PDA

View Full Version : How do you store your pack and gear when your not hiking?

Panzer1
10-29-2007, 20:41
I was wondering how people store their gear when their not hiking.

Do you store your sleeping bag in the small stuff sack inside your pack or Do you take it out and store it uncompressed?
Do you keep your sleping pad rolled up or do you inflate it to full size and leave the valve open?
Do you leave gear in your pack or do you take everything out and store it seperately ?
Do you leave your clothing in the pack or do you hang it up?
Is your pack always ready to go or does gear get spread all around the house?
Do you keep your gear in a big pile on the floor next to the pack.
Do you store fuel in your pack or go you keep out in the the garage/shed?

Panzer

Marta
10-29-2007, 20:52
Sleeping bags: No. Sleeping bags are stored loose.
Pads: Flat, with valves open.
Gear in Pack?: Not in pack. Sorted by type and stored with like items.
Clothing: Clothing folded or hung up, and sorted into piles of like items.
Pack loaded?: Pack is empty, but can be packed in 15 minutes by going from station to station (stuff sacks, gloves, tops, jackets, food, stove, spoon, headlamp...), gathering things appropriate to the particular trip.
Where is gear?: In the gear room (formerly known as Elena's room, now that she is a big girl and has her own place).
Fuel: Bulk fuel storage is in the garage. (All white gas stays in the garage.) Small amounts of alcohol are near the stoves, ready to go.

I spent one idle weekend organizing my stuff. Now I really can pack and be off in 15 or 20 minutes. It's great!

Kirby
10-29-2007, 20:53

Do you store your sleeping bag in the small stuff sack inside your pack or Do you take it out and store it uncompressed?

*I personally store my sleeping bag outside of the compression sack, keeps it temperature rating longer that way.*

Do you keep your sleping pad rolled up or do you inflate it to full size and leave the valve open?

*My sleeping pad stays lightly rolled up automatically unless I put something on it to keep it flat*

Do you leave gear in your pack or do you take everything out and store it seperately ?

*I have shelving in my closet for my gear so I can access it easily because I use some of it quite freqeuently*

*I keep my hiking clothing separate from my regualr clothing, buy somewhere I can easily get at it, I personally have a shelf for hiking related clothing*

All my hiking gear is on one set of shelves, I can go into my closet, pack my bag, and walk out only having to add food and water for the trip*

*All gear is on the hiking shelves in my closet*

*I buy enough fuel for the particular hike I am going on*

Panzer

Look for my answers in the quote above.

Kirby

Footslogger
10-29-2007, 20:53
[quote=Panzer1;437684]I was wondering how people store their gear when their not hiking.

I air it out after use (and wash it if necessary) and then store it in a large cotton sack in our gear locker.

I open the valve and allow the mattress (3/4 length Thermarest) to fill passively, fold it in half and place it in our gear locker.

I take everything out of my pack.

I launder all clothing and store it separately outside the pack.

Yes and No. Some gear stays pretty close to the pack but clothing gets put away. I keep a packing list by the pack that allows me to easily assemble everythng in a hurry.

No

If I don't have another trip coming up soon I empty my fuel (denatured alcohol) back into the larger storage container and put in the gear locker.

'Slogger

Summit
10-29-2007, 20:59

Absolutely uncompressed. I take a hanger and insert it in the foot of my sleeping bag and hang it upside down in the back of my walkin closet, barely touching the floor.

I do the later to my ThermaRest pad.

I leave things like my tent ground cloth and things I only use for hiking in it, like my headlamp, Jetboil stove, SteriPen water purifier, water bottle, etc.

No, I need the only two shirts and pants I own too much! :D

Clothes go where I keep all my clothes. Tent, pack, groundpad and other non-used items except for hiking go in space in walk-in closet organized for my hiking stuff.

See above.

My propane tank for Jetboil gets stored in the Jetboil cup, in my pack. When I used Coleman fuel/gas stove, I stored it in the garage.

