PDA

View Full Version : Dogs Found near Asheville, NC need home

Chris_Asheville
10-29-2007, 10:23
Hey folks,

On Sat. I was hiking near Hot Springs, NC and on the way back to Asheville, I saw two Redbone Coonhounds standing on the side of the highway. I couldn't let them stand there, so I turned around and picked them up. They were wicked thin and looked like they had been out in the woods for a while. I tried to take them to two shelters, one was closed and one wouldn't take them because I found them in a nearby county. So they came home with me....

They have been eating a ton, drinking a lot of water and sleeping in a makeshift barn in my attached storage unit. They have a dog bed, down bag and a blanket. Over the past 48 hours, they haven't gone to the bathroom on my deck once! I take them out on a leash and they do their business while we walk. It's quite nice! They are getting some energy back and are starting to feel better. They are WONDERFUL with my lab and would be a great addition to anyone's family. I can send pictures if anyone is seriously interested. I want to see them go to someone who will treat them well and not like their previous jackass owner who didn't get them fixed nor fed them.
I hear the shelter I tried to take them to is a high kill shelter and it would just break my heart to see that happen to these kids (1 boy and 1 girl - bro and sis?). I think they are both under 2 years old.

Thanks!

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2007, 10:53
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24185

Chris_Asheville
10-29-2007, 11:06
What's that supposed to mean?

Lone Wolf
10-29-2007, 11:08

i think he's suggesting you might be a thief

Newb
10-29-2007, 11:08
No Collars? If they aren't collared and there's no ads out looking for them then they're abandoned property, right?

Chris_Asheville
10-29-2007, 11:10
Thief? Riiiight.. No collars, standing on the side of the highway, starving.. I stopped at every gas station nearby and left my phone number as well as the big grocery store in Marshall.
Tater, don't be an *******.

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2007, 11:13

It means be careful or you can hassled for rescuing a lost hunting dog.

unl1988
10-29-2007, 11:14
Sounds like you did the right thing, unfortunately some other folks didn't back in May.

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2007, 11:16
Thief? Riiiight.. No collars, standing on the side of the highway, starving.. I stopped at every gas station nearby and left my phone number as well as the big grocery store in Marshall.
Tater, don't be an *******.

If you read the thread I linked to you wouldn't be calling me whatever you called me.

Chris_Asheville
10-29-2007, 11:18
How could it be construed as stealing? Thanks 1988, I was looking out for the dog. I'm not trying to sell them, I'm just looking for someone to take them off my hands. They deserve a nice place to live.
Sorry Tater, I thought you were going the other way with that.

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2007, 11:21
Sounds like you did the right thing, unfortunately some other folks didn't back in May.

Actually it seems like he did. For some reason the owner of the dog convinced the sheriff otherwise.

Chris_Asheville
10-29-2007, 11:30
I found a bloodhound on the Blue Ridge Parkway about 6 months ago ( my gf thinks someone is trying to tell me to get a hound). He had a collar and identification. I tried to call the number from my cell on the parkway and couldn't get service. I took "Gomer" home and called and his owner came and picked him up.
Just a thought.. Why do all these hounds run away?! Or, should I say.. run to me?!

Nightwalker
10-29-2007, 13:31
Why do all these hounds run away?! Or, should I say.. run to me?!

My wife calls me Dr. Doolittle because all the animals talk to me. Maybe you've got some of that as well.

hacksaw
10-29-2007, 15:10
I found a bloodhound on the Blue Ridge Parkway about 6 months ago ( my gf thinks someone is trying to tell me to get a hound). He had a collar and identification. I tried to call the number from my cell on the parkway and couldn't get service. I took "Gomer" home and called and his owner came and picked him up.
Just a thought.. Why do all these hounds run away?! Or, should I say.. run to me?!

Probably because of the style of hunting they are used for. You take them to the woods and release them. They are supposed to either tree the game (as in 'coons or bears, etc) or to run the game to where you release them. The better the dogs perform these specific tasks the more prized dogs they are considered to be. The lineage of working (in this case hunting) dogs reflects the sires/dams hunting skills AND purity of the breed's bloodline. I come from a long line of rabbit hunting dog breeders, although I am not a dog breeder.

AT-HITMAN2005
10-29-2007, 16:20
just south of pearisburg in 05 the group i was hiking with found a puppy with a collar. we alternated carrying it til we got to town. it was in no mood to walk anymore. owner was happy to see it,too.

Chris_Asheville
10-29-2007, 17:01
Thanks Hacksaw, makes more sense now.

MOWGLI
10-29-2007, 17:05
You seem like a good guy with a big heart Chris. I'd take one if I could, but I can't.

warraghiyagey
10-29-2007, 17:14
You seem like a good guy with a big heart Chris. I'd take one if I could, but I can't.

Yeah Chris. Not sure where the earlier sentiments and thief suggestions came from. I didn't see anything in your post that suggested anything other than you doing the right and good thing.
And yes, I have read the entirety of the other thread, preemptively.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-29-2007, 17:29
I moved this to the Dog forum so the thread would be more likely to be seen by someone interested in adopting a new hiking companion.

leeki pole
10-29-2007, 17:47
Good job Chris. You saved a couple of lives, and that speaks volumes about your character. Wish I could help out, but I've got three rescues now. Good luck!

