PDA

View Full Version : True ghost stories of the AT

Tennessee Viking
10-30-2007, 00:29
Since Halloween is coming up fast, and I am also a paranormal investigator, I was wondering if anyone would like to share any paranormal or strange experiences on trail. Some of the stories I heard are usually campfire stories, but has anyone actually been spooked on the AT.

I have heard stories about hikers camping our near Uncle Nick Grindstaff's grave, and some nights hikers have heard a dog barking within a few feet and a mummbling voice but no one else would be around.

warraghiyagey
10-30-2007, 01:26
I've always thought that there were logical or scientific answers for all of these paranormal phenomena and probably always would have if not for the two nights I spent at Pierce Pond in June.
Both nights were exquisite in temperature and weather, and no bugs which at the time I found quite odd. In hindsight it seems portent.
I was alone, had a great campfire and played my harmonica and sang the first night. As the embers dimmed I sat on the edge of the lean-to writing in my journal as the night sounds started to get my attention. They were just different and I knew someone or something was about. I could feel it.
Through the moonlight I could see something that kind of took me aback and I sat still as possible while trying to slouch into my sleeping bag.
There is no doubt it was a figure that was moving across my sight between me and the pond.
It was definitely the form of a spectral, woodsy, outdoorsman type with a small pack and what appeared to be fishing gear.
The figure faded into the night and I woke refreshed and relieved to be on the trail in such a beautiful location. I thought about heading out as my first experience like this had me unnerved. But the day was beautiful and I mostly forgot about it as I stayed on to enjoy another day.
But as my camfire lit the trees around me that night, this same Woodsy character reappeared and as the fire crackled its eyes turned toward me and I was truly frightened for the first time in my life and I ran up the hill away from the lean-to and didn't stop til I could barely breathe.
I finally had to slump down next to a tree and wait for the morning.
When daylight came I found my way back to the lean-to, packed up and went to Tim's for pancakes and told him of what I'd seen.
He'd heard of this too. It seems for years this vision has been haunting a wide area of Maine although he was unsure if it had ever caused any trouble.

woodsy
10-30-2007, 01:51
I've always thought that there were logical or scientific answers for all of these paranormal phenomena and probably always would have if not for the two nights I spent at Pierce Pond in June.
Both nights were exquisite in temperature and weather, and no bugs which at the time I found quite odd. In hindsight it seems portent.
I was alone, had a great campfire and played my harmonica and sang the first night. As the embers dimmed I sat on the edge of the lean-to writing in my journal as the night sounds started to get my attention. They were just different and I knew someone or something was about. I could feel it.
Through the moonlight I could see something that kind of took me aback and I sat still as possible while trying to slouch into my sleeping bag.
There is no doubt it was a figure that was moving across my sight between me and the pond.
It was definitely the form of a spectral, woodsy, outdoorsman type with a small pack and what appeared to be fishing gear.
The figure faded into the night and I woke refreshed and relieved to be on the trail in such a beautiful location. I thought about heading out as my first experience like this had me unnerved. But the day was beautiful and I mostly forgot about it as I stayed on to enjoy another day.
But as my camfire lit the trees around me that night, this same Woodsy character reappeared and as the fire crackled its eyes turned toward me and I was truly frightened for the first time in my life and I ran up the hill away from the lean-to and didn't stop til I could barely breathe.
I finally had to slump down next to a tree and wait for the morning.
When daylight came I found my way back to the lean-to, packed up and went to Tim's for pancakes and told him of what I'd seen.
He'd heard of this too. It seems for years this vision has been haunting a wide area of Maine although he was unsure if it had ever caused any trouble.

Hmmmmmmmmm:-?

warraghiyagey
10-30-2007, 01:52
Hmmmmmmmmm:-?

What????:D

woodsy
10-30-2007, 01:56
What????:D
Well i was in the neighborhood, might have unknowingly gone out sleepwalking in the night:eek:

warraghiyagey
10-30-2007, 01:58
Well i was in the neighborhood, might have unknowingly gone out sleepwalking in the night:eek:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. . . . . . . BOO!!:)

Bootstrap
10-30-2007, 06:58
Since Halloween is coming up fast, and I am also a paranormal investigator, I was wondering if anyone would like to share any paranormal or strange experiences on trail. Some of the stories I heard are usually campfire stories, but has anyone actually been spooked on the AT.

No, but I think the story of Jane's Bald has some potential as a ghost story:

http://www.tehcc.org/janebald.htm

Jonathan

Ghosthiker
10-30-2007, 07:00
Ben, Glad to see that I am not the only one here who ghost hunts, too. I have heard something recently about an area near Blood Mountain. I'll try and get you some details.

Walessp
10-30-2007, 07:24
I'm not usually susceptible to ghostly encounters, but I was very much "spooked" by something that seemed to be following me down the trail in VA as I passed the crash site of Audie Murphy's aircraft (Murphy was a WWII hero).

SGT Rock
10-30-2007, 07:31
It's a shame that people actually need it explained to them who Audie Murphy is.

How about that spooky cabin near Sinking Creek valley in Virginia?

