PDA

View Full Version : CDT Record

Lone Wolf
10-30-2007, 11:04
what is the fastest time someone has covered the CDT supported? i hear thru the grapevine that David Horton a.k.a. The Runner, former AT record holder and current PCT record holder, will go for the CDT record the summer of 08

hopefulhiker
10-30-2007, 11:20
Have you ever done the PCT or the CDT Wolf?

Lone Wolf
10-30-2007, 11:22
Have you ever done the PCT or the CDT Wolf?

just small pieces. day hiking

Mags
10-30-2007, 11:25
Here's what I wrote on the CDT-L and I still stand by it. I think the idea of an "official" record on the CDT is not really feasible at this time. I wish Horton luck for his personal record.

>>You didn't mention Temple Pass vs the "official" roadwalk vs the Popo Agie. I'd recommend 2 of the 3. Do I need to specify which >>ones?

And that is, partly, why a "speed record" is really hard to call valid on the CDT. What comparison do you use?
Squeaky's time was mentioned. Did he go through the Winds via the majestic Temple Pass route or stick to the road walk?
(I honestly don't know..nor care.) What if Person A went over Mt. Taylor and the other person stuck to the flatter road walk?

I only bring this up because to do a true record attempt, each person would have to do the EXACT same route. Something rather difficult to do on an unfinished trail that is widely accepted to be a corridor as much as a trail. Otherwise you are comparing apples to grapes to oranges to bananas.

If you plan on following the USFS designated route you are missing some astounding scenery in the Winds alone. Plus there is the weather factor. If a freak snowstorm dumps 3 ft of snow in the San Juans and stays there (like in 2006), is your record invalid because you had to take a lower route? WHat if a portion of the CDT is closed due to grizzly activity in Glacier? You'll have to take an alternate route? Is the record invalid?

Anyway, does not really matter what we say on this list. Record attempts will be made. Sponsorships will be given and press releases will trumpet it. And perhaps .01% of the people in the country will even know about it. :D I honestly have nothing against speed hiking, I just don't think the CDT can truly have a "speed record" journey at this point that is truly valid.

The only real criteria for a successful journey on the CDT is if you enjoyed it or not. I'll leave the debate on records, what is a "Real thru-hike" and other such "Angels on the heads of a pin" type arguments to people who care about this stuff.

I am an outdoors person, not an athlete. I may hike "faster" than most (meaning I hike all day), I may do some stuff that could be considered a bit odd [1] by many but that is just gravy. The athletic part of being outdoors is secondary, to well, being outdoors.

I am an outdoors person because I want to see the sunrise over Temple Pass again. Or see glacier lilies up on the Highline Trail in Glacier. See another sunrise over the desert.

I will leave the records, discussions of V02 max, PRs and what type of goo shots to the athletes who go outdoors. Best of luck in whoever attempts a "record". I hope they get out of the journey what they seek. They will get a personal record and hopefully some wonderful memories.

But for a raw, wild and unfinished trail like the CDT, a "record" means more to gear companies, magazines and sports supplement companies. Those who have experienced the CDT know that a record is more whatever a person proclaims it to be than what conforms to reality. I will smile when I hear of a new CDT record: I smile because I'm amused at the thought of "record" on the CDT. I mainly smile, though, because it reminds me of the journey I spent on this wonderful trail. May others smile for similar reasons.

Just my .02, YMMV, whatever works for you, I really don't care,etc..etc..etc..

Mags

[1] Just ask my ex-girlfriends. :D

Lone Wolf
10-30-2007, 11:29
so you don't know the fastest time.

Mags
10-30-2007, 11:38
so you don't know the fastest time.

No one knows the fastest time for the CDT.. Squeaky had a fast time that is known at 75 days for his route. And the idea of an "official" speed record on the CDT is still...not really feasible.

Mags
10-30-2007, 11:39
Read for yourself:

http://mailman.hack.net/pipermail/cdt-l/2007-September/001602.html

And followups:
http://mailman.hack.net/pipermail/cdt-l/2007-October/date.html

Lone Wolf
10-30-2007, 11:40
was just wondering. i'm not gonna fight and argue about it

Mags
10-30-2007, 11:41
was just wondering. i'm not gonna fight and argue about it

Neither am I. Just stating my strong opions. I'm sure you can understand about strong opinions. :)

Almost There
10-30-2007, 12:44
Wolf,

Since when do you care about how fast someone finished a trail???

Lone Wolf
10-30-2007, 12:46
Wolf,

Since when do you care about how fast someone finished a trail???

i've always been interested in speed/fast hikes. i met Horton in 91 when he was going for the record at the same time as Maineak, who i was supporting.

Sly
10-30-2007, 13:11
No one knows the fastest time for the CDT.. Squeaky had a fast time that is known at 75 days for his route. And the idea of an "official" speed record on the CDT is still...not really feasible.

If there is a time, it has to be Squeaky's 75 days. From all I read, he took the longest route, such as the loop through the RMNP, and took no cut-offs. But I agree the CDT isn't the type of trail where it's feasible to claim records.

That said, I may be out there again next year. Maybe I can lend Dave some support.

Mags
10-30-2007, 15:12
If there is a time, it has to be Squeaky's 75 days. From all I read, he took the longest route, such as the loop through the RMNP, and took no cut-offs. But I agree the CDT isn't the type of trail where it's feasible to claim records.

That said, I may be out there again next year. Maybe I can lend Dave some support.

Whatis funny, if you take the USFS designated route in some cases, it avoids the arguably harder (but more scenic places) such as the Winds. The "official" route is inthe valley due to horse accessiblity..

SOOOOOO..to take the "official" route, you miss what is arguably more difficult. According to Horton's e-mail, he is taking the official and easier route in some cases. (In other cases, such as the Creede Route, it is shorter and obviously easier than the "official" one. But in bad weather, does it become the "official"route?)

Which is why I think a CDT "official" speed record is like comparing apples to ..never mind another fruit.. to horseshoes. :)

I honestly wish David Horton good luck. it is what he wants to do and what more can a person ask for than that! But, I don't think it will truly be an official anything other than a very impressive personal achievement.

As I said, I know the gear companies, magazines, sports supplements, etc. will declare it "official". So my opinion means jack squat.

Which is why I (in part) smile. :)

Anyway, just my opinion. Like something else..we all have opinions and they all stink. :D

Sly
10-30-2007, 15:30
Yeah, there's so many ways to hike the CDT, claiming a record is kind of meaningless. I also think the CDT is a lot harder route to do as a supported hike, as road access is severely limited in many sections. He's gong to have some serious logistics.

