PDA

View Full Version : Winter Hiking in Maine/NH

jrturkeycu
11-02-2007, 12:52
Has anyone been on the trail near Gorham,NH in the winter? I'm planning a trip mid January and was looking for some advice. Temps, snowfall, snowpack, good hikes etc.

rafe
11-02-2007, 13:25
Yeah, I've hiked up Mt. Hayes a couple times in the winter. Way back when. Start from the trailhead a couple miles east of Gorham, on the north side of the Androscoggin. It can be VERY cold. I wouldn't hike it alone. (I did back then, and it was a stupid thing to do.) Snowshoes highly advisable, but there are (were) stretches near the summit that were very steep and hard to climb with the snowshoes on (and impossible without.)

warraghiyagey
11-02-2007, 13:34
Brrrrrrrrr

take-a-knee
11-02-2007, 13:37
An alpine claw style snowshoe binding like those sold by Tubbs and others would probably be in order for a steep grade. I've never used them but I know the cheap bindings the Army used will turn a snowshoe into a ski, and that isn't good. Maybe a set of light crampons would be in order also.

Roland
11-02-2007, 13:49
Has anyone been on the trail near Gorham,NH in the winter? I'm planning a trip mid January and was looking for some advice. Temps, snowfall, snowpack, good hikes etc.

Temperatures in mid-January can vary wildly. If you hike in the Presidentials, you must be prepared for overnight temps as low as -30F. Windchills can be significantly colder. In some years, we have a January thaw and temperatures soar into the 40s or 50s for a day. This is the exception, but it does illustrate how variable temps can be.

Snowfall/snowpack is impossible to predict with any accuracy. Last winter, we didn't get any appreciable snow until mid-January. The preceeding year, Washington received several feet of snow in October. Carry snowshoes, and at a mininum, Stabilicers. Depending on conditions, and the trail you select, crampons may be necessary. If you stay out of the ravines, you may get by without an iceaxe, but poles would be very helpful.

Good hikes are plentiful. The AT is not always the best route. For example, if you hiked the Northern Presidentials, coming off Madison on the Osgood would not be your best choice. The popularity of Valley Way trail makes it an easier alternative. If you are a novice winter hiker, consider day trips. Gorham has many lodging options.

Lots of folks hike the Whites, year-round. To do so, safely, in the winter requires proper equipment, and knowledge. Experience is the best teacher, but we must all start somewhere. I recommend buying the AMC White Mountain Guide (http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455 24442594991&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302846760&bmUID=1194024115653). Get familiar with the trail system and the bail-out routes.

I'd be happy to answer specific questions, if I haven't already scared you away.

rafe
11-02-2007, 13:54
For what it's worth, the walk up to Rattle River shelter from Rte. 2 (again, just east of Gorham) would be pleasant and a nice mellow grade. Unfortunately the trailhead parking lot is not plowed in the winter (at least it wasn't when we tried it.) The closest alternative parking is a rest area on the north side of Rte. 2, about a mile east of the trailhead.

dessertrat
11-02-2007, 14:13
I'm thinking about doing some winter hiking in Maine in February. I can say from growing up in that region that if the snow is old, it will almost always be hard packed crust, and if recent, can be either powder or wet, no real telling ahead of time.

From my research on it (not experience, sorry!) I think if I were doing such a trip, I would take smaller snowshoes with a built in instep crampon of some sort, and some real crampons to change into on very steep slopes, as well as an ice axe.

Just a Hiker
11-02-2007, 14:24
For what it's worth, the walk up to Rattle River shelter from Rte. 2 (again, just east of Gorham) would be pleasant and a nice mellow grade. Unfortunately the trailhead parking lot is not plowed in the winter (at least it wasn't when we tried it.) The closest alternative parking is a rest area on the north side of Rte. 2, about a mile east of the trailhead.

I have started (SOBO) at Rt. 2 in the winter as well.....I only brought instep crampons, but I wish I had brought snowshoes and an iceaxe. The good news is that the trail is much smoother is places where it is normally rocky and lots of roots. By the way, Bruno at Hiker's Paradise let me park my vehicle in their hotel lot for free. He must have been in a good mood that day!!:D Good luck!

Just Jim

warraghiyagey
11-02-2007, 14:39
. . . By the way, Bruno at Hiker's Paradise let me park my vehicle in their hotel lot for free. He must have been in a good mood that day!!:D Good luck!

