned work done, and all extra work that has been assigned for when I am gone in the third trimester(my high school uses trimesters instead of semesters, do not ask why, I have no idea) has been completed to the fullest extent possible, I have to receive advice on some confusing work.

Thanks for the concern though,
Kirby

Appalachian Tater
10-28-2007, 18:14
(my high school uses trimesters instead of semesters, do not ask why, I have no idea)

Be glad, you get to take a wider variety of courses during the academic year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_term

Nightwalker
10-29-2007, 00:12
Are you talking about the Spectra or EZC?

I like the PCT Method promoted by BackPackingLight and found here, http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/bear_bag_hanging_technique.html.
When I hang a bag, that's the method that I use. Sly taught it to me. He da man, man.

That's what I usually do, but in SNP, I just didn't want to be bothered by the bears. They're thick as possums there, or at least were when I was up earlier this year.

All my homework is done, but thanks for the concern. I am working right now on the logistics of my thru.

Kirby
You talk back better than any young 'un that I've seen online. Tough but not a jerk. You've got a good attitude, and a good chance of making it. :)

Hope I'm not jinxing you!

take-a-knee
10-29-2007, 00:21
Nightwalker, the spectra is what I use. When I first read the PCT article a couple of years ago, I tried it on a tree in my front yard with GI paracord (the 375# green stuff). The paracord wanted to stick on the bark, if the food bag had about a days food in it, it didn't want to slide down sometimes. I googled bear bag and found this spectra reccommended, it works as advertised.

mozzie
10-29-2007, 00:57
in the marcy area of the adk.s the bears look for ropes on trees.its like christmas for them.saw a mother teaching the kids just what to do.canisters were not around then.what we usedto do is .food in dry bag,bag into leg of jogging shorts,piss all over shorts i never had any food stolen.getting to your food sucks ,but you have food

Peaks
10-29-2007, 08:15
in the marcy area of the adk.s the bears look for ropes on trees.its like christmas for them.saw a mother teaching the kids just what to do.canisters were not around then.what we usedto do is .food in dry bag,bag into leg of jogging shorts,piss all over shorts i never had any food stolen.getting to your food sucks ,but you have food

High Peaks area now requires canisters.

rafe
10-29-2007, 08:17
High Peaks area now requires canisters.

That's good to know. It's been a while since I hiked and camped there. Always had a good time though. Awesome mountains.

Froggy
10-29-2007, 10:42
For cord, also see:
http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e827.asp
I've bought from them before and they did fine. Good prices.

These rope comments apply to Spectra, too.

Also, I've used the same rope in the 1/4" size for my boat. In addition to being slippery, it softens with use to quite a nice hand. But beware that knots can slip undone. Slippery works both ways. Use multiple knots and a stopper knot. I've use a figure 8 for a stopper, and that works. But no knot or series of knot will hold the full strength of the rope. You need to splice the rope for that. On the other hand, how often will you need the full strength of the line, anyway?