Mags
10-30-2007, 17:38
Yeah, there's so many ways to hike the CDT, claiming a record is kind of meaningless. I also think the CDT is a lot harder route to do as a supported hike, as road access is severely limited in many sections. He's gong to have some serious logistics.

There's enough in the ultra community where it will be OK on his end. His support crew may be pulling their hair, though!

Though he did state that the PCT was not very well marked in places. IIRC, he even sent a donation so that the PCTA could mark it better. Wonder what he will think of the CDT ?!?!? :eek:

warren doyle
10-30-2007, 20:29
I wish David Horton the best - what an inspiration to people over 55!

Yes, the not continuously-blazed CDT does pose 'record-claim' challenges that the AT/PCT/LT don't have.

However, knowing David with his organizational skills, honor and integrity, he will keep good records of what route he takes and will make them available to any future CDT 'record' attempts.

It was a fantastic summer for long distance trail endurance record hikes/runs - the LT unsupported record (both men & women) was set by a woman and the JMT supported record (both men & women) was set by a woman. What an exciting breakthrough!

Nightwalker
10-30-2007, 21:01
It was a fantastic summer for long distance trail endurance record hikes/runs - the LT unsupported record (both men & women) was set by a woman and the JMT supported record (both men & women) was set by a woman. What an exciting breakthrough!

Now THAT is cool!

Lone Wolf
10-30-2007, 21:35
yes, it really is.

Sly
10-30-2007, 22:09

Yes, the not continuously-blazed CDT does pose 'record-claim' challenges that the AT/PCT/LT don't have.

However, knowing David with his organizational skills, honor and integrity, he will keep good records of what route he takes and will make them available to any future CDT 'record' attempts.

I'm over 55, but I doubt I'll be attempting any records! :D

Well, first David has to do better than 75 days, since that time has been established. He's likely do that, unless he gets injured or bails.

So does David propose to follow Squeaky's route as close as possible?

He'll establish his own route? If he proposes to diagram his route, there may not be many, if any, that want to follow it. So, assuming David breaks it, how does the next guy break it? :-?

Also, as I mentioned earlier, the girl that set the unsupported LT record may need to put an asterisk next to it. Coup hiked the LT without any resupply, completely unsupported. He also hiked the CT in this fashion. It's similar to how they set records on the JMT.

Y'all need categories: :p

saimyoji
10-30-2007, 22:12
Yeah, other records just as cool were set this summer....like my rock jumping record-25 miles without touching the soil in PA!!

Skidsteer
10-30-2007, 22:47
Yeah, other records just as cool were set this summer....like my rock jumping record-25 miles without touching the soil in PA!!

End to end? Or did you section hop?

Sly
10-30-2007, 23:05
Section hop! :)

mrc237
10-31-2007, 05:50

Honor and Integrity INDEED!!!

Squeaky 2
11-04-2007, 06:04
thought i would throw my 2 cents in here!

my time was 75 days 20 hours but i did sleep just before the border. i got lost loads but never took cut offs and lost 2 days to post office hours and atleat 5 to navigation. so all in it could have been as low as 68 days. that said on the route i took my average daily milage was 40 miles. taking hitching and town stops out my average hiking day was alot higher

A-Train
11-04-2007, 21:13

Lots of other records. Francis Tapon was the first to yo-yo the CDT. Eric D set a new record for a PCT yo-yo and Tatue Joe set a new record for the PCT (i think 79 days?)

warren doyle
11-05-2007, 09:19
The PCT record (with support) is around 66 days set by David Horton at the age of 55 in 2005.

So is this 'Tatue Joe's record' of 79 days without support?

Sly
11-05-2007, 09:51
Lots of other records. Francis Tapon was the first to yo-yo the CDT.

According to most of the hikers I met on the trail this year that's highly debatable. I saw him but, most said he didn't sign many of the FS trail/wilderness registers. Plus, I don't think I ever heard he finished.

Sly
11-05-2007, 09:56
Something on another board about Francis.

From his email news updates rcvd on 10/21 about 11pm:

Francis Writes:

My CDT Yo-Yo will be successfully completed in 48 hours. I am in
Deming, New Mexico, and I expect to arrive at the Mexican border on the
morning of Wednesday, October 24th (near Columbus, NM). More details will
follow in a few days.

Don't forget to have a look at my website:
http://www.francistapon.com/cdt/

MOWGLI
11-05-2007, 10:02
According to most of the hikers I met on the trail this year that's highly debatable. I saw him but, most said he didn't sign many of the FS trail/wilderness registers.

Are you saying he's the Rosie Ruiz of the CDT? :rolleyes:

I've had folks PM me in the past to inform me that the purest of the purists (sorry - no names will be provided) has yellow blazed on numerous occasions, and provided details including dates of the alleged transgressions. :eek: My reaction? It's just a hike. I don't worry about what others do. I am not my brother's (or sister's) keeper.

IMO, in the end, it all means very little except to the individual. Unless we're talking about the AT. ;)

Sly
11-05-2007, 10:06
Are you saying he's the Rosie Ruiz of the CDT? :rolleyes:

No, but I think most of the thru-hikers I met on the CDT are. :D From his post in the other forum it appears Francis is going to claim the yo-yo. We'll just have to see his trip report. If you're going to announce and claim such goals the way Francis has, it should have some documentation.

MOWGLI
11-05-2007, 10:10
No, but I think most of the thru-hikers I met on the CDT are. :D

Sly, I heard that you were quoted on the CDT repeatedly shouting, "taxi!" at every road crossing. ;)

Sly
11-05-2007, 10:15
Sly, I heard that you were quoted on the CDT repeatedly shouting, "taxi!" at every road crossing. ;)

LOL... Probably. I was really dissapointed hitching into town on several occasions. After one 3.5 hour wait to get from Kalispel to E. Glacier, I rented a car. On another occasion, going into Lincoln, I started holding up money!

Mags
11-05-2007, 11:02
The PCT record (with support) is around 66 days set by David Horton at the age of 55 in 2005.

So is this 'Tatue Joe's record' of 79 days without support?

Yep. A "traditional" backpack record.

Mags
11-05-2007, 11:03
We'll just have to see his trip report. If you're going to announce and claim such goals the way Francis has, it should have some documentation.

In the end, it really won't matter except to gear sponsors. :D

Mags
11-05-2007, 11:06
Something on another board about Francis.

What board is that Sly?

Sly
11-05-2007, 11:07
What board is that Sly?

I Googled Fancis Tapon. I think it was backpackinglight.

Sly
11-05-2007, 11:11
In the end, it really won't matter except to gear sponsors. :D

Yeah. When I saw him he seemed cool and happy to be out there. To me that's all that matters. I'm not much into records.

warren doyle
11-05-2007, 13:49
Thanks for the clarification Mags.
I will add that to my long distance trail endurance records - both with support and without - file.