Lone Wolf
10-30-2007, 07:32
It's a shame that people actually need it explained to them who Audie Murphy is.

i stayed there 20 years ago. didn't see no stinkin' ghost. :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
10-30-2007, 07:34
Maybe they were 'skeered of you.

The Cheat
10-30-2007, 08:55
Dudleytown

gold bond
10-30-2007, 09:47
Not on the AT. Was with a group camping at Rivers Bridge...a Civil War site here in SC. One of the bloodiest battles.The privy was about 100 yards from where we were camping. Me and another guy was heading that way for our final stop for the night. As we walked down it was as though we were being watched. The hairs were standing up on the back of my neck! We played it off as silly. While I was waiting for him to do whatever I could hear footsteps coming down the trail to the privy. I shouted out thinking it was one of the other guys. The steps got closer still no answer. I then walked about 20 feet up trail...nothing! I thought maybe it was a opossum or something. After he came out and I went in and came out he told me of what happened to him. The same thing...I did not tell him as to what had happened to me so that was wierd!
On our way back to the campsite it sounded like two or three poeple following us. As I turned around I caught a shadow, or what I percieved as a shadow crossing the road. Luckily my friend saw it two. We picked up the pace back to camp!
That was about a year ago. I called the ranger in that area to see if we could get the group site again....they have closed it for unspecified reasons!
I was talking to a lady the other day and we were talking about "strange" campouts and when I started my story and mentioned that it had happened at River's Bridge she spoke up and said..."I will never camp there again, we had to leave in the middle of the night." She went on to tell about the "shadow people" that ran them off!
Now here is my thought...I do not believe in ghost....I do not believe in things I can't see. I do not have an answer for what happened....mass hysteria....mass whatever! I will go back there one day and "check it out" though!

CaseyB
10-30-2007, 09:48
Two local ones:

http://www.hauntmastersclub.com/places/washington_county_abingdon_va_creeper_trail.html

http://www.hauntmastersclub.com/places/washington_county_damascus_va_green_cove_creek.htm l

-The second link refers to "Green Cove Mary" who is supposedly fond of hopping into the backseat of your car if you stop in a certain spot on Chestnut Mtn. Road

Almost There
10-30-2007, 13:07
Alright,

This summer there were four of us camping at Overmountain shelter as the trail comes out of the trees towards the barn in that first cleared area on the left. Laying in my tent around 11pm I heard what sounded like a hiker coming towards us on the trail to the barn. I yelled out, "Is that a hiker coming in?" as the tromping was awfully loud. No answer, so I said it again, and this time the tromping started moving fast and the others heard it as well. All of a sudden the tromping stopped and it was followed up by what we thought sounded the most like flapping wings as something moved by our tents, we all heard it pass, and made the weirdest screech-like sound.

After that we all got out of our tents and tried to figure out what it was, we decided that a small bear came up the trail and big bird came along and carried it away for unknown reasons. Or perhaps it was a ghost, who knows but it did scare the krap out of us at the time.

Flush2wice
10-30-2007, 13:16
Alright,

This summer there were four of us camping at Overmountain shelter as the trail comes out of the trees towards the barn in that first cleared area on the left. Laying in my tent around 11pm I heard what sounded like a hiker coming towards us on the trail to the barn. I yelled out, "Is that a hiker coming in?" as the tromping was awfully loud. No answer, so I said it again, and this time the tromping started moving fast and the others heard it as well. All of a sudden the tromping stopped and it was followed up by what we thought sounded the most like flapping wings as something moved by our tents, we all heard it pass, and made the weirdest screech-like sound.

After that we all got out of our tents and tried to figure out what it was, we decided that a small bear came up the trail and big bird came along and carried it away for unknown reasons. Or perhaps it was a ghost, who knows but it did scare the krap out of us at the time.

Most likely it was mice. I've seen them on the trail around shelters.

rafe
10-30-2007, 13:22

Wondered about that myself. One of several interesting sights on the day I "finished" the AT.

A bit big for a "cabin" though (more like a house, IMO.) I walked around and stared for a long while wondering what the story was. Why was it still standing, why hadn't it been torn down... etc. There were black handprints all over it. Just to add to the spooky effect, I suppose.

Johnny Thunder
10-30-2007, 14:26
This morning I saw a woman walking her bulldog through a pet cemetary. Didn't happen near the trail. Still, even if she wasn't using the dog as a vessel to steal unrisen souls, it is the strangest thing I've seen all day.

gold bond
10-30-2007, 14:36
I see thread people!!

Morning Glory
10-30-2007, 16:34
This had to be about ten years ago...a friend and I decided to drive up to Dicks Creek Gap and just do a one-nighter. We hiked north to the first shelter (can't remember the name of it, but I'm pretty sure it is the last shelter in GA...a big 3 story thing). Anyway, it was probably about 10 p.m....there were two thru hikers asleep up top and my friend and I started hearing the strangest sound I've ever heard while in the woods...."woot! woot! woot!". It was really loud and it even echoed through the forest. The thing sounded like it was about 30 yards away from the shelter and it kept circling making that weird sound "woot!" Notice...it did not "hoot" it "wooted". This went of for about 20 minutes..and then it stopped. The next morning, I asked the thru-hikers what that sound was and they said they didn't even hear it.

