PDA

View Full Version : Get a FREE Gear Scale!

Sly
10-29-2007, 16:12
I signed up to free trial period to Stamps.com a couple weeks ago and got a free 5lb digital scale. It works great for weighing all types of gear, just not loaded packs. :D

You'll also receive in $5 in postage you can use right away. If you continue your membership for a month, you'll receive $10 in free postage. Another month, another free $10 in postage. After the 4 week trial period it's $15, but with the free postage, it's only $5 per month adjusted. It's a good time of year with the holidays coming and you can schedule free pick-ups, no waiting in line. :)

Anyway, if you use this link http://www.stamps.com/freepostage/ and use the promo code: C-7CK3-Z65 I'll be eligible for free postage! ;)

One hand washes another, be good hikers and use the promo code! :eek:

The Weasel
10-29-2007, 16:15
Second the motion, wish I'd thought of it first (you get the credit, Sly). Stamps.com is VERY easy to use, worth the payment (modest) for the service. Advantage: You can print stamps on any computer, program downloads easy. You DO have to get the stamp labels from them, not expensive, definitely worth it. Scale is VERY good.

TW

Sly
10-29-2007, 16:20
Second the motion, wish I'd thought of it first (you get the credit, Sly). Stamps.com is VERY easy to use, worth the payment (modest) for the service. Advantage: You can print stamps on any computer, program downloads easy. You DO have to get the stamp labels from them, not expensive, definitely worth it. Scale is VERY good.

Yeah, and you can use the program as a stand alone app and/or integrate it into MS Word, Office etc! :)

Come on you weight weenies, sign up and get your free scale now! ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-29-2007, 18:19
Dinos signed up - so many grandkids, so little time :D

rafe
10-29-2007, 19:48
No free lunch, Sly. The service costs $16 per month. The scale you're talking about can be gotten from Costco for $20.

Sly
10-29-2007, 20:06
No free lunch, Sly. The service costs $16 per month. The scale you're talking about can be gotten from Costco for $20.

I spelled it out in the 1st post. Free scale with $5 postage for signing up. That's a free lunch. You can quit anytime before the monthly fee kicks in. If you choose to keep the service, it's yes $16, my mistake I thought it was $15 but you get $10 in postage for that month and the month after.

So, let's see, it'll cost you $6 net to print your postage from home, no waiting in lines, no running to the PO for postage, for 1 or two months after the 1st month.

Any other questions? Oh never mind, go to Costco and buy your own scale. :mad:

Sly
10-29-2007, 20:10
Dinos signed up - so many grandkids, so little time :D

Smart woman! ;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-29-2007, 20:20
Seriously, Terrapin - my gross gain on this is:
$20 scale
$15 free postage ($5 first 4 wks, $10 second 4 wks)
$35

My outlay for this: $15.99 for the second four weeks. I will cancel after Christmas mailing is done. I guarantee I will spend way more than $15 for Christmas mailing to the grand and great-grandkids that are too far away to come home for Christmas and bing able to print the postage at home and arrange pick-up will be great.

Summit
10-29-2007, 20:24
I use snail mail so seldom that I still have some 37 cent stamps, as well as 39 cent ones. I bought enough 2 cent ones to bring them all up to 41 cents . . . now if I only had something to mail. :rolleyes: :)

Sly
10-29-2007, 20:39
I use snail mail so seldom that I still have some 37 cent stamps, as well as 39 cent ones. I bought enough 2 cent ones to bring them all up to 41 cents . . . now if I only had something to mail. :rolleyes: :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I do most everything electronically now, banking, paying bills etc. Anyway, as long as you cancel (electronically) before 4 weeks there's no obligation.

If the truth be known I'm a sucker for free and cheap deals. Last week I needed ink for my printer and they offered an additional $10 off if you got Video Professor. I took the deal, watched the CD's and sent 1 of the three back before they nailed me $90 for the course. When I called to get the RMA they tried to sell me two, then 3 other courses (Word, Office, Frontpage etc) for the same $90. I told them thanks, but no thanks!

The two CD's I kept, have some things in them about Windows XP I never knew before and I've been using it for a couple years now. Cost me nothing in postage to return them with my free postage from Stamps. ;)

Skidsteer
10-29-2007, 21:03
Yeah, I know what you mean. I do most everything electronically now, banking, paying bills etc. Anyway, as long as you cancel (electronically) before 4 weeks there's no obligation.