Tin Man
11-05-2007, 14:54
I am glad to hear there is an official record keeper. :rolleyes:

Squeaky 2
11-09-2007, 06:01
hello warren, just wanted to know if you could post the times for the JMT and LT unsupported records set this year.

nitewalker
11-09-2007, 08:07
i had my record hike last week . i did 32miles in 11 hours or so thru the shenandoahs on monday 10/29/07...puked my guts out later on that evening about 1.5 hrs after i was done. i was spent ...so,to go for a record is very demanding.. god bless those who try and good luck....improper nurishment for the day lead to my demise....oh well live and learn.....peace out, nitewalker

warren doyle
11-09-2007, 11:42
hello warren, just wanted to know if you could post the times for the JMT and LT unsupported records set this year.

Hello Matt,

Here is the info you requested:

Long Trail record (unsupported) - 7 days 15 hours 40 minutes
Jennifer Pharr early August 2007

Long Trail record (supported) - 4 days 13 hours 15 minutes
Ted Keizer (Cave Dog) 2004

John Muir Trail record (unsupported) 4 days 5 hours 25 minutes
Michael Popov early August 2007

JMT record (supported) 3 days 20 hours (Whitney Portal-Happy Isles)
3 days 15 hours 32 minutes (Mt. Whitney-Happy Isles)
Sue Johnston (www.runsuerun.blogspot.com (http://www.runsuerun.blogspot.com)) late August 2007

The Weasel
11-09-2007, 12:00
With trails changing lengths due to rerouting and other reasons, the concept of a "record" is a bit silly. The AT gets longer and shorter from year to year, and so do other trails.

TW

Lone Wolf
11-09-2007, 12:03
thru-hiking for a patch and certificate is silly too

warren doyle
11-09-2007, 12:16
With trails changing lengths due to rerouting and other reasons, the concept of a "record" is a bit silly. The AT gets longer and shorter from year to year, and so do other trails.

TW

Although it may seem silly to you, the important and more meaningful thing to me is that it is definitely not silly to the people who attempt to set these records.

I will continue to admire, respect and support this denomination of the larger long distance hiking 'religion'.

rafe
11-09-2007, 12:18
I will continue to admire, respect and support this denomination of the larger long distance hiking 'religion'.

How do you reconcile it with MacKaye's admonition against competition?

warren doyle
11-09-2007, 12:36

This doesn't bother me so I don't worry about it.
MacKaye was a thinker.
It was 'doers' with physical endurance (i.e. Avery) that created the actual trail.
I respect the thinkers and the doers.

I like people who compete within themselves and show us what the human body, mind and spirit is capable of. In addition, they are as close to being true amateur athletes as one can be. Almost all of the endurance long distance hikers I know of do these challenges as a labor of love and desire.

I'm sure Avery could identify with that motivation more than MacKaye would.

The Weasel
11-09-2007, 12:46
Although it may seem silly to you, the important and more meaningful thing to me is that it is definitely not silly to the people who attempt to set these records.

warren, you can't have 'records' for trail lengths that keep changing. that's the silly part. not the effort, but the concept. I suppose I could say that I was able to run the 100 meter sprint faster than anyone else, since I did it in 3 seconds. But it was only 5 meters. That's a bit of an exaggerated comarison, but it's nonetheless true.

TW

Lone Wolf
11-09-2007, 12:47

i'm sure Mack would disapprove of thru-hiking.

Mags
11-09-2007, 13:07
I am doing the Couch To Fridge Yo-Yo this year. Due to my preference for microbrews (and darker beer in general), I am afraid the extra weight will slow me down. Perhaps if I switched to a lighter beer like PBR? :-?

The Weasel
11-09-2007, 13:08
I am doing the Couch To Fridge Yo-Yo this year. Due to my preference for microbrews (and darker beer in general), I am afraid the extra weight will slow me down. Perhaps if I switched to a lighter beer like PBR? :-?

I already did it, and I hold the record. Fridge is next to the couch. Unbeatable.

TW

MOWGLI
11-09-2007, 13:27
John Muir Trail record (unsupported) 4 days 5 hours 25 minutes
Michael Popov early August 2007

That blows my mind. 55 miles per day, 4 days in a row. Wow.

Lone Wolf
11-09-2007, 13:31
45 miles per day average over 48 days on the AT is damn impressive too

Marta
11-09-2007, 13:31
Re: Mags' and Weasel's pathetic yo-yo claims:

I'm doing a much tougher hike--the office to fridge yo-yo, which is pretty much a corner-to-corner traverse of the house. What makes it tricky is that there are two alternate routes. I can go either through the living room (in which case I have to negotiate around the coffee table) and dining room, or I can go through the hall and family room (in which case I have to avoid tripping on the fireplace hearth). The family room route is easier but the living room route is more scenic. I'm a tough hiker. I can do it.

MOWGLI
11-09-2007, 13:35
45 miles per day average over 48 days on the AT is damn impressive too

Think Squeaky will be back for the sub-40 attempt?

Cookerhiker
11-09-2007, 13:45
That blows my mind. 55 miles per day, 4 days in a row. Wow.

Well at least in such a short time, he didn't have the extra weight of 8-10 days worth of food. He probably had room left over in his bear canister!

rafe
11-09-2007, 13:48
I like people who compete within themselves and show us what the human body, mind and spirit is capable of. In addition, they are as close to being true amateur athletes as one can be. Almost all of the endurance long distance hikers I know of do these challenges as a labor of love and desire.

If I'd never heard of any of them, I'd be happier. Seriously. But I guess that's just me.

Mags
11-09-2007, 14:01
I'm a tough hiker. I can do it.

Consdering the women who broke trail records this year... I think it is safe to say you will beat, nay grind to dust, the records Weasel and I set.

Lone Wolf
11-09-2007, 14:05
Think Squeaky will be back for the sub-40 attempt?

it would be great if he did. i wonder what the women' record is? Warren, you know?

The Weasel
11-09-2007, 14:07
Consdering the women who broked trail records this year... I think it is safe to say you will beat, nay grind to dust, the records Weasel and I set.

What good is a record if it gets ground to dust? I quit. This is no fun.

TW

Mags
11-09-2007, 14:10
What good is a record if it gets ground to dust? I quit. This is no fun.

TW

We'll just have to go hiking for the sake of hiking. ;)

MOWGLI
11-09-2007, 14:19

I'll race ya to the trailhead! :banana

Cookerhiker
11-09-2007, 14:22

What a concept!:)

Tin Man
11-09-2007, 14:24

Let me know when you all are going, so I can miss the fanfare. :)

taildragger
11-09-2007, 14:28
I already did it, and I hold the record. Fridge is next to the couch. Unbeatable.

