PDA

View Full Version : AC Joint Injury

Kerosene
11-24-2003, 11:16
Anyone out there have experience with recovering from a torn AC Joint? I'm wondering how this might impact my ability to carry a mid-weight (20-30 pound) pack on week+ trips once I recover. From WebMD:

The acromioclavicular joint (ACJ) lies over the top of the shoulder. The ACJ is the gliding joint that forms the connection between the acromion of the shoulder blade (scapula) and the collarbone (clavicle). It allows the shoulder to rise and fall (shrug) and helps stabilize the shoulder joint.Any experience on other limitations you've encountered would be helpful. Thanks. :(

squirrel bait
11-24-2003, 11:35
I've had a second degee AC seperation since a fat guy fell on me in 1989. Hasn't ever bothered me. No trouble hoisting a pack, swimming, pull ups, anything. Rehab hurts like son of gun, but other than the bump that comes with this injury I wouldn't expect any long term effects. Don't worry, I play golf and shot 68 with my partner who also has an AC seperation, quite common actually. In fact 3 out of our regular foursome have this.

Kerosene
11-24-2003, 12:49
Thanks, Squirrel Bait! My long-term outlook on life has improved tremendously with your response!

squirrel bait
11-24-2003, 15:44
Don't let them (doctors/friends) talk ya into having the protuding bump on your shoulder operated on to remove the bump. It's just cosmetic. The little bone that sits down in the ring of tissue is seperated and cannot be put back. They just grind down the protusion so it looks good. Cosmetic surgery is never a good bet. I can still do one one armed push up left handed (the effected side) but only one, not as strong anymore not because of the injury. You'll find if you stand with your arm at different levels, hand on hip lets say, you can make the bump go away or at least shrink, so good luck on your rehab, it really hurts when you raise your arm above your head Heh? That goes away too. If you have your shirt off and some boy scout asks what/how tell em ya got it roping bbbbbbbears.