Chris_Asheville
10-30-2007, 09:51
Thanks for the well wishes from everyone, I really appreciate it. Hopefully we can get a great home for these two hounds! If ANYONE is interested, please let me know.
Thanks again!

Marta
10-30-2007, 10:20
We had a couple of bear hounds follow us most of this past weekend around Standing Indian. In fact, it's rare for me to go into that area in the winter and NOT have bear dogs as company. (These two dogs had collars with their owner's name. I called and left him a message about where they were.) They do make great trail dogs. Very friendly. Great stamina. Grateful for any little scrap of attention or food.

Alas, my husband and I also talked about the fact that they'd make TERRIBLE city dogs.

Good luck with either finding their owners, or finding a new home for them.

BumpJumper
10-30-2007, 12:30
Dino.....though this is probably the place for this topic.....I can hardly see a hunting dog as a hiking dog....wouldnt it run away all the time? I was thinking of that one of these dogs could be a partner for me...but then I wondered if they would run away all the time and I am left alone again....:confused:

warraghiyagey
10-30-2007, 12:54
Dino.....though this is probably the place for this topic.....I can hardly see a hunting dog as a hiking dog....wouldnt it run away all the time? I was thinking of that one of these dogs could be a partner for me...but then I wondered if they would run away all the time and I am left alone again....:confused:

The entire essence of a dog is not locked into the category humans put on them. They are as individual as people.

Appalachian Tater
10-30-2007, 12:59

Dogs are more faithful than human companions.

Marta
10-30-2007, 13:23

This invites a number of not-very-nice retorts, but I will refrain....

shuffle
10-30-2007, 13:26
I would love to see what they are like and possible adopt them. I live near Henderson, NC which is about 4 hours from Ashville. Could you email me to give me details. I have been looking for just the right dogs to adopt. Was thinking of some greyhounds. I have lots of place to walk and let them exercise.

leeki pole
10-30-2007, 16:44
A very profound, yet true statement. Any good dog would lay down her life for you, no questions asked. Especially rescues, they seem to know that they have two strikes against them already.
Shuffle, I hope it works out for you to adopt them.

Nightwalker
10-30-2007, 21:05

If you attacked me, my dog would bark and growl. My wife would try to kill you with her bare hands. My wife has been with me 18 years. The longest dog so far was 14.

Therefore, I respectfully disagree. :)

Chris_Asheville
10-31-2007, 10:07
Thanks soo much to everyone for the help and friendly remarks regarding the hound dogs found on Sat. Last night, one of the hunters who owns the dogs came by to pick them up and was very happy to have them back. The dogs seemed equally happy. They had someone remove their collars and went lost. They were in the woods for about 36 hours before I found them. At least they had a few days to gorge themselves before heading back to the farm!

Thanks again,
Chris

Marta
10-31-2007, 10:10
Very glad to hear that the owner and the dogs have been reunited! I hope the owner appreciated your care and concern.

Chris_Asheville
10-31-2007, 10:38
He really did. They both called me on seperate occasions to thank me. He said he had raised lose pups since they were born and was very attached to them. He is still missing two more, an old male and a young female.

The Solemates
10-31-2007, 13:35
same thing happened to me last fall while hiking the ozark highlands trail, except we ended up having the dog for 3 months before his owner cared to have him back. this deer dog had a collar, but he was a good 50 miles from his home, so I picked him up. I wasnt about to go 100 miles out of my way to take him back home, so I took the dog home with me. the hound was completely emaciated and infested with ticks. i pulled over 100 ticks off of him and he ate nearly 25 lbs of food in a week. I called 8-10 times a day for weeks and the owner never would answer. i left messages and everything. turns out he was in nebraska for a job assignment for nearly 6 months and left his dogs to fend for themselves while he was away. the owner was a real jerk...wouldnt drive 3.5 hours to come get his dog. i ended up having to take "bouncer" back to him on my next hiking trip out there. i shoulda just kept the dog.

Appalachian Tater
10-31-2007, 14:26
si shoulda just kept the dog.

For the dog's sake, it would have been a good idea. That is abandonment/neglect.

Chris_Asheville, did the owner explain why and how they got away??

warraghiyagey
10-31-2007, 14:32
Glad to hear everything worked out. And while I understand that hunting dogs can be a little on the svelte side I'm wondering why they were so thin after only 36 hours lost. Hoping they are returning to good care.

Marta
10-31-2007, 14:46
Glad to hear everything worked out. And while I understand that hunting dogs can be a little on the svelte side I'm wondering why they were so thin after only 36 hours lost. Hoping they are returning to good care.

I haven't seen these particular hounds, of course, but in general, these dogs have very, very fine coats, so every bump and knob of rib and spine show. Plus they run like demons all day every day. Back when we lived in a rural area, we had a few lost hunting dogs adopt us. Even with free-choice food and regular worming/vet care, you could still see their ribs. A couple of days without food, and the stomach area is pretty much concave.