PDA

View Full Version : Dick's Creek to NOC Hike Finished

Summit
10-28-2007, 18:16
Started 10/20 and finished 10/27 - yes was out there during the three day deluge. In fact, did Albert Mtn. during heavy rain.

I'd like to thank Frank for the lift from Wesser (NOC) to Ron's Budget Inn and your company day one. And thanks to Ron Haven for the shuttle to Dick's Creek. Awesome to finally meet you! And I'd like to thank God for the rain that definately helped the water situation (see my water report in "WATER NC / GA?" thread).

Saturday and Sunday were beautiful. Mon/Tue/Wed - rain, rain, and more rain. Thursday was cloudy with some breaks of sun. Friday and Saturday were beautiful. Enjoyed the full moon those last two nights, especially at Wesser Bald Shelter, where Almighty God used the moon and a few clouds to put on an awesome light show! :)

Peace and blessings!

Smile
10-28-2007, 23:55
Hey Summit, glad you had a great hike :)

Summit
10-29-2007, 06:45
Hey Summit, glad you had a great hike :)Thanks Smile!

Already thinking about what my spring hike is going to be! :) Also went to REI yesterday with my wife and gave her a couple of Christmas list ideas . . . trekking poles and a new Thermorest ground pad! :) My current Thermorest pad is over 30 years old and while it still inflates/holds air, I think the foam has probably deteriorated substantially. Time for a new one!

I"ve never used trekking poles so will be looking in the gear forums and researching to see what's best. I liked REI's "Peak UL Carbon Shocklites, made of carbon fiber and weighing only 13.5 ounces.

Might do all or part of the Bartram Trail in the spring. Any experiences out there?

DesertMTB
10-29-2007, 14:53
Started 10/20 and finished 10/27 - yes was out there during the three day deluge. In fact, did Albert Mtn. during heavy rain.

I'd like to thank Frank for the lift from Wesser (NOC) to Ron's Budget Inn and your company day one. And thanks to Ron Haven for the shuttle to Dick's Creek. Awesome to finally meet you! And I'd like to thank God for the rain that definately helped the water situation (see my water report in "WATER NC / GA?" thread).

Saturday and Sunday were beautiful. Mon/Tue/Wed - rain, rain, and more rain. Thursday was cloudy with some breaks of sun. Friday and Saturday were beautiful. Enjoyed the full moon those last two nights, especially at Wesser Bald Shelter, where Almighty God used the moon and a few clouds to put on an awesome light show! :)

Peace and blessings!

Hey summit, I did the same hike during the same timeframe. Missed you somehow. We stayed the night at Wesser Bald Shelter. That is the new one correct? We were going to push on to Cold Mountain Shelter, but came up on that one and stayed there for the evening.

whitefoot_hp
10-29-2007, 15:28
Might do all or part of the Bartram Trail in the spring. Any experiences out there?
I have went from Russell Bridge to a few miles south of the NC/GA border, last January. Beuatiful along the Chattooga and on Rabun Bald.

Summit
10-29-2007, 16:03
Hey summit, I did the same hike during the same timeframe. Missed you somehow. We stayed the night at Wesser Bald Shelter. That is the new one correct? We were going to push on to Cold Mountain Shelter, but came up on that one and stayed there for the evening.Hmm, my campsites were:

Sat - Bly Gap
Sun - Kimsey Creek (100 yds down from Standing Indian Shelter)
Mon - Carter Gap Shelter (rain)
Tue - Big Spring Shelter (ton of rain) only 5.x miles that day but next shelter (Rock Gap) had no water.
Wed - campsite .3 miles N. of Winding Stair Gap
Thur - Weyah Bald Shelter (tent camped - no one at shelter that night)
Fri - Wesser Bald Shelter (tent camped - two guys at shelter SOBO)

DesertMTB
10-30-2007, 09:10
Hmm, my campsites were:

Sat - Bly Gap
Sun - Kimsey Creek (100 yds down from Standing Indian Shelter)
Mon - Carter Gap Shelter (rain)
Tue - Big Spring Shelter (ton of rain) only 5.x miles that day but next shelter (Rock Gap) had no water.
Wed - campsite .3 miles N. of Winding Stair Gap
Thur - Weyah Bald Shelter (tent camped - no one at shelter that night)
Fri - Wesser Bald Shelter (tent camped - two guys at shelter SOBO)

You don't get a little freaked out when camping alone? I think I could handle a night or two by myself. But not a whole week. Good thing my brother is my hiking partner.

gold bond
10-30-2007, 09:17
Summit great job!! I just finished from Deep Gap to NOC about two weeks ago. Had a wonderful time.A very nice section. We started from Wesser about 8:30 that Sunday morning down to the NOC. Found a place to walk out on and WOW!! It was awesome! If some people can not find a reason to believeor a reason to pray...just look around at the top of Wesser or from the tower on Albert!

Summit
10-30-2007, 12:30
You don't get a little freaked out when camping alone? I think I could handle a night or two by myself. But not a whole week. Good thing my brother is my hiking partner.Hee hee! I had people nearby 3 of the 7 nights. Sorry we missed each other. I'd love to have met ya! I'm fine with or without company however . . . as you know, I've always got the Most High right there with me! ;)

Summit
10-30-2007, 12:41
Summit great job!! I just finished from Deep Gap to NOC about two weeks ago. Had a wonderful time.A very nice section. We started from Wesser about 8:30 that Sunday morning down to the NOC. Found a place to walk out on and WOW!! It was awesome! If some people can not find a reason to believe or a reason to pray...just look around at the top of Wesser or from the tower on Albert!Yes, and Weyah Bald is another mind boggling view!

The reason some don't is: "The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned." 1 Corinthians 2:14 ESV

rayc1997
11-09-2007, 05:42
If some people can not find a reason to believeor a reason to pray...just look around at the top of Wesser or from the tower on Albert!

Could I second that and call for a vote? At least for Albert. Add the view from the Wayah Bald tower to the list. Only problem was I sweated so much climbing Albert that I shorted out my D100.

Coit

Doughnut
11-09-2007, 06:16
I have a long weekend starting this afternoon, I am doing the loop from Deep Gap to Rock Gap, hopefully I'll get some great photos to post here,

Dough Nut

Ron Haven
11-10-2007, 00:51

Peace and blessings!Summit,glad you made it and had fun.That is all a beautiful hike.

High Life
11-10-2007, 08:20
ha ! just did this hike SOBO style .. fun fun fun .. 67 miles left