PDA

View Full Version : Golite Quest

tiger bomb
10-29-2007, 18:22
Has anyone used a Golite Quest and how did you like it? I am planning a thru and looking for a light weight pack about 4000 cu in.

EMAN
10-30-2007, 11:03
Not sure if this is the same thread I posted to a couple of days ago or not. If so, I repeat myself...myself....HA!
Anyway, I just did 63 miles on the BMT through the Smokies where I got a good opportunity to beat the crap out of my new Quest.
I had carried the 2 lb. Trek (and still have it) for a good while but felt like it was overloaded on a trip to Glacier at maybe 40 lbs. It was like carrying a sack with straps. I found I was willing to carry a slightly heavier pack if it was also a bit more comfortable.
I tried a REI UL60 and a Deuter something or other and while both had advantages and good things, this Quest carried great. It rested against my back well. Has some kind of stiffer pad and stays that kept it comfortable.
Plenty of space, didn't have to keep shifting it back and forth, has a darned large pocket on the outside, smaller stretch popckets on either side, and it has these cutsie froo froo pockets on the waist belt. I put my ID and multitool in one side and a map and snacks in the other. Actully pretty cool.
It also has some clips that you can shrink the size of the pack but I didn't use those obviously.
This weighed about 38 lbs. with everything loaded including water.
I did notice a very small bit of water in the bottom as it started raining the day before I got off the trail. I wasn't using a pack cover but I never have. I use a heavy duty plastic bag as a liner. I'm not sure whether the rain was getting through the pack somehow but it didn't bother me. My stuff was all dry.
I'm sure there are lighter packs perhaps just as comfortable, but this one is a keeper for me.

DesertMTB
10-30-2007, 15:44
Has anyone used a Golite Quest and how did you like it? I am planning a thru and looking for a light weight pack about 4000 cu in.

I have never thru hiked the AT, but have done long weeklong hikes and I love my quest. It has stood up to a lot of abuse. The only disadvantage I see is the lack of extra pockets. You should be fine if you put everything in stuff sacks. I think it is a great pack.

tiger bomb
10-30-2007, 18:16
thanks for the answers, I went ahead today and bought the Osprey Aura 65. I liked the fact that the Quest was 10 oz lighter but there was something about the fit of the Osprey that felt real good. Hope I wont be sorry.

Auntie Mame
10-30-2007, 22:02
That is an intriguing pack, as is the Quest, and I hope you can share what you like about it: how it loads up for you, and rides. I remember trying on an Atmos 50 when they first came out, and it was impressive. I heard later that its shape kept it from carrying as much as some people would like. Keep us posted. Thanks, Mame

tiger bomb
11-27-2007, 07:17
Well, I could not stand the Osprey! After one wknd of use I changed it for the Quest. First of all the Osprey hurt my shoulders and second of all it was a real pain to pack. I was in love with the sleeping bag compartment but then there was no room for anything else due to the concave back. I hope to have better luck with the Quest and at least I am saving 10 OZ.

gold bond
11-27-2007, 10:24
I will admit that the Osprey is at times a "challenge" to pack due to the "curvature"f the pack itself. I have quit using the hydration sleeve and use outer bottles now and as well have learned to use stuff sacks a little more effectivly.
I used my Osprey this summer at Philmont and carried a fifty pound load. It did great!

EMAN
11-27-2007, 13:52
I tried a Osprey and right off the bat it would not fit me. Belt was way too tight....hahahaha. That may have changed now.
A friend bought one and his first complaint was the concave back made it hard to pack.
I use the internal hydration sleeves on any pack I have for something other than hydration. Too much hassle getting a bladder in and out. I actually keep a inflatable pillow and a lightweight silnylon "tarp" in there. Makes for a wee bit more padding on the back (which I really don't need on the Quest) and when I used the Trek it was like a layer of insulation against the sweaty back.
I hope/think you'll like this one.

