PDA

View Full Version : Contact Lenses on the AT

-Ghost-
10-29-2007, 13:35
I was just curious if any of you guys have personally thru hiked with contacts or know of someone that did it. I plan on hiking it in 09 and the idea of THAT long of an amount of time in the woods with contacts really bothers me. It seems the potential for eye infection, etc is extremely high. I have been backpacking up to about 12 days with contacts and had no problems, but there is a big difference between a week and a half and 5 months.

Also, i hate glasses...the idea of glasses sliding down my nose every second due to sweat just pisses me off...:)

sonic
10-29-2007, 13:53
And that is why I had Lasik surgery!!!!!!

hopefulhiker
10-29-2007, 13:55
I used contacts and glasses but I ended up having to take a few days off the trail because of pink eye in Damascus... I would take contacts, they are good in the rain but I would also take glasses..

Johnny Thunder
10-29-2007, 13:59

Do you think anyone ever went in for Lazer Eye surgery and came out with Lazer Eyes?

If so, could these combat the dreaded "Lazer, Rocket Arm" I've heard so much about?

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2007, 14:00
You can put a inch or inch and a half of lawnmower gas line (plastic tubing) over the ends of your earpieces and it will keep them from slipping. Look at the holders that are basically a string with two little tubes to hold them on at a sports shop or outfitters or drugstore. Basically it's that without the string.

You can also get Cat Crap and other proprietary brands of stuff that will keep glasses from fogging and repel rain.

I knew somebody who used contacts to avoid glare on their lenses while taking photographs. It looked like a lot of trouble but it was worth it to him. The whole sanitary factor was a problem.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-29-2007, 14:16
I've done a lot of hiking in contacts - just not on the AT. As long as you clean your hands before handling them (actually before handling the lens, slolution bottle or the case) and haul along a small bottle of the all-in-one cleaning / disinfecting / wetting solutions, you should be fine. This was a real PITA back when soap & purified water were necessary. Seems it would be a piece of cake with alcohol gel readily available.

Just a Hiker
10-29-2007, 14:27
Hey there, I know for me, contacts wouldn't work on the trail. Knowing my luck I would catch some Far-Eastern Eye Fungus, and then you guys would be giving me a new trail name. But seriously, I only wear my glasses at night wherever I am camped; however, I see people every year on the trail who do quite well with contacts.

Just Jim

Jimmers
10-29-2007, 14:42
I've been hiking with contact lenses for years and never had any problems
with them as far as infections. (yet). Swimming pools and oceans give me
more problems with that. Like Dino said, as long as you're careful to keep
your hands clean you shouldn't have any problems. Just remember to
keep the lenses inside your sleeping bag at night if it's going to go below
freezing. While I've never had a pair freeze, there's always a first time for
everything. And there's nothing worse than putting ice cold contacts
into your eyes 1st thing in the morning. Not fun.

twosticks
10-29-2007, 14:52
I was on a 10 day hike with mine in skeeter country and naturally some of the Deet got into my eyes and I came down with pink eye. It's happened twice. It could be that I'm a dirtbag or that I'm not very careful. I still use them, just have to make sure to keep my hands clean.

ChinMusic
10-29-2007, 15:15
Ditto, had the surg in 2005. Excellent results.

Now, due to my age, I just have to bring reading glasses. I choose to bring 3.0 or 3.5X with me. These are not good for long periods of reading but double for getting out splinters.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-29-2007, 15:20
A note for the older hikers - Lasik surgery is not possible after a certain time in life. You have to get the cornea replaced with a clear, solid lens - costs about $4,500 to $5,000 per eye. I'd rather buy gear with my $$'s

Just a Hiker
10-29-2007, 15:21
Ditto, had the surg in 2005. Excellent results.

Now, due to my age, I just have to bring reading glasses. I choose to bring 3.0 or 3.5X with me. These are not good for long periods of reading but double for getting out splinters.

Can a person get that surgery if their main issue is Astigmatism?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-29-2007, 15:24
Can a person get that surgery if their main issue is Astigmatism?One of my grandkids did, but she is about 20 yo.

Blissful
10-29-2007, 15:35
You can also get Cat Crap and other proprietary brands of stuff that will keep glasses from fogging and repel rain.

Man, that is the one thing I wished I'd had on the trail. Foggy glasses were a royal pain!!

Blissful
10-29-2007, 15:38
A note for the older hikers - Lasik surgery is not possible after a certain time in life. You have to get the cornea replaced with a clear, solid lens - costs about $4,500 to $5,000 per eye. I'd rather buy gear with my $$'s

My mil (who is 70) just had cataract surgery both eyes and now they say she doesn't need glasses except for reading. I know I have cataracts in both eyes.

