PDA

View Full Version : Shorts with built in underwear good or bad for thru hiking?

Beerandpotatoes
10-31-2007, 17:34
What I have now are a pair of really great fitting very lightweight running shorts with built in tight fitting synthetic underwear. The underwear work great when running and also when hiking, but they get stinky and gross pretty quickly on the trail. For hygiene issues, I'm considering cutting out the built in underwear and instead using the running shorts in conjunction with something like the Smartwool microweight boxer briefs or a pair of silk boxers (don't know if I'll be able to find any that are tight fitting though, silk doesn't seem to be a stretchy fabric).
Seems like such a tight fitting odor trap of the built in synthetic underwear is just asking to give me some rash on a hike longer than a few days.

I was wondering, what are the hygienic and practical issues you've all found with tighter underwear vs looser underwear on a thru hike? Does the added airyness of loose underwear make them more hygienic or is it not worth it because of chaffing/rubbing? Also, are odor resistant materials like silk or merino wool more hygienic to use? Merino and silk both are pretty odor resistant, in my experience, but I don't know if that means that they are also bacteria and fungus resistant?

Appalachian Tater
10-31-2007, 17:39
The big question is underwear or commando. You seemed to have already decided to wear underwear.

Worry more about chafing than odor or bacteria. Crotch odor is more likely to come from the bacteria on the suface of your skin than those on your underwear. Pick whichever type will cause less chafing.

max patch
10-31-2007, 17:39
I wore a pair of patagonia shorts w/built in mesh liner and had no problems. Shorts lasted the whole way, also.

I wear swimming trunks now with the same type of liner.

Footslogger
10-31-2007, 17:41
I was wondering, what are the hygienic and practical issues you've all found with tighter underwear vs looser underwear on a thru hike? Does the added airyness of loose underwear make them more hygienic or is it not worth it because of chaffing/rubbing? Also, are odor resistant materials like silk or merino wool more hygienic to use? Merino and silk both are pretty odor resistant, in my experience, but I don't know if that means that they are also bacteria and fungus resistant?

=========================================

What I found was that perspiration over time turned into evaporated salt on the surface of my skin and led to major chafe ...so bad that I almost had to get off the trail at one point during my thru in 2003.

I started off with the same sort of short you described but ended up cutting the mesh liner short out of them. For me it was better to free ball and avoid the friction.

'Slogger

ChinMusic
10-31-2007, 17:42
I prefer either merino wool (Icebreaker) underwear or synthetic (Under Armor boxers-long). I do not like anything loose and would not think a combination underwear/shorts to be a good idea.

I was surprised at the comfort of the merino wool and have not had any chafing on multi-day trips.

I don't know whether I would like the Under Armor or Icebreakers for a thru as I have not been out for more than a week.

Beerandpotatoes
10-31-2007, 17:48
I do not like anything loose and would not think a combination underwear/shorts to be a good idea.

So you mean you just wear the underwear without the shorts?

ChinMusic
10-31-2007, 17:52
So you mean you just wear the underwear without the shorts?
I prefer regular boxers (long) and hiking shorts/pants. I tend to wear pants even when it is hot.

If I had to pick one I would go with Under Armor boxers-long. The longer length (mid thigh) prevents them from "riding up".

take-a-knee
10-31-2007, 18:55
I vote also for the underarmor boxers and REI nylon zipoff pants. You can wear the pants commando in camp and launder the boxers and your extra tee shirt.

Blissful
10-31-2007, 20:06
Or wear a kilt. My hubby did that as he has chafing issues.

Footslogger
10-31-2007, 21:10
Or wear a kilt. My hubby did that as he has chafing issues.

========================================

That's what I ended up doing while the chafing subsided. Then I went back to the shorts ...sans liner

'Slogger

High Altitude
11-01-2007, 00:23
I always wear running shorts with the liners. I have not had any problems with chafe. I take two and every couple days on the trail I rinse one out while wearing the other.

stranger
11-05-2007, 01:32
I've seen grown men almost cry as a result of chaffing, I hightly recommend wearing synthetic tight fitting boxers that go to about your mid thigh. If skin isn't rubbing against skin you can't get irritated! And this is from someone who isn't heavy, I wouldn't underestimate this trail issue.

Doctari
11-05-2007, 08:40
Whatever you decide at home, be prepared to change on the trail. AND, be prepared to change again (& again & again, etc).

I wear a kilt when hiking. Have tried: nylon shorts w underwear*, nylon shorts wo underwear, cotton shorts with & without, & a kilt wo undies. I'll never do a long hike wearing shorts again. YMMV!

*Underwear I have tried: cotton: boxers, boxer briefs, bikini, tidy whities, nylon bikini. Nothing has worked.

clured
11-05-2007, 10:34
If you can do the kint-commando thing, more power to you; but whenever I go out with some kind of liner my boys get chafed to pulp on the side of my leg. It seems that some people get chafed by the liner, others get chafed by the skin without the liner. Experiment.

Footslogger
11-05-2007, 11:39
If you can do the kint-commando thing, more power to you; but whenever I go out with some kind of liner my boys get chafed to pulp on the side of my leg. It seems that some people get chafed by the liner, others get chafed by the skin without the liner. Experiment.

============================================

...and carry wet wipes and a small tube of zinc oxide (or Desitin) just in case !!

'Slogger

Chainsaw 08
11-06-2007, 10:18
Coompression shorts or a jockstrap.

I don't like the loose feeling of commando, and I chafe with liners. Compressions can be worn around camp a little bit (esp if you have a large T-shirt). Jocks are nice in summer heat.