TW

My house stays about the same temp as my beer should be. Distance from "fridge to couch" is a trick in my case, the couch is in the fridge. So, does that mean that I'm yellow blazing for my speed record? (Pink blazing if your reaching for a zema, blue if for a PBR)

Flush2wice
11-09-2007, 14:38
I met a guy back in '96 or '97 that did the fastest hike through the Smokies. From Davenport to Fontana in something like 16 hours. I can't remember the exact time but it was impressive. Anyone know if there's been a faster hike since then? Anyone know exactly what the time is?

The Weasel
11-09-2007, 16:35
I met a guy back in '96 or '97 that did the fastest hike through the Smokies. From Davenport to Fontana in something like 16 hours. I can't remember the exact time but it was impressive. Anyone know if there's been a faster hike since then? Anyone know exactly what the time is?

Yeah, right now its exactly 12:35 pm, but that's Pacific Time. Glad to help.

TW

The Weasel
11-09-2007, 16:36

I win. I got there in record time.

TW

Jack Tarlin
11-09-2007, 18:26
I've always found this talk of hiking speed "records" to be pretty amusing.

No organization keeps track of this sort of thing; there is no official group or organization that monitors or verifies these "records;" there is absolutely no way to tell if these "record" hikes have actually been made or completed; and several prominent hiking organizations such as the ATC have publicly stated, repeatedly, that they oppose competitive publicity seeking events such as speed "records" and feel that they degrade the Appalachian Trail.

In short, these "records" only exist in the eyes of those who attempt them, or those who for whatever reason, are easily impressed by them.

MOWGLI
11-09-2007, 18:30
Similarly, there is no way to tell if anyone has ever hiked the entire AT.

Who will be the first? :-?

Lone Wolf
11-09-2007, 19:54

No organization keeps track of this sort of thing; there is no official group or organization that monitors or verifies these "records;" there is absolutely no way to tell if these "record" hikes have actually been made or completed; and several prominent hiking organizations such as the ATC have publicly stated, repeatedly, that they oppose competitive publicity seeking events such as speed "records" and feel that they degrade the Appalachian Trail.

In short, these "records" only exist in the eyes of those who attempt them, or those who for whatever reason, are easily impressed by them.

well jack, some folks might find your 6 or so "pure" thru-hikes amusing

warren keeps unofficial track of trail records as do others. it's funny the ATC gives out a little certificate to anyone that says they hiked the whole trail. speed hikers have absolutely no negative impact on the AT. most never make it known unlike thru-hikers who are always getting interviewed by newspapers. doesn't really matter what the ATC thinks.

in short, there are trail records and a lot of people know about them and are highly interested

ed bell
11-09-2007, 20:23
Similarly, there is no way to tell if anyone has ever hiked the entire AT.

Who will be the first? :-?Let's see, we will need a potential thru-hiker, a potential thru-hiker who is a notary public, and a potential thru-hiker who will be a witness. These three will walk in single file formation for the ENTIRE AT. When they reach the end, we'll have the first three to walk the ENTIRE AT that can be OFFICIALLY verified. Sounds like a fun hike.:rolleyes:

rickb
11-09-2007, 20:31
One thing you can be sure of, though.

If an AT record holder hasn't carried a backpack on all his thrus, at least one person (OK, one person) will be waiting in the wings to point that out.

After all "recreation walkers" and hikers are not the same!

Squeaky 2
11-10-2007, 08:16
records are not offically recorded or addudicated. they are done on the honour system by the people that attempt them which says alot for their honesty and respect for other peoples achievements.

i have never understood the point of view that the trails are only open to people that hike at a slow pace and that speed hikers are not welcome. alot of people find recreation in pushing their physical and mental limits.

i cant get my head round people that spend 7 months on 1 trail, but i would never dream of telling them to take their hike elsewhere and stop spoiling the ideals of the AT.

and if the ATC are so self righteous and refuse to aknowledge records then why do they hand out 2,000 miler certifcates to only the people that hike the entire trail. why not people that hike some of the sections. surely this is an example of the elitism that they accuse speed hikers and record holders of trying to attain.

mrc237
11-10-2007, 08:43
Heres the difference with me I"m a slow fat bastid when it comes to hiking and I'm extremely jealous when a speed hiker passes me. As far as the ATC they can keep their certificates. Pretty soon we'll be wearing bar codes to electronically record our "thru hikes" what BS!

Flush2wice
11-10-2007, 09:10

The ATC does keep records. They just chose not to keep "fastest hike" records. They maintain records on oldest thru hikers, youngest thru hikers, youngest female, oldest section hiker.....etc. Just because the ATC doesn't sanction speed hikes doesn't mean there's anything "wrong" with them. Personally I find speed hikes interesting and I'm glad someone keeps track of them.

MOWGLI
11-10-2007, 09:24
Hiking is an INDIVIDUAL endeavor. It is practiced countless different ways by it's millions of practitioners. Some like Jack choose to re-hike the same trail over & over again. That's awesome. Others seek out the longest trails and try and conquer as many of them as they can. Fantastic. Others like Andy Skurka try to create new challenges by cobbling together new routes. Amazing! Still others try and hike some our our most well know trails in record time. Wow! Some make their own gear. Some carry hi tech gear. Some are ultralite. Some carry 70 pounds or more. Some are fat. Some are skinny. And on & on.

All of these things mean the most to the individuals who set to hike trails in their desired mode.

There are many different ways to experience trails. On the Colorado Trail I ran into peak baggers, trail runners, mountain bikers, backpackers, day hikers, fisherman, people on mules, people on horses, people with llamas carrying all there stuff. And you know what? Without exception, we exchanged pleasantries.

The only hikers I take exception to are the ones that cut switchbacks, or do things to ruin the experience for those that follow in their footsteps. Beyond that, there is room for people of different interests and capabilities to coexist in the outdoor arena. I hope so anyway.

nitewalker
11-10-2007, 09:35
Let's see, we will need a potential thru-hiker, a potential thru-hiker who is a notary public, and a potential thru-hiker who will be a witness. These three will walk in single file formation for the ENTIRE AT. When they reach the end, we'll have the first three to walk the ENTIRE AT that can be OFFICIALLY verified. Sounds like a fun hike.:rolleyes:

you forgot the potential thruhiker that is a defense lawyer:eek: . he will need to argue with the potential thruhiker prosecuter about where, when and how he actually completed the trail......:D peace out, nitewalker

cowboy nichols
11-10-2007, 09:37
Amen!!Big-Little-Tall -Short-Male- Female_old- Young have a great hike .

warren doyle
11-11-2007, 19:05
When I think of long distance trail endurance record holders/attempters, the words respect and admiration come to my mind. I also have found them to be more open-minded about the many ways one can hike a trail than those who criticize them out of amused envy (post #69).

