PDA

View Full Version : Youth, Hormones, and Hiking

Dakota Dan
10-31-2007, 20:19
Note that this is in the HUMOR DEPT. Since my nephew has gotten me to agree to taking him on a thru-hike, to which I am slightly warm to the notion, he has now expanded things. He is gone thru several stages since the initial talk of a thru-hike, to a YO-YO of the AT to now doing a "TRIPLE CROWN". I am as of now putting him up for ADOPTION. I can't get him to concentrate on a regular thru-hike without this junk. KIDS..YOU CAN'T BEAT EM....?? What can you do....? What can you tell him....?

Marta
10-31-2007, 20:22
Tell him big boys have to do the Triple Crown on their own.

Either that, or make sure he knows that he has to carry most of the stuff while you're hiking with him.

It's like handicapping horses--figure out the weight differential at which you can hike the same speed and mileage, and make sure he's carrying that much more than you are.

Spirit Walker
10-31-2007, 20:32
Tell him you'll be happy to talk about a yoyo once you get to Monson. Tell him to put off the triple crown until he's successfully completed one full thruhike. Tell him to find out if he'll be one of the finishers of his first hike before he gets too ambitious.

Those of us who have hiked a bit tend to laugh at those that have never hiked more than a weekend who start out saying, "I'm going for the Triple Crown." A few do manage to do what they intend but a large number never make it past Fontana. Long distance hiking is not as easy as you might think. Especially for the young, who tend to get bored with hiking day after day after day after day.

Dakota Dan
10-31-2007, 20:56
Tell him you'll be happy to talk about a yoyo once you get to Monson. .

Might be able to discuss it once we get to Neels Gap, scratch that, Woody Gap, much less Monson.

warraghiyagey
11-01-2007, 04:18
Tell him doing the triple crown starts with doing one. Until that's accomplished you're free from considering the next 'steps' if you will.

shelterbuilder
11-01-2007, 07:07
... KIDS..YOU CAN'T BEAT EM....?? What can you do....? What can you tell him....?

Tell him to take LOTS of nice pictures so you can see them when HE gets back!

gsingjane
11-01-2007, 07:12
I think that's fantastic! My daughter is exactly the same way, she is always full of amazing plans, like she is going to organize and sponsor a giant trail race near our house, or thru-hike, or train for a marathon, or save all her money and buy a motor scooter, or some other great thing. She's 13 and it must be the age. I never laugh or point out some of the obvious drawbacks or difficulties associated with her ideas, I just offer to help in any way I can, and wait until the next Big Plan comes up...

Jane in CT

Bootstrap
11-01-2007, 08:37
Note that this is in the HUMOR DEPT. Since my nephew has gotten me to agree to taking him on a thru-hike, to which I am slightly warm to the notion, he has now expanded things. He is gone thru several stages since the initial talk of a thru-hike, to a YO-YO of the AT to now doing a "TRIPLE CROWN". I am as of now putting him up for ADOPTION. I can't get him to concentrate on a regular thru-hike without this junk. KIDS..YOU CAN'T BEAT EM....?? What can you do....? What can you tell him....?

"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" - Robert Browning

soulrebel
11-01-2007, 10:50
Start by telling him to wash/wax your car, lay some pinestraw, do your taxes, clean the kitchen, goto the PO...when he asks why you keep making him do all this...Tell him you've gotta start saving now to take off all that time then...

Jim Adams
11-01-2007, 10:53
tell him to rite often!

geek

Dakota Dan
11-04-2007, 13:50
JR has read everyones post and I think he may be getting the picture to at least shut-up about adventures beyond. In his MIND he's probably just finished the yo-yo and the triple crown and is now somewhere in the Himalaya's with a cute Sherpa girl.

