PDA

View Full Version : Duct Tape

c.coyle
11-25-2003, 11:41
Lots of people seem to wrap duct tape around their poles. The question I have is, how much?

RagingHampster
11-25-2003, 11:54
I think duct tape on hiking poles makes a mess, especially in hot weather when the glue can ooze.

I personally hike with a half/width roll (purchaseable at wally world) with a about 6-10ft on it. All you need in the wilderness is a pocket knife, matches, and roll of duct tape :)

Lumberjack
11-25-2003, 12:23
I carry a full roll with the core removed.... I consider it a part of my first aid kit ....

Kerosene
11-25-2003, 13:23
Per 'Hampster's post, 6-10 feet should be more than enough for the occasional repair and emergency first aid.

Rain Man
11-25-2003, 13:38
Lots of people seem to wrap duct tape around their poles. The question I have is, how much?

I do duct tape on one pole and strapping (nylon reinforced) tape on the other, just under the handles. I make them less diameter than the handles on the poles. Don't know how long that is, though.

AND, on my last section hike, I needed it and used most of it taping two garbage bags together to block the wind off me at night in shelters. Worked just fine!

Rain Man

Streamweaver
11-25-2003, 14:43
Walmart sells little flat packs of duct tape with 3 yards on it .The pack measures about 3"x2"x.5" and doesnt weigh much .They even have Dayglo colors now ,which are good for emergency use. Streamweaver

brian
11-25-2003, 15:38
Go to home depot or lowes, or anywhere that sells duct tape.

Go ahead....smell it. Does it have a "chemical" smell? If so, the adhesive is cheap and will run\leave a messy residue. And the cheap stuff just doesnt stick

All in all, you get what you pay for. Sure, you may not want to spend $8 on a roll of duct tape, but it sure is worth it when you need to repair something. I recommend Duck brand tape, it seems to hold the longest and not leave a sticky residue.

Brian

Streamweaver
11-25-2003, 16:48
Go to home depot or lowes, or anywhere that sells duct tape.

Go ahead....smell it. Does it have a "chemical" smell? If so, the adhesive is cheap and will run\leave a messy residue. And the cheap stuff just doesnt stick

All in all, you get what you pay for. Sure, you may not want to spend $8 on a roll of duct tape, but it sure is worth it when you need to repair something. I recommend Duck brand tape, it seems to hold the longest and not leave a sticky residue.

Brian
The flat packs are Duck brand. Streamweaver

Jester2000
11-25-2003, 19:06
I carry at least 10 feet. I use it all, too. I prefer red 3M Duct Tape, and oozing seems to be more of a problem for my feet than my tape. I tend to wrap it around my Travel Jim Beam bottle, but if you don't have one of those you could wrap it around your Travel Captain Morgan bottle.

WalkinHome
11-25-2003, 19:33
Good for making red blazes a la Billville to eh Jester?

Jester2000
11-25-2003, 19:52
Red Blaze Magic!!!!!! Saw actual Red Blazes coming off of Nasuntabunt in October. Don't know what trail converges with AT at that point. . .wait, oh yes, duct tape. 3M Red duct tape is excellent for letting everyone know that there is trail magic afoot.

c.coyle
11-25-2003, 22:02
Walmart sells little flat packs of duct tape with 3 yards on it .The pack measures about 3"x2"x.5" and doesnt weigh much .They even have Dayglo colors now ,which are good for emergency use. Streamweaver

Yup. Duck Brand. 98 cents at Walmart. I opted for the basic silver. Thanks to everyone for "Duct Tape 101".

icemanat95
11-25-2003, 22:31
I wish to heck I could get military 100 MPH tape in such flat packs. Stronger adhesive and tougher tape. I loved that stuff. Duck brand is good, but there is a premium duct tape brand out there that is fantastic stuff, the real duct tape used to SEAL HVAC ducting tight at the joints, and used by USAMRIID and CDC to seal up buildings, rooms, etc. for decontamination of level 4 bioagents. It's about as good as tape can get, but it is heavy and bulky.

I don't carry duct tape, but may start carrying a pack or two of the flat stuff.

Streamweaver
11-26-2003, 00:45
Last summer I was fishing and on one foot the sandle I was wearing rubbed on the heel,I put a peice of that duck tape on it and I was in and out of the water from about 9am till almost 10 pm and the tape never even came loose!! Thats why I dont even carry surgical tape anymore. This past sunday I used a few feet of duct tape to hold the felt onto the bottom front of the boot on my waders and it held together for several hours! Yes Red Green Is My hero!!! Streamweaver

wolf
11-26-2003, 23:35
Duct Tape Dont Leave Home With Out It

Doctari
11-27-2003, 01:16

Like the other posts, I carry 10 ft minimum. I don't like it on my poles, as I move them & that is added weight. Sort of like loosing weight on the feet is the best place to do so, loosing weight on the poles seems smart to me.
When I used a gasoline stove, I kept D/T on the fuel bottle, but now it is wrapped around a vsall piece of plastic.

I NEVER leave home without it :-)