Just Jim

Haha, sounds like the Bruno I know.

rafe
11-02-2007, 14:50
If you're going on any of the better-known trails (eg. Bridle Path, up Lafayette) you need crampons instead of snowshoes -- unless you're the first person up after a storm. Those trails have so much traffic -- even in winter -- that the snow gets packed down quickly. OTOH, the AT up to Mt. Hayes summit had fresh, deep powder, wind-packed in places. And it was clear -- from my own footprints -- that I was the only one that had been on it.

Just a Hiker
11-02-2007, 14:56
I am not sure if you are going to climb Mt. Washington on your winter hike, but I did this type of hike I hiked up the Tuckerman's Ravine Trail to Lion's Head....anyway, I took a detour and went up to watch the crazy people skiing down Tuckerman's Ravine. It was fun to watch, plus the people watching was great!!:D

rafe
11-02-2007, 15:07
FWIW, the skiing at Tuckermans generally begins in spring. Memorial day is the big weekend for skiing tuckermans. Couple of photos here (http://www.terrapinphoto.com/cpg143/thumbnails.php?album=12&page=2) of the snow at Tuckermans on June 2 of this year.

Just a Hiker
11-02-2007, 15:11
FWIW, the skiing at Tuckermans generally begins in spring. Memorial day is the big weekend for skiing tuckermans. Couple of photos here (http://www.terrapinphoto.com/cpg143/thumbnails.php?album=12&page=2) of the snow at Tuckermans on June 2 of this year.

You are right Terrapin, this particular trip was in March.

warraghiyagey
11-02-2007, 15:15
I am not sure if you are going to climb Mt. Washington on your winter hike, but I did this type of hike I hiked up the Tuckerman's Ravine Trail to Lion's Head....anyway, I took a detour and went up to watch the crazy people skiing down Tuckerman's Ravine. It was fun to watch, plus the people watching was great!!:D
Sound like fun all the way around.

jrturkeycu
11-02-2007, 15:17
I was thinking about hopping on the AT and heading back towards Maine to steer clear of the whites since i have no snowshoe/crampon experience. I do however intend to have a pair of snowshoes with me. It will be a group of two with reasonable cold weather hiking experience.

Any suggestions about further up in Maine? are the bigelows doable?

warraghiyagey
11-02-2007, 15:33
I was thinking about hopping on the AT and heading back towards Maine to steer clear of the whites since i have no snowshoe/crampon experience. I do however intend to have a pair of snowshoes with me. It will be a group of two with reasonable cold weather hiking experience.

While they may not be teh challenge of the initial climb to get into the White's in good wheather, they should provide qute a chanllenge in cold weather as the ups and downs ar more severe in certain regards. Enjoy the hike thought, with cold weather hiking experience, I'd definitely love to hike this area this time of year to. Enjoy Gentian Pond.

jrturkeycu
11-02-2007, 16:09
How is the Mahoussac Notch in the winter? Doable?

jrturkeycu
11-02-2007, 16:10
Looking forward to Gentian Pond, it's part of the reason I'm going...

Roland
11-02-2007, 16:24

Sure, the Mahoosucs are doable, as are the Bigelows. But, these areas are more remote than the Whites, and it's more likely you will be breaking trail. And because they are less accessible, bail-out options are more limited.

Given your experience, I recommend you begin with day hikes. Stick to the commonly used trails for safety, and ease. If you've never broken trail through 2 feet of snow, you can't begin to imagine how physically demanding that is.

After a few day trips, you will gain confidence. Then, I'd suggest you try an overnight hike.

Here are some suggested trips:

Great Gulf
Approach from Rt 16, at the designated trailhead. This is a popular winter playground, so the trail will likely be broken. You can do a 8-10 mile in/out hike here on easy terrain, to get the hang of snowshoeing.

Mt. Moriah
Can be approached from several directions and be done as a loop. However in the winter, when you're breaking trail, it's easier to go in/out on the same trail. Start from Rt 16 using the Rocky Branch Trail, or from Bangor Street, on the Moriah Trail. These are wooded paths and would be a great snowshoe training trip.

Carter Notch
Approach from Rt 16. Nineteen Mile Brook trail is very popular. The trail is well graded and easy-going. Check at the hut for conditions on the higher summits and decide if you want to climb Carter Dome. If time allows, you could incorporate Mt. Hight into the trip. This bald summit offers fabulous views of the Northern Presidentials.

