PDA

View Full Version : Two days near Boone, NC

Bootstrap
11-02-2007, 13:53
I'd like to take my college-aged daughter hiking for two days, and she goes to Appalachian State, in Boone, NC. I'm thinking in on a Saturday and out on a Sunday.

I could do what I know, start at Carver's Gap and take her in to, say, the Stan Murray shelter, then back the next day, or possibly stay at the Mountain Harbour B&B and use a shuttle so we could go from Carver's Gap to 19E.

Or since this is her first real hike, perhaps do fewer miles, e.g. hike up to the Grassy Ridge Bald, set up camp there, do some hiking without the packs, and pack back out. I know I can get stunning views either way.

What other options should I be considering not too far from Boone?

Jonathan

bigcranky
11-02-2007, 14:22
You could hike from Iron Mountain Gap into Erwin with a shuttle, that's about 20 miles maybe? Goes over Beauty Spot and is mostly downhill. Also, the 13 miles from Carver Gap to US 19-E are just spectacular. I'd want a shuttle for that, so I could hit all the balds, but then that locks you into a schedule for pick-up (as you shouldn't leave your car at 19-E). Boone is less than an hour from Damascus, which opens up a lot of the Virginia high country. I like the AT/Pine Mountain Trail at Mt Rogers as a loop, either a solid day or an easy overnight hike. Great scenery and wild horses.

How does she like App State? My daughter is applying there, along with a couple of other state schools.

Bootstrap
11-02-2007, 14:28
How does she like App State? My daughter is applying there, along with a couple of other state schools.

App State is a *wonderful* school. Of course, I'm forced to drive out to the Carolina high country because she's there, but I can live with that too ;->

These are great suggestions. What other, non-AT trails should I be thinking of?

Jonathan

Bootstrap
11-02-2007, 14:29
You could hike from Iron Mountain Gap into Erwin with a shuttle, that's about 20 miles maybe?

Would you actually do 10 miles a day with someone who has not backpacked?

Jonathan

Local
11-02-2007, 15:30
Consider staying in Damascus at one of our bed and breakfasts (http://www.damascus.org/lodging.html) - we're 43 miles from Boone -

and doing a day hike up to Wilburn Ridge, like bigcranky says, starting from Grayson Highlands, about 45 minutes away (http://www.richardsmith.net/wrsunrise1.html)

and then coming back to Damascus for a fine meal at Damascus Eats or Sicily's, then riding the Creeper Trail the next day (http://www.vacreepertrail.us/) or just hiking a section of the Creeper.

It's already snowed near Whitetop and I'm not sure you want a novice camper up in the high places camping out.

Bootstrap
11-02-2007, 15:40
http://www.richardsmith.net/wrsunrise1.html

That's completely irresistable.

It's already snowed near Whitetop and I'm not sure you want a novice camper up in the high places camping out.

Hmmm. I suppose you're right. Sigh.

Jonathan

Tipi Walter
11-02-2007, 15:41
I moved to Boone in 1973 and backpacked about every trail(and bushwacked where there are no trails)for years before moving to Tennessee in 2001. Here's where I'd go: Take hiway 105 out of Boone and go thru Linville and head south on hiway 181 like you're going to Morganton. As you descend the mountain you'll be going thru Pisgah Forest on both sides of the road and with a map(Wilson Creek map comes to mind)you'll see backpacking options everywhere.

My choice would be to turn left onto Forest Road 982 and after crossing a high concrete bridge bear left again onto FR 197. Park at the dead end and follow Trail 268A as it winds on the right side of Upper Creek(just follow the old road to where it stops and the trail continues thru some rhodo).:) This short trail(about 2 miles)puts one into a beautiful campsite with several water sources(a 100 foot waterfall is right behind the campsite)and good camping. From a basecamp here you can explore Upper Creek downstream where it opens up into a massive rock canyon much like Linville Gorge. Gotta check it out.

Another closer option is to go into Linville and turn left onto the old Roseborough Rd(1511)as it winds its way down to the Lost Cove/Harpers Creek trails. Alot of backpacking down there and the Mountains to Sea Trail also passes thru. All these directions are if you're coming down from Boone. Get the Wilson Creek Area Map and have fun.

little bear
11-02-2007, 15:46
Hey I know you said an over night but a nice trail for a day hike is the Daniel Boone trail off the Parkway. that is one of my favorite trails. It leaves from the Julian Price Campground and makes a loop back. It has lots of water falls and you hike along a river for a long time.