If the truth be known I'm a sucker for free and cheap deals. Last week I needed ink for my printer and they offered an additional $10 off if you got Video Professor. I took the deal, watched the CD's and sent 1 of the three back before they nailed me $90 for the course. When I called to get the RMA they tried to sell me two, then 3 other courses (Word, Office, Frontpage etc) for the same $90. I told them thanks, but no thanks!

The two CD's I kept, have some things in them about Windows XP I never knew before and I've been using it for a couple years now. Cost me nothing in postage to return them with my free postage from Stamps. ;)

Dirtbagger.

I mean that in the best possible way. :p

Sly
10-29-2007, 21:08
Dirtbagger.

I mean that in the best possible way. :p

It's not easy being me! ;)

Summit
10-29-2007, 21:12
It's not easy being me! ;)I think Kermit said "It's not easy being green." :D :p

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2007, 22:42
I hope you guys don't have trouble cancelling your stamps.com service. Apparently many people do. It may be a good idea if you have a need for it on an ongoing basis but it may not be such a good idea if you intend to cancel shortly after signing up.

When Pitney Bowes started a similar service during the dot.com boom, they gave you $25 in postage and if you complained about a misprint or any other problem that cost you some of your balance, they would give you another $25 in postage. It took me years to use what ended up being something well north of $100 in free postage.

Sly
10-29-2007, 22:49
I hope you guys don't have trouble cancelling your stamps.com service. Apparently many people do.

Now where'd you here that? Click on a link or give them a call. They can't force you to keep it.

When Pitney Bowes ......

This isn't Pitney Bowes, it's their competitor.

Sly
10-29-2007, 22:53
Now where'd you here that? Click on a link or give them a call. They can't force you to keep it.

Here's some complaints..

http://www.google.com/search?q=stamps.com+complaints&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B2GGGL_enUS175US176

Anyway, I'll guarantee I get off when requested.

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2007, 22:55
This isn't Pitney Bowes, it's their competitor.

That's why I said "when P.B. started a similar service"!

Google "stamps.com" with words like "problem" or "trouble" or the ever-useful "sucks". Any business has some unhappy customers and they are more vocal than those who are satisfied, but it will give you a clue as to where you might encounter problems.

rafe
10-29-2007, 22:56

No, friends, this one won't take over the house like the Austrian vibrating clocks!

[Another Firesign Theater nugget...]

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2007, 22:57
Here's some complaints..

http://www.google.com/search?q=stamps.com+complaints&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B2GGGL_enUS175US176

Anyway, I'll guarantee I get off when requested.

If you're going to answer your own posts, please let me know ahead of time, I am a very busy person. :)

Sly
10-29-2007, 22:58
That's why I said "when P.B. started a similar service"!

Google "stamps.com" with words like "problem" or "trouble" or the ever-useful "sucks". Any business has some unhappy customers and they are more vocal than those who are satisfied, but it will give you a clue as to where you might encounter problems.

Yeah, I just read some. A bunch of maroons that couldn't read. We don't have anyone around here like that.

What you see is what you get. I have the free scale, I have the free postage, I've already used the service and when I quit, it'll be over. It's not rocket science.

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2007, 23:02
A bunch of maroons that couldn't read. We don't have anyone around here like that.

Yeah, those ******** maroons.

What you see is what you get. I have the free scale, I have the free postage, I've already used the service and when I quit, it'll be over. It's not rocket science.Tell that to all those AOL people who tried to end their service. They could use your help.

I had some company keep charging an annual fee on a cancelled credit card for three years after the credit card account was closed. Those dumb*** AT&T Visa people would accept the charge and then try to bill me.

Sly
10-29-2007, 23:03
Oh did I mention you get FREE Delivery Confirmation with Express or Priority Mail and on $.18 cents for other classes when you print out a packing slip? ;)

Anyway, I find it useful since I sell on Ebay from time to time and when you take Paypal it's best to have DC.

Sly
10-29-2007, 23:06
Yeah, those ******** maroons.

Tell that to all those AOL people who tried to end their service. They could use your help.

I had some company keep charging an annual fee on a cancelled credit card for three years after the credit card account was closed. Those dumb*** AT&T Visa people would accept the charge and then try to bill me.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I was on AOL for 10 years paying them $25 for dial-up and went FREE AOL last year without a hitch. I still use their software when I'm not using Firefox. Try it, you'll like it.

http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp?

