PDA

View Full Version : 10,000+AT miler has passed...

Miss Janet
11-01-2007, 11:21
I have seen hundreds of Trail Dogs over the years and a few stand out for sure... but for several years I looked forward to seeing a certain curly red Chesapeake Bay Retriever named Annie. She was a 'Tulip" for sure. I knew she was going to pop up every spring... I wasn't sure when but it always made me happy to see her. Then one day she would hike in and head for her favorite resting spot in the living room.

Happy Trails Annie the Wonder Dog.

Heald, I am so sorry for your loss of a great friend.

MOWGLI
11-01-2007, 11:30
Met her at Mountain Crossing. My condolences to Heald. Losing a member of the family is always hard. Especially when they are unflaggingly faithful.

Sly
11-01-2007, 11:31
Bummer... :(

Jim Adams
11-01-2007, 11:35
So sorry Heald!

geek

Footslogger
11-01-2007, 11:37
Met Healed and Annie for the first time at the pay phone in Andover - September 2003. They were headed southbound. Annie had that 1000 mile stare goin on. She was a trail warrier for sure !!

Rest well Annie !!

Condolensces to Healed !!

'Slogger

Gray Blazer
11-01-2007, 11:41
Sorry to hear about Annie. Good dog. I have a pic of her and Heald in my WB Gallery.

Gaiter
11-01-2007, 11:53
Happy Trails Annie!

And my condolensces heald!

Uncle Silly
11-01-2007, 11:56
Sorry to hear about Annie. Good dog. I have a pic of her and Heald in my WB Gallery.

Couldn't find it on a cursory look-through. Got a link?

dixicritter
11-01-2007, 12:07
Couldn't find it on a cursory look-through. Got a link?

Here's the link Uncle Silly... Can't see Annie that great though.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10509

Better pic of Annie....

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=11469

Midway Sam
11-01-2007, 12:22
My sincerest condolences to Heald. A better friend you will never find...

Better pic of Annie....

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=11469&catid=searchresults&searchid=10862

I vote that one gets placed in the "In Memory Of" gallery.

Uncle Silly
11-01-2007, 12:22
Thanks! I must've missed the first one in my quick flip through GB's photos. Naturally the second wasn't in that list.

One of these days I swear I'll learn to use Search... :D

A-Train
11-01-2007, 12:23
I'm seem to have lost Healds emails addy. Anyone have it??

Jack Tarlin
11-01-2007, 12:36
This is sad news. I freely acknowledge I'm much more of a cat person, but this was a very fine dog. Annie hiked more miles by accident than most folks here at Whiteblaze have hiked on purpose, and she was good company.
I hope someday Heald finds a new partner.

Gray Blazer
11-01-2007, 12:39
Here's the link Uncle Silly... Can't see Annie that great though.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=10509&catid=member&imageuser=6217

Better pic of Annie....

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=11469&catid=searchresults&searchid=10862
Thanks again. I'm getting better with the puter, but I still have a hard time linking.

wrongway_08
11-01-2007, 12:40
Sorry to hear, always rough to loose a great partner.

StarLyte
11-01-2007, 12:55
I am so very sorry to hear of your loss.

I love my animals, especially my little Bandito.

TJ aka Teej
11-01-2007, 14:24
Annie's strolling along a higher trail today, with plenty of cool water and lots of shade. She was lucky to have Heald as a companion.

D'Artagnan
11-01-2007, 14:30
My condolences to Heald for his loss. A good dog is one of life's greatest treasures and one sorely missed. Thanks for giving her a good life.

Sly
11-01-2007, 14:38
I love my animals, especially my little Bandito.

What is that??? :eek::D;):)

foggy-bottom
11-01-2007, 17:10
Sad to here of heald's loss. Annie was a great dog and a wounderful hiking partner. I jsut remember on my thru hike siiting at dragons tooth wiht heald talking and Annie trying to hard not to fall asleep. She was doing the head know.

Heald hope to see you soon

FatMan
11-01-2007, 17:30
Condolences to Heald. Very few things are more difficult than losing a loyal friend. My heart is aching just reading the news.

StarLyte
11-01-2007, 22:16
Janet thanks for posting this - and I love Fabian.

Sly, that's my little black pomeranian, I keep him cut down because his mane is thick and heavy and drags. He has the disposition of a puppy even though he is 6 years old. He's a camping dog (territorial) not a hiker.

Bandito dreams of being like Annie.

Just a Hiker
11-01-2007, 22:23
Thats just awful........I hiked a couple of days with Heald in the Smoky's in '04, and when he and Annie were reunited at Davenport Gap, I could tell how much he loved her. I am sorry!

Just Jim

TOW
11-01-2007, 22:31
Met Heald and Annie for the first time in and around December 2000 at Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs. Then I saw them again last year here in town as i was driving through before I got on the trail in Hot Springs and hiked here. Then the last time was at TD's in '06.

Annie had gotten loose, or away from heald and I saw here rummaging thru someones food bag and grabbed her leash and set off looking for Heald.

I think I'll call Heald tomorrow. When did she die?

jersey joe
11-02-2007, 10:51
I met Annie and Heald in Hot Springs in April of 2002. I can't even fathom how many people they have met and made an impression on in the past 10+ years hiking the trail. Sorry for your loss Heald.

rafe
11-02-2007, 11:09
I met Heald in SNP this summer, just south of Mary's Rock. He did not appear to be a happy camper. He was on a section hike, and complained that it didn't feel right being on the trail without doing the whole thing.