Summit
10-29-2007, 21:04
As Footslogger suggested, I use a tried and proven checklist on my Palm PDA that syncs to my desktop PC, so I can "check-off" when packing on either the PC or PDA. This list contains things I've forgotten in the past and gets modified slightly from time to time as my gear changes. But I know that when I head out the door to drive to a trailhead, I've checked everything off and don't have to worry about forgetting any essentials. ;)

Mags
10-29-2007, 21:06
>>Do you store your sleeping bag in the small stuff >>sack inside your pack or Do you take it out and >>store it uncompressed?

ALWAYS store a bag uncompressed. I leave all my bags stored in the big cotton storage sacks.

>>Do you keep your sleping pad rolled up or do you >>inflate it to full size and leave the valve open?

I do not use a Thermarest type pad, but I do keep my foam pads stored in various ways:

Z-rest: Folded in a rectangle on my gear shelf
Blue Foam Pad: Folded as a stay in my Six Moon Essence
Spare Camp Pad: In my truck, rolled up

>>Do you leave gear in your pack or do you take >>everything out and store it seperately ?

f
Backpacking gear (Three seaon) is all in my pack ready to go. The pack is hung on my garage wall
Car camping gear fits all in one plastic tote in the truck
Winter Gear My large winter pack (5500 CI), skis, snowshoes and other toys are all in one place.

>>Do you leave your clothing in the pack or do you >>hang it up?

My day hiking/running/backpacking clothing has much overlapping. I keep my "core clothes" (fleece hat, liner gloves and Montbell windshirt) always together. Long underwear top, socks, long bottoms, shorts are usually in my duffle packed for the following day's afterwork run/hike OR ready to go a day hike/weeked backpack.

My daypack is almost always in my vehicle, along with hiking poles, my all around headlamp (Peztl Tikka), a lighter and a first aid kit.There is also a light rain coat stashed in the day pack at all times. Also have two water bottles. Occasionally, I'll just take a fanny pack/water bottle holder (also in the vehicle).

The balaclava and long sleeve polyester shirt are always in my backpack.

I have all clothes sorted by stuff sacks:

SHORTS AND HIKING/RUNNING SOCKS
LONG SLEEVE POLY TOPS
SHORT SLEEVE TOPS
LONG UNDERWEAR BOTTOMS/TIGHTS

At this time of the year, my shell pants, heavier winter mittens, heavy shell mitts, liner gloves, heavier balaclava, shell jackets, goggles and neoprene face mask are all ready to go for a powder day in the backcountry. :)

My extra winter clothing (exp. wt long underwear, even heavier wool balaclava, and some other items, etc. Basically over night winter clothing) are in a seperate stuff sack.

I do have some jackets hanging in a closet.

>>Is your pack always ready to go or does gear get >>spread all around the house?

If you can't tell, I like to be organized. :D

In all seriousness, I find if I am organized, I spend less time packing and can do a trip with relatively notice (or, more typical, lots of procrastination! )

I have extra gear (stuff sacks, tent stakes, older clothing that I don't use, etc.) in a plastic tote.

>>Do you store fuel in your pack or go you keep out >>in the the garage/shed?

All fuels are in containers as appropriate next to their respective stoves.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-29-2007, 21:51
Sleeping bags - hanging in a closet
Quilts - folded loosely and in open area underneath one section of a sofa
Pads - inflatables - with valves open (leaning behind sofa and covered with plastic drop clothe) , closed cell - rolled up in garage
Clothing used only for hiking - in a drawer in She-Dino dresser
Multi-use clothing - all of it lives in a wire-cube type rack in a closet - even socks and underwear
Winter coats in the off season - hang next to sleeping bags
Winter coats in season - entry closet
Trail Runners and boots - in closet next to wire rack above
Packs -hanging on garage wall empty except for a few light items never used for anything except backpacking - raingear is in a stuff sack hanging next to packs
Backpacking gear has it's own shelving unit in the garage -