I tip my hiking hat to the 'lions' and 'lionesses', both young, middle-aged and 55 y.o and older.

mudhead
11-11-2007, 19:11
Parents drop you on your head? Why can't you play nice?

Lone Wolf
11-11-2007, 19:15
Parents drop you on your head? Why can't you play nice?

what exactly is not nice about his post?

Just a Hiker
11-11-2007, 19:20

Will this be a supported attempt or are you opening the cans yourself? :banana

ed bell
11-11-2007, 19:33
When I think of long distance trail endurance record holders/attempters, the words respect and admiration come to my mind. I also have found them to be more open-minded about the many ways one can hike a trail than those who criticize them out of amused envy (post #69).

I tip my hiking hat to the 'lions' and 'lionesses', both young, middle-aged and 55 y.o and older.............and the beat goes on...................... While I respect and admire those who push their abilities to the limits of long term endurance; why engage the same dead-end, derisive, trolling that is becoming a distraction to the achievements you are trying to call attention to? Calling out post #69 was pure and simple trolling. Same applies to Mr. Tarlin: Why re-hash your view of "records" regarding speed backpacking/hiking when Mr. Doyle is involved? Sorry to point this out, but I thought things were improving. I guess some things can't change.

mudhead
11-11-2007, 19:34
what exactly is not nice about his post?

Reread it for poo stirring re post #69. The two of them need to walk together and see if they can't say something nice to each other.

Sorry to be cranky, but my longjohns are tight.

Lone Wolf
11-11-2007, 19:36
Reread it for poo stirring re post #69. The two of them need to walk together and see if they can't say something nice to each other.

Sorry to be cranky, but my longjohns are tight.

they both have strong opinions. no biggie. one dislikes one more than the other. guess which one

ed bell
11-11-2007, 19:44
they both have strong opinions. no biggie. one dislikes one more than the other. guess which oneWell, I just got bent out of shape over it for no reason.:) Good thing is that I finally donated to the website because of it.:sun

warren doyle
11-11-2007, 19:48
If a qualitative reasearch study by either sociologists or psychologists was done surveying all threads/posts relative to your question LW, the answer is definitely a no-brainer.

ed bell
11-11-2007, 20:11
If it's a no-brainer, what do we need the sociologists or psychologists for?:D......and the beat goes on................:rolleyes:

Tin Man
11-11-2007, 20:21
If it's a no-brainer, what do we need the sociologists or psychologists for?:D......and the beat goes on................:rolleyes:

Sounds like a record in the making...:-?

ed bell
11-11-2007, 20:33
Sounds like a record in the making...:-?I now realize that, and I'll put my drum back in the attic where it belongs.;)Learn something new everyday.:sun

Mags
11-11-2007, 23:40
Will this be a supported attempt or are you opening the cans yourself? :banana

Supported. The pizza is being delivered. :-)

Alligator
11-12-2007, 00:49
Supported. The pizza is being delivered. :-)What happens when you yellow-blaze to the bathroom? Do you go back to the couch first?

Mags
11-12-2007, 09:46
What happens when you yellow-blaze to the bathroom? Do you go back to the couch first?

That's like a town stop. I have to go back to the couch at the EXACT place wherre I left it in the first place.

Tin Man
11-12-2007, 09:53
What do you do in the case of a relocation?

Mags
11-12-2007, 10:53
What do you do in the case of a relocation?

I wonder who the heck moved the couch while I was gone... ;)

However, to truly complete the CTF Yo-Yo, I must go to where the couch was replaced at the time of my bathroom break. The moved couch is where the official CTF trail is now.

If there is an emergency (perhaps the couch being removed due to being reupholstered), then a viable alternative is allowed (using a loveseat or even a Lazy Boy).

I am quite serious about my CTF yo-yo attempt and plan on being as true to the thru as I can.

Jack Tarlin
11-12-2007, 16:58
Note to Mr. Bell:

This thread is about speed records......why is it so wrong for me or anyone else to give their opinion of them? All I said was that nobody in any official capacity keeps these records, and that many hiking groups and organizations, including the ATC, are opposed to this sort of activity. And this is perfectly true.

Note to Mr. Doyle: I am neither amused overmuch by speed hikers, nor am I envious of them. What a foolish thing for you to say! Some of us actually look forward to carrying a backpack every day, and spending six months on the Trail, with no thought of speed, mileage attained, or competing with other hikers. Some of us actually enjoy being out there as long as possible, and not for as short a period as possible.

Perhaps if Mr. Doyle hadn't spent so many years marching from road crossing to road crossing, dependent on a car and driver, he'd feel differently. But in any case, his remark that I was somehow envious of speed hikers is more than a little bit ridiculous.

He doesn't really know me that well.

MOWGLI
11-12-2007, 17:14
All I said was that nobody in any official capacity keeps these records, and that many hiking groups and organizations, including the ATC, are opposed to this sort of activity. And this is perfectly true.

Jack:

Can you show where ATC says they are opposed to "this sort of activity"?

Their current FAQ page says;

How does ATC define thru-hiking?

We don't. ATC uses the term "2,000-miler" as a matter of tradition and convenience. ATC defines a "2,000-miler" as anyone who has hiked the entire Trail between Springer Mountain in Georgia and Katahdin in Maine. We don't consider issues such as the sequence, direction, speed or whether one carries a pack. We do expect that persons applying for inclusion in our 2,000-miler records have made an honest effort to walk the entire Trail.

Thanks. And happy birthday.

Jack Tarlin
11-12-2007, 17:19
Can't do it right now. Mowgli, bit I've done it before.

In every, and I mean EVERY ATC Guidebook that's been printed for decades, it says quite plainly that the ATC is opposed to publicized competitive activities of any sort on the Appalachian Trail, as they are considered a degradation of the Trail and what it stands for. Will happily provide the quote in full tomorrow when I have a Guidebook handy.

But a speed "record" attempt on the Trail, which is by nature a competitive event, and which is always publicized by the participants or backers, is a perfect example of what the ATC is talking about.....and what it has for many years spoken against.

Mags
11-12-2007, 17:36
Hey guys...

