PDA

View Full Version : Fall 2007 Mount Rogers Outfitters Hostel problems

Overpass
10-31-2007, 22:55
Just FYI to folks thinking of staying at the MRO hostel:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=210472

This is not the first time that this "Wally" person, who is employed by MRO, has removed/messed with hiker's gear at the hostel while the hiker was absent.

Caveat emptor.

Lone Wolf
10-31-2007, 23:09
god is working on the problem. be patient

rafe
10-31-2007, 23:15
I read the diary entry. ISTM Wally may have acted with good intentions here. And it also appears that Jeff did what he could to address the situation. (I wonder if Jeff offered to reimburse Obie's charges at the B&B?)

Pacific Tortuga
10-31-2007, 23:18
god is working on the problem. be patient

Amen & pass the plate.

Lone Wolf
10-31-2007, 23:21
I read the diary entry. ISTM Wally may have acted with good intentions here.

uh, no. just like the guy in the thread that tried to abduct the woman in maine. you'd be a typical liberal scumbag defense lawyer. with the obligatory ponytail. wally *****s with people. simple

rafe
10-31-2007, 23:53
uh, no. just like the guy in the thread that tried to abduct the woman in maine. you'd be a typical liberal scumbag defense lawyer. with the obligatory ponytail. wally *****s with people. simple

Odd role reversal here. I don't know Wally. Or Jeff.

I'm aware of the ongoing saga. My comments were based strictly on Obie's account. Obie showed up late. His pack was not where he wanted it to be, but it was safe. Jeff opened up the store and produced the pack. I'm not sure how to deduce -- from Obie's account -- that Wally acted in malice. OK?

Tennessee Viking
11-01-2007, 00:02
Never had any problems there. Though i never used the hostel. The outfitters have always let me park at their place for free since I am a local maintainer.

EWS
11-01-2007, 01:05
I think I'll stay there to avoid the major whiners.

Jack Tarlin
11-01-2007, 02:26
I just read the Trailjournals account of this allegedly horrible episode.

There's lots of stuff missing.........such as:

Nowhere in the Trailjournals account, and I mean NOWHERE does it say or indicate that stuff or property was removed from a reserved or locked or paid-for room, which you think might have been mentioned. So I have to wonder.....was this personal private hiker stuff taken out of a locked room that a hiker had reserved and paid for, or was it just loose gear left in the hostel that nobody knew anything about?

This gets back to my mentioning a few days ago that whenever there's some stupid-ass hiker beef, there's usually Side A, Side B, and then there's Side C, which is generally the true version of events that nobody ever hears about.

Just so there's no mistake here......I'm not a blanket apologist for MRO or anywhere else, but in that this thread was stareted by Overpass, who clearly
has a hair up his ass regarding this place, I'm really curious about this guy who had his property allegedly tampered with at the hostel.

I'm really curious.

Was someone's property taken out of a reserved or paid for room?

Or did some hiker just leave his stuff by the sofa thinking he could get it anytime he wanted regardless of where he was staying that night?

There's probably more here than meets the eye and I suggest people take Overpass' obvious agenda and table it til they know more.

It would seem that some people, with an obvious chip on their shoulder for whatever reason, are using this to beat Wally and MRO to death again.

I suggest that people pause, count to ten, and keep an open mind.

Even YOU, Overpass.......

Your little vendatta here is geting ridiculous.

If you really care about this, put your name on it.

--Jack Tarlin
Hanover NH

warraghiyagey
11-01-2007, 02:43
My thoughts were probably best summed up when Jack mentioned side C.

rickb
11-01-2007, 07:08
I'm really curious.

Was someone's property taken out of a reserved or paid for room?

Or did some hiker just leave his stuff by the sofa thinking he could get it anytime he wanted regardless of where he was staying that night?

Since you are curious....

I think a careful reading makes it clear that the hiker arrived at the hostel when no one was there, with the intention of securing a room and then heading off for a slackpack.

At that point the hiker took a chance. He left his pack and went on his hike rather than taking his pack with him, or perhaps smatter still leaving a note or otherwise connecting with MRO in advance.

Looks like when Wally found the pack he made a desision, too. He had the pack locked up for the night where it would be inaccessible to a returning hiker.

That was one choice, and perhaps the best one. Or pehaps not. To my way of thinking, a service provider might better not lock up a pack for the night in such situations. YMMV.

The Old Fhart
11-01-2007, 07:12
......"we left a bunch of my gear (sleeping bag, clothes, food, etc) at the hostel across from the outfitter. No one was there (at the hostel) at the time. But the guys at MRO were the coolest, most laid-back, willing-to-help-you people I have run into in quite some time, so I assumed everything was fine."So some hiker leaves some gear in the common area of Dave's Place without permission or telling anyone that he's doing that, the gear is found and moved to a secure location(the store) to see if anyone will later claim it, ("Ok, maybe he thought he was protecting my stuff "), or if it was just dumped there, and this is somehow sinister.:rolleyes:

I'd say everything was done by the book and you conspiracy theorists need to get a life.

Gray Blazer
11-01-2007, 07:24
Time for the spinmeisters to take over. Nothing maliceifical in the journal entry imo.

MOWGLI
11-01-2007, 08:06
So some hiker leaves some gear in the common area of Dave's Place without permission or telling anyone that he's doing that, the gear is found and moved to a secure location(the store) to see if anyone will later claim it, ("Ok, maybe he thought he was protecting my stuff "), or if it was just dumped there, and this is somehow sinister.:rolleyes:

I'd say everything was done by the book and you conspiracy theorists need to get a life.

Nice to agree with Old Fhart for a change.

Lone Wolf
11-01-2007, 08:13
I read the diary entry. ISTM Wally may have acted with good intentions here. And it also appears that Jeff did what he could to address the situation. (I wonder if Jeff offered to reimburse Obie's charges at the B&B?)

wally could have EASILY called tom or jeff and have them come and open up the store to get the guys stuff

soulrebel
11-01-2007, 10:02
I read all these stupid threads on Wally. I've met Wally and who gives a flying F about this situation.

Doesn't anybody know how to handle their business anymore?

1. You either walk away and forgettaboutit

2. You kick the chit out of the other person -possibly goto jail-possibly get a pat on the back

3. Or you drink more beer till it makes you laugh...

4. Or the easiest--a quick exchange of several "F U's" louder and louder each time is always fun--then walk away..

but you definately don't CRY about chit like this...

What are we men or we mice?

P.s.--I love MRO--BEST MUtha030398 OUtfitter on the trail! PERIOD.. I'll even SAY that their STORE is the BEST OUTFItter I've ever been too BAR NONE..

I'll never quit MRO or JEFF--one of the coolest cats you'll ever be lucky enough to meet. So peeps that are placing blame on them b/c they've got a retard for hire as a bus-driver. Calm the F-down and chalk it up to "local color/or lack thereof/deeper shade of red" Do you give the locals crap in Mexico because they can't spell Arkansas Baptist? Damascus,VA is about bacon it ain't CAli and avocados fool

p.s.s--end note--was telling my wifey about this situation her response. "If I were Wally, I'd f$#% with hikers too, because most of them are dumbasses!" 10 am Thurs LMAO

SGT Rock
11-01-2007, 11:34
Hey overpass, do you ever take a hint?