Lyle
11-04-2007, 14:23
Hey, come on, I dream of doing the triple crown. Count your blessings that you have someone who wants to go out with you. Reality will set in soon enough, then you'll know if you need to quit your job permanently or just take a six month leave. If he's still dreaming at Monson, then you will probably no longer be the deciding factor for him anyway. He'll get his HS or College buddies/gfs to join him. Enjoy this while you can.

By the way, how old is he? Some folks on Whiteblaze are planning their own thru's at 16. Once he has this hike with you under his belt, he may just decide to go without you for the rest of them.

Dakota Dan
11-04-2007, 14:45
...By the way, how old is he? .......Once he has this hike with you under his belt, he may just decide to go without you for the rest of them.

He's 18 going on 40.

I've only, reluctantly may I add, signed up for the AT hike, so, for the "rest of them", He WILL go without me. I'll make a good re-supply clerk for him should he decide to further his adventures. I'll also be glad to be "Best Man" at his wedding with the cute Sherpa girl. hehe

Ashman
11-05-2007, 16:42
Sorry if this is off topic but what is a Triple Crown? I assume a thru hike on the AT coupled with two other equally daunting tasks of daring?

Lone Wolf
11-05-2007, 16:44
Sorry if this is off topic but what is a Triple Crown? I assume a thru hike on the AT coupled with two other equally daunting tasks of daring?

thru-hiking the AT, CDT and PCT. the 3 longest trails in the U.S.

maxNcathy
11-05-2007, 17:07
Is the Continental Divide Trail longer and harder than the Pacific Crest Trail?

Has B. Jack hiked either of the Trails above?

Personally i don't think I would hike well in hot dry areas or areas above 8000 feet altitude.

Mags
11-05-2007, 19:40
Is the Continental Divide Trail longer and harder than the Pacific Crest Trail?

Has B. Jack hiked either of the Trails above?

Personally i don't think I would hike well in hot dry areas or areas above 8000 feet altitude.

Longer? Who knows. I've heard as little as 2500 (with maps and guidebooks that are suspect in terms of accurate mileage) to as high as 3100 (which I really doubt)

Call is the same length as the PCT or ~2600-2700 miles. Of course, you can split the difference and call it 2800. So, as I said, who knows. ;)

The PCT is actually easier than the other two trails in some ways (AT and CDT) due to the grade. Harder than the AT in other ways.

The CDT was overall the most difficult of the three trails imo. Others may disagreee.

All in all, each of the three trails are wonderful, beautiful and rewarding in their own way.

Dakota Dan
11-05-2007, 19:51
Thanks Mags for the info. I remember looking at some Elev. Profiles of the three several yrs ago. From what I remember the CDT was not at 100% completion but the stuff I looked at showed the CDT as a pretty awesome hike. I always thought the PCT, with the Sierras in the middle and deserts to the South, would put it over the top as far as comparing it with the AT. Can you elaborate on the points you spoke of in comparing the AT with the PCT?

pitdog
11-05-2007, 19:54
Support his ideas and his dreams.Hopefully he will have the time of his life.

Dakota Dan
11-05-2007, 23:09
Support his ideas and his dreams.Hopefully he will have the time of his life.

I 100% (100$#@%) support him. But it's tough keeping the kid on track and in-tune. He's got to understand that there's a no-turning back point, and we're getting pretty darn close to it, I'd say Xmas day will be too late to change minds. I'm sure it's fun talking about the trip to friends, but it's kinda serious business. A LOT of stuff has to happen between now and ASP. He's got to break in those very stiff boots, along with another pair of backup boots too, got to get moving. He's looking at trail-shoes for backups.

