PDA

View Full Version : What do you carry on dayhikes?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-30-2007, 11:33
I was reading a thread about a dayhiker who had to be rescued (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29097)in the Whites. He was wearing a T-shirt and shorts and carried no extra food, water or any sort of shelter. This made me think that since this site is often read by those who are new to hiking, it might be a good idea to list what we carry on dayhikes.

The Dinos carry:

Multitool - knife, small LED lite, tweezers, scissors, a punch for emergency pack strap repair, a needle with nylon braided thread
two ponchos - in addition to being our raingear, they can be an emergency shelter.
a small spool (200') of polyester kite twine - mainly for tarp rigging, but strong enough when multiple strands are used to hold a rotund dino's weight. Can be used for splinting as well
a pair of DWR (water-resistant) nylon windsuits. These are very light and compressible. They can replace wet clothing and be layered over other clothing for warmth. Once, we stuffed the suits with dry leaves and pine needles to avoid hypothermia - we had started out in shorts and T-shirts on a sunny day in the mid-70s - the wind picked up to a steady 20 miles an hour and the temp dropped about 30* in about an hour, . While a windsuit stuffed with duff isn't the most comfortable item you will ever wear, it is surprisingly warm.
Small first aid kit - tiny tube of sun screen w/ DEET, single use neosporin packet, tiny tube of vasoline (chapstick, skin protectant & can be used to start a fire), 2 3/4" bandaids (fabric kind), one 3" square of gauze, duct tape.
A small roll of toilet paper - field stripped
extra gorp and a lightweight dried food that can be prepared in a freezer bag with cold water (usually dried hummus or dried bean mixture)
a small eyedrop bottle filled with bleach (emergency water purification)
two emergency 'space' blankets (not comfortable, but will keep you from freezing to death) Can be used as ground cloth.
two fleece beanies - covering your head is first thing to try when you start getting cold
more clothing for warmth depending on season / area
a large-marble-sized ball of dryer lint and candle wax (homemade firestarter), two waterproof strike anywhere fireplace matches & a small lighter.

Appalachian Tater
10-30-2007, 11:38
I was reading a thread about a dayhiker who had to be rescued (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29097)in the Whites. He was wearing a T-shirt and shorts and carried no extra food, water or any sort of shelter. This made me think that since this site is often read by those who are new to hiking, it might be a good idea to list what we carry on dayhikes.

The Dinos carry:
Multitool - knife, small LED lite, tweezers, scissors, a punch for emergency pack strap repair, a needle with nylon braided thread
two ponchos - in addition to being our raingear, they can be an emergency shelter.
a small spool (200') of polyester kite twine - mainly for tarp rigging, but strong enough when multiple strands are used to hold a rotund dino's weight. Can be used for splinting as well
a pair of DWR (water-resistant) nylon windsuits. These are very light and compressible. They can replace wet clothing and be layered over other clothing for warmth. Once, we stuffed the suits with dry leaves and pine needles to avoid hypothermia - we had started out in shorts and T-shirts on a sunny day in the mid-70s - the wind picked up to a steady 20 miles an hour and the temp dropped about 30* in about an hour, . While a windsuit stuffed with duff isn't the most comfortable item you will ever wear, it is surprisingly warm.
Small first aid kit - tiny tube of sun screen w/ DEET, single use neosporin packet, tiny tube of vasoline (chapstick, skin protectant & can be used to start a fire), 2 3/4" bandaids (fabric kind), one 3" square of gauze, duct tape.
A small roll of toilet paper - field stripped
extra gorp and a lightweight dried food that can be prepared in a freezer bag with cold water (usually dried hummus or dried bean mixture)
a small eyedrop bottle filled with bleach (emergency water purification)
two emergency 'space' blankets (not comfortable, but will keep you from freezing to death) Can be used as ground cloth.
two fleece beanies - covering your head is first thing to try when you start getting cold
more clothing for warmth depending on season / area
a large-marble-sized ball of dryer lint and candle wax (homemade firestarter), two waterproof strike anywhere fireplace matches & a small lighter.