AT-HITMAN2005
10-30-2007, 17:11
is this the house everyone is talking about...sure creeped me out even if it isn't the same one. hope this works.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19453&c=530

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19452&catid=newimages

rafe
10-30-2007, 17:13
is this the house everyone is talking about...sure creeped me out even if it isn't the same one. hope this works.

Yeah, the one in Sinking Creek Valley, on the northern descent off Kelly Knob. Strange and creepy indeed.

AT-HITMAN2005
10-30-2007, 17:21
another creepy area was sarver's hollow. didn't see or hear anything that was odd. just the whole area was creepy, with the old homestead and the ovens(?) all along the ridge. don't remember exactly what all the things on the ridge were used for some kind of processing though. foggy the morning i stayed there, too, extra spooky. the new shelter was really nice though.

Tin Man
10-30-2007, 18:22
Alright,

That was no stinking ghost, bear, or bird. That there was big foot!

DuctTape
10-30-2007, 19:04
http://www.pottsville.k12.pa.us/tidelines/102402/lifeandstyle/ghoststories.html

http://www.delcoghosts.com/hawk_mountain.html

The house, or "inn" spoken of here is just up the road from Eckville Shelter. Matthias Schambacher, the first recorded serial killer in U.S. history, is buried in a graveyard clearly visible from The Pinnacle. Google "Matthias Schambacher" and you'll pull up all sorts of fun stuff.

bigmac_in
10-30-2007, 19:35
I'm sure many of you have run into the same creature that we (my buddy canteen boy & I) ran into on our last section hike. He came from a shelter in Low Gap - we heard him coming, we heard him leaving and we heard him again as we passed him. That's right - the thing that wouldn't SHUT UP.

We were camping up the blue blaze trail from the shelter in the morning and two guys came out early in the morning while we were breaking camp. I asked them how the shelter was - they commented that it was OK, there were several mice in there and a dude that talked way too much. They almost left the shelter during the night. Before we had finished packing up, here he came. He must have weighed about 300-350 and was loaded down with about 50-60 pounds of gear. He stopped and talked to us for 15 minutes while we were trying to load up - basically about nothing. He mentioned several times a knife someone had given him for his birthday, which was the week before. I don't know if he was fishing for more gifts, or what.

He finally moved on, talking the whole way up the trail. It took us no time to catch up to him. He had stopped halfway up the hill at a stream flowing out of the mountain and was "refueling". He started the conversation again as we passed. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for good conversation, but meaningless ramblings drive me nuts. As we moved on, he continued to ask questions of us, even as we were 50 yards down the trail.

Boy I was glad I don't do shelters. I would have slit my wrists to stop the pain. Perhaps othere have run into "the thing that won't SHUT UP" - it changes forms and can be found other places along the trail.

BigMc

Flush2wice
10-30-2007, 20:08
I'm sure many of you have run into the same creature that we (my buddy canteen boy & I) ran into on our last section hike. He came from a shelter in Low Gap - we heard him coming, we heard him leaving and we heard him again as we passed him. That's right - the thing that wouldn't SHUT UP.

We were camping up the blue blaze trail from the shelter in the morning and two guys came out early in the morning while we were breaking camp. I asked them how the shelter was - they commented that it was OK, there were several mice in there and a dude that talked way too much. They almost left the shelter during the night. Before we had finished packing up, here he came. He must have weighed about 300-350 and was loaded down with about 50-60 pounds of gear. He stopped and talked to us for 15 minutes while we were trying to load up - basically about nothing. He mentioned several times a knife someone had given him for his birthday, which was the week before. I don't know if he was fishing for more gifts, or what.

He finally moved on, talking the whole way up the trail. It took us no time to catch up to him. He had stopped halfway up the hill at a stream flowing out of the mountain and was "refueling". He started the conversation again as we passed. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for good conversation, but meaningless ramblings drive me nuts. As we moved on, he continued to ask questions of us, even as we were 50 yards down the trail.

Boy I was glad I don't do shelters. I would have slit my wrists to stop the pain. Perhaps othere have run into "the thing that won't SHUT UP" - it changes forms and can be found other places along the trail.

BigMc

Was he a big dude with kind of scraggly hair, maybe wearing a bandana or a hat? I think I know who your talking about. That dude wouldn't shut up.

Hikerhead
10-30-2007, 21:19
This had to be about ten years ago...a friend and I decided to drive up to Dicks Creek Gap and just do a one-nighter. We hiked north to the first shelter (can't remember the name of it, but I'm pretty sure it is the last shelter in GA...a big 3 story thing). Anyway, it was probably about 10 p.m....there were two thru hikers asleep up top and my friend and I started hearing the strangest sound I've ever heard while in the woods...."woot! woot! woot!". It was really loud and it even echoed through the forest. The thing sounded like it was about 30 yards away from the shelter and it kept circling making that weird sound "woot!" Notice...it did not "hoot" it "wooted". This went of for about 20 minutes..and then it stopped. The next morning, I asked the thru-hikers what that sound was and they said they didn't even hear it.