River Runner
11-29-2007, 22:52
I've used a Quest for a couple of section hikes, and really like it. One nice thing is if you want to slackpack some, the compression system makes it easy to use for a smaller load.

I actually like not having a lot of pockets. I think the Quest has pretty much the perfect amount - one large rear pocket that can hold a wet tent, rain gear, and a small first aid kit, two side pockets to hold a water bottle, filter, and some odds and ends (plus trekking poles can be stored there when not in use), and the hip belt pockets for anything I want to keep handy like a bandana, snacks, lip balm, etc.

My Tarptent will also fit in a side pocket with the compression straps holding it in place if I want to carry it that way. It's a very versatile pack that can be packed a lot of different ways.

yappy
11-30-2007, 12:13
i like my vapor granite gear... wish the pockets were better though. The only go lite i tried was a pair of sneakers for a thru of the colorado trail this fall. They were awful ! no more go lite for me....

Cuffs
11-30-2007, 12:16
tiger,

did you take the Aura back or are you selling it, I want one!!

tiger bomb
01-16-2008, 22:21
I am selling a GoLite Quest bought in November and used for only a few day hikes. It was not comfortable. It is size small. I am getting a ULA instead. I payed $175 for it, I will take $135 for it which includes shipping.

Also have a Mountainsmith Chimera pack, medium, 3800cu. It is in excellent condition but about 5 years old. ( Only used one long wknd a year). It weighs
3ibs 10 oz. I am selling it for $75 including shipping.

Let me know if you are interested or have any questions.

Auntie Mame
01-17-2008, 00:40
Is the Chimera the tan/khaki Mountain-Lite series one?

tiger bomb
01-17-2008, 14:59
The Mountainsmith is steel blue with bright yellow at the top by the drawstring and on the underside of the removable lid. I was surprised at how light it was but the whole search for packs for my thru hike was because this one is medium and usually hurt my shoulders .

Bear Cables
04-28-2008, 01:10
Hey! Another Philmont hiker! I hiked it twice, once with each son. Only woman on the first trek and crew advisor on the second trip. Awesome experience! BTW I bought a Quest last summer for a section hike on AT .I really like it. Shoulder straps are a little thin so it feels best to pack light.

The Big J
04-28-2008, 12:28
Just used my quest for an 8 day section hike, I like the pack a lot. It carries the weight well and was comfortable. The only time the pack felt off was when I packed 6 liters of water at the top of the pack under the lid. Did this so I did not have to go down to the spring at Ed Garvey. I am a 6 foot 240 and the pack worked well for me

Bear Cables
05-07-2008, 15:17
I actually like not having a lot of pockets. I think the Quest has pretty much the perfect amount - one large rear pocket that can hold a wet tent, rain gear, and a small first aid kit, two side pockets to hold a water bottle, filter, and some odds and ends (plus trekking poles can be stored there when not in use), and the hip belt pockets for anything I want to keep handy like a bandana, snacks, lip balm, etc.

I love the hip belt pockets.

CherrypieScout
05-14-2008, 23:00
I am pack shopping. thinking about Golite Quest, Gregory Deva, or ULA Catalyst. I have a Gregory Windriver - great pack, but heavy. I'm looking ofr something that will be as comfortable as the Gregory, but not as heavy.
Any women use a ULA?

Mercy
05-16-2008, 12:49
I don't live near any gear stores... but, this week while returning from the Foothills Trail (great hike!) I stopped in a couple.

I'd wanted to try a Golite Quest, and was very disappointed that the shape of the pad hit me wrong in the back. The salesman at that store said for the people who that pack fits... they love it, though it doesn't lay right on many people.

I have yet to see a ULA Catalyst... but threw on an Osprey Atmos that was awesome! Now, if I could just try on an Aura....

Mercy

Red Hat
05-16-2008, 14:18
Aura and Atmos are pretty much the same thing. I bought an Atmos before they came out with the Aura. I'm very pleased with it. Just wish it was purple or at least red...