I would consider carrying a small packet of alcohol gel instead of the antibiotic ointment and the dryer lint. You could use it to clean a wound and start a fire. You can wait until you get home from a day hike to apply antibiotic ointment.

taildragger
10-30-2007, 11:39
Waterproof matches
poncho
para-cord
dri-clime jacket
knife/multi-tool
headlamp
Vittles
beer :banana

I figure that will get me through most situations

dessertrat
10-30-2007, 11:43
I almost never carry rainpants, but a raincoat or windbreaker and some long pants are a good idea anywhere, or at least an emergency poncho (very light) and some long pants and a long sleeved shirt. They don't have to be heavy, just something more than bare skin. A knit or fleece hat is probably the most important piece of clothing you can carry, also.

Also, a water bottle, a first aid kit, some matches or a lighter, a knife, and an LED light are musts. These are in case you get stuck overnight somewhere, you can at least light a fire for signalling and/or warmth. A little bit of extra food, even if only a candy bar or two, are a good idea.

AND A CELL PHONE! I know some people will argue, but if you really need it, you should have it. The people without enough sense to leave it off unless it is a real emergency will not listen to anyone else's advice anyway.

All of this can fit in a small backpack. Sorry to those who insist on just a fanny pack.

Wonder
10-30-2007, 11:44
Jacket
Water tablets
emergency blanket
knife
headlamp
energy bars

Seeker
10-30-2007, 11:47
depending on where i'm going, and how many people i expect will also be around, i might bring:

-my daypack
-a military poncho and a few feet of para cord
-the repair/first aid kit, lighter, toilet paper, swiss army knife, moquito repellent, and aqua-mira water purifying drops from my regular pack
-one extra meal

Creek Dancer
10-30-2007, 11:48
In addition to some of these items, I always carry a whistle, a map and compass.

saimyoji
10-30-2007, 11:50
SAK
1st aid: blister, pain, bleeding
emergency poncho
warm Jacket (depends on temps)
zip off legs to my shorts
water treatment
cell phone
map/compass/whistle
stove/pot for coffee/tea/cocoa (I like to enjoy my hike :) )
camera
***Emergency survival cards (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=25059&memberId=12500226)*** These go with me everywhere. You never know.

food/water for an overnight

Many times I'll be doing shakedowns, so I'll just carry everything minus food/water.

ChinMusic
10-30-2007, 11:52
To me it depends totally on the location and distance.

I'll carry many of the items listed above on some hikes. On others I will basically just have food, water, and car keys.

Lone Wolf
10-30-2007, 11:53
beer and beef jerky

warraghiyagey
10-30-2007, 11:55
beer and beef jerky

Beer in camel pack? Or do you have one of those cool beer can/hats.:)

Lone Wolf
10-30-2007, 11:57
Beer in camel pack? Or do you have one of those cool beer can/hats.:)

cans of Busch beer in my day pack. i don't use one of them weenie camelback thingys

warraghiyagey
10-30-2007, 11:59
cans of Busch beer in my day pack. i don't use one of them weenie camelback thingys

Weenie? Ouch!
Busch? I guess they don't have Natural Ice in your area.:rolleyes:

jlb2012
10-30-2007, 12:00

Is there any piece of gear that you don't use but yet you don't consider to be weenie?

Lone Wolf
10-30-2007, 12:01
Weenie? Ouch!
Busch? I guess they don't have Natural Ice in your area.:rolleyes:

Natty Ice is schwag

taildragger
10-30-2007, 12:03
Is there any piece of gear that you don't use but yet you don't consider to be weenie?

I don' think that he'd consider this weenie

Lone Wolf
10-30-2007, 12:04

I don't use hammocks. they're alright. just not for me.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
10-30-2007, 12:06
I don' think that he'd consider this weenie

2520Does this come in an ultralite model?

Alligator
10-30-2007, 12:07

The information provided does not go into detail as to what he was carrying. Further the articles states that he had "layered up". I'm not saying he was prepared/unprepared, but from the information folks are drawing conclusions.

taildragger
10-30-2007, 12:08
Does this come in an ultralite model?