Since some of you are now discussing the ATC and their view of records, perhaps it is time to start a different thread? I am not sure of what the ATC thinks of records on the CDT....but I don't think it is one of their priorities. ;)

Now, about my CTF yo-yo... :sun

Lone Wolf
11-12-2007, 17:38
But a speed "record" attempt on the Trail, which is by nature a competitive event, and which is always publicized by the participants or backers, is a perfect example of what the ATC is talking about.....and what it has for many years spoken against.

no it's not. it's man against trail. competing with himself. and not ALWAYS publicized. anyway the ATC really could care less about 1 guy going fast on the trail

Tin Man
11-12-2007, 17:47
no it's not. it's man against trail. competing with himself. and not ALWAYS publicized. anyway the ATC really could care less about 1 guy going fast on the trail

Maybe so, but I would think the ATC would not want to encourage it either. Who wants the AT to become a race track?

Lone Wolf
11-12-2007, 17:51
Maybe so, but I would think the ATC would not want to encourage it either. Who wants the AT to become a race track?

1 hiker every few years or so attempts a record. thousands attempt a thru-hike every year. the AT is a race track. who do you think does more damage? a lone speed hiker has absolutely no impact on the trail

Tin Man
11-12-2007, 17:57
1 hiker every few years or so attempts a record. thousands attempt a thru-hike every year. the AT is a race track. who do you think does more damage? a lone speed hiker has absolutely no impact on the trail

I agree the lone speed hiker is not an issue and I think it is kind of cool. All I am saying is that I don't think the AT benefits if every year there are 50-100 or so people trying to set a speed record with all the resulting news coverage/fanfare that could result. This could happen if it was promoted as some kind of top athletic feat that attracted a lot of ultra-marathoners and promotional firms.

MOWGLI
11-12-2007, 18:00
Can't do it right now. Mowgli, bit I've done it before.

In every, and I mean EVERY ATC Guidebook that's been printed for decades, it says quite plainly that the ATC is opposed to publicized competitive activities of any sort on the Appalachian Trail, as they are considered a degradation of the Trail and what it stands for. Will happily provide the quote in full tomorrow when I have a Guidebook handy.

Here's my take. I think ATC is more concerned about trail runs like the Leadville 100 occurring on the AT. I could be wrong. Another trail in the SE is currently grappling with this issue as an organization is petitioning the Forest Service to allow a competitive trail run on their trail. The trail club is concerned about this. I don't presume to understand all the reasons why.

Other trails, like the Cumberland Trail permit competitive trail runs, like the Stump Jump 50K. The last stump jump raised something like 6K for the Cumberland Trail Conference.

I draw a distinction between individuals and 25-100 runners running in a race. Maybe ATC does. Maybe they don't.

Lone Wolf
11-12-2007, 18:28
All I am saying is that I don't think the AT benefits if every year there are 50-100 or so people trying to set a speed record with all the resulting news coverage/fanfare that could result. This could happen if it was promoted as some kind of top athletic feat that attracted a lot of ultra-marathoners and promotional firms.

this will NEVER happen. ATC should be discouraging thru-hiking and stunt hikes like blind people doing it with all the media attention

Lone Wolf
11-12-2007, 18:39
Jack:

Can you show where ATC says they are opposed to "this sort of activity"?

Their current FAQ page says;

How does ATC define thru-hiking?

We don't. ATC uses the term "2,000-miler" as a matter of tradition and convenience. ATC defines a "2,000-miler" as anyone who has hiked the entire Trail between Springer Mountain in Georgia and Katahdin in Maine. We don't consider issues such as the sequence, direction, speed or whether one carries a pack. We do expect that persons applying for inclusion in our 2,000-miler records have made an honest effort to walk the entire Trail.

Thanks. And happy birthday.

For instance in the Mass.-Conn. guide under general info there's a section on Group Hikes and Special Events that says " special events, group hikes, or other group activities that could degrade the ATs natural or cultural resources or social values should be avoided. examples of such activities include publicized spectator events, commercial or competitive activities, or programs involving large groups."

Tin Man
11-12-2007, 18:59
this will NEVER happen. ATC should be discouraging thru-hiking and stunt hikes like blind people doing it with all the media attention

I only said it COULD happen. If some group decided they could make money on it, they might decide to make it happen. The ATC is doing a good job of playing down any kind of event hiking and I would not be opposed to dropping the 2000 mile patch. The media's attention to a race of 50+ ultra-marathoners with a bunch of sponsors lined up at the road crossings would be very different than anything we have seen before. And I don't think it would be "good" different. Individual hikes for different causes obviously have not drawn that kind of attention and I applaud those with disabilities showing what can be achieved.

Tin Man
11-12-2007, 19:00
For instance in the Mass.-Conn. guide under general info there's a section on Group Hikes and Special Events that says " special events, group hikes, or other group activities that could degrade the ATs natural or cultural resources or social values should be avoided. examples of such activities include publicized spectator events, commercial or competitive activities, or programs involving large groups."

Does the ATC describe the AT social values anywhere?

MOWGLI
11-12-2007, 19:02

That's kinda what I was trying to say in post #105. There is a big difference between individual attempts and organized competitive events for groups.

rickb
11-12-2007, 19:55
In every, and I mean EVERY ATC Guidebook that's been printed for decades, it says quite plainly that the ATC is opposed to publicized XXXXXXXXX activities of any sort on the Appalachian Trail, as they are considered a degradation of the Trail and what it stands for. I think Jack is right on this.

I redacted the word "competitive" from his quote, though. I think many at the ATC also feel the same way about many of the Trail beer parties and planned weenie roasts. If you remove that one adjective to make his statement more encompassing, I think Jack is spot on.

Lone Wolf
11-12-2007, 20:00
That's kinda what I was trying to say in post #105. There is a big difference between individual attempts and organized competitive events for groups.

exactly. individuals hurt absolutely nothing. boy scout groups, hoods-in-the-woods groups, college orientation groups, etc. go against ATC wishes

Lone Wolf
11-12-2007, 20:06
" special events, group hikes, or other group activities that could degrade the ATs natural or cultural resources or social values should be avoided. examples of such activities include publicized spectator events, commercial or competitive activities, or programs involving large groups."

doesn't pertain to a solo speed hiker but it looks like hiker feeds and "trail magic" go against the ATC

ed bell
11-12-2007, 20:13
Note to Mr. Tarlin:
It's not wrong for you to give your opinion on speed records. I did not intend to imply that. I said a few posts later that I got bent out of shape for no reason. I just felt that your delivery was "amusing" because it seemed to be directed towards certain posts more than the thread topic itself. That is my mistake. I need to filter my responses better and stop trying to interpret a person's intent. Sorry to ruffle any feathers and happy birthday.:)

rafe
11-12-2007, 20:51
exactly. individuals hurt absolutely nothing. boy scout groups, hoods-in-the-woods groups, college orientation groups, etc. go against ATC wishes

Each year Princeton College sends hundreds of freshman onto the AT for "freshman orienteering." If you've section hiked in late August you've probably run into one of these groups.