Actually, the conversation began with his asking if I had any toilet paper to spare. Regretfully, I didn't.

peanuts
11-08-2007, 11:08
my deepest condolences heald..... annie was a wonderful dog... she will me missed... i know how difficult it is losing your trail companion...
happy trails to annie.......hugs..

gypsy
11-08-2007, 20:04
Wow... I am so, so, sad. I know that she was old, but I just adored her:( I'm a bit scared of dogs and she was the only hiker dog that I didn't fear because she was so sweet and mellow... I'm so sorry Heald. I send my love to you....

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-08-2007, 20:23
::: Dino wraps comforting tail around Heald :::

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/lowcarbscoop/RainbowBridge.gif

WILLIAM HAYES
11-08-2007, 20:56
sorry about the loss of your friend I lost my friend spike two years ago and still miss him. He use to get so excited when I was getting packed up for the trail.I miss his companionship and unconditional love. I know you miss annie's too

Hillbilly

galaleemc
11-09-2007, 10:25
She was one of the first "Trail Legend" I met and none will ever live up to the amazing trails she blazed first. Heald sorry for your loss, but your constant companion will always be by your side.

Glo-Worm
11-13-2007, 23:16
Annie was such a wonderful dog. Heald, you are in my thoughts.

Glo-Worm

Jan LiteShoe
11-14-2007, 00:15
Aw, man. Thanks, Janet for posting this news. It's hard to lose a pet. They know us as we are and love us anyway.

But to lose such a long-time traveling companion - lots of memories wrapped up in those 10,000+ miles...
I'm sorry, Heald.

Sleepy the Arab
11-14-2007, 01:43
"...The best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it the most. A man’s reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads. The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog.

"A man’s dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master’s side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

"If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death."

-George Graham Vest

stumpknocker
11-14-2007, 19:52
Annie was the luckiest dog I've ever known and Heald was lucky to have walked with her for so many miles. My condolences Heald for your loss.

Heald
11-15-2007, 14:34
Anne dog passed away three weeks ago in her sleep. She hadnt been in any pain, no more than a 14 year old bay retriever should be. She just seemed to take a nap and pass on. It wasnt a huge surprise, though she will be very missed.
Chou Chou and I gathered her up, and took her to the place Anne knew best.
We put her to rest on the trail. After a few words, and some recalled memories, we said goodbye.
Anne was a wonderful dog. She hiked nearly 17,000mls on the AT. I cant recall a single time she refused to hike, and for anyone who knows bay retrievers, thats saying a lot because believe you me they can be stuborn as mules, but then again maybe somehow thats what made her keep going. It's all she really knew, the AT.
I just wanted to make those few comments, and thank everyone for their sharing of kind words and such.
heald

Doc
11-15-2007, 14:50
Sad day! It seemed that Annie and the guy who hiked with her showed up every year on my section hikes no matter where I hiked that particular year. My thoughts are with you Heald.

Doc

Skyline
11-15-2007, 15:02
Heald, condolences from me and my trail dawg, Savannah.

Y'all are both trail legends.

Nokia
11-15-2007, 16:26
:( :( :(

Rouen
11-15-2007, 22:22
Chou Chou and I gathered her up, and took her to the place Anne knew best.
We put her to rest on the trail. After a few words, and some recalled memories, we said goodbye.
Anne was a wonderful dog. She hiked nearly 17,000mls on the AT.
heald

my condolences Heald, I'm sure you're already aware that theres a huge hole in the hearts of those in the hiking community with the passing of Annie.

Nightwalker
11-17-2007, 01:33
I cant recall a single time she refused to hike, and for anyone who knows bay retrievers, thats saying a lot because believe you me they can be stuborn as mules, but then again maybe somehow thats what made her keep going. It's all she really knew, the AT.

I remember seeing her at Neel's Gap standing in Mtn. Crossings, staring out the window at the trail across the road. She really wanted to go, but she wasn't leaving without you.

docllamacoy
02-01-2008, 20:53
:( I'm sorry.

mweinstone
02-01-2008, 21:04
i think the bible says their are animals in heaven. your dog is like clint eastwood cool in an anni oakly way.met her dont remember where.

Nean
02-01-2008, 21:12
Annie the Wonder Dog. I had the pleasure of keeping her at our house when Heald was going thru the Smokies a few years back. She had 14,000m then. Great dog in my opinion. Loved to hike, loved Heald and was loved by many. Say good boy to Cooler for me Annie.

ed bell
02-01-2008, 21:15
Annie the Wonder Dog. I had the pleasure of keeping her at our house when Heald was going thru the Smokies a few years back. She had 14,000m then. Great dog in my opinion. Loved to hike, loved Heald and was loved by many. Say good boy to Cooler for me Annie.You guys are making me tear up while I'm looking at my little Bittle.:( I'm sorry for your loss and know that Annie led a spectacular life.:sun.....oh, and I'm sure Cooler as well.:)

CrumbSnatcher
02-01-2008, 22:00
heald, im sorry for your loss. if you ever need to talk, you know to call. annie would always come hang out with me and bear and chill during traildays every year.she liked bear(or at least her treats ha ha) i always enjoyed my time with heald an annie. i remember relaying some of the stone steps at walasi-yi center for winton in 2003, and annie would test the freshly laid stones for me,by walking across them. me and nean drank a couple cases of beer togeather in hot springs 2002, not sure how many cooler drank.

CrumbSnatcher
02-02-2008, 14:58
it might not be the appalachian trail,but i just had a great walk with my bear(dog)14 years old and going strong! livin the moment not the past. i'm blessed to have a great dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Desperado
02-02-2008, 23:34
:(Very nice. Sadd . R I P Annie.....
"...The best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it the most. A man’s reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads. The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog.

"A man’s dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master’s side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.

"If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death."

-George Graham Vest