You don't want it to be ultra-lite, thats just too painful to be fun

Flush2wice
10-30-2007, 13:12
Dickel, ice, Glock, extra ammo, hatchet (chainsaw if it's an over-niter), flare gun, trekking pole.

D'Artagnan
10-30-2007, 13:38
If it's ground I've already covered and know what to expect like, say, Grayson Highlands, I usually just carry water, a few Pop-Tarts and/or crackers and/or jerky, TP, knife, headlamp and a light jacket (if cooler temps are expected). I have been known, on occasion, to splurge and carry a PB&J sandwich or two. ;)

If it's new ground for me or a less-populated section, I may carry my sleeping bag and a little more food along with some Aqua Mira.

I tend to wait until I get back for the beer.

pure_mahem
10-30-2007, 18:45
rain poncho, military casualty blanket, lighter, ferrocerium rod, vaseline cotton balls, pocket knife, flash light, firstaid kit, and lunch wich may include my heinipot and trangia stove. and a walking stick and sidearm

pure_mahem
10-30-2007, 18:47
oh forgot my digital camera and small pair of binoculars

Cookerhiker
10-30-2007, 21:12
oh forgot my digital camera and small pair of binoculars

That's exactly what happened to me yesterday. Went on a dayhike along Canaan Mountain in Monanaghela Nat'l Forest and realized when I got there I had forgotten those 2 things.

Otherwise, I don't bring much. I guess I should heed the advice in this thread.

Ramble~On
10-30-2007, 21:38
The Dinos have a good topic here.

There's a saying "Better to have and not need than to need and not have"
Obviously...you can't cart around a ton of stuff but you can take the essentials.
Some call them "THE 10 ESSENTIALS"
What those essentials are exactly depends on the individual, season and location...what works for one may not work at all for another.

I usually carry a small stuff sack with me on any hike. It's contents change regularly but I pretty much always carry.
A small first aid kit
A Swiss Army knife
2 Hefty bags
A "metal match" and cotton balls soaked in nail polish remover
A headlamp with fresh batteries
A hooded Rain jacket
A 99 cent space blanket
Candy bars
A piece of Tyvek

I've been out on day hikes before and decided to stay out because I didn't want to go home.
There's also been a couple times when the moonshine was....
Ah yes...then of course are those times when a day out in the woods turned into an overnighter unexpected like...oh yeah, maybe condoms should be added to the list.

Tennessee Viking
10-30-2007, 23:53
I usually carry
-powerade (lunch)
-camelback of water (hike)
-an extra bottled water (emergencues)
-my general sandwich lunch
-cereal bars/nuts (emergencies)
-shovel & essentials just in case I end up talking to a tree
-compass (only if I am on unblazed trails)
-cell phone
-emergency blanket-emergency poncho0
-maps

woodsy
10-31-2007, 06:17
SpiritWind;The Dinos have a good topic here.

There's a saying "Better to have and not need than to need and not have"
Obviously...you can't cart around a ton of stuff but you can take the essentials.
Some call them "THE 10 ESSENTIALS"
What those essentials are exactly depends on the individual, season and location...what works for one may not work at all for another.

That sums it up nicely.
My day hikes here in the wilds are almost all remote and am generally solo.
That said, my pack is equipped with all that i need for an overnighter or two with solo tent/bag, ready to eat food and the 10 essentials.
Winter hiking, add much more survival gear(extra clothing, snowshoes, white gas stove and fixings for hot meals and drink.
I have people look at me funny when they see the size of my "day hike" pack:rolleyes::) But, i feel good knowing i'm self-reliant to a certain extent.

Peaks
10-31-2007, 08:16
To me it depends totally on the location and distance.

I'll carry many of the items listed above on some hikes. On others I will basically just have food, water, and car keys.

Ditto. Sometimes, not even food, just water and car keys.

mudhead
10-31-2007, 08:36
So I'm not the only one who takes hard candy and Chapstick on a non-remote dayhike?

JAK
10-31-2007, 08:40
I cut a piece of blue foam pad that fits inside my daypack, to complete the 'D', where the back of the D is the padding already in the daypack, and the round part of the D is the padding I add. This gives me something to sit on when digging through the daypack, and makes the daypack more rigid and comfortable even when its half full.