You'll need your own ISP.

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2007, 23:06
when you take Paypal it's best to have DC.

Now that's an interesting company to Google and read about all the complaints over the years. I avoid them like the plague. I will occasionally use them to send money but NOT from a bank account because they have cleaned out peoples' accounts. My PayPal aversion was one reason it took me so long to donate here. The whole eBay thing is retarded. I cannot imagine any way to make buying or selling something on the internet more difficult than eBay has managed to do.

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2007, 23:10
Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I was on AOL for 10 years paying them $25 for dial-up and went FREE AOL last year without a hitch. I still use their software when I'm not using Firefox. Try it, you'll like it.

http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp?

Oh, I had CompuServe for years until AOL ruined it. And I have dealt with enough people's computers who had the AOL software on it to not want it anywhere near me. They sent me discs every couple of months for years. Those things are made of polycarbonates and they were wrapped in dead processed trees.

Sly
10-29-2007, 23:23
Oh, I had CompuServe for years until AOL ruined it. And I have dealt with enough people's computers who had the AOL software on it to not want it anywhere near me. They sent me discs every couple of months for years. Those things are made of polycarbonates and they were wrapped in dead processed trees.

You liked CompuServe, which version -1.0? I've never had a problem with AOL either. You must leave in an alternate universe. Always complaining. :rolleyes:

rafe
10-29-2007, 23:25
AOL sux. They're evil. They've turned millions of gomers into their drooling, hapless subjects by hiding a free and open system (TCP/IP and the Internet) behind mountains of invasive, proprietary bloatware. Evil, I tell you. I wonder how many millions of cubic yards of AOL CDs are buried in the earth's crust.

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2007, 23:29
You liked CompuServe, which version -1.0? I've never had a problem with AOL either. You must leave in an alternate universe. Always complaining. :rolleyes:

If you like AOL software, we do live in different universes! Honestly, it has been so long since I had CompuServe, I can't remember anything about it except that once AOL got it, everything starting going downhill. I probably don't even have any tax records or anything that even mentions it by name.

I don't complain about everything: I love Amazon.com and online postage services are great if you use a lot of postage. eBay and PayPal are problemmatic. How eBay has managed to evade legal responsibility for running the largest fencing operation in the history of mankind I do not understand.

rafe
10-29-2007, 23:30
You'll need your own ISP.

Why would I need AOL if I've already got an ISP? :-?

Sly
10-29-2007, 23:41
AOL sux. They're evil. They've turned millions of gomers into their drooling, hapless subjects by hiding a free and open system (TCP/IP and the Internet) behind mountains of invasive, proprietary bloatware. Evil, I tell you. I wonder how many millions of cubic yards of AOL CDs are buried in the earth's crust.

LOL... Yeah, I hear it from all the "tekkies" Whatever, it works for me. Lots of nice links on the home page.

Sly
10-29-2007, 23:48
Why would I need AOL if I've already got an ISP? :-?

You'll have to determine that yourself. I switched to FREE when thy offered it and was able to keep the same addy I've been using for 8 years. I like their news, weather, sports pages, but you can view for FREE them online too. You also get XM and internet radio, video etc.

www.aol.com (http://www.aol.com)

Lone Wolf
10-30-2007, 08:23
GEAR scale? more like a DOPE scale. who weighs hiking gear? weenies

CoyoteWhips
10-30-2007, 08:59
At least its a digital scale. USPS.com promised me a scale for filling out a survey. When it arrived it was an odd set of nesting spring stands. If my package pushes the stand to the table, it weighs more than the rating on for that spring. You can combine them for various weight.

Clever, but not as useful as my digital scale.

Still, I like USPS.com for my postage needs. There's no subscription and they're convenient.

Uncle Silly
10-30-2007, 17:41
LOL... Yeah, I hear it from all the "tekkies" Whatever, it works for me. Lots of nice links on the home page.

Back in when modems were standard, in the Win98/ME days, installing AOL software would completely hose your modem drivers and such. They liked to install their own drivers. Worked OK, sometimes, as long as you used AOL, but you couldn't uninstall the software. To fix it you'd have to reinstall Windoze. Not exactly the techie's best friend.