Madison Hut (Won't be open in Jan)
Approach from the West (Rt 2). Valley Way trail gets plenty of traffic and will likely be well-packed. You'll be in the trees until a few hundred yards from the hut. Once you poke your head above the trees, you can quickly retreat if conditions are unfavorable. But, if the winds don't knock you over, and the sky is clear, you'll think you're in heaven. If conditions allow, you can tag the summit. Adams is nearby and could be an option, too. Visibility can deteriorate quickly. Stay alert.

Tuckerman
This heading is misleading. I don't recommend you climb Tuckerman headwall in the winter. However, the Tuckerman Ravine trail, up to Hermit Lake is a very popular winter hike, and a good spot for your first winter overnight trip. Approach from Pinkham Notch Visitors Center, on Rt 16. Many hikers staying here will be climbing Washington via Lion Head, or Boott Spur. In the winter, these trails require crampons. If you don't have crampons, you can still explore the floor of the ravine. Continue up the Tuck trail to the first aid cache, for stunning views of a glacial cirque.

________

These are only a few suggestions. There are many more options.

jrturkeycu
11-02-2007, 17:04
Thanks for the advice. We have alloted a week (sat-sat) so maybe we'll combine a few out and back overnight trips. I've been up there in the summer, but the guy I'm going with never has.

weary
11-02-2007, 17:24
've been on the trail in that area in winter a dozen times or more. A good beginners hike is the 19-mile-brook trail to the Carter Notch AMC hut. Often the trail is beat down enough so that snowshoes aren't needed. But I carry them anyway -- ever since we had a "freak storm" left two feet of snow one night, making an exit the next morning kid of difficult.

I forget the trail name, but just to the north of Gorham towards Pinkham Notch is a trail that leads to the Imp Shelter. Plan on plenty of time. The one time I did the walk we didn't arrive at the shelter until after dark.

There are many good trails in Maine in the Grafton Notch area. One February a group of us followed an unlisted trail to the Notch and traversed the Notch itself in about 20 minutes. All the house sized boulders were covered with snow and the notch was a smooth incline plane.

Old Speck, the Baldpates and the new loop trail all make great winter backpacks.

Snow depths can range from a foot to four feet. Temperatures range from 40 above to 40 below. Wise people watch the weather forecasts closely. Conditions vary greatly from week to week and season to season. Expect and be prepared for the worse and you will be okay.

Weary

woodsy
11-02-2007, 19:04
are the bigelows doable?
Yup, if you've got your act together:) Remote hiking, and rugged too!;)

rafe
11-02-2007, 19:07
've been on the trail in that area in winter a dozen times or more. A good beginners hike is the 19-mile-brook trail to the Carter Notch AMC hut. Often the trail is beat down enough so that snowshoes aren't needed. But I carry them anyway -- ever since we had a "freak storm" left two feet of snow one night, making an exit the next morning kid of difficult.

The one time I tried to do 19-Mile Brook trail in winter, I found it quite icy. Definitely bring crampons.

celt
11-02-2007, 19:14

Have you been to this website?

www.viewsfromthetop.com

and the NH trail conditions page:

http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/trail/nh/index.html

best online source for trail condtions during winter. Its a good bet if no one has reported the trail your planning to hike, you'll be breaking trail.

woodsy
11-03-2007, 11:02
Bigelows in winter can get deep (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=14301) but generally gets steady use .

jrturkeycu
11-03-2007, 13:15
Thanks for all the responses... It's been very helpful. If anyone is going to be in the area, feel free to drop me a line.

-Jeff

Mr. Clean
11-04-2007, 05:56
The Mahoosucs are remote and see little winter use. If not fairly experienced in winter hiking, I'd skip them, since the Notch and Mahoosuc arm will be tough.

Do some longer day hikes. You will need at a minimum a hiking partner, good snowshoes with crampons, and a headlamp since the days are short and night comes fast. Any of the exposed summits will have ice on them, and breaking trail through several feet of snow will wear you down fast.

I don't want to seem negative, but hiking the White Mtn area in the winter is often fatal to those with little experience. Check out "views from the top" dot com and try some long day hikes, or stay at an AMC winter hut ($25) as opposed to a shelter or tent site.

Hiking this area in the winter is exceptionally beautiful; just please be safe.