PDA

View Full Version : Camp David

earlyriser26
10-29-2007, 14:34
I know the AT runs near Camp david in MD, but where is it exactly?

Just a Hiker
10-29-2007, 14:41
Camp David is set in a very secure area in the Cotoctin Mountain Range in Maryland. The closest town is Thurmont, Maryland, and the road up to the Presidential Retreat is outside of town. Please do not drive up that road....you will be arrested and detained. :)

Just Jim

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-29-2007, 14:44
http://www.roadtripusa.com/maps/appalachian/072_Maryland.gifhttp://www.roadtripusa.com/routes/appalachiantrail/maryland/app_catoctin.html#Anchor_49575

earlyriser26
10-29-2007, 14:50
Camp David is set in a very secure area in the Cotoctin Mountain Range in Maryland. The closest town is Thurmont, Maryland, and the road up to the Presidential Retreat is outside of town. Please do not drive up that road....you will be arrested and detained. :)

Just Jim
Hey, I'm one of the few supporters Bush has left. I am planning on taking a group of boy scouts on their first hike on the trail and thought MD would be about as easy as it gets. Just looking for interesting things to point out along the way. thanks.

Sly
10-29-2007, 14:53
LOL... I was driving on the road that runs through the park when I pulled into a side road to read the warning "do not enter" sign assuming it led to Camp David. Never crossing the *line* and still reading, I put it in reverse to a honk, honk, honk! Some ranger dude was right behind me in a matter of seconds. He ran my plates, license and gave me the third degree. I'm sure I'm on some list someplace!

Just a Hiker
10-29-2007, 14:55
Hey, I'm one of the few supporters Bush has left. I am planning on taking a group of boy scouts on their first hike on the trail and thought MD would be about as easy as it gets. Just looking for interesting things to point out along the way. thanks.

That will be a great section for a scouting hike for sure, and I wasn't slamming President Bush. I was just warning people about the access road. The Marines there take guarding Camp David very seriously, and anyone without clearance to be on that road will be detained. There are warning signs, but people ignore them and get themsevles in more trouble than they can handle. :D

Just Jim

Sly
10-29-2007, 14:56
Hey, I'm one of the few supporters Bush has left.

That doesn't mean anything. It''s best to stay well clear.

earlyriser26
10-29-2007, 15:00
That will be a great section for a scouting hike for sure, and I wasn't slamming President Bush. I was just warning people about the access road. The Marines there take guarding Camp David very seriously, and anyone without clearance to be on that road will be detained. There are warning signs, but people ignore them and get themsevles in more trouble than they can handle. :D

Just Jim
I've hiked the MD section of the trail and not only is it easy, but full of history. I have no intention of getting any closer to camp david than the trail. Just looking for interesting history.

Just a Hiker
10-29-2007, 15:11
I've hiked the MD section of the trail and not only is it easy, but full of history. I have no intention of getting any closer to camp david than the trail. Just looking for interesting history.

Sounds like you guys will have fun!!:)

Brushy Sage
10-29-2007, 19:36

Not a problem. The AT doesn't come very close to the camp, which is in another part of the mountains.

LIhikers
10-29-2007, 20:33

Don't forget area R near Waynesboro, PA just across the state line. Actually I think the restricted area is actually in MD.

Pirate
10-30-2007, 13:56
Watch out for the Blair Witch. Parts of that movie was filmed in the area.

Mr. Clean
11-02-2007, 04:57
Times sure have changed. Back in 1979, a buddy of mine and I were trout fishing some of the brooks around that area, and while driving to find another spot, we came right up to the gate. It was kinda spooky knowing that we were right there at Camp David and probably being watched very closely. We went back the way we came and never saw a soul.

StarLyte
11-02-2007, 07:12
Camp David is at the base of the mountain where Bears Den is.

Make a right out of Bears Den driveway, driving towards U.S. Route 50 and Ashby Gap, can't miss the U.S. Government signs and fencing. More than likely there will be a guard at the bottom of the mountain.

You drive through the government property to get to Ashby Gap.

I learned this from slacking hikers :D

Leadfoot
11-02-2007, 07:53
No, you've confused the "Mt. Weather" installation with Camp David. Camp David is in Maryland as stated above. Mt. Weather is on the top of the Blue Ridge south of Bears Den/Snickers Gap in Va. Rt. 601, Blue Ridge Mountain Road goes through the installation. It was originally the place where Congress would go in case of a nuke attack.

There's a ton of Civil War history along the AT in Maryland, check out Gapland State Park, there's a cool brick and stone arch that the trail passes by. Don't forget Harper's Ferry WVa, it is worth a side trip with the scouts.

StarLyte
11-02-2007, 07:58
No, you've confused the "Mt. Weather" installation with Camp David. Camp David is in Maryland as stated above. Mt. Weather is on the top of the Blue Ridge south of Bears Den/Snickers Gap in Va. Rt. 601, Blue Ridge Mountain Road goes through the installation. It was originally the place where Congress would go in case of a nuke attack.

There's a ton of Civil War history along the AT in Maryland, check out Gapland State Park, there's a cool brick and stone arch that the trail passes by. Don't forget Harper's Ferry WVa, it is worth a side trip with the scouts.

Oh my gosh - you're right.

Thanks for the correction - so sorry !

TMC (too much coffee) :D

ChimneySpring
11-02-2007, 09:32
It was originally the place where Congress would go in case of a nuke attack.

And prior to that, an installation for launching weather balloons and studying the climate. Hence the name.

veteran
11-02-2007, 12:35
Camp David

http://www.topozone.com/print.asp?lat=39.64727&lon=-77.46439&s=25&size=l&u=5&layer=DRG&datum=nad27

sherrill
11-02-2007, 13:20
Here's an image of the AT in relation to Camp David for those interested. Camp David is the compound circle on the right, the AT is to the left.