My guess would be that this was a deer snorting. Just a guess.

bigmac_in
10-30-2007, 21:34
Was he a big dude with kind of scraggly hair, maybe wearing a bandana or a hat? I think I know who your talking about. That dude wouldn't shut up.

We called him "Chops" because he had the BIG sideburns. Said he started at Springer in April - this was the middle of May. He hadn't got far.

Morning Glory
10-30-2007, 22:15
My guess would be that this was a deer snorting. Just a guess.

It wasn't a deer...it was a high-pitched "woot"....like some weird kind of bird.

Flush2wice
10-30-2007, 22:51
It wasn't a deer...it was a high-pitched "woot"....like some weird kind of bird.
It was probably mice, they can be troublesome.

Flush2wice
10-30-2007, 22:53
We called him "Chops" because he had the BIG sideburns. Said he started at Springer in April - this was the middle of May. He hadn't got far.
Was he wearing boots?

Tin Man
10-30-2007, 22:58
It was probably mice, they can be troublesome.

or Sasquatch...

http://www.messinwithsasquatch.com/

Hikerhead
10-30-2007, 22:58

I don't know...I had a bird squarking at me while hiking out in the dark from Devils Marble Yard one time. One moment it was back the woods yelling, the next it up near the trail yelling and then it move back in the woods yelling away...it did this for quite some time while we stood and listened. I had never heard anything like it before and not since. Some kind of an owl perhaps.

Tennessee Viking
10-30-2007, 23:04
For you sectioners and SOBOs in the southern Virgina & Tennessee sections, if taking Halloween off or not starting till late, listen to 94.9 out of Bristol VA. I will be on the radio with some my friends talking about the local ghost stores of VA/TN/NC.

I will try to give Uncle Nick a shout out and some of the local AT stories & haunts.

Hikerhead
10-30-2007, 23:13
For you sectioners and SOBOs in the southern Virgina & Tennessee sections, if taking Halloween off or not starting till late, listen to 94.9 out of Bristol VA. I will be on the radio with some my friends talking about the local ghost stores of VA/TN/NC.

I will try to give Uncle Nick a shout out and some of the local AT stories & haunts.

Somebody should podcast that so that we can all hear it.

Tennessee Viking
10-30-2007, 23:43
I will have to ask. Its a very popular but small pop rock station. I haven't been able to find any podcasting links yet.

We are just going to tell some stories of local lore, then some of the investigations we been on, and take calls.

My hiker side wants to say, "If you hear a bump in the night, you probably want to run...its a bear."

Uncle Silly
10-31-2007, 20:37
I will have to ask. Its a very popular but small pop rock station. I haven't been able to find any podcasting links yet.

We are just going to tell some stories of local lore, then some of the investigations we been on, and take calls.

If you can get permission and a recording (I'd assume the station would have a recording of some kind) send it to me and I can get it straight. Doesn't really matter what format -- tape, CD, audio file.

johnny quest
07-21-2008, 15:38
my brother, cousin and i were on a trip in alabama years ago. a buck stumbled into our no-fire campsite before he knew we were there. we awoke to him, scared to death, moaning and groaning and barking and rutting in the ground. to wake to this was horrible. it was like satan was standing there in the dark before us. then he crashed off and revealed himself to be just a frightened deer.

Pedaling Fool
07-21-2008, 20:05
I stayed at Watauga Lake Shelter 5-15-07 the shelter was full so I tented behind the shelter; never heard/saw anything that night, but the next morning two people, who did not know one another, reported seeing orb-like lights in front of the shelter sometime during the night. They described them as being very distinct and definitely not lightening-bugs. They seemed sincere, what can you say.

Tennessee Viking
07-21-2008, 23:13
I stayed at Watauga Lake Shelter 5-15-07 the shelter was full so I tented behind the shelter; never heard/saw anything that night, but the next morning two people, who did not know one another, reported seeing orb-like lights in front of the shelter sometime during the night. They described them as being very distinct and definitely not lightening-bugs. They seemed sincere, what can you say.

Its called fox fire. Its real famous around Watauga Lake and up through the Doe Valley into Virginia. Its similiar to the Brown Mountain Lights in NC. There are a number of legends and so-called logical explanations for it.

I was day hiking around the lake. I even heard what I thought were dogs barking and howling at the shelter. I went up to the shelter to see if a hiker was there, but no one was there. And I was the only one on trail in the area of the shelter, no body had passed me on the way in or out. And there were no boats on that side of the lake. I thought it could have been a wild dogs on the mountain.

gregdog
07-22-2008, 07:29
ok, I don't really get into this kind of stuff, but I have to say that last week, while hiking from wayah gap to wesser, I definitely felt some type of presence at Burningtown Gap, near the apple trees in the clearing. I read the history on the ancient Cherokee village, and I don't know, something is up with that spot......any locals up there have any more info on that area?

oldfivetango
07-22-2008, 08:01
I see thread people!!

Now that's funny,I don't care who ya're.
Oldfivetango

Monkeyboy
07-22-2008, 08:58
ok, I don't really get into this kind of stuff, but I have to say that last week, while hiking from wayah gap to wesser, I definitely felt some type of presence at Burningtown Gap, near the apple trees in the clearing. I read the history on the ancient Cherokee village, and I don't know, something is up with that spot......any locals up there have any more info on that area?

