PDA

View Full Version : Help NY overnite 11/3-11/4

The Big J
10-31-2007, 11:09
Taking my better half for her first overnite hike. Planning on Arden valley Rd. to bear mtn. Looking for recommendation on where to overnite. William Brien shelter or West Mtn. shelter. How is the water situation since the rain we have recieved? One guide says there is a well at Brien shelter, does it have water? If I decide to hike to West mtn. shelter how reliable is Beechy Bottom brook? Open to suggestion for any other overnite hikes in the area that would serve as a nice ice breaker for my other half.

Cookerhiker
10-31-2007, 11:48
Can't give you the water status but as far as your hike is concerned, I'd stay at Brien shelter. From Arden Valley Rd, you will have hiked some rolling ups and downs before arriving at Brien. That's probably sufficient especially if it's your SO's first outing. Going to West Mountain means more ups that first day including a steep-enough one before arriving at the shelter.

Appalachian Tater
10-31-2007, 12:02
The well at Wm. Brien is spring-fed and may fail.

This thread maybe useful:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=729

The Big J
10-31-2007, 13:10
thanks for the help. I will stay at Wm, Brien and hike in enough water for the night. I can get water in the morning near the palisades pkwy. If the spring is running even better. I plan to stop at West mtn. shelter for a break, hear it has fantastic views.

The Big J
10-31-2007, 13:41
Possibly looking for a shuttle from Bear mtn. state park to Arden Valley rd. at Tiorati Circle on sat 11/3 in the morning. Any suggestions?

gsingjane
10-31-2007, 19:15
That part of the AT in NY, while interesting and scenic, is going to be a little rough for a beginner, especially someone you want to convince to like backpacking, as I suppose you do! So, take it slow and take steak, as one enterprising guy we met last spring did... I never saw such a grateful date!

Beechy Bottom should be reliable, it even had semi-potable water at the height of the drought in September.

Have a great time, I wish I were out there and we could car spot... am going to be out with BSA in CT that same weekend...

Jane in CT

lihiker
10-31-2007, 21:41
I was just at both of those shelters on Oct. 6, 7, & 8. Parked at the Anthony Wayne picnic area and hiked to the West Mountain shelter (the views are great.) Beechy Bottom Brook was not flowing, the only water was still and by the parking lot. On the second day on the way to the Brien shelter went back to the parking lot and had plenty of fresh water in the car to pack, was back in the parking lot anyway by the still water of Beechy Bottom Brook, it could have been used in a pinch but did not look too appetizing. I did see one small mud hole but everything else was dry during the hike to the Brien shelter. You can get water by walking north on the Palisades Parkway to the visitor center, but I am not sure of the hours there. The well at the Brien shelter was bone dry, some hikers came to the well and left the same way they came after finding no water. Hiked the AT back to the car on the third day and did not see a drop of water the whole time. Things could have changed since then, but if it were I, I would try to carry whatever is needed for the whole trip or have another plan b ready. Good luck.

LIhikers
11-01-2007, 07:01
If I decide to hike to West mtn. shelter how reliable is Beechy Bottom brook?

If you stay at West Mountain shelter you can get water from the reservoir at Doodletown. Be advised it's about 2 miles each way and uphill coming back to the shelter.

Cookerhiker
11-01-2007, 07:05
thanks for the help. I will stay at Wm, Brien and hike in enough water for the night. I can get water in the morning near the palisades pkwy. If the spring is running even better. I plan to stop at West mtn. shelter for a break, hear it has fantastic views.

On your way to Brien, you'll find water around where the Trail crosses 7 Lakes Drive north of Tioroti Circle.

The Big J
11-01-2007, 07:45
I will try to pack in all the water I will need. I will packing most of our gear, so I think I will pass the light stuff on to here and carry the extra weight of the water. Open to suggestion of any other hikes that would be suitable for a beginner and might have more reliable water source, even if it is an out and back. Perferably within a couple hours of the Jersey Shore. Looking for some good views for here to enjoy. Had the girlfriend out for a day hike to sunfish pond (Pa.) she enjoyed the hike except for the rocks. Thanks for the support here, this is my first time utilizing the knowledge of whiteblazers.