Just a Hiker
10-29-2007, 15:42
My mil (who is 70) just had cataract surgery both eyes and now they say she doesn't need glasses except for reading. I know I have cataracts in both eyes.

I have a family history of cataracts, so this concerns me as well.

ChinMusic
10-29-2007, 16:02
I cannot answer that question with any certainty.

I had an astig in my left eye to a fairly large degree and it is gone. My wife's eyes were NOT candidates for Lasik due to the lack of thickness in her cornea.

Bottom line: It takes a professional exam to know if you are a candidate.

On a side note: I was somewhat afraid of Lasik since I am a dentist that works under fairly high magnification. I was afraid of a loss of visual acuity that the general public would not notice in themselves. I put off Lasik until there were a significant number of surgeons that had gone thru the procedure before me (call me chicken).

For a few weeks after the surg my visual acuity varied from day to day. I was kinda scared. After about 3 weeks (maybe 2) my close vision (with the aid of magnification as I had before) was as good or better than it was before.

Deadeye
10-29-2007, 16:07
I had cataract surgery 3 years ago (from an old injury), that's how I got my name. Spent the summer before surgery hiking with only one eye - had some depth perception issues that were pretty funny sometimes.

Anyhow, cataract surgery, while it may improve your uncorrected vision, ain't the same as Lasik, which actually corrects your vision. Personally, I've had my eye poked out with a stick once, and that was enough. I like having glasses on my face. Can't count how many times a low branch has whipped me smack on the lenses.

sonic
10-29-2007, 16:08
Sure can. I had Astigmatism and the surgery was very successful. 20/20. I still need reading glasses for really close work, but no more glasses or contacts!!:banana

ChinMusic
10-29-2007, 16:10
Personally, I've had my eye poked out with a stick once, and that was enough. I like having glasses on my face. Can't count how many times a low branch has whipped me smack on the lenses.
This is a good point. Sorta like wearing safety glasses.

I tend to wear sunglasses a lot but would not wear "blank" lenses just for protection.

Just a Hiker
10-29-2007, 16:13
Thanks for the great info everyone!! Maybe I'll do it some day, because it's gotten to the point where I can't drive at night. Thanks!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-29-2007, 16:16
Before she frolicked off to the golden trails, my mother also had new lens put in both eyes due to cataracts and was able to see without her glasses. Both He-Dino and I have been told we would have to have lens replacement rather than Lasik because of age-related thinning. While insurance pays for the surgery if you have cataracts, it does not if you want it simply to improve your vision.

ChinMusic
10-29-2007, 16:17
Thanks for the great info everyone!! Maybe I'll do it some day, because it's gotten to the point where I can't drive at night. Thanks!
At least in the beginning, my night driving was NEGATIVELY affected by Lasik. Depending on how wide your eye opens up in the dark makes a great difference in you night vision after Lasik. At first I had my wife drive at night. There was that much "goofiness", for lack of a better description. That too went away. I think my night vision is as good or better now than my corrected night vision before surg. That said, night vision is a "wild card" in my opinion.

Skyline
10-29-2007, 16:21
Get the disposable, extended wear contact lenses if you can.

Mine can be worn up to 30 days without taking them out. No fuss, no solutions to carry other than a 0.5-oz. bottle of rewetting eye drops. When appropriate, take them out, discard, and wear glasses during a zero day in town. Before hitting the trail again, replace with a new pair of disposables in the comfort and relatively clean conditions of a motel or hostel bathroom sink. (No snide remarks about certain places now...)

You should let your eyes breathe for a day or so, at least overnight, during this transition.

I always carry several spares of disposables (marked L and R) plus a pair of glasses just in case there is a problem (my glasses for the backcountry are not my most recent pair--but are one prescription "old"; no big deal if they get damaged).

Extended Wear Disposables are the way to go in the woods IMHO. Unfortunately, not every eyesight problem is compatible but most are. I've considered Lasik surgery as I'm damn near blind without lenses but the cost and a level of fear has so far kept me from doing it.

Speer Carrier
10-29-2007, 16:21

I agree. I've hiked with both contacts and glasses, and each presented some problems for me. I've lost 3 lenses while hiking. Lasik sugery while cerainly expenses gave me back 20-20 vision with out anything in my eyes or on my eyes.

Fahrenheit
10-29-2007, 17:21
Get the disposable, extended wear contact lenses if you can.

