PDA

View Full Version : Hammocking for two people

Lumberjack
11-25-2003, 12:21
Due to the addition of a new hiking partner I need to make a few changes. So....

Anyone every try a hammock with two people in it?

Any suggestions?

Almost forgot: combined weight is about 400 lbs

Ive seen a bliss double hammock that could be fixed up but I dont know if it would hold us.

If I cant find a solution then its back to tents and pads and so on :(

DebW
11-25-2003, 13:01
Ed Speer (maker of Speer Hammocks and moderator of the yahoo hammockcamping list) recommends 2 individual hammocks with the head ends attached to the same tree and the foot ends attached to trees several feet apart. Most hammocks only hold about 200 lb. All the serious attempts at 2 person camping hammocks seem to have failed.

Due to the addition of a new hiking partner I need to make a few changes. So....

Any suggestions?

Almost forgot: combined weight is about 400 lbs

Ive seen a bliss double hammock that could be fixed up but I dont know if it would hold us.

If I cant find a solution then its back to tents and pads and so on :(

flyfisher
11-25-2003, 16:17

###Yep! A double bottom hammock made from 1.9 oz ripstop held up the approximately 380 pounds of my wife and I. (This was a modified Speer-type Hammock.) However it was uncomfortable. Essentially, one person has to lie mostly on the other most of the time. This is fun for a nap, but not a great way to get a good night's sleep.

Any suggestions?

###Yep! Ed and I have each posted a number of pictures of putting hammocks together. It works with three trees or even from two nice thick trees. This way, it is possible to cuddle a little and to whisper to each other. Very pleasant!

See:

http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/ultradoublehammock.htm