PDA

View Full Version : Fall Sectional / from Unicoi Gap North

norman55
11-01-2007, 09:05
Hey all,

Our family has started backpacking last spring, completing Amicalola to Unicoi Gap. We averaged about 12 miles per day but had plenty of daylight. We all had agreat time and are looking forwartd to picking up from where we left off.

We are planning for 7 days over Thanksgiving. With the cooler weather and shorter days, I was hoping some of you might share your insight on achievable mileage, current trail conditions and general experineces for this time of year in NC. Considering our level of experinece, any suggestions or advise is welcomed

Thanks,
Sambeaux

scope
11-01-2007, 11:08
Assuming that "plenty of daylight" meant you were hiking into the late afternoon, early evening - and assuming that you might leave later in the a.m. due to the 'warm-up' factor, then that probably cuts your hiking time by 3 hrs, which I'd say is probably a third of your previous hiking day?

If so, then I'd say Franklin, NC would be a reasonable goal.

norman55
11-01-2007, 11:35
Col.
I appricate your commits. In May - "plenty of day light" was 8 to 10 hours a day. We were hoping to get about 6 hours a day. I guess you would consider this somewhat optimistic?

Sam

soulrebel
11-01-2007, 12:38
it's always further than you think.

I've found 8 miles to be good enough for group hikes--more time to socialize around the fire.