Mine can be worn up to 30 days without taking them out. No fuss, no solutions to carry other than a 0.5-oz. bottle of rewetting eye drops. When appropriate, take them out, discard, and wear glasses during a zero day in town. Before hitting the trail again, replace with a new pair of disposables in the comfort and relatively clean conditions of a motel or hostel bathroom sink. (No snide remarks about certain places now...)

You should let your eyes breathe for a day or so, at least overnight, during this transition.

I always carry several spares of disposables (marked L and R) plus a pair of glasses just in case there is a problem (my glasses for the backcountry are not my most recent pair--but are one prescription "old"; no big deal if they get damaged).

Extended Wear Disposables are the way to go in the woods IMHO. Unfortunately, not every eyesight problem is compatible but most are. I've considered Lasik surgery as I'm damn near blind without lenses but the cost and a level of fear has so far kept me from doing it.

This is what I was going to sugest. I used to hike in my regular disposables but I switched to these about a year and half ago and I will never go back. They are more comfortable than any other contacts I have worn and I can see in the middle of the night and morning without having to fumble for glasses. For the obvious reasons they are also great for hiking as you aren't sticking dirty fingers into your eyes. They also have a newer type that work for astigmatism, which is what I use.

liminalgrey
10-30-2007, 15:04
They also have a newer type that work for astigmatism, which is what I use.

Fahrenheit, thanks for that info! A little googling revealed that Bausch & Lomb has extended wear contacts for astigmatism now - is that the brand you use?

I also have astigmatism, and tried soft lenses before, but have stuck with glasses because the clarity is better (I have been told hard contacts might resolve that, but I don't want to spend $200 on something I might not like). Anyway, I would gladly sacrifice a little clarity for extended wear contacts, especially when hiking!

Appalachian Tater
10-30-2007, 15:32
Fahrenheit, thanks for that info! A little googling revealed that Bausch & Lomb has extended wear contacts for astigmatism now - is that the brand you use?

I also have astigmatism, and tried soft lenses before, but have stuck with glasses because the clarity is better (I have been told hard contacts might resolve that, but I don't want to spend $200 on something I might not like). Anyway, I would gladly sacrifice a little clarity for extended wear contacts, especially when hiking!

You should be able to return the contacts if you don't like them. The optician or opthamologist just returns them to the manufacturer for credit. I've even had an opthamologist give me contacts I didn't want to try to get me to try them, presumably samples or some kind of deal with the manufacturer.

-Ghost-
11-01-2007, 12:55
Thanks for all the responses guys! I suppose ill just have to be super clean as many of you said.

And also i am seriously seriously considering Lasik.

Any info on Lasik from you guys who had it? Painful, uncomfortable, etc?

Thanks again!

ChinMusic
11-01-2007, 13:53

Painful: not in the least.

Uncomfortable: Emotionally, yes (at least for me). I could never even wear contacts due to eye sensitivity. So knowing what was happening to my eye at the moment of truth was scary for me.

Mentally: I was not prepared for my vision to vary from day to day after the surg. This is normal, but it was unnerving to me.

Afterwards: Gotta use your eye drops religiously and DO NOT RUB YOUR EYES.

ChinMusic
11-01-2007, 13:55
I just saw your age. My daughter had it at age 21 (birthday present from dad) and has had no issues. She handled it better than me.

Speer Carrier
11-01-2007, 15:07
Thanks for all the responses guys! I suppose ill just have to be super clean as many of you said.

Thanks again!

Only pain is in the wallet. I had only one eye done. The other eye was left alone, and now I can see both at a distance. (20-20) and I can read with out glasses. My brain uses my right eye for distance, and my left for reading. I had the surgury when I was 62 years old, so you'll have no problem. There is no pain, and while some experience some dry eye for a while, I did not. The procedure only takes about 10-15 minutes as I recall. I paid $2000 at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, but it can be done cheaper. But as Juan Valdez used to say, "You get what you pay for"

ChinMusic
11-01-2007, 15:22
Speer - You have what is called mono-vision. This is not an issue for Tea and is only an issue for those around 45 and older to try to avoid having to wear reading glasses. For "older" folks (me included) the best way to see if this will work for you (sorta a trial run) is to wear one contact for distance and another contact for reading. This way you can see if you like having one eye for distance and the other eye for close up.

I chose not to go this route and have to carry reading glasses with me. I prefer 1.5x for reading but take 3.0 or 3.5x with me while backpacking. The extra magnification comes in handy for splinters and such. If I ever choose to being a book with me I'd have to go with a lower power mag.