We were there two weeks ago. Stopped there for dinner before moving on to the Cold Spring shelter a few miles to the north....

Two of our crew got violently sick to their stomachs, vomited and then the feeling passed.

Strange that it was in the same location you mentioned.

gregdog
07-22-2008, 09:09
that's strange....when we were there the sound in the whole area seemed to be muffled, not alive, and we all got a real down feeling. that's the only way I can describe it. It all wore off shortly after passing through. we stopped at cold spring to rest and discuss it, then went on and camped on wesser bald. It is the only place I've ever felt uncomfortable on the trail. Glad we didn't stop to eat there.

Monkeyboy
07-22-2008, 09:23
I would agree with the feeling of "muffled". No one really like being there, even though it was quite peaceful looking.

Wise Old Owl
07-23-2008, 06:46
:p"a bit of undigested beef."

SunnyWalker
08-07-2008, 21:56
"true" and "Ghost stories" is/are a contradiction.

Tennessee Viking
08-08-2008, 00:59
In my experience, there are those stories you tell around the camp fire for fun. Then there are the stories that make faces & expressions turn stone cold.

There are some really weird stories off trail near Allen Gap TN about a cranky old man living in a cave that bad people turn white.

mister krabs
08-08-2008, 07:23
"true" and "Ghost stories" is/are a contradiction.

Quite wrong.

Ghosthiker
08-08-2008, 07:53
Quite wrong.

I agree, been there, seen that.

chiefduffy
08-08-2008, 16:44
From my '07 journal

I was gettinG low on water, and it was hot. I came down into Beech Gap, and saw a blueblaze leading off into the rhododendrums and followed it a few hundred yards to a tiny spring. I filled my bottle, then soaked my bandana and wiped the sweat off my brow. When I returned to where I had dropped my pack, I took off my shoes, put my feet up on my pack, and lay my head back for a rest. A cool breeze whispered through the shade, and as has become my habit, I quickly fell deep asleep. After a little while, I saw a man standing next to me. He had on a shapeless brimmed hat, a brown jacket of some soft material that must have been awful hot to wear, and wore a curly brown beard and had long stringy brown hair. His faded blue eyes were mildly interested, as he looked at my pack. He stood near my right elbow, and spotted my water bottle at my left. He mumbled something like, "I'd like to look at this, just for a minute" as he leaned across me to pick it up. As his shadow crossed my face, I opened my eyes, only to see that, of course, I was completely alone.

CarolinaJP
08-11-2008, 19:58
What about a bigfoot ghost?

Gray Blazer
08-11-2008, 21:33

Same with me. I took a pic there and a spirit orb showed up on the pic right in front of me on the trail.

oldfivetango
08-11-2008, 21:39
Ghosts are real.We had an experience in my family with
one.Yeah,it goes against everything they taught me at the
local Baptist church and the people there would likely want to
see me burn for even admitting it.
Since it did not happen on the AT I guess it would be inappropriate
to post it here but it would be appropriate to say that one should not
totally discount paranormal activity anywhere,including the AT.
Oldfivetango

hoyawolf
08-18-2008, 22:18
strange are the ways of men and gods

ct1974rlw
08-19-2008, 17:03
It's not on the AT-but you might want to check out Dudleytown in Cornwall Ct (not far from the AT) lots of history on it, hiked it alot in my youth (grew up in CT-a family friend owns the property). It was a strange place and well documented as well. It's an old settlement.

You always know when you have entered D-town-no birds, no bugs, no animal sightings. It's dead quiet and you can hear a pin drop in there. It's always like that. A team of scientists from Yale or Harvard did an investigation in there on the rocks, terrian and stuff like that (it's on top of a mountain and pretty remote) and their findings were a bit unusual-howver I am not sure if that accounts for how strange the place is and how spooky it is even in broad daylight. Lots of info on the net about it.

Sarcasm the elf
10-31-2014, 00:50
Bump...what better way to start Halloween than with a zombie thread! :eek:

Anyone have any good ghost stories from the trail this year?

wormer
10-31-2014, 07:44
On two separate days west of Monson last year I heard voices on the trail. The first was a group of people speaking, so my mom and I stepped off the trail to let them pass and they never appeared. The second time I heard a female voice talking, without finding the source.

Ktaadn
10-31-2014, 09:45
Why isn't this in the humor forum? There are no true ghost stories.

Pedaling Fool
10-31-2014, 09:52
Its called fox fire. Its real famous around Watauga Lake and up through the Doe Valley into Virginia. Its similiar to the Brown Mountain Lights in NC. There are a number of legends and so-called logical explanations for it.

I was day hiking around the lake. I even heard what I thought were dogs barking and howling at the shelter. I went up to the shelter to see if a hiker was there, but no one was there. And I was the only one on trail in the area of the shelter, no body had passed me on the way in or out. And there were no boats on that side of the lake. I thought it could have been a wild dogs on the mountain.From their descriptions I don't believe it was Fox Fire, because it was floating around, like orbs. I'm not saying they were ghosts or anything, I'm one of those people that are naturally skeptical, but it was interesting to witness their reactions to this sighting, whatever it was.

