PDA

View Full Version : Tarp storage and other tarp questions

taildragger
10-29-2007, 19:28
How important is it that my tarp is folded perfectly into its original sack, will the material start to get some memory and possibly weaken the material?

As of tonight, I more or less just put the tarp back into its sack, not really caring that it wasn't folded the exact way that it came. The tarp is a silnylon equinox from campmor.

Some other random tarp questions, since the grommets are smaller than the tips of my poles, how hard will it be to set this tarp up as a "flying diamond" (This was the shape that I had intended to use and learn first).

Lastly, since the material is sewn across the 8' section, do I need to use this direction as the ridgeline when using an A-frame style pitch?

SGT Rock
10-29-2007, 19:34
I stuff mine.

Tinker
10-29-2007, 19:39
1) Stuff your tarp. It will love you. Folding it exactly on the orig. creases would be nest to impossible anyway, but with a silnylon tarp, which is impregnated (soaked) with silicone instead of coated with polyurethane, creasing shouldn't be an issue.
2) Tie short pieces of nylon cord to your grommets and put your pole tips through them, or tie your guylines to your tarp grommets, run them through your wrist straps, and anchor them to the ground, or tie them around the plastic or cork grips on your poles (once they are anchored to the grommets) and then stake them out. Tip: you can also tie rubber bands to the grommets on your tarp, roll up the guylines around your hand into a neat bundle beginning at the stake end and secure them to your tarp with the rubber bands. This eliminats guyline tangling.
3) No, you don't need to use the 8' section as your ridgeline, but it will be stronger that way, especially if you seal it inside and out with silicone seam sealer which will glue the overlapping fabric ends as well as seal the thread holes.

T.

Jim Adams
10-30-2007, 00:12
never used a hiking pole in a grommet. I don't know why you would need a pole at all with the "flying diamond".

geek

taildragger
10-30-2007, 08:02
never used a hiking pole in a grommet. I don't know why you would need a pole at all with the "flying diamond".

geek

Lack of trees

Seeker
10-30-2007, 12:05
How important is it that my tarp is folded perfectly into its original sack, will the material start to get some memory and possibly weaken the material?

it's not important. don't refold it exactly. stuff it.

littlelaurel59
10-30-2007, 13:32

As of tonight, I more or less just put the tarp back into its sack, not really caring that it wasn't folded the exact way that it came. The tarp is a silnylon equinox from campmor.

I am unclear about whether you are talking about transporting or storing.

I prefer to store mine loosely draped over a coat hanger where it can get some air. If I put it up before it is completely dry it still doesn't mildew.

taildragger
10-30-2007, 13:34
I was talking about storage specifically, but if I don't have to worry about creases or cracking, then I'll just store it in the easiest manner (fold and stuff).

Thanks for the help, just wasn't sure with this material, I just remember being told to fold tent flies in different directions each time when I was a smaller chittlin.