As stated earlier we're traveling together, but either one of us can go solo if the other leaves the trail. Sharing a stove, each will carry a single person tent, one first aid, etc. Ones pack may be a little heavier if one of us leaves, but if I get started, I'll not stop till BSP. He knows if the old man shows him up, he's toast. He's got it a heck of a lot better than I did 30 yrs ago, I was just like him. If not for parents/grandparents to help I would have been SOL. I take the pre-planning and training seriously. We're going on a long weekender as soon as the weather gets colder and nastier. I thinking about a trip from Wayah Bald(begin at the park at base of mtn) to Stecoah Gap, coming out of NOC will give him something to chat with his friends about. But, I don't want either one of us to repeat a section so soon before an attempt. So, I'll come up with another trail, maybe go up to Elijay, or maybe even up toward Pisgah NF to do Cold Mtn. Remember JR(you better be reading this), XMAS EVE will be the DAY of NO TURNING BACK. So, Turn back now, before I spend too much money.

Mags
11-06-2007, 11:01
I always thought the PCT, with the Sierras in the middle and deserts to the South, would put it over the top as far as comparing it with the AT. Can you elaborate on the points you spoke of in comparing the AT with the PCT?

Well, the AT tends to have steeper grades and rockier trail. The weather, overall tends to be worse. ( I setup my tarp only 7 times on the PCT in 4+ mos!)

The PCT is nicely switchbacked with great grades. The desert hiking can be tough, but not overy so. Like anything else, it is all about adaptation.

The Sierra CAN be very difficult in a high snow year for sure. If you do the High Sierra during the normal hiking time (July - even early October), the snow is gone and there is no extreme challenge.

The difficulty of the PCT can be the logistics. Mileage between water sources, mileage between towns. Psychologically gearing yourself up for consistent 20 MPD, etc. To a person used to the AT (where 15+ MPD is considered "high" rather than on the low side as well as the frequent town stops as an option), the pace and distance of the PCT may take some getting used to.

The short hand answer I usually give:

AT = Physically more difficult than the PCT, logisitically easier
PCT = Physically easier than the AT, logistically more difficult

In the end, none of the trails are "easy" and each poses its unique challenges...as well as the wonder, beauty and great experiences mentioned earlier.

Sorry for the thread drift. :)

pitdog
11-06-2007, 11:27
For me, learning was half of the experience.Just make sure to break those boots in.Happy trails.

weary
11-06-2007, 11:54
Tell him you'll be happy to talk about a yoyo once you get to Monson. Tell him to put off the triple crown until he's successfully completed one full thruhike. Tell him to find out if he'll be one of the finishers of his first hike before he gets too ambitious.

Those of us who have hiked a bit tend to laugh at those that have never hiked more than a weekend who start out saying, "I'm going for the Triple Crown." A few do manage to do what they intend but a large number never make it past Fontana. Long distance hiking is not as easy as you might think. Especially for the young, who tend to get bored with hiking day after day after day after day.
Once on a 300 mile "extended family" walk a 17-year-old grand nephew on his first backpack announced he was into weight training and that he could easily carry 100 pounds. We loaded him down with 40 pounds of community gear. He carried it about a half mile and then dumped it all on the rest of us.

Weary

Slosteppin
11-09-2007, 10:03
thru-hiking the AT, CDT and PCT. the 3 longest trails in the U.S.

Not really. The North Country Trail, at about 4600 miles, is longer than any one of those 3 trails. Not many have thru hiked the NCT.

Slosteppin

Lone Wolf
11-09-2007, 10:05
it's not part of the triple crown

Lyle
11-09-2007, 11:45
LW, Slosteppin was just pointing out that the AT, CDT and PCT were not the three longest hiking trails in the US. You are right, they are the three that are considered the "Triple Crown".

Nightwalker
11-10-2007, 05:33
LW, Slosteppin was just pointing out that the AT, CDT and PCT were not the three longest hiking trails in the US. You are right, they are the three that are considered the "Triple Crown".

I think they are also the only three designated as "National Scenic Trails." Is that correct?

Dakota Dan
11-10-2007, 13:52
This is Sat, Nov 10, 2007. JR and I were to have done a weekender, leaving EARLY this morning and driving up to SC and doing a section of the FHT. Hiking a ways and trying out some new gear, etc. Seems JR stayed out a little late last night and just doesn't feel up to a hike. Chicken Crap Nephew.