With respect to the Brown Mountain Lights (BML), from the descriptions I've heard that also would not be Fox Fire, since they are seen floating. I view the BML issue sort of like other floating light phenomenons, such as the Paulding light http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulding_Light

However, these type of light phenomenons I see as different than what they saw at the Shelter, because they were basically right there, whereas the Paulding light (and other similar sightings) are further away from the observer(s) and apparently unapproachable.

I'm not saying they are supernatural, if there is such a thing, but I don't believe that science has described them yet, despite all the "explanations" out there.

vamelungeon
10-31-2014, 10:15
Why isn't this in the humor forum? There are no true ghost stories.

Yes there are. I thought just like you at one time, but had a couple of experiences that changed my mind. I guess it's just something you have to go through for yourself.

Pedaling Fool
10-31-2014, 10:16
...There are no true ghost stories.You're probably right, but there does seem to be something going on and shouldn't be ignored by science or explained away with typical contempt. However, I do understand the contempt, to a point, because this subject does attract a lot of wacky people, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to it, but it also doesn't mean it's supernatural.

This was an interesting book I read not too long ago on the subject, by a lady (Katherine Ramsland http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Ramsland ) that accidently came across a "haunted" ring http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Investigating-Other-Katherine-Ramsland/dp/0312261640/ref=la_B000APFCQC_1_35?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1414764304&sr=1-35

But I'm not trying to "convert" you or anyone, just saying I find it interesting subject, once you clear away all the garbage created by the idiots, and there's a lot of it out there.

Personally, I don't quite know what to think, other than the skeptics have it wrong, but not totally; I do believe most "sightings" are from people who want to believe, but then you have them stories that just seem to suggest something else is going on.:-?

LibertyBell
10-31-2014, 11:07
Gold Bond, "I see thread people". Too funny. Good way to start my day.

Kerosene
10-31-2014, 11:22
On two separate days west of Monson last year I heard voices on the trail. The first was a group of people speaking, so my mom and I stepped off the trail to let them pass and they never appeared. The second time I heard a female voice talking, without finding the source.Voices carry a long way in the woods in the right conditions. Many of us think that we are a long way from other people but there are a lot of people on the Trail much of the year. In addition, the human mind frequently attempts to categorize certain sounds as voices. Happens all the time to me when I'm near a babbling brook or if the wind is blowing just right. Unless you can make out sentences and a conversation (which I can never quite seem to despite my mind telling me it is a human voice), then it's just noise (or an astral projection of course).

rafe
10-31-2014, 11:52
Search "Weird Hikes" on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Weird-Hikes-Collection-Bizarre-Absolutely/dp/B007K5G95I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414770545&sr=8-1&keywords=weird+hikes

It's a collection of interesting short stories about the author's hikes, most of them involve a bit of the paranormal, shall we say. Not a bad read.

The very first story is about a hike in the Glen adjacent to Antioch College in Ohio. Interesting to me as my wife and I both went there. (She graduated from there, whereas I was just passing through.)

RED-DOG
10-31-2014, 15:03

Yes it's located just past Laurel Creek Shelter on the Left about 100ft from the trail but on my 2012 thru I wanted to see if the stories was true so I slept in it and so I will report their is no Ghost in that house but I did get the best night sleep I have had on the trail.
but this is a true ghost story I was camped at Punch Bowl shelter and in the middle of the night I saw a small figure walking around just out side my tent but their was no one else camped around I was totally alone, the next morning I got up and went out side NO foot pints, I believe it was the Ghost of Little Ottie Cline Powell. a couple of days later I was taking a break and this couple came walking up and they asked me if I experienced anything weird around the Punch Bowl I told them about the small figure and the story about Little Ottie and they also said they saw it, I truly believe that the Punch Bowl is Haunted by Little Ottie Cline Powell's Ghost.

Second Hand
10-31-2014, 23:56
OK, I got a good one.
I have been section hiking the LT this year. As I've worked my way further North and the season has gotten colder I've seen less and less people, until my last hike where I ran into absolutely no one for 24 hours (Well, a few people at a road crossing and one trail runner who must have run for miles to get there... Maybe she was a ghost? But no hikers)

Anyway, on my second day I finally reached my hiking meditation. I zoned out and focused on nothing but putting one foot in front of another. As I was going I thought I heard a few people talking behind me. I slowed down, because frankly, I would have welcomed a friendly conversation, but the talking stopped and I was once again in silence. Off and on over the next 5 or 6 miles I heard footsteps and leafs rustling behind me as if someone was approaching. I would stop to confirm it wasn't the sound of my paints swishing or my pack rubbing against my jacket and the footsteps would continue until coming to a stop.