The group I met this year in SNP was doing trail maintentance as well. I can't imagine that Princeton would send so many people out there, year after year, without having cleared it with ATC at some point.

MOWGLI
11-12-2007, 20:51
boy scout groups, hoods-in-the-woods groups, college orientation groups, etc. go against ATC wishes

I don't agree with that. As long as the suggested group size is adhered to, and they use LNT and don't take over shelters, those groups are welcome.

Lone Wolf
11-12-2007, 20:59
doesn't really matter what the ATC wants, go to Georgia mid March- mid April and the whole "group" thing means nothing.

fonsie
11-12-2007, 21:25
Well I think anyone that trys for a record and gets support in my opinion are'nt backpackers. They are just panzies that dont carry there own gear and have others carry there gear. I personaly love the views out there in the mountains. Thats why I go out on the trail to enjoy myself.

Lone Wolf
11-12-2007, 21:31
Well I think anyone that trys for a record and gets support in my opinion are'nt backpackers. They are just panzies that dont carry there own gear and have others carry there gear. I personaly love the views out there in the mountains. Thats why I go out on the trail to enjoy myself.

well there you have it! :D

Tipi Walter
11-12-2007, 21:44
records are not offically recorded or addudicated. they are done on the honour system by the people that attempt them which says alot for their honesty and respect for other peoples achievements.

i have never understood the point of view that the trails are only open to people that hike at a slow pace and that speed hikers are not welcome. alot of people find recreation in pushing their physical and mental limits.

i cant get my head round people that spend 7 months on 1 trail, but i would never dream of telling them to take their hike elsewhere and stop spoiling the ideals of the AT.

and if the ATC are so self righteous and refuse to aknowledge records then why do they hand out 2,000 miler certifcates to only the people that hike the entire trail. why not people that hike some of the sections. surely this is an example of the elitism that they accuse speed hikers and record holders of trying to attain.

I know there is a whole nexus of athleticism on long trails, but if these speed demons want to push their physical and mental limits, why not see how fast they can complete a trail wearing a 70 pound backpack? Run along a trail with one of those babies on your back and I'll be dazzled. Remember? It's about pushing their limits, right? I'm no expert in this, but do these guys actually carry their own gear and sleep out every night?

Lone Wolf
11-12-2007, 21:51
I know there is a whole nexus of athleticism on long trails, but if these speed demons want to push their physical and mental limits, why not see how fast they can complete a trail wearing a 70 pound backpack? Run along a trail with one of those babies on your back and I'll be dazzled. Remember? It's about pushing their limits, right? I'm no expert in this, but do these guys actually carry their own gear and sleep out every night?

try doing 45 miles for one day on the AT. then get up at 4 am next day and do it again. and again for 46 more days

Tipi Walter
11-12-2007, 21:55
try doing 45 miles for one day on the AT. then get up at 4 am next day and do it again. and again for 46 more days

Yeah, I know, it's gotta be rough, and I suppose the challenge is the reward, it's probably that and the desire to make a name for themselves.

Lone Wolf
11-12-2007, 22:00
and the desire to make a name for themselves.

the furthest thing from the truth. you have no clue

Sly
11-12-2007, 22:05
.... it's probably that and the desire to make a name for themselves.

the furthest thing from the truth. you have no clue

It may not be true for all, especially for someone like Traildog, but David has written a book about his exploits.

Lone Wolf
11-12-2007, 22:09
It may not be true for all, especially for someone like Traildog, but David has written a book about his exploits.

good book too. a lot more interesting than the typical thru-hiker journal/books out there. horton and bryson rule. :)

Tipi Walter
11-12-2007, 22:21
On the other hand, there is www.tannercritz.com/pct2000/ (http://www.tannercritz.com/pct2000/)

This group, known as the Menacing Vegetables, do not set any records except for possibly going TOO SLOWLY, they loaf and sometimes attempt to slow down other hikers, hence their Menacing aspect. Though not up to HAEadventure standards(Half-A**** Expeditions), the Menacing Vegetables can be a refreshing anditote to the fast moving speedsters.

Skidsteer
11-12-2007, 22:24

Umm. Squeaky's probably the guy for the job.

He might have to throw a few bricks in the pack to make the 70 lbs., though.

Sly
11-12-2007, 22:35
On the other hand, there is www.tannercritz.com/pct2000/ (http://www.tannercritz.com/pct2000/)

This group, known as the Menacing Vegetables, do not set any records except for possibly going TOO SLOWLY, they loaf and sometimes attempt to slow down other hikers, hence their Menacing aspect. Though not up to HAEadventure standards(Half-A**** Expeditions), the Menacing Vegetables can be a refreshing anditote to the fast moving speedsters.

I met the Menacing Vegetables in Stehekin, WA. One reason they took so long is they baged a lot of peaks and hit lots of hot springs. Something speed hikers definitely miss.

samh
11-13-2007, 00:51
Wow, this sure is a great thread about the CDT.

ed bell
11-13-2007, 01:02
Other than the non-CDT posts, its got some good content.:sunYou have never experienced thread drift.:-?

rafe
11-13-2007, 01:13

No thank you! :D

Mags
11-13-2007, 09:37
Wow, this sure is a great thread about the CDT.

YEah..that's what I was thinking. :-?

Mags
11-13-2007, 09:38
Other than the non-CDT posts, its got some good content.:sunYou have never experienced thread drift.:-?

There is thread drift..then there's this.. :D

Sly
11-13-2007, 09:47
There is thread drift..then there's this.. :D

Yeah, and it's not like the "sub topic" hasn't been discussed ad nauseum. I should probably get the delete trigger finger out but then I'd have to subject myself to all the whining.. :(

Mags
11-13-2007, 09:54
Yeah, and it's not like the "sub topic" hasn't been discussed ad nauseum. I should probably get the delete trigger finger out but then I'd have to subject myself to all the whining.. :(

HEy folks..makes Sly's life easier as a moderator. Let's get back to discussing the CONTINENTAL DIVIDE trail :sun

warren doyle
11-13-2007, 09:58
Just saw The Runner for the second time - a video documenary of David Horton's PCT endurance record (supported) of 66+ days. Well-done, informative and inspirational. David has had a positive influence on many people. I admire him for that.
As one who has set long distance trail endurance records (both supported and unsupported), I wish him the best on the CDT!

Sly
11-13-2007, 10:04
Since the CDT isn't complete officially or unofficially and it's actually a mixture of routes, perhaps David would be better off running/setting a record on the already established Great Divide Mountain Bike Route.

http://www.adv-cycling.org/routes/greatdivide.cfm

It's something I'm considering, but on a bike.

warren doyle
11-13-2007, 10:10
it would be great if he did. i wonder what the women' record is? Warren, you know?

