PDA

View Full Version : Shakedown hike in 08: North or South from Highpoint?

Tosto
10-29-2007, 00:31
I'm planning a thru-hike in '09, but I would like to do a bunch of preparatory long term (2-5 weeks) hikes on the AT next summer to figure out gear usage and what I need/don't need.

I live very close to Highpoint, NJ so I thought I could start there, but I've been told the trail north of Highpoint is extremely difficult. I'm not scared of being discourage, I just don't need to have my butt kicked to accomplish what I want.

Any thoughts on going north or south from Highpoint for a shakedown hike?

rafe
10-29-2007, 00:41
Neither direction from Highpoint is terribly difficult. If you head north, the really tough stuff starts just north of Hanover NH. If you head south, it's fairly mellow right on through Shenandoah National Park. Not to say it's a walk in the woods, but relatively easy by AT standards.

A-Train
10-29-2007, 01:21
well weather, condition and terrain-wise, it's not likely to matter what direction you go in. Frankly if I had a few weeks, I'd go north-you could probably make it to Dalton Mass fairly comfortably in 2-3 weeks where you have fairly easy bus access. Most of us aren't huge fans of Pennsylvania especially in mid-summer. Since you're going to have to do it in 09' assuming you thru-hike, i'd definately go north. You'll have most thru-hikers passing you at about 20 miles a day, but you'll have plenty of company.

Not sure who told you north of High Point was difficult, but after the rocks peter out in a few miles you have some of the easiest miles of the whole trail

Cookerhiker
10-29-2007, 19:29
I'd also recommend you hike north. While I wouldn't characterize 2-5 weeks hiking north as ""extremely difficult," I feel you'll benefit from it. About 2 days after High Point when you cross Rt. 17A near Greenwood Lake, you'll have a couple of days of short but steep up-and-downs until you cross the Hudson River.

jersey joe
10-30-2007, 14:13
I would head North. PA is flatter, but the mountains in NY and NJ aren't as bad as other places on the trail.
PA is one of the more boring states as there are very few views.
One thing to consider is that the AT in NY and NJ is very crowded in the summer months.

rafe
10-31-2007, 08:25
One thing to consider is that the AT in NY and NJ is very crowded in the summer months.

And yet... may be deserted after Labor Day. I went nearly 48 hours, between the NYS Thruway (roughly) and NJ Rte 94, without seeing a soul. That was in mid-September, 2006.