As of now talk or planning of a Thru-hike attempt is no longer on the table. I've already spent a good bit of money and time to the idea of trying another Thru-hike at this time in my life. I am throughly ticked off. I will not mention any hiking activity to him anymore. It's not like I HAVEN'T been warning him every day about this weekends hike and to be READY to leave out early this morning. DD out.

mudhead
11-10-2007, 13:55
You should have gone solo. He may need to do his own thing.

Lyle
11-10-2007, 14:16
Nightwalker,

No, actually there are 8 National Scenic Trails:

AT
PCT
CDT
NCT
Ice Age Trail
Florida National Scenic Trail
The Natchez Trace
Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail

Dakota Dan
11-10-2007, 14:17
You should have gone solo. He may need to do his own thing.

I'm not the one who wanted to do any hiking in the first place. I was basically doing the weekender for his benefit. To help him break in boots, get a little experience, etc. If I was going to do a thru-hike I'd just go and start, starting real slow,no doubt, and build my legs and speed up thru Ga and NC. I have plenty of broken-in and durable boots that will take me there, and that would be my biggest concern in starting a thru-hike. If I had new boots to break in, and where doing a thru-hike, I most definitely would make sure the footwear was right before I did any long hike. I may find someone to do some short trips with, but right now I really ticked off at my chicken-crap nephew.

mudhead
11-10-2007, 14:22
I meant this weekend. Seems like good enough weather, compared to what we have up here in the tundra.

I avoided the woods for about 10 yrs because "it was someone else's idea."

Lyle
11-10-2007, 14:28
Dakota Dan,

I understand you're anger and disappointment. My advice is to take a few days to cool down. Explain you feelings and reasons for them to your nephew, then go from there. Personally, I wouldn't completely slam the door shut.

Keep in mind that young men his age are impulsive and often don't see the value in planning and preparing, they are invincible, so anything they decide to do is doable at a moment's notice. Maybe this won't work out, if the two of you can't come to terms, but it's early yet, so there is still plenty of time for a final decision.

Maybe you need to consider whether or not you really want to go on a thru. Probably won't work if you're just going for him.

As I tell most new folks who undertake something like this, don't make any important decisions in haste.

Best of luck in making the right choices.

Dakota Dan
11-10-2007, 14:28
I meant this weekend. Seems like good enough weather, compared to what we have up here in the tundra.

I avoided the woods for about 10 yrs because "it was someone else's idea."

The weather is absolutely beautiful here in the state of GA. No doubt it would be nicer on the trail.

rafe
11-10-2007, 15:43
This is Sat, Nov 10, 2007. JR and I were to have done a weekender, leaving EARLY this morning and driving up to SC and doing a section of the FHT. Hiking a ways and trying out some new gear, etc. Seems JR stayed out a little late last night and just doesn't feel up to a hike. Chicken Crap Nephew.

Speakin' of nephews.... my sister's son is at our house, paying us a visit from Hawaii and joining us for our annual "Novemberfest" bash. Daniel walked with me between Rangeley and Caratunk. I tried to talk him into doing thru hike (on his own, not with me) and though he toyed with the idea a bit, it never happened. Here's a photo of Daniel doing the double-bird on Avery Peak. :D I'm hoping to do a quick hike up Mt. Monadnock with him on Monday, if the weather cooperates. But getting him out of bed on time will be a challenge...

mudhead
11-10-2007, 20:07
Too nice a spot to be birding.

EWS
11-11-2007, 00:29

As of now talk or planning of a Thru-hike attempt is no longer on the table. I've already spent a good bit of money and time to the idea of trying another Thru-hike at this time in my life. I am throughly ticked off. I will not mention any hiking activity to him anymore. It's not like I HAVEN'T been warning him every day about this weekends hike and to be READY to leave out early this morning. DD out.

