PDA

View Full Version : Extra length in a winter sleeping bag?

Dirtygaiters
11-02-2007, 16:51
I'm looking for a winter sleeping bag and an interesting subject came up. I'm about 5'11" and fit into most regular length sleeping bags very well. However, there's not a lot of extra room by my feet for something like a nalgene bottle full of hot water or extra clothes. What's everybody's thoughts on this? Is the extra length better for the added storage space by my feet or is it better to get the regular length bag because of less dead air space at the foot end (seems like it would be less efficient and colder to have 7" of empty sleeping bag).

dessertrat
11-02-2007, 17:02
It's a little less efficient, but the longer the bag the better, I think, just for the stuff you mention.

Roland
11-02-2007, 17:02
~ I'm about 5'11" and fit into most regular length sleeping bags very well.

~ Is the extra length better for the added storage space by my feet or is it better to get the regular length bag because of less dead air space at the foot end (seems like it would be less efficient and colder to have 7" of empty sleeping bag).

If a regular fits you well, I would go with that. Apply the money you save towards buying a better quality bag, or for over-fill.

The larger the bag, the more body heat it takes to warm the space.

take-a-knee
11-02-2007, 19:02
If a regular fits you well, I would go with that. Apply the money you save towards buying a better quality bag, or for over-fill.

The larger the bag, the more body heat it takes to warm the space.

I tried this many years ago with a North Face Superlight rated to +5, I'm 5'8" and I couldn't get near that temp with that bag. I'd say stick with what fits.

BlackCloud
11-02-2007, 19:55
I say stick w/ a bag that fits you correctly. It can get damn cold down there where your feet ain't, & you're packing the xtra weight for what? A couple of bottles will fit in w/ you anyway....

Dakota Dan
11-02-2007, 20:01
I have to vote for the longer bag, especially if you plan to be in freezing temps at times. I put boots(if muddy in a bag 1st) then put them and socks in the foot, along with any other clothing or food stuff you don't want to freeze. I've tried wearing "BOOTSICKLES" before, will absolutely destroy the feet, besides warm boots feel pretty good on those frozen mornings.

BlackCloud
11-03-2007, 12:21
I do hate cold boots; I keep them inside the tent which helps, but it's no substitute for warm ones....:rolleyes:

Toolshed
11-03-2007, 13:10
I used to do a lot of climbing as well as help with winter backpacking/camping/snowshoeing seminars for an outdoor org where we had a lot trips that fall into subzero range in the High Peaks in the NE for a number of years.

We always recommended a longer bag if possible as a place to put your boot liners, dry clothing and a hot lexan nalgene bottle. If you are at the length of your bag now (5'11" in a 6' bag), I would consider the additional space.
If you have damp clothing or bootliners, a large ziplock bag is geat for sealing them before placing them in the bottom of your bag.

The bag rating really needs to match expected conditions for starters, but a boiling hot nalgene bottle easily heats up that extra space (as well as you) and allows you to start the morning with warm water rather than melting snow or using your ice axe to chop (or re-open) a hole in the ice over a stream.

Squeaky 2
11-03-2007, 14:06
i noticed when i put wet shoes and clothes in plastic bags in my sleeping bag it brought the rating down considerably. you will need atleast an extra 5f for storing wet gear inside. keep the bag as tight as possible. a loose fitting bag will be to inefficent for winter hiking. i had a 0 degree feathered friends bag (puma) and found i could get all i needed in with me. it costs around $500 and is worth every penny. about 2 1/2 pounds aswell!

Rain Man
11-03-2007, 17:34
... I put boots(if muddy in a bag 1st) then put them and socks in the foot, along with any other clothing or food stuff you don't want to freeze...

AMEN. Same here.

Rain:sunMan

Montana AT05
11-07-2007, 14:20
I do a lot of winter camping.

Winter Camping. Longer Bag. Good.

Even if you don't stick your smelly boots in your bag and gag all night long, a longer bag lets you hunker down inside and ensures the bag will close over your head easily. I hate just fitting into a bag and when I pull the hood on, my head and feet are straining the ends of the bag.

Worried about heating efficiency? Don't be. It's not like your heating an extra 100 sq feet of room here. Just stick your excess clothes inside.

Dakota Dan
11-07-2007, 18:17
I do a lot of winter camping.

Winter Camping. Longer Bag. Good.

Even if you don't stick your smelly boots in your bag and gag all night long, a longer bag lets you hunker down inside and ensures the bag will close over your head easily. I hate just fitting into a bag and when I pull the hood on, my head and feet are straining the ends of the bag.

Worried about heating efficiency? Don't be. It's not like your heating an extra 100 sq feet of room here. Just stick your excess clothes inside.

I've learned you've got to be careful with the info being given out, like the heat loss from a longer bag thing, or on another thread that stated certain name brand socks had a "Lifetime" warranty, or the water in certain rivers is great, etc, etc. But, that said, most of the info here on WB seems to be pretty reliable. From experience, the info you just gave on the longer bag is right-on.

Stormennorm
11-07-2007, 19:03
You could always look into a montbell bag. It has a draw string at the feet so you can tighten it to keep your feet in there own space or stuff the bottom of the bag up into the sleeping bag making it shorter with alot more feathers at your feet to keep the warm :rolleyes:. or just keep it open to have more space at your feet. I love this option on my bag.

shelterbuilder
11-07-2007, 19:13
If you can afford it, get the extra long bag for your wrapped boots and maybe a water bottle. Thawed water in the morning is a joy, and unfrozen boots are a blessing!:banana