PDA

View Full Version : SNP October 2004

Wombat
11-24-2003, 03:51
OK guys, I have read 'Walkin on the Happy Side of Misery' and have not been put off. After doing some walking on the AT in Vermont and Main will arrive October 1 to start SNP to Harpers Ferry. Is this a reasonable expectation of time it will take me? Straight out of Model T's book but would like some feedback from those who have done it at that time of year. All up I will be over there for 5 weeks, don't think the IT department can cope without me for longer than that so I need to keep it to roughly this timeframe.

Overnight Waynesboro
Backcountry Permit at Skyline Drive North of Rockfish Gap
1 Calf Mountain Shelter
2 Blackrock Hut
3 Pinefield Hut
4 Hightop Hut
5 Bearfence Mountain Hut
6 Rock Spring Hut
7 Pass Mountain Hut
8 Gravel Springs Hut
9 Denton Shelter
10 Manassas Gap Shelter
11 Rod Hollow Shelter
12 Blackburn Trail Centre
13 Harpers Ferry
Overnight Harpers Ferry

Peaks
11-24-2003, 09:28
Rockfish Gap to Harpers Ferry is about 162 miles. If you allow 13 days, that's 12 1/2 miles per day, which should be very do-able. The AT is a ridge walk, with no real major climbs or descents. Yes, there is the roller coaster section, but the climbs are not that long really.

For what it's worth, I did this section in 7 days.

Kerosene
11-24-2003, 11:07
It feels like you have a lot of time built in, especially near the end. It's a pretty easy walk from Denton to Rod Hollow, and you should be in pretty good shape by then. It's also easy from Blackburn into Harpers Ferry.

As a long-time section hiker, I suggest that you keep your daily mileage low near the start, even if you start out in good shape. I typically try to plan for 12-mile days at the start, gradually increasing the mileage throughout the first week. You might consider taking a zero day or a low-mileage day somewhere around the end of the first week. For the second week, you should be able to pump up the mileage to 15-16 miles assuming you don't walk as slowly as Hikerhead or Uncle Wayne :D. Remember that daylight hours start to decrease dramatically come October (go to http://www.weather.com for sunrise/sunset/temps for Front Royal).

If you can reserve two weeks for the hike, you can adjust your schedule to fit your mood and the weather. Also, don't get caught up in the hype about The Rollercoaster after Rod Hollow Shelter; I didn't think it was all that bad, especially if you've done a lot in southern New England.