PDA

View Full Version : H.H. newbie

mozzie
11-01-2007, 01:09
hung around in ex.asy. a couple nights love it.its getting cool i plan on useing my exped 7 .has anyone ever damaged there no seeum with the edges of their mattres.how delicate is it.does anyone knw,any bad ending i should know about?

SGT Rock
11-01-2007, 08:31
You eally ought to go to www.hammockforums.net

jlb2012
11-01-2007, 08:40
the netting is fairly tough but the seams where the netting attaches to the rest of the hammock are a quality control problem for HH - these seams will pull out all too often - no big deal to stitch it back together but a minor annoyance. wrt the Exped 7 - don't inflate it all the way - leave it soft - otherwise there seams to be an issue with the pad developing leaks near the inflation valves when using it in a hammock - depending on how cold you are going you may want to put a CCF pad on top of the DAM - the DAM takes a fair bit of heat to warm up initially and you can be rather chilled while waiting for the DAM to warm up - putting the CCF pad on top reduces the rate at which heat is sucked out of your body to warm the DAM - strap the pads together or use a sleave like an SPE. Also recommend looking over the information over on hammockforums.net.

Fiddleback
11-01-2007, 10:58
The quality control issue of the netting seams is still an issue? I hadn't heard/read about such problems in a couple months...maybe longer.

FB

jlb2012
11-01-2007, 11:41
Well all I can say is that I have not bought a HH in recent times so I don't know if the netting seams is still an issue - I am just extrapolating from a couple years ago. So far I have bought 2 HH - one in 2000 and one in 2005 - both of them had the same issue.

ki0eh
11-01-2007, 16:06
My HH from beginning of 2007 had that issue too, tore on the first night. Hennessy replaced it... after a $10 mailing to Canada and two months. New one seems OK so far.

eric_plano
11-01-2007, 16:10
That's wild. I used mine for 2 months this year on the AT and had no probs with the netting

1azarus
11-01-2007, 16:48
... does sitting on the hammock in "camp chair" mode put the netting over the top, or otherwise overstress the hammock? i've done it, but always with a little worry...

CoyoteWhips
11-01-2007, 18:40
I managed to upset my hammock once and wound up lying on the netting. I was impressed that is held so well.

jlb2012
11-02-2007, 08:32
... does sitting on the hammock in "camp chair" mode put the netting over the top, or otherwise overstress the hammock? i've done it, but always with a little worry...

I don't think there is much to worry about but if you are concerned put a 'biner or other removable link in the ridge line - when using the hammock as a chair just disconnect the ridge line - much more comfortable to sit in without the ridge line in the middle of your back and also less stress on the netting.

BillyBob58
11-02-2007, 09:50
I managed to upset my hammock once and wound up lying on the netting. I was impressed that is held so well.

First night in a hammock at 22*(Sept06), I thrashed so hard trying to get zipped up in my mummy bag that I ended up partly in the netting, which I discovered when I woke up shivering. I have often wondered if my netting is a bit looser and harder to control as a result, but no obvious damage that I have ever been able to detect.

SGT Rock
11-02-2007, 09:58
The only HH net I ever damaged was when I stuck my arm through it trying to get out of it during a mortar attack. I sewed it up and have had no problems with it since then.

Cannibal
11-02-2007, 10:19
The only HH net I ever damaged was when I stuck my arm through it trying to get out of it during a mortar attack.

OK, who can top that one?!? :D

Fiddleback
11-02-2007, 10:24
The only HH net I ever damaged was when I stuck my arm through it trying to get out of it during a mortar attack. I sewed it up and have had no problems with it since then.

Man! The AT has changed since I was last on it!!!:D

FB
-- thanks SGT Rock