I knew the shelter I was staying at that night was popular and there was a side trail to reach it not far from a road, so I was hoping for some company and getting a little freaked out. When I finally reached the shelter to my dismay no one was there and light was fading fast. As I sat there making dinner an older man approached wearing jeans, no gear and a very nice sweater. Not typical hiking gear for Northern VT in October. He asked if he could join me. We chatted for a long time. Probably over an hour. I shared my dinner with him and he told me all sorts of stories about the history of the area. The conversation shifted to people who have gone missing on the LT, and then, he stood up and said "Sometimes I swear I hear them walking behind me when I'm alone out here." We said our good byes and then he walked off into the night with no head lamp. Strange,
When I got home I looked up his name only to discover he had died on the trail years ago!!! Ok, just kidding on the last part, but the rest is true.
He told me he was local and took the hike out to the shelter frequently... Was he a ghost? Probably not. Heck, he probably has a whiteblaze account. When I woke up the next morning I just had an eerie feeling. I didn’t even eat breakfast. I just took off and ate a poptart as I flew down the trail.

Second Hand
11-01-2014, 00:01
Has anyone mentioned Bennington VT / Glastonbury MT?

If you've never seen it check out the documentary!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdyysF0VC20

This has it all, Ghost Towns, murders, 5 people missing in 5 years, "The Bennington Monster", "The Bennington Triangle." It was on unsolved mysteries. I'm glad I didn't know this before i hiked this section. AT / LT. Cool story. The doc was a college project, but it's well done and well researched.

NY HIKER 50
11-01-2014, 18:57
Ok, here goes and I don’t think anyone can match these. As for safety I would not worry. I don’t go looking for these they just happen.

One night I was set up and it seemed kind of ready to storm. It seemed very humid and oppressive. I either fell asleep or was dreaming or was I awake? I know there was a small cemetery below and who knows, maybe she was not from there. I suddenly heard a woman’s voice say “you know it’s raining heavy down in _____. Be careful! I woke up and nothing was happening for about a half hour. Then a heavy thunderstorm rolled in. I was stealth camping and no one else was around.Was I being warned?

Another time in New Jersey I saw what looked like a black and white picture of another backpacker coming at me. I just stood aside and he passed me by and disappeared. Nothing was said. Ghost? Imagination?

I also have camped twice in a place that’s considered the most haunted place in America but nothing happened. I also camped at a shelter but Little Ottie never showed himself so I guess I’m safe there.

I’ve had a lot more encounters over the years and I think these two are more than enough to reveal. I never freaked like most people, I just kept my composure.

I also thought I heard what sounded like a crazy radio in Harriman State Park that somehow always seemed out of reach.

Now it's up the the ghost hunters to tell me if these experiences were real or my imagination.

NY HIKER 50
11-01-2014, 19:00
I also passed a cemetary in New Jersey where I would stop and get some water at a spigot near the road. As I was going to it I heard a voice say very low "the water's off" and it surly was. Oh well let's see some of your beat that. These things reallly happened.

mikec
11-01-2014, 20:57
After my GA to VA section hike in 1999 a lady contacted me about using some pictures from my web site in her book, I said yes, she sent me the book and it was about strange happenings in the Smokey Mountains:

http://www.amazon.com/Smoky-Mountain-Mysteries-Juanitta-Baldwin-ebook/dp/B004T4X5OG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414889732&sr=8-2&keywords=ghosts+in+the+smoky+mountains

Pedaling Fool
11-02-2014, 19:45
After my GA to VA section hike in 1999 a lady contacted me about using some pictures from my web site in her book, I said yes, she sent me the book and it was about strange happenings in the Smokey Mountains:

http://www.amazon.com/Smoky-Mountain-Mysteries-Juanitta-Baldwin-ebook/dp/B004T4X5OG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414889732&sr=8-2&keywords=ghosts+in+the+smoky+mountains

Her name is Juanitta Baldwin and she's written quite a few books on the Smoky Mountains, if anyone is interested. http://www.amazon.com/Juanitta-Baldwin/e/B000AP9EZC

imscotty
03-20-2018, 22:50
Here is a short video of a scary 'campfire story.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-FN3J0ymEk

Gives a whole knew meaning to the idea of 'finding yourself' out on the trail.

BlakeM
05-04-2018, 03:47
Well, the story is short but not very pleasant for me. As in my childhood, I read with friends stories about ghosts with illustrations. Another couple of weeks probably scared of all kinds of shadows. Then passed for a while. I forgot about this book. But there was described in it one ghost, which the train moved his head (cut off). And already being older we walked next to the rails when suddenly I saw a figure. It seemed to me that it was pouring like a reflection in the water or as if you were looking through a dark glass. What I remember is that this body was in good shape (approximately as an adult male), however too short for such a size ... As if without a head ...:-?

RockDoc
05-04-2018, 11:09
For those of us that think that science can explain all these things I'm here to tell ya that science simply ignores things that it does not understand, or lacks the vocabulary to describe.

trailmercury
05-04-2018, 13:18
For those of us that think that science can explain all these things I'm here to tell ya that science simply ignores things that it does not understand, or lacks the vocabulary to describe.

For those of us that think that religion can explain all these things I'm here to tell ya that religion simply ignores things that it does not understand, or lacks the vocabulary to describe.