JAK
11-01-2007, 16:11
I've never hiked with contacts, but they are great for sailing and kayaking. I might take them for hiking in the rain. I would use the wear once throw away type and only use them for rainy days where I still wanted to see stuff.

liminalgrey
11-01-2007, 17:57
You should be able to return the contacts if you don't like them. The optician or opthamologist just returns them to the manufacturer for credit. I've even had an opthamologist give me contacts I didn't want to try to get me to try them, presumably samples or some kind of deal with the manufacturer.

Thanks, Tater. I have an appointment next week to see if I can use the extended wear soft contacts.

The last time I asked about hard contacts, I was told I could not get a refund ($200!) if I did not like them since they are prescription. They do have a free sample pair of hard contacts I could try, but since they wouldn't have a prescription, that would only tell me if I like how they feel. Not to mention that losing a hard contact (especially on the AT!) would be a pain - its not like I would have a spare.

For soft contacts, they have always been generous with the freebies that are premade to match my prescription! :D

Speer Carrier
11-01-2007, 18:30
Speer - You have what is called mono-vision. This is not an issue for Tea and is only an issue for those around 45 and older to try to avoid having to wear reading glasses. For "older" folks (me included) the best way to see if this will work for you (sorta a trial run) is to wear one contact for distance and another contact for reading. This way you can see if you like having one eye for distance and the other eye for close up.

I chose not to go this route and have to carry reading glasses with me. I prefer 1.5x for reading but take 3.0 or 3.5x with me while backpacking. The extra magnification comes in handy for splinters and such. If I ever choose to being a book with me I'd have to go with a lower power mag.

You make a good point. For some folks, having different vision in each eye presents a problem. For me, my left eye is 20/200. And my right eye was only about 20/100, now corrected to, actually a little better than 20/20. I found that with my 20/200 vision left eye, I can read anything from about 6 inches to 2 feet with complete clarity. Although I expected some period of adjustment in getting use to 20/20 in one eye and 20/ 200 in the other, everything work out fine right from the start. I do not need reading glasses as a result. And, I don't experience any kind of weird vision that one might expect. The brain is a wonderful thing in automatically using the appropriate eye for the situation.

ChinMusic
11-01-2007, 18:42
The brain is a wonderful thing in automatically using the appropriate eye for the situation.
It is an amazing adaptation the brain does. My left eye is not quite 20/20 (maybe 20/30), with my right eye near 20/15, so I have a VERY slight mono-vision myself.

I decided NOT to have the left eye re-zapped as it would require me to have reading glasses in even more settings. At age 49 computer work is easy without readers. I am sure it is the left eye that allows this. I am also sure that will change over the next decade.....:cool:

EWS
11-02-2007, 01:25
Having LASIK done was one of the best decision I've made.

Blue '07
11-17-2007, 02:37
I thru-hiked the AT this year with contacts and had no troubles. If my hands were too dirty to handle the lenses, I wore my glasses until I reached a stream to wash off any dirt.

berninbush
11-17-2007, 04:12
I had Lasik/PRK surgery six months ago and love it.

PRK is an older procedure, invented before Lasik. The disadvantage is that it takes the eye longer to heal. The advantage is that it can be done on a thinner cornea... one that is not within the safety margin for Lasik. So I had Lasik on my left eye, and PRK on my right eye because that cornea was too thin.

In the Lasik eye, I had 20/20 vision within 24 hours and no complications. I would say the procedure was slightly "uncomfortable" but not really "painful" and it was very short. The PRK procedure itself was actually less uncomfortable than the Lasik procedure, but I had some stinging several days afterwards when my eye got too dry and the surgical site re-opened... my optometrist (who did my follow-up) had to put the soft "bandage" contact back in until it re-healed. (The stinging was akin to having a bit of grit in a contact lens.) After that, I have had no problems and I don't even usually notice my eyes feeling dry... I still use the drops every once in a while but that's about it.

I had pretty major astigmatism as well as nearsightedness before the surgery, and my right eye was worse than my left. I still think my right eye is *slightly* less sharp than the left, but three months ago it tested at 20/25 and I think it might be 20/20 now. (I have my six month checkup tomorrow, so we'll see!). At any rate, I'm very glad I did it! After a lifetime of glasses and contacts, it's so incredibly liberating to just wake up in the morning and be able to see.

Landshark
11-17-2007, 13:26
I have worn contacts backpacking and car camping with no problems. The only issue is that hand sanitizer stings your eyes, so rinse with clear water between sanitizing hands and handling contacts, whether putting in or taking out. When sleeping I put my glasses with my headlamp.