Tin Man
11-01-2007, 07:45
See article...

http://www.mountainzone.com/how-to-articles/viewarticle.asp?aid=912&sid=1

shelterbuilder
11-01-2007, 08:09
See article...

http://www.mountainzone.com/how-to-articles/viewarticle.asp?aid=912&sid=1

Good article - lots of reasonable thoughts here.

I've had more problems over the years with the LEO variety of rangers, but I think that's a function of the LEO mindset - they're trained to look for VIOLATIONS. Resource conservation rangers are more my type - "how-to" folks, rather than "what-not-to-do" folks. I rarely run across interpretive rangers, but that's mainly because most of my hiking takes me into areas where there are no interpretive rangers.

In the end, they're all just people - treat 'em right, and they'll treat you right.

soulrebel
11-01-2007, 10:39
Point up in the sky and say, "Look it's the Goodyear Blimp" and quickly tuck the pipe into your pocket.

Actually had one of the rangers from harpers walk up on me and a session at the staircase. exciting moment-nothing happened with the ranger--long story.

Deadeye
11-01-2007, 12:03
In college, I worked a summer as a ranger, never saw those 3 classifications before. I'd guess I was about split between resource conservation and interpretive, no law enforcement. I didn't care if anyone flared up a doobie or cracked open a Bud, just as long as they sat on the rocks, not the plants!:sun

Sly
11-01-2007, 12:08
I like seeing rangers on the trail, but it's usually a rare accurance.

weary
11-01-2007, 12:30
"Whether you're heading to the White Mountain National Forest for a day hike or you're on the final leg of an Appalachian Trail thru-hike, chances are you'll encounter a park ranger along the way...."
Actually, there is virtually zero chance until you reach Baxter State Park.
Most of the trail corridor in Vermont and New Hampshire is National Forest -- a totally different entity from parks. In Maine the National Park Service owns much of the trail corridor. But the nearest Ranger is stationed in Harper's Ferry and as far as I know has been on the Maine trail only twice in more than a decade. The balance of the corridor in Maine are "public reserve lands" a species that is only remotely related to parks.

There are National Forest rangers in New Hampshire and Vermont. In Maine the people you meet with advice about how to behave are mostly caretakers and ridge runners hired by the Maine Appalachian Trail Club. They have no law enforcement authority, but they do help protect the trail from irresponsible or ignorant hikers.

The caretakers are also among the reasons that we have to raise $200,000 each year to protect the trail -- only $9,000 or so coming from the dues paid by our 600 members.

The balance we beg from businesses, individuals, and government agencies.

Weary www.matc.org and www.matlt.org