Runner2017
05-04-2018, 13:24
For those of us that think that religion can explain all these things I'm here to tell ya that religion simply ignores things that it does not understand, or lacks the vocabulary to describe."George Orwell once remarked that the average person today is about as naive as was the average person in the Middle Ages. In the Middle Ages people believed in the authority of their religion, no matter what.*Today, we believe in the authority of our science, no matter what."

—*Neil Postman, Informing Ourselves to Death (1990)

Neil Postman: Informing Ourselves to Death*

Rex Clifton
05-04-2018, 17:02
I ain't afraid of no ghosts!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

gpburdelljr
05-04-2018, 18:13
“True ghost stories” is an oxymoron

gpburdelljr
05-04-2018, 18:13

Mother Natures Son
05-04-2018, 19:07
Iron Master's Hostel in Pine Grove State Part is rather spooky. There are many "tales" of run away slaves and the brave folks who tried to win their freedom. Some made it, others....!

goatee
05-04-2018, 19:08
Overnight at Hogback shelter 2017 sometime around 2 am I woke up needing to pay the water bill,as I am standing behind the shelter I look up the trail that comes down to the shelter and saw floating white balls of light or orbs floating about 6 feet above the forest floor.Hundreds of them moving at a slow walk pace until they disappeared over a hill.I have read Indians believe them to be dead spirits who died in the wilderness. Anyone else ever see the white orbs?

goatee
05-04-2018, 19:13
Scratch the word dead. Not able to edit.

BlakeM
05-05-2018, 04:29
Easy, guys, easy! ) It's just topic with ghost story:sun

BlakeM
05-05-2018, 04:37
You know, no matter how trite it may sound, but this case was mentioned in the book from the childhood I wrote about. So, there was described the case when three guys walked in the woods at a later time and went to the river. On the other shore was a hill. And they noticed that a large number of such balls with lights went up this hill in a spiral. When they saw better they were dumbfounded ... After all, these lights carried dozens of ghosts (well, or maybe some kind of religious fanatics, which may be). It's like "they went to heaven" ... I suppose a terrible picture ...

cmoulder
05-05-2018, 06:15

Indeed, but the primal allure of superstition/supernatural is strong.

LittleTrouper&Human
05-05-2018, 10:45
I recently had a weird thing happen to me while over in the Philippines. My best friend and I were staying in Baguio at her cousin's apartment building. They allowed us to have our own apartment for two days, each having their own beds. (After 2 weeks of sleeping in the same bed, we both were in need of a break)

The first night we were there, I had this weird waking/sleeping dream about a lady standing near my bed just watching me. In my dream, I had to pee extremely bad but did not want to get up in order to go pee because she was there. I guess in my dream I was scared she was going to try to grab me. I woke up before the sun rise needing to go pee. After that dream, there was no way in hell I was getting out of the bed to turn on the lights. So I held my pee untill daylight and I could see in the bedroom.

Cue on miday when we were in the car with my BFFs cousin. They asked how we slept. I mentioned the dream and laughed about it. Her cousin's husband and cousin were quiet, and than her cousin piped up to very seriously ask, "What room were you in?"

Legit. I felt the blood drop from my face. Because they were serious. They weren't laughing. They were downright curious and obviously holding something back.

I later found out that the previous person in the apartment had jumped out of the window in the room I was staying in. She had been seen a few times since than in that apartment but mostly coming in and out that room. A lot of people had seen her, including the security guard and doorman. The neighbor had called the security guy up because he thought someone had been tresspassing on the apartment. Nope. Just a woman who walked through walls.

BFF's cousin even described the woman too a T. White woman. Tall. Skinny. Was wearing a really pretty dressing gown.

Lets just say...I slept with the lights on that second night.

SWODaddy
05-05-2018, 19:54
Stealth camping near Hurricane Mountain shelter in Southern Virginia a couple years ago.... Woke up in the middle of the night to a 6" projected light on my tent. My first thought was "wow, the moon is bright", then I turned over and saw the moon...it was a crescent. Then I watched the light slowly, steadily move across my tent. It was definitely projected light.

No idea what it was. Never heard a thing. I was in thick rhododendrons and saw no shadows.

Woke up the next morning and told my wife I saw the weirdest thing last night (she was hammocking about 20ft away)...before I could even finish she said "the lights?!" She said she was about to scream for help at one point.

I've seen "foxfire" (really quite pretty), this wasn't foxfire. I've heard possible explanations ranging from light refraction through gasses from decaying plant matter to reflections from the eyes of owls. It was definitely odd. My wife refuses to go anywhere near that place again.

Traveler
05-06-2018, 07:03
This week on "Finding Bigfoot", space aliens leave flashlights around the woods and fun ensues when the hairy primates discover them and punking concurrently.

jdenkevitz
05-08-2018, 12:53
"George Orwell once remarked that the average person today is about as naive as was the average person in the Middle Ages. In the Middle Ages people believed in the authority of their religion, no matter what.*Today, we believe in the authority of our science, no matter what."

—*Neil Postman, Informing Ourselves to Death (1990)

Neil Postman: Informing Ourselves to Death*
Except anyone who understands the basics regarding science, recognizes the fallacy in that quote. Science is merely a methodology for observing, postulating hypothesis, and testing them. Nothing more, nothing less.