Webs
11-06-2007, 10:29
I just substitute an extra pair or two of underwear instead of an extra pair of shorts....It's much less lighter, and I feel much cleaner. Anything to keep away those nasty illnesses that pop up from bad hygiene!

Hurley
11-06-2007, 23:32
I've always just worn a pair of board shorts, like a bathing suit, but with no liner. Also, no underwear. Board shorts are obviously meant to get wet and will dry extremely fast. back in high school, I would skip class to go surf. Beach was about 15 minutes away. By the time I got back the shorts would be dry. I don't see the point of wearing underwear on the trail as a guy. Just one more thing to bring along that will smell like all hell at the end of a day.

warraghiyagey
11-07-2007, 05:19
Try the shorts with the mesh liners. Support for all entities concerned but open to lots of air flow. I've never had chaffing or the area get more unkempt than the rest of the shorts. Plus it is justifiably commando and justifiably underwear.:) :)

WILLIAM HAYES
11-07-2007, 21:09
Stopped using underwear on the trail several years ago --no chaffing and my privates felt much better swinging in the wind

PorkChop
12-26-2007, 22:01
I too get more chaffing from my legs inner thighs rubbing together or my boxers rubbing my inner thighs. Sometimes even in between my cheeks (as gross and weird as that sounds). I got some of the new under armor boxers but i think the medium length... should i try those or go get the long ones?

What about smell too? i've never really tried to smell my junk or never really noticed it. then again, i've always just worn regular loose boxers. will tight boxer briefs be smellier?

bigboots
12-26-2007, 22:18
Stopped using underwear on the trail several years ago --no chaffing and my privates felt much better swinging in the wind

My boys agree! It's commando all the way. I (and they) like the air flow and have never had a problem with chaffing. (although I will change if things change along the way) Can't be uncomfortable down there, makes one really bad hike.

Bigboots

Tinker
12-26-2007, 23:13
You can grease up those free-rolling bearings with some Body Glide. The stuff works. It won't fix things after they go bad, though. If you do a nightly wipe with baby wipes you may be able to keep ahead of the bacteria which cause the rashes. Whatever you do, don't use alcohol-based antibacterial wipes or lotions once you get tender. The BURN is unbelievable. One day on a section hike it got so bad that I kept the Campsuds in the side pocket of my pack and washed every time I came to a water source (away and downhill from the trail, of course).

Reader's Digest answer - I tried all kinds of liners (open and tightly knit) and long and short, tight and loose underwear of all fabric persuasions, and gave up on them. On day hikes or overnighters, however I sometimes use polyester briefs, but only when it isn't too hot.

take-a-knee
12-26-2007, 23:18
Underarmor boxers, 2 pair, keep 'em clean, or at least rinse the salt from the sweat out of them.

JAK
12-27-2007, 00:29
I think its almost always better to separate the two layers for more versatility. Also, best not to have any two of the same thing, but to have different layers that can be worn in different combinations or all at once. It is manageable to have one pair of cotton flannel boxers. Wool boxers can be made from long underwear.

rasudduth
12-27-2007, 01:40
Most people go commando on the AT. Guys tend to gravitate towards kilts or the Mountain Hardwear kilt. For running shorts most people cut out the liner - just check to see what kind of elastic band is underneath. When I cut off my liner on trail with just my knife I learned that there was elastic underneath that rubbed my skin raw. So I just wore my running shorts inside out at that point. When you are thruhiking in the ridiculous summer heat you will want to go commando.

take-a-knee
12-27-2007, 01:54
Most people go commando on the AT. Guys tend to gravitate towards kilts or the Mountain Hardwear kilt. For running shorts most people cut out the liner - just check to see what kind of elastic band is underneath. When I cut off my liner on trail with just my knife I learned that there was elastic underneath that rubbed my skin raw. So I just wore my running shorts inside out at that point. When you are thruhiking in the ridiculous summer heat you will want to go commando.

Works for some, simply not an option for others. Some peoples' actual thighs rub together when they walk. Without covering that skin with something slick those folks wind up with a bloody mess, I've seen it in the Army. The guys who trained properly before they went to SF training quickly found this out and wore bicycle shorts way back when 'cause that is all we had 25 years ago.

Powder River
01-03-2008, 21:23
I can't vouch for this but my brother is in the Army and he says all the guys wear pantyhose when on long missions. He said this is especially true of the Army Rangers.

Me, I'll try out all the other options thank you

WalkingStick75
01-03-2008, 22:29
Save the weight, save the boys and go commando.

CaptChaos
01-06-2008, 00:27
Hi Everyone:

My vote is to forget the underware. I made a mistake once and went from Cades Cove Ranger station to Spence Field and the next morning if felt like someone had taken sandpaper to me.

Until you have enjoyed the intense pain of jungle rot yourself you just can't explain what it is like. From that point on almost 10 years ago I no longer wear underware when I go backpacking.

I would also suggest a very small bottle of powder just in case so that you can keep things dry.

Capt Chaos :o

the_iceman
01-06-2008, 18:38
no underwear. Wore these every day no chaffing. Took two pair. Kept one clean and put it on after my shower then did laundry so I rotated. Used Columbia "water shorts" Made it to Maine and I still wear them.

Get body glide, it works for foot blisters as well. Did not need it for chaffing.

Nightwalker
01-06-2008, 22:07
I currently carry 2 bathing suits and rinse them out 1 at a time. Works for me.

I've also been known to carry cargo shorts and compression shorts underneath. Then I only need a spare set of compression shorts on hand to rotate.

Shorts and socks are the only spare clothes that I carry. Everything else isn't a real problem, or else I have something else that can do double-duty.

It should also be noted that, though I have thousands of total trail miles, I've never done a thru hike. I can't imagine that my issues and their issues would be identical.