The stuff in the daypack varies depending on how venturous the day trip is, but almost always have in mind the scenario where I am basically sitting on a foam pad with all my insulation layers and wind layers and rain poncho on, and making tea.

Jeff
10-31-2007, 10:13
AN extra pair of dry socks can make a soggy day-hike a little more enjoyable.

Cuffs
10-31-2007, 10:27
Excellent thread FD!

I carry:
rain gear (poncho doubles as emergency shelter)
1st aid kit (homemade, not a commercial one)
fleece hat
snack-type food
Water of course
GPS (Im usually geocaching in the woods on dayhikes)
TP
couple of Ziplocks
Digital Camera
Whistle is already part of my sternum buckle

Think I may add a few of the things metioned... dropper of water treatment.

Mags
02-21-2008, 11:51
Irish Cream Liqueur, cake, plates, forks, mocha in a thermos.

All the essentials for a climb on Green Mtn on St. Patrick's Day.

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=15096

Erin go Bragh!

MOWGLI
02-21-2008, 12:06
Irish Cream Liqueur, cake, plates, forks, mocha in a thermos.

All the essentials for a climb on Green Mtn on St. Patrick's Day.

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_gallery2&Itemid=36&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=15096

Erin go Bragh!

No cannolis?

rafe
02-21-2008, 12:13
Pretty much the same as I'd carry on my section hikes, but without the tent and sleep gear, and with less food. I might have one of those small emergency bivys instead of the tent/sleep gear.

Frau
02-21-2008, 12:33
My water, food--2 days' worthDog water, food--1 day's worthcompassspace bagemergency ponchodental floss multi-toolpolypro long sleeved top and bottom, unless it is high summerDEET (summer)extra pair wool sockslightert.p. (end of a roll)knifewhistleleashcell, turned off (not always, but I locked myself out of my truck once and had to hunt down a person with phone to reach my son))

gold bond
02-21-2008, 12:35
Great thread! We did a twenty mile dayhike saturday and I ws accused of carrying to much. As I looked at the map once you got in...you did not have anything untill you got out. So I packed everything you had on your list with a water filter,small alc stove and first aid kit. The funny thing was two of the guys was going to have their wives bring them in lunch....10 miles I said! So when we stopped to what they thought was going to eat, they didn't but I did! Course I shared! Freezer bag taters with cheese.

Frau
02-21-2008, 12:37
Using a proxy server to post results in this word spacing problem. Sorry!

envirodiver
02-21-2008, 12:48
In colder weather I may carry and extra jacket, vest or top.

Rain Jacket
Compass
Map
Whistle
Emergency space blanket
snacks
lunch
water treatment
water
small first aid kit
matches or lighter
Maybe trail guide
TP
Vasoline (for chafing, get your mind out of the gutter)
Headlamp
Knife
Drivers License
Insurance card
Cash

Mags
02-21-2008, 12:55
No cannolis?

Why..that is for St. Joseph's Day (Mar 19th) (http://riroads.com/members/stjosephsday.htm), and I will take zeppole (http://www.quahog.org/factsfolklore/index.php?id=167). ;)

desdemona
02-22-2008, 00:51
"10 essentials"
doggie first aid kit (some other stuff for her that goes in her little pack-- pad cream, etc.)
doggie treats and an emergency food roll for her
monocular (both close in and far off)
digital camera
super glue, small roll of duct tape
nylon cord
moleskin
extra pair of socks, light gloves
t.p., ziplock bags, and the funnel :-)
small tube of sunscreen, sunscreen lipbalm
sun hat (wide brim and collapsible)
tweezers (for them cacti)

--des

warraghiyagey
02-22-2008, 01:06
Delicious Melancholy
Memory
Love

aficion
03-05-2008, 23:45
Did 25 miler last September, knowing the weather would be steady, with only my car key and a small bag of gorp. I'm not saying it was risk free, but it felt very free and good. Would not recommend to anyone from a safety standpoint, but its my preferred m o. I may pay dearly someday. Its a risk that I am happy with.

vonfrick
03-06-2008, 20:19
Delicious Melancholy
Memory
Love

that and a few regrets and i'm good to go.

