PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Pak 16 oz VS Double-Serve 20 oz

Crazy_Al
10-30-2007, 14:11
Mountain House Pro-Pak 16 ounces VS Double-Serve 20 ounce

Does one Pro-Pak have the same or less food than one Double-Serve ????

Marta
10-30-2007, 14:16
It's slightly less. The Pro-Pak meals range from about 450 to 550 calories per serving. The "for two" packs are usually around 300 per serving, or 600 for the pack.

Appalachian Tater
10-30-2007, 14:27
A 16 oz. package is 20% less than a 20 oz. package, or the 20 oz. package is 25% larger than the 16 oz. package, depending on you you want to look at it. The 20 oz. package is marketed as two meals and I have seen section hikers sharing them although it's just enough for me. The calories, as Marta pointed out, aren't very high for a long distance hiker.

Interestingly enough, the 20 oz. Chili Mac with Beef is only $0.20 more than the 16 oz. package on their website. They have strange pricing anyway, the Marine Cuisine is the same exact food with a different label on the same package and they sell it at a significant discount on their website, so that's what I buy.

Marta
10-30-2007, 14:33
Tater makes a good point--buying at the local outdoor store is an expensive way to go. I buy from these folks:

http://www.ldpcampingfoods.com/

They give volume discounts. Your "volume" cumulates with every purchase. The main reason I go with the Pro-Paks is that they're much, much smaller in volume, so they pack more easily, and produce less trash.

Another way to go is to get the #10 cans and repackage into pint or quart freezer bags. Then you can make your meals whatever size you like.

Captain Blue
10-30-2007, 16:16
I place a large order with LDP Camping food every year. They are great to order from. I recommend them. Fast service, good selection of Mountain House and a great discount program.

Kerosene
10-30-2007, 16:25
Be aware that the sodium content, at least for some of the ProPack recipes, seemed extremely high. The Beef Stew I scarfed down one night had w-a-a-y too much salt and had something like 100% of the daily recommended amount. Of course, that didn't stop me from finishing it.

trudger
10-30-2007, 17:46
I bought mine from Karst at a $4.25 clip. If you buy in larger quanities.

Marta
10-30-2007, 18:48
Be aware that the sodium content, at least for some of the ProPack recipes, seemed extremely high. The Beef Stew I scarfed down one night had w-a-a-y too much salt and had something like 100% of the daily recommended amount. Of course, that didn't stop me from finishing it.

So I had to laugh when the girl I was hiking with on the JMT remarked that her MH meal needed salt. If you've been biking and hiking for a couple of months the way she had, you CRAVE the salt.

namehere
10-30-2007, 21:52
So I had to laugh when the girl I was hiking with on the JMT remarked that her MH meal needed salt. If you've been biking and hiking for a couple of months the way she had, you CRAVE the salt.

same here. i started adding olive oil and spices (chili powder, pepper, cajun seasoning - includes additional salt), ramen (minus the flavor packet), and sometimes tuna. if you are concerned about the sodium content in MHs, make certain to check out the content in ramen noodles!