Just a thought on a nice trail.

LB

Uncle Silly
11-02-2007, 17:39
Boone's also reasonably close to Stone Mtn SP and Doughton SP. I've never camped in Stone Mtn SP, but Doughton has a nice backcountry campsite and a few miles of trail. It's near mp 241 on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Last time I went for a weekend, I got lost trying to get there... but the time before that, I parked at one of the Parkway overlooks, hiked in on the Bluff Mountain Trail (~7 miles) to the backcountry campsite, spent the next day dayhiking the Basin Creek Trail, and then hiked out the third day along a logging/fire road back to the Parkway. It's a beautiful area, and the Basin Creek Trail meanders thru the location of a settlement destroyed by landslides in the early 20th century. There's a preserved cabin and remains of chimneys from some of the homesteads.

Summit
11-02-2007, 21:54
Hey Bootstrap! Another thing we have in common . . . my son graduated from App State in '06. I miss Boone and loved visiting him. Spent a number of weekends, even several nights in the dorm the one year he lived in one (was an RA). Not much help on AT / trail suggestions in that area. I believe I did the Davenport Gap to Damascus section (about 210 miles) back in the early 1990s. Too long ago to remember much of the details.

Tennessee Viking
11-03-2007, 02:28
First off, what kind of hiker is your daughter? If she is a beginner, it can be a little of a challenge. But its quite a adventure for a good season hiker.

I do recommend the Roan Mountain area since you all will be coming from Boone, being the first section of trail to hit. The Roan Mtn area is one of the popular AT sections with the ASU crowd. We at the TEHCC are always gracious with the student volunteers from ASU that come out with our club to help build new trail. Currently, ASU has been helping us with relocating Bear Branch.

But the only problem is that most of the SoBos are making their trek through the area. Smaller shelters will be harder to get into if needed. Pisgah has issued a fire ban recently, so any camping out with fires on the Roan Highlands especially in the upcoming cold weather is going to be cold night.

Instead of camping at Stan Murray, trek the extra mile to Overmountain Barn Shelter. It is quite larger in sleeping capacity, and the view of Roaring Creek Valley is excellent. While there, you can make a short hike on the Overmountain Victory Trail as our Revoluntionary fore-fathers once did. Stan Murray gets very windy and usually gets its share of bad weather when storms come over Roan.

Just be prepared water on Roan is scarce at the moment.

But Carvers Gap to 19E is fun. It is some of the most interesting AT trail around, and offers a good challenge.

Parking at Mountainer Harbour will be $5, or $2 parking fee with a shuttle (shuttle fees vary per location).

Another good section is Bitter End to 19E. Its a bit dry in that area but you can visit 2 waterfalls on trail (Mountaineer & Jones), 2 additional ones if you venture off trail (Upper Jones & Elk). Mountaineer shelter is one of newest and one of the larger shelters (sleeps almost 20). And a little note, while building the Elk River relocation, it was ASU students who discovered the Mountaineer Falls.

Also, look at the MST from Beacon Heights to NC 181 through the Wilson Creek area. It has some of the largest concentration of waterfalls and cascades around.

Possum Bill
11-03-2007, 23:46
If you're wanting somewhere close to 19E then I agree that Carver's Gap to Yellow Mountain Gap would be your best bet especially for a first-time hiker. You could start at Carver's and then camp somewhere around the Overmountain Barn then return to Carver's the following day. I hear there's still a trickle of water at the barn too (I'll find out tomorrow for sure because I'm going on a day hike up the Overmountain Victory Trail... I'll let you know). I'm not so sure you couldn't have a fire too if you camped left of the old fence (heading north) at Yellow Mtn Gap. I would think that would be Cherokee instead of Pisgah since the trial is almost right on the state line there, but I'm not 100% sure.

Earlier this spring, I took my 8 year old son, and 13 year old daughter on that exact hike from Carver's to Yellow Mtn Gap and return. It was their first over-nighter and they had a blast. Round trip it was about 10.5 miles.

Bootstrap
11-04-2007, 07:50
Also, the 13 miles from Carver Gap to US 19-E are just spectacular. I'd want a shuttle for that, so I could hit all the balds, but then that locks you into a schedule for pick-up (as you shouldn't leave your car at 19-E).