(ok, and maybe a granola bar...) ;)

Mrs Baggins
03-06-2008, 20:51
Snickers Bars, apples, at least 1 full liter of water, rain jacket, cell phone, toilet paper, Advil. If it's all day (7 - 8 hours as opposed to say 4 - 5 hours) then add a deli sandwich, some cash, debit card, drivers license, med insurance card.

mweinstone
03-06-2008, 21:04
matthewski day pack=
large sutures for stitching dino skin if cut
special dino thermometor with kevlar teeth protector in case of slight dino fever
dino sized emergency blanket to treat dino shock if dino sees matthewskis candy bag
dino electrolytes if dino has blinky eyes and stars from drinking too much of matthewskis knob creek.
dino emergency phone list including dino vet and dino lift helo service.
four extra shoelaces
tail tape
toothcovers for hitchikeing with dino.
dr dinos dino pills for every good dinos healthy teeth and bones
leash for stray dinos found by momma dino while hikeing.
duplicate med alert braclet in case dino looses hers, "dino blood only!,no human blood"

BR360
03-06-2008, 21:38
Something different:

Especially when solo, I carry 60 feet of 7 millimeter climbing cordage. It is thick enough to use as a light rope with a decent feel in the hand, has a test strength of something like 900 pounds. Packs into the size of a large orange.

Anchored it to a stout tree, I have used it for self-belay to climb or descend rocky areas, go out into slippery waterfall tops, and help with fording some streams.

This rope has allowed me to go some places, do some things, get some pictures I would not have taken the risk on otherwise.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
03-06-2008, 21:52
matthewski day pack=
large sutures for stitching dino skin if cut
special dino thermometor with kevlar teeth protector in case of slight dino fever
dino sized emergency blanket to treat dino shock if dino sees matthewskis candy bag
dino electrolytes if dino has blinky eyes and stars from drinking too much of matthewskis knob creek.
dino emergency phone list including dino vet and dino lift helo service.
four extra shoelaces
tail tape
toothcovers for hitchikeing with dino.
dr dinos dino pills for every good dinos healthy teeth and bones
leash for stray dinos found by momma dino while hikeing.
duplicate med alert braclet in case dino looses hers, "dino blood only!,no human blood"::: Dino curls a loving tail around her hiking buddy :::

jhick
03-07-2008, 09:29
Besides the normal essentials, I especially bring a headlamp and extra batteries... that way I can feel free to explore and not worry about getting back before dark. For summer day hikes, I like to freeze a bottle of water or iced tea the night before and take it along for a nice, cold mid day drink. A few times I've taken some of my favorite beer along in a ziplock with ice.

Critterman
03-07-2008, 10:31
I bring more stuff than I will ever need just because its fun and I like it. :D

Jason of the Woods
03-07-2008, 11:15
All of these lists seem like a lot of planning. Do you guys actually have time to hike? Don't get me wrong I carry the essentials and emergency stuff but the main thing for me is to enjoy nature.

hilladelph
03-11-2008, 14:49
every day hike has the same packing list for me (summer in NH and Maine):
-mid weight fleece
-sun screen, bug spray, purell
-whistle/compass attached to daypack
-goretex shell
-extra t-shirt
-2 L water
-small swiss army knife/utility knife
-light wicking long sleeve shirt
-sunglasses
-map
-more gorp than I would eat on the trail
-enough food for lunch
-bandanna
-mini first-aid kit (antibiotic cream, band-aids, alcohol wipe)

Tobit
03-11-2008, 20:52
matthewski. that was great!

cowboy nichols
03-11-2008, 22:34
I keep a day pack ready at all times with ecentials minus food & water, These can be added in minutes. I keep a backpack fully ready except for food which i could live out of for months if I had too. You never know when the wanderlust will strike.

JAK
03-11-2008, 23:00
I've been doing some hasty day hikes with family lately.
Not too far from the car so more concerned about maximizing pleasure.

