PDA

View Full Version : A Lion in West Virginia?

briarpatch
11-01-2007, 13:33
http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/10939086.html

warraghiyagey
11-01-2007, 13:34
Here kitty. Niiiice kitty.

dessertrat
11-01-2007, 13:53
Either the hunter who "saw" it was drunk or hallucinating, or it was released by an owner who grew tired of it.

If the latter, this could mean trouble.

neo
11-01-2007, 13:55
:-? another hoax maybe:cool: neo

wrongway_08
11-01-2007, 14:02
$3,000.00? That would pay for my food along the way.........Hmm, whats the chances of meeting up with this lion, getting him to allow me to use my bear bag rope as a leash (come on now, if I have a lion with me, I wont need to hang my food - I dont care what any of you say!!! :) ) and then getting the reward money?
Pizza party at the shelter tonight!!!!!

Ender
11-01-2007, 14:05
If true, this is awesome.

ChimneySpring
11-01-2007, 14:31
If this is true, the lion will likely be dead in relatively short order.

One, it's got to be some idiots idea of a suitable "pet", so it's skills in the wild will be limited. Two, male lions generally don't hunt their prey - rather, the females in the pride do that work. Three, lions of that type are prairie/grassland dwellers - just how nimble one could be running the ridges of West-by-God is questionable. Fourth, and I mean this as affectionately as possible, every toothless redneck with a capgun in WV is going to be looking for this thing.

troglobil
11-01-2007, 14:36
. Fourth, and I mean this as affectionately as possible, every toothless redneck with a capgun in WV is going to be looking for this thing.

Even the one with a tooth!

taildragger
11-01-2007, 14:39
Who wants to go on a real safari style lion hunt in the beautiful grasslands of West Virginia, call your local DEC to get the names and numbers of experienced lion hunting guides.

Dances with Mice
11-01-2007, 14:42
I haven't been in W.V. recently.

So the hunter couldn't have seen me one morning before coffee.

Otherwise the description's pretty close.

Cookerhiker
11-01-2007, 14:45
If this is true, the lion will likely be dead in relatively short order.

One, it's got to be some idiots idea of a suitable "pet", so it's skills in the wild will be limited. Two, male lions generally don't hunt their prey - rather, the females in the pride do that work. Three, lions of that type are prairie/grassland dwellers - just how nimble one could be running the ridges of West-by-God is questionable. Fourth, and I mean this as affectionately as possible, every toothless redneck with a capgun in WV is going to be looking for this thing.

In addition to everything you cited, what about the emerging cold weather?

Marta
11-01-2007, 16:54
If lions are anything like housecats, all you have to do to capture it is spread out a map, or a newspaper, so you can read it, and the lion will immediately come over to lie right on top of it.

warraghiyagey
11-01-2007, 16:57
If lions are anything like housecats, all you have to do to capture it is spread out a map, or a newspaper, so you can read it, and the lion will immediately come over to lie right on top of it.

:) . . . . . . . .

buckowens
11-01-2007, 17:06
I live about 2-1/2 hours from where it was seen. Someone at work told me that a person in the area had left over 20 pounds of meat overnight near the sighting area and it was gone in the morning. We laughed as they went to all that trouble, but did not put up a trail camera...

Hard to tell, as it could be a released animal. I don't know enough about them to know how they would tolerate the winters if so...

dessertrat
11-01-2007, 17:31
I live about 2-1/2 hours from where it was seen. Someone at work told me that a person in the area had left over 20 pounds of meat overnight near the sighting area and it was gone in the morning. We laughed as they went to all that trouble, but did not put up a trail camera...

Hard to tell, as it could be a released animal. I don't know enough about them to know how they would tolerate the winters if so...

Offergodsakes, does this person think a bear would not have taken the meat he left out "for the lion"?

Marta
11-01-2007, 18:04
Or even a dog or two could have hauled the meat off.

warraghiyagey
11-01-2007, 18:11
Or even a dog or two could have hauled the meat off.

Perish the thought an emaciated SOBO could have thought it was the trail magic motherlode.:)

TOW
11-01-2007, 18:14
How in the world did a lion come to be in the wilds of West Virginia?

Marta
11-01-2007, 18:15
Perish the thought an emaciated SOBO could have thought it was the trail magic motherlode.:)

Too true. It would be a light snack for some.

gaga
11-01-2007, 18:21
it was a bear but in a Lion Halloween costume :D:D:D

Smile
11-01-2007, 18:55
I live about 2-1/2 hours from where it was seen. Someone at work told me that a person in the area had left over 20 pounds of meat overnight near the sighting area and it was gone in the morning.

Sounds like an easy one to trap then to me. :)

Kirby
11-01-2007, 18:57
Hmmmm...

Lions loose in WV

Drought all over the southeastern United States

Wildfires galore in California

What a time to be enjoying mother nature is every region of our great nation!

Kirby

Smile
11-01-2007, 19:04
For those who would like to curl up next to a fire/heater somewhere this evening and ponder the fate of the old boy here's one for you.

Leo the Lion Recipe:

2 oz dry vermouth
1/2 oz brandy
1 tsp white creme de menthe

Pour the vermouth, brandy and creme de menthe into a mixing glass half-filled with ice cubes. Stir well, strain into a cocktail glass, and serve.

Tin Man
11-01-2007, 19:06
I'll stick to my Perfect Manhattan on the rocks. thank you.

Smile
11-01-2007, 19:09
As you wish, Tin Man :)

cowboy nichols
11-01-2007, 19:16
Send it to Fla. we have an abundance of throw away exotic pets!

wrongway_08
11-01-2007, 19:39
:) :) :)

Freeleo
11-01-2007, 19:49
For those who would like to curl up next to a fire/heater somewhere this evening and ponder the fate of the old boy here's one for you.

Leo the Lion Recipe:

2 oz dry vermouth
1/2 oz brandy

Pour the vermouth, brandy and creme de menthe into a mixing glass half-filled with ice cubes. Stir well, strain into a cocktail glass, and serve.

:) :sun :)

i will have to try that one out...maybe i have found my drink....cheers

there use to be a caged lion between I74 and st rt 128 in miamitown, oh you could drive up to and see two miles fom my house growing up
we would always talk about if it ever got out back in HS
and one day it was gone and we never knew what happened to him until today.......

buckowens
11-01-2007, 20:44
Offergodsakes, does this person think a bear would not have taken the meat he left out "for the lion"?

Or dogs or any other meat eater...

I know, that's why we laughed about it. If you are going to the trouble of putting out meat, at least have a camera or some other observation. Heck, I get so hungry on the trail I would think about it :D

Smile
11-01-2007, 23:28
Yup, probably a hiker took it. :)

taildragger
11-02-2007, 09:49

Leo the Lion Recipe:

2 oz dry vermouth
1/2 oz brandy

I'll take it churchill style, I'll drink the brandy and stare at the creme and vermouth

Marta
11-02-2007, 10:10
Over on TrailForums some said friends of theirs saw a lion when they were at Dick's Dome in 2003. It's sounding as if this lion is a "pet" that escapes periodically. Any Colombian drug lords living in the area? NFL stars?