one shelf for stoves / cookware with a plastic tote on shelf for small items,
one shelf for ground sheets, tarps, tents,
one with lines wound and in ziplocks, stakes in a standup container, has bivies and bugnets next to that
Car camping gear has it's own shelving unit
Overflow gear (extra stuff for when we have a bunch of grandkids with us) in a car-top carrier hanging from bike hooks on garage ceiling
Back of SUV - 2 camp chairs, two umbrellas, a 10' x 12' tarp with stakes and line, a cheap plastic shower curtain (ground cloth), a couple of nylon wind suits (his and hers), two luxury lite town bags (not made anymore - can be used for extra stuff or dirty laundry when traveling or as impromptu daypacks) One town bag has unopened bag of trail mix, a fieldstriped roll of TP, a backpacking first aid and water purification kit (vehicle came with large first aid kit in storage compartment), two disposable ponchos (the 2 for $1 kind) and a double size air mattress with built in pillow and a quilt. Also have a GI can opener and enough canned / boxed food under seat to keep dinos fed for 24 hours - including coffee - and an old beat-up deep aluminum frypan with two forks / spoons. The glove box has - small bottle of sunscreen, small bottle of bug dope, small bottle of alcohol gel, babywipes, 10" x 10" pack towel (Dinos have been known to unexpectedly find themselves in areas they want to stay in - this setup makes an impromptu overnight possible)

Nest
10-29-2007, 21:59
I keep in a pile in the hallway (I'm single). THe hammock underquilt and topquilt are unpacked with a small corner in the stuffsack to make packing it faster. My desk is covered with backpacking food. All I have to do is grab what meals I want like ramen, oatmeal, rice, pasta, liptons, spices, and good stuff like that. Most stuff stays in the pack including the clothes after I wash them of course. If I go camping all I have to do is grab the food I want, stuff the blankets and put them in the pack, and leave. 5 minutes from getting ready to being out the door.

Appalachian Tater
10-29-2007, 22:18
http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml;jsessionid=CKFLEIV1IBIBXQFIAILCM44AV ABBOJVC?CATID=175&PRODID=61110

Except for pack and sleeping bags, which are in a closet, the latter in their storage (not stuff) sacks, and the alcohol, which is under the kitchen sink. Also my headlight stays out for emergencies. When we had that big East Coast power outage a few years back, I never could find my flashlight. Live and learn.

camojack
10-30-2007, 03:37

Panzer
Stop over at "La Casa de Camo" sometime...and I'll show you.

But the short answer: compressed, on shelves.
(I know; bad hiker...)

gumball
10-30-2007, 05:32

Panzer

1. We hang our sleep bags uncompressed as soon as we return from a hike.
2. My husband keeps his pad rolled (his is self inflating). I have a closed cell foam, and just keep it rolled.
3. Everything comes out, is cleaned, and is stored in our gear separate gear boxes.
4. Pack and items are all in one place, ready to go.
5. Fuel cannisters are kept with the rest of the gear.

Newb
10-30-2007, 07:13
I'm a mess, my gear pile reflects it.

SGT Rock
10-30-2007, 07:53

Uncompressed on shelves in my storage room

Foam pads - I keep them rolled up and on my pack

Most stuff is back in the pack and ready for the next trip

Most of it is back in the pack except for insulated lofting clothing like down and synthetic pullovers which are hung up.

Mostly ready. I can be packed and heading out in about 15 minutes. I also keep a good deal of hiker friendly food around - so the longest part of getting ready is usually doing a food inventory and making a shoping list of what to buy to finish up.

Only when I get home and I'm going through my pack. I do the laundry and dishes as soon as we get in. I also usually re-fill my fuel bottle and replenish other consumables like toilet paper and fire starter.

Do you store fuel in your pack or go you keep out in the the garage/shed?I store the alcohol fuel bottle in my pack.

CoyoteWhips
10-30-2007, 08:04
If it looks like mild weather in the forcast, my gear is in the pack, in case I feel like an overnight. Otherwise, I've got shelf with a pile of gear.

My hiking clothes are in rotation with my daily wear, so closet for that.