Stuff I've been bringing lately:
0. 10oz daypack or 20oz Jam2 depending on how many I'm packing for.
1. Thermometer, whistle, jack-knife. (Daughter has here own also.)
2. Map, compass, watch. (Daughter usually commandeers these.)
3. Kelly Kettle, matches, beeswax candle.
4. 1 litre water + hot chocolate powder, spoon.
5. 1 litre water + tea, skim milk powder, honey.
6. dear wife usually throws a whole bunch more food in for us than we need.
7. rain poncho/tarp + wool blanket + 2 bum pads.
8. hats, mitts, wind shells, skin layers
9. Itty bitty first aid kit with sewing kit I should probably examine more seriously.
10. We bring the car keys but usually forget the camera.
11. Margaret always grabs a hiking stick, and finds a few more pet rocks.

Clothing worn by all = wool pants, wool sweaters, wool socks, sneakers

desdemona
03-12-2008, 00:26
All of these lists seem like a lot of planning. Do you guys actually have time to hike? Don't get me wrong I carry the essentials and emergency stuff but the main thing for me is to enjoy nature.

I don't know if I carry that much stuff, but I don't really ever unpack. I take out a few things and put them back in basically.

--des

travis71
03-12-2008, 00:38
Camelback has my water

Leatherman
TP
cheap whistle/compass thing I got for free
cheapo nylon pants that stuff into their own pocket
Poncho & Space Blanket I stuffed in my pack that I got out of a geocache
batteries and headlamp
couple of clif bars, maybe an orange
some geocache swag
since I made my hammock, I have put that in there as well in a stuffsack, I figured WTH... its fairly light... and I hike for exercise so I dont mind the added weight.

I also pack my GPS with me on any hike. I like to load my tracks onto the PC, then overlay them on Google Earth... think thats pretty neat to get a different angle on where I have actually hiked.

Gonna add my frogg toggs when they come in.

travis71
03-12-2008, 00:40
cant edit that post... but I also carry a waterproof container with matches & cottonballs w/petroleum jelly.

bkrownd
03-25-2008, 19:34
Top 10 day expedition stuffs:
1) Rain jacket and blaze orange (hunting) vest
2) Machete, or combat knife if machete not needed
3) Camera and lenses
4) GPS and compass
5) 2 petzl zipka headlamps
6) 1 or two extra sets of batteries for everything electronic
7) Apples or water (usually end up drinking nothing and spraying mud off my boots with the water afterwards)
8) baggies for keeping everything dry
9) waterproof notebook and pencil for bird counts and notes
10) keys and wallet!

Toolshed
03-25-2008, 20:42
Here's my list - I am open for comments.....
BTW, I usually keep everything except food and water ready to go in the waist-pack in the closet and can quickly dump it into a daypack if I need one.

In High Summer (J/J/A) on hikes of less than 6 hours or 8 miles, I normally try to get by with a large waist-pack which I normally carry:

- An old spare Marmot Precip Jacket
- Small BD Headlamp
- Swiss Army Knife "Camper model"
- 2-1 Ltr frozen water bottles
- Small Dark Brown Glass eyedropper Bottle of Iodine and several coffee
filters to filter and treat water (bottles are available from any pharmacist
and Dark brown keeps sunlight off the iodine)
- Small first aid kit with:
- - 1/2 oz tube of Bacitracin antibiotic (cream or ointment)
- - 2-3 band-aids each of various size,
- - half dozen Tylenol, ibuprofen and
- - 2 dilaudid
- - Point end Tweezers
- - Small roll of Gauze
- - Small Roll of Duct Tape (3 feet wrapped around a pencil stub)
- - 2-3 cough drops or hard candies
- - Large Safety Pin
- - Small roll-on of Body Glide
- Small essentials kit with:
- - Spare headlamp batteries
- - Pad and pen
- - 1 each gallon and quart size plastic Ziploc brand bag
- - 1 Trash compactor bag
- - Compass
- - Spare 10' piece of 3mm cord
- - Button sized Photon Light
- Map of area
- Light Snacks
- Toilet paper and tiny refillable tube of hand cleaning gel.

I can get most of this in the waist-pack. Water bottles in the outside pockets and jacket strapped to top of waist-pack.