I did this with my dad about two weeks ago (starting at US 19-E, ending at Hughes Gap), and it was wonderful. We stayed at the Mountain Harbour and used their shuttle service, which was also great (both the hiker's cabin and the reliable shuttle service at a very reasonable fee). If we used the shuttle to get us to Carver's Gap, we could then hike back to Mountain Harbour and not worry about the schedule.

Boone is less than an hour from Damascus, which opens up a lot of the Virginia high country. I like the AT/Pine Mountain Trail at Mt Rogers as a loop, either a solid day or an easy overnight hike. Great scenery and wild horses.

This is a place I've never been, and everyone raves about it, which makes it very attractive.

Jonathan

Bootstrap
11-04-2007, 07:52
You could hike from Iron Mountain Gap into Erwin with a shuttle, that's about 20 miles maybe? Goes over Beauty Spot and is mostly downhill.

How would you rate the scenery on this section? Does it rate with the Mt. Rogers area or the Southern Balds section? Tell me about Beauty Spot ...

Jonathan

Bootstrap
11-04-2007, 07:54
Consider staying in Damascus at one of our bed and breakfasts (http://www.damascus.org/lodging.html) - we're 43 miles from Boone -

and doing a day hike up to Wilburn Ridge, like bigcranky says, starting from Grayson Highlands, about 45 minutes away (http://www.richardsmith.net/wrsunrise1.html)

and then coming back to Damascus for a fine meal at Damascus Eats or Sicily's, then riding the Creeper Trail the next day (http://www.vacreepertrail.us/) or just hiking a section of the Creeper.

Good plan! This may very well be what we do.

Jonathan

Bootstrap
11-04-2007, 07:57
I moved to Boone in 1973 and backpacked about every trail(and bushwacked where there are no trails)for years before moving to Tennessee in 2001. Here's where I'd go: Take hiway 105 out of Boone and go thru Linville and head south on hiway 181 like you're going to Morganton. As you descend the mountain you'll be going thru Pisgah Forest on both sides of the road and with a map(Wilson Creek map comes to mind)you'll see backpacking options everywhere.

My choice would be to turn left onto Forest Road 982 and after crossing a high concrete bridge bear left again onto FR 197. Park at the dead end and follow Trail 268A as it winds on the right side of Upper Creek(just follow the old road to where it stops and the trail continues thru some rhodo).:) This short trail(about 2 miles)puts one into a beautiful campsite with several water sources(a 100 foot waterfall is right behind the campsite)and good camping. From a basecamp here you can explore Upper Creek downstream where it opens up into a massive rock canyon much like Linville Gorge. Gotta check it out.

Another closer option is to go into Linville and turn left onto the old Roseborough Rd(1511)as it winds its way down to the Lost Cove/Harpers Creek trails. Alot of backpacking down there and the Mountains to Sea Trail also passes thru. All these directions are if you're coming down from Boone. Get the Wilson Creek Area Map and have fun.

This is excellent information! I might decide not to try the camping part with my daughter until it gets warmer, but I'm adding this to my "todo list" for places I might want to go myself or at a warmer time with my daughter.

And I guess I'll have to add that map to my collection ;->

I have a pile of maps on my bathroom floor, I like to browse them ...

Jonathan

Bootstrap
11-04-2007, 08:05
Hey I know you said an over night but a nice trail for a day hike is the Daniel Boone trail off the Parkway. that is one of my favorite trails. It leaves from the Julian Price Campground and makes a loop back. It has lots of water falls and you hike along a river for a long time.

Just a thought on a nice trail.

LB

How long is this trail?

I have a Google Map that contains places I want to get to. I'm adding these places to it. I'll be in Boone plenty over the next few years ;->

Jonathan

Bootstrap
11-04-2007, 08:12
Boone's also reasonably close to Stone Mtn SP and Doughton SP. I've never camped in Stone Mtn SP, but Doughton has a nice backcountry campsite and a few miles of trail. It's near mp 241 on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Last time I went for a weekend, I got lost trying to get there... but the time before that, I parked at one of the Parkway overlooks, hiked in on the Bluff Mountain Trail (~7 miles) to the backcountry campsite, spent the next day dayhiking the Basin Creek Trail, and then hiked out the third day along a logging/fire road back to the Parkway. It's a beautiful area, and the Basin Creek Trail meanders thru the location of a settlement destroyed by landslides in the early 20th century. There's a preserved cabin and remains of chimneys from some of the homesteads.