Tinker
10-30-2007, 08:22
I used to leave everything lying on closet shelves, uncompressed. My tents sometimes remain stuffed in their stuff sacks (once dry) over the winter, and currently my poncho tarp is loosly packed inside one of my ul backpacks with my ul bivy. Large storage bins can be a good way to pack your gear away over a period of time to protect it from rodents, pets, spiders, etc. My tents used to be tossed into one of these until the time I went car camping and left my fly at home. Luckily, I was with a large group and had brought extra tents to share.

Lyle
10-30-2007, 10:37
Bags are stored in closet in storage bags (uncompressed)
Clothing is in rotation with daily wear in closet
Tents, tarps, biveys, etc. packed and scattered around garage
Standard backpacking items left in pack (headlamp, stove, fuel, firstaid, tp, etc)

I have empty gear storage shelving in a spare bedroom, plus several shelves in garage with excess gear. This thread has given me a kick in the butt. Tomorrow (a day off) I now plan to organize this hodge podge. It does make it easier to get out fast if you know where to look for everything.

Mags
10-30-2007, 11:01
It does make it easier to get out fast if you know where to look for everything.

That's what I find. Or, if you procrastinate too much (like me!), you can put off getting ready for the trip until the last minute as well. ;)

JoeHiker
10-30-2007, 11:35

Uncompressed. I'm currently wondering if it's OK to store my JRB Quilts in those rectangular, clear, zip-up containers that they ship them in. I'm guessing not

I don't use a pad anymore but if I did I would keep it compressed. Not really a problem with compressing plastic

Out

I don't hang it up but I do store it in the bin with the pack

Never ready to go. It would take me forever to get going

I keep all my gear in these huge, plastic bins that I get from Home Depot/Lowe's. One of them can store 2 JRB quilts uncompressed. Then I have 2 more for all my gear. I basically just dump it all in there (Hiking clothes included) and sort it out when I need it.

dessertrat
10-30-2007, 11:36
Not a good idea to store sleeping bags compressed. I store my sleeping bag in my pack, but loose, as well as everything else in the pack. (Without any food in there, it all fits).

Seeker
10-30-2007, 11:58
In a nutshell:

Unstuffed, in it's storage bag (not stuff sack), in a closet. Each stuff sack goes in the storage bag too, to keep them together.

Do you keep your sleeping pad rolled up or do you inflate it to full size and leave the valve open?
Valve open, unrolled under my bed.

Mostly on a shelf in a closet, altogether, and not in the pack.
Hammock gets hung to dry, and when done, goes in pack.
Food/water bottles/kitchen go in a kitchen cupboard.

Socks, shirts and shorts go back in the dresser.
Fleece hangs up.
Raingear, hats, and gloves stay in pack.
Shoes/boots go on the shoe shelf on the porch.

Gear is all 'in it's place', but not in the pack. I know where it all is when the time comes.

Definitely not.

Fuel and stove go in my workshop.

taildragger
10-30-2007, 12:00
Sleeping bag, in the storage bag that it came with (or on the shelf, lofting)

Pad, its foam, it just chills

Bag, mostly empty and on the floor

clothes, in with my other clothes, I don't have any 'hiking only' attire

Cookery, scattered all over, depending on what stove I'm making at that time

Food, in the pantry, I seem to prefer eating hiker food most of the time

Fuel is stored wherever the denatured alcohol is needed

bigcranky
10-30-2007, 13:41
We have two closets. Upstairs in the guest room closet we store sleeping bags in their big cloth bags, hang our jackets, and have Rubbermaid storage bins for clothing and personal items. Downstairs in the basement closet we store packs (hanging on hooks and empty), with shelters, cooking equipment, water bottles and the like, and all the miscellaneous stuff in boxes. Reasonably well organized. Thermarests get stores flat under the bed, valve open. Foam pads get rolled and stored in the garage, with the zillions of fuel canisters, fuel tabs, etc.

I can have my gear packed and ready to go in maybe 15-20 minutes. Food might take a while longer, depends on what's in the pantry.