PDA

View Full Version : Durability of Montbell Jackets

saimyoji
10-30-2007, 19:17
The down jackets are made of 15 or 30D Ballistic nylon. How durable is it in your experience? You can read about it here (http://www.montbell.us/products/techinfo/techsys/material/material20.html), but I've never actually felt it. Will it hold up to rigorous trail use?

Smile
10-30-2007, 19:24
I have a UL and I really like it, used it plenty and it seems very tough to me. Looks similar to a very thin coated paper, but has not worn or torn yet, and I am fairly tough on jackets, especially around the sleeves. Keep in mind that I did not cook while using, I assume that this material could burn easily and get little holes.

Nice jackets though, warm. :)

peter_pan
10-30-2007, 19:36
have worn my montbell thermo wrap at least 400 days over the last two years.... no wear showing.

Pan

greentick
10-30-2007, 19:39
Anyone ever tried to sew some elastic or a drawstring channel on the bottom of those jackets? That would make them about perfect IMO.

Survivor Dave
10-30-2007, 19:41
I have used the MB Alpine Light Jacket with the Ballistic material for about a year now. So far so good. I have been through fairly heavy brush and it didn't snag or leave a mark which pleasantly surprised me. I wouldn't recommend running through thorns or briar patches to find out though. I also agree that staying away from the cinders from a campfire, or getting too close to your stove would be in the best interest.

They do make this model with a hood for $15 more.

I use the MB SuperStretch #2 25 degree UL Sleeping Bag as well. The durability of the jacket led me to the decision about the bag.

It is a great jacket for around camp, but not for hiking. You'll sweat your privates off!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Attached Pic below.

SD

Froggy
10-30-2007, 23:29
I have a Montbell Light Shell jacket - at least I think it's that model. It has a drawstring at the bottom.

I give the jacket very high marks - excellent jacket.

wrongway_08
10-31-2007, 09:43
Great jackets and sleeping bags, warm! I wear my U.L. down jacket for around camp, gets too warm to really hike in (was 40 - 55 degrees, light wind)

Mocs123
10-31-2007, 09:52
I have a 2005 Mont-Bell Thermawrap that I have used quite a bit and it still looks like new. The material is similar in weight to Pertex if you have a pertex sleeping bag.

icemanat95
10-31-2007, 09:59
I have a 1994 vintage montbell Goretex jacket still in excellent condition. Survived a thru and several winters of heavy use in the White Mountains. I still reach for it for work. There are a couple small holes in the wrist where I snagged it on some krummholz while glissading down from the summit of Mt. Adams. Otherwise it is essentially in perfect condition.

Montbell stuff is built to last.

saimyoji
11-07-2007, 15:55
Trying to find info on the zipper: is it a coil type (the more rounded thin teeth kind) or a molded type (the flatter bumpier kind)? I see on the website that its a 4/5 C...but not quite sure what that means.

Mags
11-07-2007, 16:58
Montbell stuff is built to last.

Every piece of Montbell gear I own is made well and is beautifully designed.

A little $$$, but worth the price IMO.

-SEEKER-
11-07-2007, 20:22
So what I'm reading into this is: Instead of scraping together $200.00 for the Patagonia Down Sweater I can get the Montbell ALpine Light Down Jacket for $150.00 and be a happy camper? (pun intended)

Survivor Dave
11-07-2007, 20:38
So what I'm reading into this is: Instead of scraping together $200.00 for the Patagonia Down Sweater I can get the Montbell ALpine Light Down Jacket for $150.00 and be a happy camper? (pun intended)

That is correct. You can also dish out another 15 bucks if you want it with the hood. The pockets are deeeep and very warm.

SD