Hah, good thing she's got 3 years left, I'm adding this to the map too, it sounds wonderful!

Jonathan

Bootstrap
11-04-2007, 08:15
First off, what kind of hiker is your daughter? If she is a beginner, it can be a little of a challenge. But its quite a adventure for a good season hiker.

She's a beginner, but in good shape and optimistic. And I agree it's quite a nice adventure, I just did it a few weeks ago with my father. I'm thinking I'd like to do it again in the Spring, with different vegetation, rather than repeat the trip I just did.

Another good section is Bitter End to 19E. Its a bit dry in that area but you can visit 2 waterfalls on trail (Mountaineer & Jones), 2 additional ones if you venture off trail (Upper Jones & Elk). Mountaineer shelter is one of newest and one of the larger shelters (sleeps almost 20). And a little note, while building the Elk River relocation, it was ASU students who discovered the Mountaineer Falls.

Also, look at the MST from Beacon Heights to NC 181 through the Wilson Creek area. It has some of the largest concentration of waterfalls and cascades around.

Thanks - watefalls are always a draw. I'll start looking into these sections as well.

Jonathan

Local
11-04-2007, 10:29
Good plan! This may very well be what we do.

Jonathan

If you stay in Damascus the best breakfast in town (imho) is at the Lazy Fox Inn (http://www.lazyfoxinn.com/). The best individual rooms are at Dancing Bear (http://www.dancingbearrentals.com/), no breakfast. If you do Wilburn Ridge you will probably want to park at Grayson Highlands State Park (http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/gra.shtml). It's a good slog up to the ridge but the views are worth it. If you decide to ride bikes on the Creeper Trail, there are several bike shuttle places (http://www.damascus.org/biking.html). 17 miles mostly downhill from Whitetop to Damascus. Great scenery and lots of places to stop. If you do this anytime soon, the temperature is dropping, as you know, 20s and below in the high places.

Possum Bill
11-04-2007, 18:45
If you decide to do the Roan Highlands, water is fine. I did a day hike up the Overmountain Trail to Hump and water at the Overmountain Barn was very good. I also passed a Sobo and she said water at Doll Flats was also flowing good.

Tennessee Viking
11-04-2007, 21:54
She's a beginner, but in good shape and optimistic. And I agree it's quite a nice adventure, I just did it a few weeks ago with my father. I'm thinking I'd like to do it again in the Spring, with different vegetation, rather than repeat the trip I just did.

Thanks - watefalls are always a draw. I'll start looking into these sections as well.

Jonathan
I would say the only hard parts for a beginner would be coming down off of Grassy Ridge to Stan Murray, it is very rugged with roots, rocks, and washout. Hump is a sharp 500 ft climb. Then coming back in front of Hump gets very rocky. But you can take a lunch or small break at Doll Flats before making the last 3 miles. Ankles and knees will definitely be sore

I would wait for the spring, and for the draught to end. There has been report that even reputable sources are going dry on the Roan Highlands. Plus, the Roans should be a little greener.

Tennessee Viking
11-04-2007, 21:57
If you decide to do the Roan Highlands, water is fine. I did a day hike up the Overmountain Trail to Hump and water at the Overmountain Barn was very good. I also passed a Sobo and she said water at Doll Flats was also flowing good.
Glad to here that Roans have some water. I had just put pipes in at Apple House and Doll Flats right as the draught was getting started. Then I get the report that Doll Flats and up Roan High Knob was going dry.

Flush2wice
11-05-2007, 01:16
Took my daughter on her 1st "real" hike Saturday. She just turned 7 about 2 weeks ago. We went from Carver's gap to Hughes gap and she kicked butt. 5 miles. She took her Fisher Price digital camera and plans to write a report for school. 3 hours, 45 minutes. Had lunch at Roan High Knob shelter. The water was flowing, but slowly. It was 38 degrees up there at 12:30. She wants to do a hike every week now.
So I'm figuring out how to section from Erwin to 19E in 5ish mile chunks.
Next plan is to take her golfing.

Tennessee Viking
11-05-2007, 01:28
Indian Grave Gap to Iron Mtn Gap shouldnt be too hard with FS 230 following the trail for up to the Unaka summit climb.

Being located in Buladean. You could continue from Hughes Gap to Greasy Creek, and take the side trail out.