PDA

View Full Version : "easiest" 150 mile stretch

Mike B
10-31-2007, 09:36
I have a few weeks off, not in the best of shape. I'd like to get some thoughts on what would be the easiest,(I know, none of its easy) 150 (or so) mile section.........Thanks.

Lone Wolf
10-31-2007, 09:37
Shenandoah NP to Harpers Ferry

Cookerhiker
10-31-2007, 09:52
Alternatively Harpers Ferry to Duncannon (120 miles) or on to Swatara Gap for your 150.

A-Train
10-31-2007, 10:31
Alternatively, seeing your from Mass, Pawling to Williamstown Mass isn't too difficult and is right around 150, or finish 23 miles short of there in Dalton Mass to cut out a long climb up Greylock

Footslogger
10-31-2007, 10:35
Second vote for the Shennies. I think I made about the best mileage there as anywhere else on my thru.

'Slogger

Kerosene
10-31-2007, 11:54
I'd probably vote for Pearisburg to Damascus.

Cookerhiker
10-31-2007, 11:54
Alternatively, seeing your from Mass, Pawling to Williamstown Mass isn't too difficult and is right around 150, or finish 23 miles short of there in Dalton Mass to cut out a long climb up Greylock

Or back up, starting at Bear Mountain Inn to Mass Pike/Rt 20/Lee. Almost exactly 150 miles.

burger
10-31-2007, 13:12
I'll third (fourth?) the Waynesboro to Harpers Ferry suggestion. Easy terrain, lots of access to food, many alternative places to stay (campgrounds, hotels, hostels), and some nice views. And both ends of that section are relatively easy to get to.

Pennsylvania is easy, too, but the views and off-trail attractions are fewer. And I don't know what the people suggesting NY/CT/MA are smoking. Yeah, that section is easy compared to some of the hard parts of the AT, but there are a bunch of really steep climbs and descents all through that area. If you want easy, stay away from there.

jersey joe
10-31-2007, 13:24
I agree with burger on Pennsylvania being easy. I made some real good miles/day in PA. Seems like the trail dips down into a gap then runs a ridgeline for 15 miles then does it again and again. I also agree on PA being the most boring state to hike through as there are few views.

A-Train
10-31-2007, 14:30
I'll third (fourth?) the Waynesboro to Harpers Ferry suggestion. Easy terrain, lots of access to food, many alternative places to stay (campgrounds, hotels, hostels), and some nice views. And both ends of that section are relatively easy to get to.

Pennsylvania is easy, too, but the views and off-trail attractions are fewer. And I don't know what the people suggesting NY/CT/MA are smoking. Yeah, that section is easy compared to some of the hard parts of the AT, but there are a bunch of really steep climbs and descents all through that area. If you want easy, stay away from there.

What I'm smoking is reality burger. Leaving from around Pawling you're in NY for about the last 10 miles including probably some of the flatest walking on the trail. Connecticut has a few hills, but nothing hard by any means. Moving on to Mass you have a medium climb up to Race/Everett, but at this point 70 miles into a section this shouldn't impede anyone. The majority of Mass is pancake flat, sans a small climb up the mountain before rt 23.

You're not gonna find any 150 mile section on the AT with no climbing or work, its impossible. Honestly I believe this section to be better, more interesting and easier than the proposed Waynesboro to HF. Frankly I thought the Shennies to be rather dull (but easy) and the section from Front Royal to HF to be utterly boring with all of the roller coaster ups and down. But just one guys opinion

warraghiyagey
10-31-2007, 14:57
The Bigelows south to Vermont.:)