In Spring or Fall or longer dayhikes of 10-12 miles, I bring a 2400CI daypack and:
- Double (or triple) water,
- light fleece,
- brim hat
- GPS
- Extra food
- foam sit-pad (old piece of ensolite)

I really like the idea that was mentioned about carrying a Hennessy Hammock. For an extra 2 lbs, you have a nice place to setup quickly (No canopy) and take a snooze. Might be worth it to carry a daypack with it in it from now on since I always have the space in my regular daypack.
Great tip thanks!!!!!

Mags
03-26-2008, 10:50

If I may be serious for a moment... ;)

My day pack is almost always pre-packed (depending on the season which gear is pre-packed). For three season use, I have a stuff sack prepacked with a light shell, fleece hat, liner gloves, a small first aid kit and a headlamp. My water bottle(s) are already in the pack. I shove a jacket in as I leave the house (or wear it)

My hiking clothes are all in the same spot. (Dorky sun hat, shorts, shirt, socks, shoes)

Likewise with my backpacking gear (and ski gear).

Basically, I can be packed in minutes for a day hike or ski. For an overnighter, almost as quickly.

The key is organization and having everything ready to go.

travis71
03-26-2008, 10:54
It takes me longer to fill my bladder & get my boots on than it does to grab my pack.. .most of that stuff stays in the pack....

musicwoman
04-05-2008, 17:00
I always have my "survival pack" in a quart ziplock. In it is:

Small first aid kit (a few bandages, neosporin, tweezers, Advil)
Survival blanket
Small lighter
Cotton balls soaked in Vaseline
Whistle
Compass
Some safety pins
Mini LED flashlight

For food and drink I have:

1-2 liters of water depending on the length of the hike
protein bars
usually a lunch like pb&j on bagel
Snickers or Reeses

Other assorted:

TP
Small swiss army knife (redundant because I never hike without my Leatherman Micra anyway, but I feel safer having a back-up)
duct tape
Fleece hat
Maps

sofaking
04-05-2008, 17:26
bowling balls...three of 'em, 16 pounders.
x-large proni pizza, thin crust to cut down on weight
5 liters of red wine
inflatable pool and patio furniture set, i get the big chair!
horseshoes or badmitton set, depending on what's in season
katana with sting ray grip, 'cause i beleive in stealth camping ninja style
magic flute, bracers of endurance(+5 hp, +7 if a double roll) and cloak of warm and fuzziness
if the terrain is challenging i bring chuck norris and he pretty much takes care of that right quick

J5man
04-05-2008, 18:11
I bascially carry the same stuff in my daypack as overnight pack with all the essentials everyone has listed. The biggest difference that lightens the load (besides not packing the tent, pad, and sleeping bag) is the amount of food and clothing depending on the weather. Part of everyone's answer could also be modified by the length of your day hike. A two hour jaunt on the trail is a little different that a 10 hour dayhike. I am glad to see so many people list a cell phone. It is the best piece of emergency equipment you can carry.

gungho
04-05-2008, 23:19
I normally use day hikes as a training ground for overniters, so I will carry everything I need to survive.Tent,sleeping bag,food,stove,etc.

JAK
04-05-2008, 23:30
Lately I've been carrying a kelly kettle, matches, hot chocolate, and a whole mess of kids clothing that they peel off as soon as they get out of their mother's sight. :)

Wags
04-05-2008, 23:30
toolshed what's the coughdrops/hard candy in your 1st aid kit for?

hnryclay
04-06-2008, 16:04
Not to answer for toolshed, but I always carry hard candy of cough drops when I hike. It keeps my mouth from going dry, and helps me breathe better. When I jog, I usually use them as well.

mudhead
04-06-2008, 20:15
Lately I've been carrying a kelly kettle, matches, hot chocolate, and a whole mess of kids clothing that they peel off as soon as they get out of their mother's sight. :)

Easier that way. Did you stumble upon it to placate her, or did the kids start throwing excess clothes on the ground?

