PDA

View Full Version : PA rt 501 or rt 645 PARKING

theurbansuburban
10-29-2007, 12:17
Hey all, I'm planning on doing a hike from Swatara Gap then head north to either rt 645 or rt 501. Any one know which one has better/safer over night parking?
Also if anyone knows the water availability at the Blue Mtn Campsite/William Penn Shelter, I'd Greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

gibsygoldtop
10-29-2007, 13:08
I have parked at 645 twice with no issues. I know the parking lot is bigger at 501 but don't know about safetly. There are alot of people in and out from there. But I would say if you don't have anything visible, you should be fine.

I was out and did that section in the beginning of summer and water was flowing good. But I can't tell you have things are lately.

rafe
10-29-2007, 13:15
The spring at Wm. Penn was dry this summer. The creek at Hertlein campsite was flowing nicely. This info from mid-August, so take it for what it's worth.

Lyle
10-29-2007, 14:07
Possibly contact the Caretaker at 501 shelter and ask if you could park in his yard. I know they have had issues with vandalism when vehicles were left at the roadside.

Another option (this is what I did) was to contact the PaMoneypit hostle. I stayed with Fritz and Amy Lu and they allowed me to leave my vehicle in their yard. Is limited space, but they will probably give you shuttle to or from the trail head. Their number is in both the companion and Wingfoot's book I believe.

emerald
10-29-2007, 14:50
There are 2 BMECC members you should contact. They're apt to be your best sources of current information.

Kimmel Lookout/501 Shelter's resident caretaker can advise you on parking at PA 501. I will PM you his home phone number. Also inquire with him about the spring when you call as he's apt to have current information supplied by NOBOs.

PM shelterbuilder about the spring. He's BMECC's lead person maintaining BMECC's composting privies and also maintains a section of the A.T. nearby. He probably visits William Penn Shelter more than any other club member.

I wouldn't let a dry spring interfere with your hike. Bring water from home if you must and use it wisely.

Toolshed
10-29-2007, 23:10
I used PA 645 twice in the last 5 years with no issues. We had a lot of rain the past few days, so springs might be firing up again here.

shelterbuilder
10-30-2007, 09:31
I will try to get out to Wm Penn shelter to check the water situation this week (maybe Thursday or Friday), and I will post to this thread so that everyone can see it. Until that post, my PM to theurbansuburban stands as "current" info: the spring is dry as of 3 weeks ago.

By the way, many folks have asked why the shelter was placed on the south side of the ridge when the spring is on the north side. Land ownership issues! The shelter and privy are on NPS land; the rest of the area is State Game Lands (and as such, the "blaze orange rules" apply during hunting season). Primitive, one-night camping is permitted within 200 feet of the footpath on SGL, but you must be more than 500 feet away from all water sources.

YeOldeBackpacker
10-30-2007, 16:32
As of Yesterday the spring across from Wm. Penn shelter just past the campsite was running, There is a YELLOW JACKETS NEST at the top end of the pipe where it comes out of the ground.

Smile
10-30-2007, 17:04
Ouch, that's good information to know!

I have to agree, parking at the 501 lot is not a good choice.

shelterbuilder
10-30-2007, 17:53
As of Yesterday the spring across from Wm. Penn shelter just past the campsite was running, There is a YELLOW JACKETS NEST at the top end of the pipe where it comes out of the ground.

Well, then, I guess we won't be fiddling with the top end of the pipe, now, will we?:eek:

shelterbuilder
10-30-2007, 18:14
Possibly contact the Caretaker at 501 shelter and ask if you could park in his yard. I know they have had issues with vandalism when vehicles were left at the roadside....

Even though the Rt. 501 parking lot is patrolled, neither the local nor State Police have the manpower to be able to safeguard the vehicles from vandalism 100% of the time. The parking lot is right along the highway - so it's easy in and easy out for the vandals.

The vandalism that we experience at parking lots in this part of the state is not normally a very high percentage (not a comforting fact if YOUR car gets hit), but Rt. 501 seems to be the current target. However, if the local LEOs succeed in stopping it there, it is likely that the culprits will simply move on to another parking lot! (A couple of years ago, it was the Shartlesville Game Lands parking lot below the Eagle's Nest shelter!)

Some days ya just can't win!:(

Panzer1
10-30-2007, 21:06
Back in 2001 I was doing a section hike thru that area. I stopped at the 501 shelter. I was told by the pizza delivery boy "Dusty" that delivers pizza to the shelter that he was making a delivery and in the time he parked his car at the 501 parking lot and walked to the shelter to deliver pizza and walk back to his car that someone had broke into his car and removed his radio.

Panzer

shelterbuilder
10-30-2007, 21:34
Back in 2001 I was doing a section hike thru that area. I stopped at the 501 shelter. I was told by the pizza delivery boy "Dusty" that delivers pizza to the shelter that he was making a delivery and in the time he parked his car at the 501 parking lot and walked to the shelter to deliver pizza and walk back to his car that someone had broke into his car and removed his radio.

Panzer

Like I said, some days ya just can't win.

emerald
10-30-2007, 22:08
I've never had my vehicle vandalized there, but then I'm careful about when I park there.

I find it odd people from distant locations seem to think they're in a position to advise people on this issue or that someone would base a decision about whether or not to park at the PA 501 trailhead upon one or more instances of vandalism years ago. I don't pay much attention to such information.

I'd be much more interested in what A.T. club members and recent hikers tell me. In this instance, I'd want to talk to BMECC's caretaker, Ron, and would base my decision primarily upon what he tells me. His phone number is in the current Companion. Sometimes it's best to pick up the phone and make a call.

There was additional information provided off-board to which no one but the recipient was privy I might add.

shelterbuilder
10-31-2007, 18:33
Okay, here's the scoop: since I had some signs to hang in that area, I visited Wm Penn shelter today. The spring IS running, but it will take you about 15 minutes to collect a gallon from the end of the pipe. There are two pools (one at either end of the pipe) so if you have a pump-filter, it may go faster - but be careful and don't get stung by the yellow jackets if you use the pool at the upper end. The run-off from this spring goes underground shortly after it emerges from the pipe, so don't bother trying to go downhill to look for bigger pools.

As noted elsewhere, 2 1/2 miles south of Wm Penn on the AT, there is a lookout on the south side of the ridge (older maps will list this as an abandoned power line, newer maps will list it as the second view north of the Swatara Gap area). If you drop down over the north side of the ridge, and follow the old logging road down STEEPLY for about 12-15 minutes, the road bears left to continue downhill, but straight ahead is a ravine where there is DEPENDABLE water. Please follow good safety practices and TREAT THIS WATER. It is my belief (check your maps, gentlemen) that this location is still on State Game Lands, and no one should question or challenge you if you decide to use this source. (There IS private land farther down!)

As for parking at Rt. 501 - call Ron and ask his opinion.

That's all, folks!