PDA

View Full Version : Trent's store in Virginia

Doc
11-25-2003, 10:34
There is camping listed near Trent's store as the AT crosses 606 in SW Virginia. Anybody know anymore about this campground. I plan to do some section hiking in the Spring with a small RV and am wondering if this is possible at this location.
Thanks for any help.

Doc

mamaspicphotography
11-26-2003, 23:31
There is camping listed near Trent's store as the AT crosses 606 in SW Virginia. Anybody know anymore about this campground. I plan to do some section hiking in the Spring with a small RV and am wondering if this is possible at this location.
Thanks for any help.

Doc

Doc. I live in the area (Pearisburg) near Trent's store and passed by there last weekend and the campground was full of campers and rv's (hunters).

Mike/ mamaspicphotography

Ezra
12-01-2003, 17:19
I tented there 2 weeks ago. I was the only tent there. Everybody else seemed to be permanent campers and hunters. There is a bath house with hot water and the store has some hot food. $2 charge. Not scenic but convenient.

DAKS
02-18-2009, 13:00
okay, digging up an old thread here!

i stopped in at trents yesterday to arrange a shuttle. i just want to say that they were very helpful and are really looking forward to seeing hikers this season! good people there!

FishBone
02-18-2009, 13:28
Can you give some details on the shuttle? I may need to use their services at the tail end of a section hike in June, going from Trent's to Atkins, VA.
thanks.

DAKS
02-18-2009, 13:37
Can you give some details on the shuttle? I may need to use their services at the tail end of a section hike in June, going from Trent's to Atkins, VA.
thanks.

i just dropped in there and asked if they had any contacts for a shuttle. they made a phone call for me and it was a done deal. PM me if you have any further questions.

Pedaling Fool
02-18-2009, 19:42
FWIW, Great place to camp, costs ~$5 and that includes use of shower/laundry for no additional cost.

Jack Tarlin
02-18-2009, 19:56
Gotta disagree.

While the folks at the store have always been great to hikers, this is kind of a yucky place to spend the night. I suggest that instead, you patronize the store, buy yourself some treats, get back to the Trailhead and do an easy .9 north; then take the side trail to the really nice campsites by Dismal Falls, a wonderful place to spend the night and one of the Trail's best swimming holes.

Lots nicer than the backyard at Trent's!

Pedaling Fool
02-18-2009, 20:08
Running water makes me pee a lot;)

Lone Wolf
02-18-2009, 20:16
I suggest that instead, you patronize the store, buy yourself some treats, get back to the Trailhead and do an easy .9 north; then take the side trail to the really nice campsites by Dismal Falls, a wonderful place to spend the night and one of the Trail's best swimming holes.

actually it's .8 back to the trailhead then 1.9 north, then .4 on the side trail to the falls. so if you're blue-blazin hiker trash, get your stuff at the store, continue past the store for 50 yards then take the forest service road (it's marked to dismal falls) 1 mile to the falls and camping. save yourself 2.1 miles

Blue Jay
02-18-2009, 20:17
While the folks at the store have always been great to hikers, this is kind of a yucky place to spend the night. I suggest that instead, you patronize the store, buy yourself some treats, get back to the Trailhead and do an easy .9 north; then take the side trail to the really nice campsites by Dismal Falls, a wonderful place to spend the night and one of the Trail's best swimming holes.

I agree almost completely with Jack on this one. The only change is that while Dismal is clearly light years better, Trents is hardly "yucky". On many parts of the Trail it would be just fine.

Jack Tarlin
02-18-2009, 20:22
Wolf's right that the Trail distance is longer, my mistake; but it sure isn't .8 from the Trailhead to the store (.4 or .5 is more like it). And .4 to the falls seems long to me, it's more like .2

In any case, it sure beats staying at Trent's and there is indeed a blue blaze from the store to the Falls for those so inclined.

Lone Wolf
02-18-2009, 20:24
no. it's .8 like the data book says. i also measured it last year when i met sgt. rock

Pedaling Fool
02-18-2009, 20:30
I knew that was a long 0.4 mile walk:sun

Jack Tarlin
02-18-2009, 20:31
Two of the 2009 Trail guides list it at .4; one of them says .5 but I'll defer to Wolf.

He lives in Virginia, I don't.

Plus he hikes more. :D

Lone Wolf
02-18-2009, 20:37
it's .8. don't care what the guides say. they are wrong a lot

SGT Rock
02-18-2009, 20:48
Treants is a good place to get some chow and a short re-supply to Pearisburg. Crappy place to buy alcohol fuel.

Also, if you need to mail something from there, the mail man comes by around 10:00 for his snack and sells stamps.

Lilred
02-19-2009, 11:55
Gotta disagree.

I gotta agree with this. Had I known there were such great campsites at Dismal, I would have moved on instead of staying at Trent's. Course, I would have eaten and showered first...:D

Johnny Thunder
02-19-2009, 12:30
Chaco...remember when I put a bunch of little rocks in your Z rest while you went down to look at Dismal Falls? Then when you set up your tent you flicked them all into your tent...and then packed up the tent the next morning with all the rocks in it...then I did it to you again for two or three more days so at the end you were carrying 3 or 4 days worth of little rocks in your tent all packed up nice and tight?

Dismal falls rocked!

fredmugs
02-20-2009, 11:53
I have this thing in my car called a "Trip Odomoter." When it was 0.0 at Trent's it was 0.5 at the parking area where the bridge goes over Kimberling Creek (as of 8 days ago). I did not walk it but can confirm that it's a really long way from there to Pearisburg.

BTW - the number I gave to DAKS for Trent's is 276-928-1349.