I'm not the one who wanted to do any hiking in the first place. I was basically doing the weekender for his benefit. To help him break in boots, get a little experience, etc. If I was going to do a thru-hike I'd just go and start, starting real slow,no doubt, and build my legs and speed up thru Ga and NC. I have plenty of broken-in and durable boots that will take me there, and that would be my biggest concern in starting a thru-hike. If I had new boots to break in, and where doing a thru-hike, I most definitely would make sure the footwear was right before I did any long hike. I may find someone to do some short trips with, but right now I really ticked off at my chicken-crap nephew.

I'm not attacking you but this is my opinion and observation: It is weak on his part for not getting out of bed, and on yours for playing god and calling it off. You got out of the hike like you wanted though, and it sounds like the chances of you actually completing the hike were none. He can still do the hike on his own, he doesn't need your help, it is just hiking, and I hope he does.

Jarhead16
11-11-2007, 01:48
I 100% support him. But it's tough keeping the kid on track and in-tune. He's got to understand that there's a no-turning back point, and we're getting pretty darn close to it, I'd say Xmas day will be too late to change minds. I'm sure it's fun talking about the trip to friends, but it's kinda serious business. A LOT of stuff has to happen between now and ASP. He's got to break in those very stiff boots, along with another pair of backup boots too, got to get moving. He's looking at trail-shoes for backups.

As stated earlier we're traveling together, but either one of us can go solo if the other leaves the trail. Sharing a stove, each will carry a single person tent, one first aid, etc. Ones pack may be a little heavier if one of us leaves, but if I get started, I'll not stop till BSP. He knows if the old man shows him up, he's toast. He's got it a heck of a lot better than I did 30 yrs ago, I was just like him. If not for parents/grandparents to help I would have been SOL. I take the pre-planning and training seriously. We're going on a long weekender as soon as the weather gets colder and nastier. I thinking about a trip from Wayah Bald(begin at the park at base of mtn) to Stecoah Gap, coming out of NOC will give him something to chat with his friends about. But, I don't want either one of us to repeat a section so soon before an attempt. So, I'll come up with another trail, maybe go up to Elijay, or maybe even up toward Pisgah NF to do Cold Mtn. Remember JR(you better be reading this), XMAS EVE will be the DAY of NO TURNING BACK. So, Turn back now, before I spend too much money.

Hey JR, don't let anybody hold you back, but don't jump the gun. I've been planning my thru for 4 months, and I'm not starting until 2009! Just cover all the bases. Oh, and did I mention, I'm only 16.:D

Uncle Silly
11-11-2007, 01:50
I'm not attacking you but this is my opinion and observation: It is weak on his part for not getting out of bed, and on yours for playing god and calling it off.

That's not "playing god"; that's "throwing a tantrum". :D

Jarhead16
11-11-2007, 01:57
That's not "playing god"; that's "throwing a tantrum". :D

And who doesn't like a good tantrum every now and then:eek:

Dakota Dan
11-11-2007, 14:02
I guess I shouldn't mind planning a weekend outing, packing up, checking out the car, canceling any plans for the weekend. Not to mention the planning involved or the spending of money on food, etc. Especially when you where assured less than 20 hrs earlier the trip was definitely on. I've lost all confidence and figured he never really wanted to do thru-hike anyway. He just needs to get a comfortable chair, a computer, and hike in cyberspace.

Also, I tried to encourage JR to get some friends together to do a thru. I'd be support at home base. But, NOOoooooooo, he had to have me go. After all, I'd been promising him I'd do it once he got out of HS. Well, I guess I spooked him by doing a lot of research, gear shopping, etc. Then he got afraid he may actually have do some real work.....like walking thru the woods of 14 states with a heavy pack on. I really don't think its going to happen.

Dakota Dan
11-11-2007, 14:28
To continue... Instead of redoing the AT, I think I'll do a Triple Crown.

3 shots of Crown Royal !!