PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Pad Length

TripleG
10-29-2007, 09:39
What is the best way to determine which sleeping pad length to get ?

I am 5' 4".....my bag is a 6' bag

I am thinking of getting the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core - they have several sizes to choose from. The regular size is 6'...???

Thanks
Mary

take-a-knee
10-29-2007, 10:06
I would sell that 6' bag and get one that fits you, that is a lot of extra volume to heat. Thermarest makes women's length pads that would be perfect, or just cut off a z-rest.

Deadeye
10-29-2007, 10:07
I've always used a shorty pad (torso pad), and put extra clothes under my feet, or nothing. I'm 6' tall. When I switched to a Big Agnes insulated air core, their shortest pad was the 60" mummy, and it's luxurious. I wind up with my feet on the pad if I'm sleeping on my side, or in fetal position. IMHO, at your height, anything longer would just be unecessary weight and cost.

Pennsylvania Rose
10-29-2007, 10:11
6' seems awfully long. I'm the same height as you and use a blue foam pad that's about 5' long. My feet usually get hot, so I don't mind letting them hang off the end.

Doughnut
10-29-2007, 10:14
I use a standard length blue pad, if the ground's rocky (or a hard shelter floor) I fold it in half for double padding.

I think this winter I will switch to a thermarest, since my bones are older...

rafe
10-29-2007, 10:28
If you want to save weight, use a shorty pad and rest your feet on your (empty) pack.

Deadeye
10-29-2007, 10:48
If you want to save weight, use a shorty pad and rest your feet on your (empty) pack.

True, but if you have arthritis and want to sleep without pain for a change, get yourself a Big Agnes!

For extra dreaminess, put Big Agnes in your hammock!

Alligator
10-29-2007, 10:51
If you want to save weight, use a shorty pad and rest your feet on your (empty) pack.Or a shorty pad and a small piece of blue foam. The foam could double as a sit pad if you wanted it to.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-29-2007, 11:14
Many people use the 3/4 length BA pads (48") with 6' sleeping bags. If you opt for the shorter pad, you can always use your pack under your legs for insulation and softness. Most people's legs don't need as much padding or insulation as shoulders and butts - the exceptions are those with unusually cold feet or things like pins, artificial joints or circulatory problems.

If you are using a BA sleeping bag, I'd use the 6' pad because the BA bags rely on the pad to provide all insulation from the ground. I use the 6" length rectangular because I have a lot of metal in my right leg and it tends to get really cold without a lot of insulation and I need to be able to move the leg around at night for comfort. The 6' rectangular is overkill for most people's needs.

AT-HITMAN2005
10-29-2007, 16:10
im 6' or so tall and used the 3/4 length thermarest and a Western mountaineering megalite and never got cold, never had to put my pack under my feet either so its preference. and cuts the weight some. didn't really think about it til i read this but i'll have to keep in mind my wife is about 5'4" also so will look for a shorter bag for warmth and weight.

Peaks
10-29-2007, 17:33
As others have posted, pad length depends on if you need padding under your legs. Most 3/4 pads cushion your hips and shoulders. How much do you need? Buy a cheap closed cell pad at Walmart, and then try sleeping on a hard floor.

Spirit Walker
10-29-2007, 19:00
If you are sleeping in shelters most of the time, you'll want more padding. That wood gets hard.

If you are camping most of the time, then a 3/4 length ridgerest may be enough. The ground isn't as hard as the shelter floors. That's what we use. When it's cold I put my pants or rainjacket under my feet for insulation. It works for me.

Uncle Tom
11-08-2007, 14:08
I ended up getting the long, rectangular Big Agnes Air Core . I am 6'2". I started real light, and got heavier as I completed my AT hike. It is the Cadillac.

mindi
11-08-2007, 21:28
I'm 5' and I used the 3/4 length. I practically fit my whole body onto it. You can always throw some clothes or something under your feet if you need to.