I will go on record for the third straight year that the sub-40 day AT record, either with support or no support, is an unrealistic goal for Squeaky to set.

There hasn't been an attempt at a women's endurance record on the AT, which may change this upcoming hiking season. Right now, I would have to say the shortest female thru-hike was Jenny Jardine's 1993 thru-hike with her husband Ray (2 months 28 days).

Mags
11-13-2007, 10:19
Since the CDT isn't complete officially or unofficially and it's actually a mixture of routes, perhaps David would be better off running/setting a record on the already established Great Divide Mountain Bike Route.

http://www.adv-cycling.org/routes/greatdivide.cfm

It's something I'm considering, but on a bike.

A set and established route (with established records no less!) would be best for a trail running RECORD attempt.

A corridor that is not even complete would make less sense for a RECORD, but would indeed be one hell of a trail run.

A-Train
11-13-2007, 13:59
HEy folks..makes Sly's life easier as a moderator. Let's get back to discussing the CONTINENTAL DIVIDE trail :sun

Mags that's a tall order when only two people here (I think) have hiked it on this thread. The rest are wanna-be's!

MOWGLI
11-13-2007, 14:02
Mags that's a tall order when only two people here (I think) have hiked it on this thread. The rest are wanna-be's!

I guess having hiked only 60 miles of the CDT doesn't qualify me as having "hiked it." :)

A-Train
11-13-2007, 14:05
I guess having hiked only 60 miles of the CDT doesn't qualify me as having "hiked it." :)

60 more than I've walked-but hopefully that'll change in a yr or two.

MOWGLI
11-13-2007, 14:06
60 more than I've walked-but hopefully that'll change in a yr or two.

Going for the crown, or just hiking the Colorado Trail? My miles were on the CT where it is concurrent with the CDT.

Marta
11-13-2007, 14:11
I've THOUGHT about hiking the CDT. A lot. ;-)

MOWGLI
11-13-2007, 14:15
I've THOUGHT about hiking the CDT. A lot. ;-)

Marta, checkout Mag's little ditty about the Colorado Trail on his website. That will whet your appetite. Sometimes a 480 mile trail is easier to tackle than a 2800 mile trail, if ya know what I mean. It's not all concurrent with the CDT, but something over 100 miles is.

Mags
11-13-2007, 15:44

Hey...90% of this website is about the AT. How many people have hiked it on among the posters on WB? I prefer "dreamers" or "gonna-bes" to "wanna-bes" :sun (Though there are definiely "wanna-bes" on all forums..be it hiking, kayaking or underwater basket weaving..)

Besides, this is a CDT forum. Discussing the ATC at length is probably a bit OT. :D

Mags
11-13-2007, 15:46
Marta, checkout Mag's little ditty about the Colorado Trail on his website. That will whet your appetite. Sometimes a 480 mile trail is easier to tackle than a 2800 mile trail, if ya know what I mean. It's not all concurrent with the CDT, but something over 100 miles is.

Thanks for the shout out. :)

~200 miles of the CT and CDT share the same tread.

The CT was my consolation prize for not being able to do the CDT in 2004. You know what? It is a wonderful way to see CO and is a prize in its own right!

Great trails in different ways. (CDT and CT).

Marta
11-13-2007, 15:50

The Colorado Trail is probably next on The List, after next year's hike in northern Europe. Probably '09. Until I retire (which isn't all that far off), I'll probably hike for about a month a year.

My husband is on board a plan where I'll hike the CDT and he'll do vehicle support, living in a van (down by the river:D ), bringing his bike and his easel with him. That's probably 7 or eight years into the future, though.

Mags
11-13-2007, 16:00
just hiking the Colorado Trail?

BTW..it is never "just hiking the Colorado Trail" or "just hiking the JMT" or "just section hiking".

Any time out there is gravy and simply awesome!

(I know you did not mean it that way, but always a good point reinforce. :sun)

Squeaky 2
11-13-2007, 17:09

well to be honest alot of my training for the sub40 was done with a 65lb pack and yes i did run along trails with it. i would fast walk all the flats and down hills and run all the up hills.

my job before hand envolved carrying brick hods all day. solid engineering bricks in a hod would wiegh over 110lbs. i have even jogged with these

Just a Hiker
11-13-2007, 17:17
well to be honest alot of my training for the sub40 was done with a 65lb pack and yes i did run along trails with it. i would fast walk all the flats and down hills and run all the up hills.

my job before hand envolved carrying brick hods all day. solid engineering bricks in a hod would wiegh over 110lbs. i have even jogged with these

Will you try the "Sub40" again Squeaky?

Squeaky 2
11-13-2007, 17:21
[quote=warren doyle;447951]I will go on record for the third straight year that the sub-40 day AT record, either with support or no support, is an unrealistic goal for Squeaky to set.

well what a suprise warren. remember the day your were out breaking trail in the winter of 05 with your AT group 2 days before we met. knee deep snow all day ice and freezing conditions with winter gear and packs, trees across the trail and short winter days. how far did you hike that day? i did over 40 miles that day. and the day we met conditions were just as tough but i put in over 45 miles that day going south from erwin. i had numerous tougher days and went even further all unsupported. i looked at andrew thompsons average mph on his record hike and i was going faster in these winter conditions.

i am not by any means bigging myself up but please believe me when i say i can average the daily mileage required for a sub40 in summer conditions

Squeaky 2
11-13-2007, 17:28
Will you try the "Sub40" again Squeaky?

to be honest i cant say. i would love to but financially it will be hard. i have a mortgage and a baby on the way. i do miss the challenges on the trail and my foot is still not right. it would take atleast 1,000 trail miles to get myself into shape again to even begin training. i had 8,000+ miles fresh in my legs for the sub40 and that was priceless

Lone Wolf
11-13-2007, 22:13
what about the bacterial flagellar motor

woodsy
11-14-2007, 08:23
Nimblewill Nomad (http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/)completed the CDT about 1 month ago just prior to his 69th birthday, maybe a record for the oldest to complete it? Was also the first to complete the IAT. This guy also has some serious and impressive hiking miles under his belt.

LostInSpace
11-14-2007, 22:48
what about the bacterial flagellar motor

Wasn't that the rebuttal offered up to substantiate the "Intelligent Design" theory?

Sly
11-14-2007, 23:19
Nimblewill Nomad (http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/)completed the CDT about 1 month ago just prior to his 69th birthday, maybe a record for the oldest to complete it? Was also the first to complete the IAT. This guy also has some serious and impressive hiking miles under his belt.

Nope and nope. I hiked with Pappy on the CDT in '02 and he was in his early 70's, which I'm not sure if it's a record or not. John Brinda was the first to hike the so-called ECT in '97