PDA

View Full Version : first thru hike attempt on the AT

trippedoutnatureboy
10-29-2007, 23:14
I plan on thru hiking the AT this up and comming season I am an expierienced backpacker and have done several other thru hikes of much smaller proportions the longest being 187miles in lenght and was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions they think may be helpful to me in my planning this hike I have all the gear that I need and a rough Idea about the resupply on my food and what not. I also have for the past three years been bringing my pack weight down and am happy with it (weight before food usually around 10 to 12 lbs thats with pack,tent,bag,filter,pad,firstaid,stove&cookware and extra clothing items)well anyway any usefull tips would be apprieciated I maybe overthinking it just because the lenght is more than ten times that of any hike I have ever done thanks in advance to all those who post replies

shoe
10-29-2007, 23:59
I would definitely check out the articles on the main page.
There is alot of great information there.

And the overthinking and over anyalyzing is part of the fun?

warraghiyagey
10-30-2007, 01:30
I would definitely check out the articles on the main page.
There is alot of great information there.

And the overthinking and over anyalyzing is part of the fun?

Ditto that.

Lone Wolf
10-30-2007, 06:56
just start walking. you'll figure everything out

TheTank
10-30-2007, 07:45
just start walking. you'll figure everything out

Ditto that.

MOWGLI
10-30-2007, 08:16
:welcome

A thru-hike is just a series of section hikes strung together. Nothing more. Go out there and enjoy yourself! If you wake up one morning and find that you're no longer enjoying yourself, go do something different.

Good luck!

mrc237
10-30-2007, 08:37
Seems to me you should be giving out useful tips! You got you're s**t together! :D GOOD LUCK!!!

Marta
10-30-2007, 08:40
Your longest hike is twice as long as the longest hike I'd done before the AT. You'll be fine. Good luck!

Lyle
10-30-2007, 10:05
You sound ready to start tomorrow. Just relax and have fun!!!

Spend your time getting some more money together if you are limited in that department. Having a nice cushion there will make for a more relaxed trip.

Grampie
10-31-2007, 09:38
I plan on thru hiking the AT this up and comming season I am an expierienced backpacker and have done several other thru hikes of much smaller proportions the longest being 187miles in lenght and was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions they think may be helpful to me in my planning this hike I have all the gear that I need and a rough Idea about the resupply on my food and what not. I also have for the past three years been bringing my pack weight down and am happy with it (weight before food usually around 10 to 12 lbs thats with pack,tent,bag,filter,pad,firstaid,stove&cookware and extra clothing items)well anyway any usefull tips would be apprieciated I maybe overthinking it just because the lenght is more than ten times that of any hike I have ever done thanks in advance to all those who post replies

Looks like you are all set.

(1) Pick a start date.
(2) Make arrangements to get to the trail.
(3) Start walking.

Everything else will fall in place and with a lot of luck you may make it.
Happy trails to you on your adventure.

Smile
10-31-2007, 09:41
You go for it! It is sad to see folks have the desire to hike and not be able to go through with their dream - glad to see you are taking hold and moving forward!

You are out to a great start already posting here and making plans, have a great hike! Are you hiking in 07 or later? :)

trippedoutnatureboy
11-02-2007, 23:21
thanks to all for the encouragement thats whats up this is exactly why i joined this site to hear from others with expierience and also people who share the love for nature and backpacking that i do thanks again peace ,big love and happy trails