PDA

View Full Version : insulated pants,whats best

mozzie
10-29-2007, 01:13
have a puffball hoody.marmot down vest,need ins. pants light wt.anything new out there?need advice

TOW
10-29-2007, 03:51
just use the layer method, that works best............

Footslogger
10-29-2007, 09:11
Closest thing I ever found was the PLQ pant by Integral Designs:

http://www.google.com/products?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=TSHA,TSHA:2006-14,TSHA:en&q=integral+designs+primaloft+pants&um=1

Bought them specifically for cold weather hiking/camping. Watched for a sale on them though cuz they're kinda pricey. They are too warm for hiking but fantastic for sleeping. Very light and compressible.

'Slogger

sonic
10-29-2007, 09:48
I like the layering method best. I always warm up shortly into my hike and have to start peeling things off. Best to have something there to peel. :eek:

SGT Rock
10-29-2007, 10:42
Army field pants liners.

Dirtygaiters
10-29-2007, 17:44
I like the layering method best. I always warm up shortly into my hike and have to start peeling things off. Best to have something there to peel. :eek:

Unless you're climbing Denali, then you're right, insulated pants make a poor choice for hiking in. But they're great for sleeping in and around camp use in winter, especially if you want to extend your sleeping bag's temperature rating. For quilt users, especially, insulated pants are a must in winter time.

bigcranky
10-29-2007, 18:34
I use Powerstretch tights in the winter. Not for hiking (too warm), but around camp and in my bag, they're great.

Lyle
10-29-2007, 18:41
Mid weight poly pro with thrift store wool dress pants for dead of winter. Rain pants if needed beyond that.

sweetpeastu
10-30-2007, 14:43
question about patagonia's women's micro puff pants 1) do you find that they run small? 2) do you like them/what sorta conditions have you used them in? Any info would be appreciated.

I'll continue to read this thread. Forgive me if these questions have already been addressed.

sweetpeastu
10-30-2007, 14:44
btw, I'm looking for something super warm for around camp. I have a tendency to freeze to death for some reason.

SGT Rock
10-30-2007, 14:49
I'm very serious. Before you spend a whole lot of money on something based on brand name or modern materials - you really ought to check these out: http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/item/US1014

mozzie
10-30-2007, 14:59
dead on ROCK,all they have left is small i will search around.
p.s. they are intened for around camp.i hike in very little. even in snow.

SGT Rock
10-30-2007, 15:00
Check local surplus stores. They run larger than normal sizes.

Mags
10-30-2007, 15:17
I'm very serious. Before you spend a whole lot of money on something based on brand name or modern materials - you really ought to check these out: http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/item/US1014

I used these two weeks ago. They are TOASTY and CHEAP.

Kerosene
10-30-2007, 15:49
On the not-so-cheap (but light at 7-8 oz!) end, check out the Cocoon UL 60 (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/cocoon_ul_60_pant.html) pants insulated with Polarguard Delta (only $180!).

sweetpeastu
10-30-2007, 16:06
i dont fit so well into mens pants....i've tried before.

SGT Rock
10-30-2007, 16:09
Get a set and modify them for fit. Mine are slightly over 8 ounces.

sweetpeastu
10-30-2007, 16:20
modify them for fit....you're not understanding that I really really don't fit into mens pants but thank you for the suggestion. It would cost me more money and time to properly modify these pants. I'd have to get a pair thats way too big (something to fit in the crotch-as guys pants tend to be too short there for some reason) and then I'd have to take them in in a MAJOR way in the waist and hips etc etc. Its not worth the time and energy.

SGT Rock
10-30-2007, 16:21
These have short legs on purpose.

sweetpeastu
10-30-2007, 16:27
not talking about the inseam of the pants, I'm talking about the point at which the crotch of the pant starts and goes up to ..... bleh. forget it. lol.

Mocs123
10-30-2007, 17:16
sweetpeastu- insulated womens pants seem to be hard to find. I don't even see the mico puff pants avalible in womens sizes on patagonia's website. There are many good choices in mens pants (Montbell Thermawrap (which I own), BMW Cocoon, Integral Designs PLQ, Patagonia Micro Puff, etc) but not many options for womens pants. You might look at the Mont-Bell UL down pants. They are lighter than the micro puff pants (or lighter than they would be if I could find them) and look very warm.

Mocs123
10-30-2007, 17:17
Forgot to mention that the Mont-Bells are avalible in a womens version. Here is the link:

http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=72&p_id=2301320

DawgU
10-31-2007, 06:02
The Cocoon's at BPL are awesome, but I'd try on the army ones first. Last I heard (and God bless them for it) there are women in the army

sweetpeastu
10-31-2007, 11:23
im aware there are women in the army...but the army supply stores around here only seem to have mens pants which dont fit me as I've already stated. Ya'll wanna argue this point some more? lol.

sweetpeastu
10-31-2007, 11:25
Mocs, thank you for the info. I have actually found the womens micro puff on the patagonia site..I think it took some searching though.

So do you like the Mont Bell thermawraps?

SGT Rock
10-31-2007, 11:25
These pants are not made in women's and mens. Neither are the utility and combat uniforms. The only uniforms that come in womens' and mens' are the dress uniforms.

sweetpeastu
10-31-2007, 11:46
ahh well no wonder!

Mocs123
10-31-2007, 11:48
I do like my Thermawrap pants although I have only used them on two trips (I have taken them on many trips and not needed them). I do however have a few complaints:

They run a little small (as does much of the Mont-Bell stuff)
They have alot of un needed features such as
-full leg zippers
-zip and button fly
-handwarmer pockets

My mediums run a little over 10 ounces.

If money were no object I would probably have gone with the Cocoon pants, but I found the thermawraps for $80 less.

For comparison between the thermawraps and the Micro Puffs, I have both a thermawrap jacket and a micro puff pullover and the pullover is maybe 5-7* warmer, but is heaver than the thermawrap. My thermawrap jacket is a 2005 and my pants are a 2006. I bought the Micro Puff used so I am not sure what year it is, but it looks new.

Patagonia recently changed the micro puff line to a new "green" insulation. It is a bit heavier and I am not sure how it compares performace wise to the old Polarguard Delta. So it probably depends on how old the stock is as to what insulation are used in the pants.

sweetpeastu
10-31-2007, 12:03
ohh thanks Mocs. That certainly gives me a lot to think about. I wonder why they'd feel the need to put hand warmer pockets in pants when most jackets have that feature. lol.

I dunno bout this "green insulatation" stuff. I'm not a fan of more weight. I'll keep searchin.

Sooooo since you've worn these pants, what sorta temps would you wear them in?

Mocs123
10-31-2007, 12:38
I have been fine down to the mid thirties in them. I haven't used them any lower, but I will probably get the chance this winter. I have a trip planned in November, December, and the Linville trip in January.

I tend to be a cold natured person, but my Thermawrap Jacket is good to 38-40* and my Micro Puff to 30-32*.

mothermenke
10-31-2007, 18:50
Just to let you guys know, diamondbacktactical.com is having a sale on the military version of the micro puff pants. They're made by patagonia and are just the same, but are on sale for $84.

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/MARS-Micro-Puff-Pant-Level-7-Ranger-Green--P2450C324.aspx