PDA

View Full Version : Clinch-Jefferson Forest High Knob Tower Destroyed by Arson

Tennessee Viking
10-31-2007, 23:34
This is not on the A.T., or any other big trail system. But it was one of the most popular hiking spots in SW Viriginia.

http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9003674
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Knob

On Oct. 31, 2007, High Knob Tower atop Stone Mountain in the Clinch Ranger District of the Jefferson National Forest, near Wise & Coeburn, VA, was set afire early Halloween morning. When Forest Service crews and local fire departments arrived on scene the tower was beyond being saved. Crews were able to keep the fire from spreading to the rest of the knob and forest.

High Knob Tower is one of the few remaining fire towers of the Appalachian Mountains. Built in 1938-39 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, the original structure was a 14'x14' wooden house. The current three-story structure was built by the Flatwoods Job Corps in 1978-79. High Knob's fire tower is listed in the National Historic Lookout Registry.

On a clear day, four other states used to be seen from the summit: West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and North Carolina.

MOWGLI
11-01-2007, 08:14
What a damn shame. :(

ed bell
11-01-2007, 08:59
Unbelievable. I hope the SOB's are caught.:mad:

Newb
11-01-2007, 09:07
That sucks! I've been there quite a few times. The whole Jefferson and Washington N. Forest system is, imo, stressed. I fish and camp near Harrisonburg quite a bit and the forest service roads are littered. The campsites are a shame anymore there's so much garbage left behind.

Pennsylvania Rose
11-01-2007, 11:44
Used to go there a couple of times a year when visiting my ex mil who lives in Cumberland, KY. Great views (if you could ignore the strip mining). What idiots.

wrongway_08
11-01-2007, 12:49
Shame, dam shame. You all know what I think should happen to this little punk..... so I dont need to say it....

expenditioner
11-01-2007, 14:09
used to be one of the best places to go to watch the sunset.Hope they catch the ones responsible and put their butts BELOW the jail!

BlackCloud
11-02-2007, 12:05
That was the absolute best place for a sunset within 3 hours of DC.

I'm sure it'll be some dumb local kids who will feel real bad, do some community service, etc.

We need to go to lashings, like Singapore. I've had it.:mad:

C Mart
11-02-2007, 12:23
Disappointing to say the very least, those responsible should be given the “community service” task of rebuilding it.

satchmo
11-02-2007, 14:30
That was the absolute best place for a sunset within 3 hours of DC.

I'm sure it'll be some dumb local kids who will feel real bad, do some community service, etc.

We need to go to lashings, like Singapore. I've had it.:mad:

You may be thinking of a different tower. We are at least 6 hrs from DC. It is at the at the beginning/end of the Benge scout trail. They also burned some bathrooms on down the road that night. I agree on the lashings. If anybody heads this way and wants to do some hiking give me a yell.

BlackCloud
11-02-2007, 19:47
You may be thinking of a different tower. We are at least 6 hrs from DC. It is at the at the beginning/end of the Benge scout trail. They also burned some bathrooms on down the road that night. I agree on the lashings. If anybody heads this way and wants to do some hiking give me a yell.

So this isn't the High Knob tower off Rt 33 at the WV state line west of Harrisonburg?

Clinch District means it's west of Abingdon isn't it? I've been to that one two. They both had the same base and I was, once again, easily confused.

Although still sorry for your loss, I'm relieved the one I was thinking of still stands........

Tennessee Viking
11-03-2007, 02:36
So this isn't the High Knob tower off Rt 33 at the WV state line west of Harrisonburg?

Clinch District means it's west of Abingdon isn't it? I've been to that one two. They both had the same base and I was, once again, easily confused.

Although still sorry for your loss, I'm relieved the one I was thinking of still stands........

I was the same. The Clinch Ranger High Knob Tower is outside of Wise and Coeburn VA in the Guest River section of the forest. This fire tower, the one that burned, was round 3 story tower.

The other High Knob tower is on the VA/WV line, I believe; on one of the future Great Eastern Trail legs. This one is a squared off tower.

expenditioner
11-03-2007, 11:58
hey Satchmo..let me know when you go hiking again..always got my pack ready and waiting to go.

satchmo
11-05-2007, 01:30
Heard today they know who did it. One is a lawyers son and the other is a judges son. But that is only talk around town for now. Haven't saw anything official saying that.

mtnkngxt
11-05-2007, 09:29
We've been hearing the same thing over at the college, any clue which Judge. I'd love to get my hands on the sob's before the police do. We all know they'll walk with some community service and a small restitution payment.