PDA

View Full Version : Resupply at NOC in December...

whitefoot_hp
10-29-2007, 12:29
I was wondering what food supplies are availabe at NOC in december, or anything near it in walking distance. doing a section through there this dec.

SweetAss03
10-29-2007, 12:48
Not sure what available in December at the NOC. There is a resturant there, and a small store but in December... Nothing is within walking distance besides the NOC its self. I caught a ride (I think I paid) into Bryson City where there is a store, lodging and resturants. Most people who are going to town go to Franklin, but I'm not sure what is there, I've heard that it a nice town.

MOWGLI
10-29-2007, 12:50
I was wondering what food supplies are availabe at NOC in december, or anything near it in walking distance. doing a section through there this dec.

Somewhat limited. You can buy some pre-packed hiker foods there. You can also walk east about 1 mile to a small convenience food market. Not a full resupply, but some items you won't find at NOC.

SweetAss03
10-29-2007, 13:05
If I remember right Just as you leave the trail to cross the road to the NOC there is a small information center building and it had a small list of shuttle options with phone numbers.

Jack Tarlin
10-29-2007, 16:27
I would call them to see what will be open and available when you arrive. Assuming someone is there year round, it might be posssible, and might make the most sense, to send yourself a food maildrop, provided you're positive you'll be able to pick it up upon arrival. The food selection for sale there is not great at any time of the year, so all the more reason to send yourself a small box of re-supplies.

Roots
10-30-2007, 08:30
Somewhat limited. You can buy some pre-packed hiker foods there. You can also walk east about 1 mile to a small convenience food market. Not a full resupply, but some items you won't find at NOC.

There is a market up 19/74( about a 1/4 mile) next to the gem mine that I was surprised to see had several options on food. I just saw them this past weekend. That seems to be a pretty good store to resupply so you won't have to go to Bryson City. You still might need Jeff and Nancy's (Hike Inn)assistance to get to a bigger grocery store. There are also people to help you at the Wesser general store at NOC. That's where the guest registration is located. Hope this helps!:)

Lone Wolf
10-30-2007, 08:32
the store is .8 from the NOC

SGT Rock
10-30-2007, 08:33
I've been there in December on a hike. Standard freeze dried meals, some candy bars and stuff. You can get a couple of days worth of food here, but nothing like a grocery store. The resturaunt was closed when I was there. I think it was because of the day of the week and not the season - but I could be wrong.

MOWGLI
10-30-2007, 08:34
the store is .8 from the NOC

It's a windy arse road with poor sight lines. Watch yourself when hoofing this road.

max patch
10-30-2007, 08:49
It's a windy arse road with poor sight lines. Watch yourself when hoofing this road.

Yeah. The year I thru'd a hiker was clippped by a truck while walking on the side of this road. Broke leg. Hike over.

whitefoot_hp
10-30-2007, 13:55
So are these markets or stores up the road as in 'up' the Nantahala river towards where the rafting starts or are they in the direction of 'downstream.'

I am also thinking about just dropping off some supplies on my way to fontana, but i am waiting for the NOC to answer my email.

Lone Wolf
10-30-2007, 13:57
downstream. eastward

Flush2wice
10-30-2007, 13:58
So are these markets or stores up the road as in 'up' the Nantahala river towards where the rafting starts or are they in the direction of 'downstream.'

I am also thinking about just dropping off some supplies on my way to fontana, but i am waiting for the NOC to answer my email.

Down stream.

Krewzer
10-30-2007, 17:56
Another option would be to wait until Stecoah gap and hook with Jeff and Nancy at the Hike Inn and go to Robbinsville. Or, just hitch straight into Robbinsville. There's a full service grocery just as you get to town.

Because the NOC is only day or day and a half from Stecoah Gap, Robbinsville gets overlooked as a stop. But it's a great little town to resupply, grab hot meal or even get a hotel room. Also, there's alot of hiker friendly rides passing through Stecoah Gap, even in December.

SGT Rock
10-30-2007, 18:02
Robbinsville is a nice place - but it is 7 miles from the trail to the part of town where you can get groceries and food.

Krewzer
10-30-2007, 18:13
Robbinsville is a nice place - but it is 7 miles from the trail to the part of town where you can get groceries and food.

Yea, but I think that's closer to the AT than Bryson City.

SGT Rock
10-30-2007, 19:05
About 13 miles to Bryson City from the NOC

Lone Wolf
10-30-2007, 21:04
NOC has no good resupply. hitch to Bryson City. bottom line

sloopjonboswell
10-31-2007, 20:51
NOC has opened a convenience store in the old motel, they even sell cold pbr. Talk to the outfitter about a ride into town. You could resupply without going into town if your not terribly picky.