JAK
04-06-2008, 20:31
A little of both. After carrying armfuls of clothing and a packful I figured out that it was redundant for me to carrying extra clothes for them and their mothers have them wear them. So I start off dayhikes now with my pack half empty, which being an eternal optimist, I consider half full. :)

pure_mahem
04-07-2008, 01:45
I'ld like to add that I've recently decided to just take my pack with me I just don't take all the extra food and clothes. I take enough for an overnight just incase I decide to stay or have to stay. Besides a lot also depends on what your doing or hiking to. Do you plan on swimming, do you plan on fishing, taking a comfortable nap, sitting out for lunch. I find it's nice to just hike for a while set up the hammock and cook lunch and hang for a while before I move on. Most of the time I'm in no hurry to get back After all I'ld rather stay.

earlyriser26
04-07-2008, 06:40
Water pump, first aid kit, small ammount of food, rain gear, matches, cell phone. Unless I'm going in winter, my rain gear would keep me warm through the night. I learned my leason in 1977 when I climbed Katahdin in August. I was wearing just a t-shirt. It was 65 at the base, but started raining, and then snowing near the top. I should have turned back, but at 21 you do some dumb things. Never again do I hike without a hat and rain gear.

Mags
04-07-2008, 11:20
I am glad to see so many people list a cell phone. It is the best piece of emergency equipment you can carry.

Debatable. Esp if you don't have coverage. :)

Bulldawg
05-12-2008, 20:50
When I go out for a short dayhike I usually pack pretty heavily. I often get strange looks from people I run into who find out I'm only out for the day. But I pack heavy for two reasons. Dayhikes for me are dry runs for longer overnighters. I don't want to get too spoiled by packing lightly. I will usually carry a change of clothes, my hammock, food for 3 or 4 meals, cookset, stove, two one quart water containers, a fleece blanket, a rain jacket, extra socks, and a fleece or wool cap. While if something were to happen that forced me to spend a night out, it would not be the most comfortable, I would live through it. But I was in the Boy Scouts, so I live by the be prepared motto.

4eyedbuzzard
05-12-2008, 22:08
Cell phone, whistle, compass, knife, space bivy bag, firestarter(lighter with back up matches), very small emergency kit(tape, needle, floss, tweezers, micro LED light) shell jacket, clothes suitable for the season and climate(hat and warm layer - that means good to about 40F here in NH in the summer). Don't need food or water purification or complex medical kids, etc - it's all about simply avoiding dying from hypothermia before finding your way out or getting rescued, not starving or dying from pathogens or infections.

Bulldawg
05-12-2008, 22:12
God, forgot first aid and cell phone since those are so in grained in my mind. I also always have the camera of course!!

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2008, 22:25
Hey this is awkward, if it is less than 10 miles in the woods & 40 degrees lat? Just a 10oz waterbottle, knife, small lighter, & a peice of jerky.

HAVE ANY OF YOU TRIED TO SLEEP IN ONE OF THOSE FOIL EME BLANKETS BELOW 45 DEGREES?

Waste of time.

Have any of the older group tried to walk in the woods with a single LED lamp?

Don't trip.

4eyedbuzzard
05-12-2008, 22:34
Hey this is awkward, if it is less than 10 miles in the woods & 40 degrees lat? Just a 10oz waterbottle, knife, small lighter, & a peice of jerky.

40 deg lat east of the Mississippi that may be okay. Wouldn't be too bright an idea in parts of CO, UT, NV, or CA.

Flush2wice
05-12-2008, 22:35
A toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc.
But above all a towel. A towel is about the most massively useful thing a hiker can have... any man who can hike the length and breadth of the Trail, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through and still know where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.

KnowledgeEngine
05-13-2008, 03:14
With the exception of food and water treatment options I carry my entire kit. My reasoning is I am 25 years old, and can use the workout. If I carry it on a day hike my body is conditioned to hauling it, my mind to packing and using it. Helps me realize what the weight feels like, etc. Plus you never know when a day hike turns bad, and into a multi day deal.

t-bor
05-13-2008, 06:00
a pony keg of pbr and one pound of dried tvp

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-13-2008, 06:13
::: Dino makes note not to light a match within 100 yards of t-bor during dayhikes :::