Cookerhiker
11-01-2007, 10:52
I will try to pack in all the water I will need. I will packing most of our gear, so I think I will pass the light stuff on to here and carry the extra weight of the water. Open to suggestion of any other hikes that would be suitable for a beginner and might have more reliable water source, even if it is an out and back. Perferably within a couple hours of the Jersey Shore. Looking for some good views for here to enjoy. Had the girlfriend out for a day hike to sunfish pond (Pa.) she enjoyed the hike except for the rocks. Thanks for the support here, this is my first time utilizing the knowledge of whiteblazers.

Do you mean Sunfish Pond in NJ? It's a picturesque setting and also rocky around the shoreline.

Having grown up in NJ, I realize that Harriman is more convenient than the AT in NJ, but you may wish to consider hiking along the Kittitiny Ridge from High Point south. Much less up-and-down than Harriman and you'll enjoy scenic vistas from both sides of the ridge. Good chance you'll see a bear. You say you're willing to do out-and-back but you could also arrange for a shuttler. Consult the ATC list (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BD25B4747-42A3-4302-8D48-EF35C0B0D9F1%7D/ATshuttleWEB_Sept%20%2010_2007.pdf).

One more tip: if you want a positive experience for your SO, don't hike anywhere in the mid-Atlantic when it's real hot & humid and the mosquitos are out in force. Go for the spring & fall.

The Big J
11-01-2007, 12:54
Yes I meant sunfishpond NJ, my bad. Thanks I will checkout Highpoint south. Was also looking at Arden Road (elk penn parking area to finferboard shelter ). Short hike, but could take our time, experievce the Lemon Squeezer, and have water at Lake Tiorati. There are many surrounding trails that would allow me to extened the miles if need be. Thanks for the ATC list I will save that.

LIhikers
11-01-2007, 14:46
Elk Pen to Fingerboard shelter is something like 3.5 miles. If you get there early enough and still want to go on there's a shelter about another 3 miles north of there, on the Long Path, and it's an easy walk. If as you aproach that shelter you've still got time and she's got energy take the yellow trail down to the Silvermine parking area and then up to the William Brien shelter. Don't follow my directions though, make sure to get the Harriman maps. They are sold at the visitor's center on the Palisades Parkway.

If this is one of her first hikes, and her first backpacking trip, just don't turn it into a death march. Better she should finish with plenty of energy left over than be on the verge of exhaustion. The weather is supposed to be beautiful and the colors should be great, make sure she has a great trip.

My wife and I also plan to be in Harriman this weekend so if you see an old married couple, with grins ear to ear, who are hiking with their shephard dog, make sure to say hello. We haven't yet decided where in the park we're going as it will depend what time we can get there on Saturday afternoon.

The Big J
11-01-2007, 16:12
Thanks I was thinking that Elk Pen to Fingerboard shelter might be a little short. I have a Harriman map and see the shelter you ar talking about. That would be perfect if we get an early start and she is doing well. It will be nice to have plan A and B. Thanks for the help. Do you know if there is water near the shelter on the long Path. Will be parking at Elk Pen overnite ,have you hear of any vandalism. Checked with park police they said it was alright. Enjoy your Saturday hike and hope to run into you. Thanks for the help.

Tin Man
11-01-2007, 16:21
It is going to be chilly in the evenings and the regs state no open fires in NJ, so you may wish to stick to the NY plan. For water, I would cache some at one or more of the road crossings rather than try to carry enough for the weekend.

LIhikers
11-01-2007, 21:37
The shelter that's on the Long Path does NOT have any water source. If you need water I'd get it from Tiorati Circle. And if that shelter should be full don't fret go a little past it and once you start down the hill there's a small "cave" just the right size for 2 or 3 people to sleep in. It'll be on your right as you go north. And if your SO can't make it to that second shelter not to worry, there are some nice camping spots along the Long Path in that area. Of couse not that I'd know by experience ;) ;) since you are only suposed to camp at or near the shelters in Harriman.

As for the parking, we've parked at Elk Pen lots of times for both day and overnight hikes. We've never had, seen, or heard of problems at that area. Of course it would be naive to think there never have been, follow all the usual precautions.

The Big J
11-01-2007, 22:41
We will be on the trail satuday morning shooting for the shelter on the long path. If we have to stop short we will be able to. Thanks for the help fellow White Blazers. Maybe I will see you and your sheperd. Man my pack is heavy compared to hers ( sara ). I hope sara enoys hiking!