PDA

View Full Version : How much water do you carry?

BDinSC
11-02-2007, 21:38
What is the average amount of water that you generally carry while on the trail. Assume that there are a few unrelaible water sources and that the hike is in cool weather over moderate/strenuous country.

Phreak
11-02-2007, 21:48
2-3 liters

Possum Bill
11-02-2007, 22:16
I carry 4 liters in questionable conditions, but I sweat a lot.

take-a-knee
11-02-2007, 22:17
I'd say 3-4 liters, if you have to make a dry camp, you have to eat supper, then breakfast the next morning, plus have water to properly hydrate yourself as you hike. You should have enough containers to carry at least 4L, five wouldn't hurt. It the water situation is unknown down the trail, you'd best fill and carry all you can.

saimyoji
11-02-2007, 22:46
At least 4 L. I need lots of water.

Bootstrap
11-02-2007, 22:57
What is the average amount of water that you generally carry while on the trail. Assume that there are a few unrelaible water sources and that the hike is in cool weather over moderate/strenuous country.

If I know there might be questionable water sources, I probably have a plan for where to get water, and I'm asking hikers coming the other way about water sources. Even if I know I can probably get water every 4 hours, I keep 2 liters on hand, and 3 if there's any question. If I don't have a confirmed source of water ahead, I might carry 4 if I want to make sure I have enough water for supper and breakfast.

If water is completely reliable, I still top up to 2 liters, but I drink a lot.

Jonathan

hopefulhiker
11-02-2007, 23:00
In 05 when there was water everywhere I got by with a litre and half, but now with the drought I would carry 4 litres, maybe even five...

FatMan
11-02-2007, 23:08
Your question should really be "how much water capacity do you carry?" I hike with a 4.5 liter capacity. But I rarely carry more than 1-2 liters unless I am covering a known long distance between sources, or carrying for camping without a water source. I make a point of stopping at nearly all water sources and drinking as much as my gut can hold and then carry only enough to get to the next source. Water capacity is light. Water is heavy. Only use your full capacity when you know it is required to, or you are uncertain as to the next source. If you are unfamiliar with the trail and/or you are hiking during dry times make it a point to check with all on coming hikers for usable water sources down the trail. Information is the key when it comes to carrying the correct amount of water.

Footslogger
11-02-2007, 23:28

===============================================

I generally start each hiking day with a 1.8 Liter Platypus and a 20 oz Gatorade bottle.

'Slogger

Kerosene
11-03-2007, 07:33
Wow, I thought that I carried a lot of water. I typically have the capacity to carry 2.5-3 liters, and usually lug 2 liters at a time unless I'm confident of the upcoming water supply. I ran out of water on a hot day and never want to repeat that experience.

oops56
11-03-2007, 08:02
This liter thing get me we live in America we have oz. quart gallon etc. So what in the word is a liter something to eat or what.Or is that Mr. Bush:D

rafe
11-03-2007, 08:08
This liter thing get me we live in America we have oz. quart gallon etc. So what in the word is a liter something to eat or what.Or is that Mr. Bush:D

I'm not sure if you're seriously asking, or what. A liter is about a quart.

woodsy
11-03-2007, 08:27
I carry#2, 1 quart gatorade bottles=64 0z.:D

oops56
11-03-2007, 08:29
Thanks that better 32 oz. why i ask is if you are cooking or baking all package say cups oz. teaspoon etc have not seen a box or package say liter.

warraghiyagey
11-03-2007, 08:31
Or about a litre:p

hopefulhiker
11-03-2007, 08:37
With all the dry water sources it looks like sometimes you will be hiking into a dry camp.....

Jaybird
11-03-2007, 08:40

i carry 2 liters with me...i drink a load of water...HYDRATE or DIE!

good luck with yer hike

Blissful
11-03-2007, 08:54
I probably would start with with 2 liters in a Playtpus (carry capacity though is 3 liters) and a soda bottle full. But I never drank as much as I should.

wrongway_08
11-03-2007, 15:17
3 liters, always.

Chainsaw 08
11-06-2007, 10:33
Thanks that better 32 oz. why i ask is if you are cooking or baking all package say cups oz. teaspoon etc have not seen a box or package say liter.
Then you're not looking. Soda is often sold in 2 L and 500 mL bottles. More to the point of the thread, Platypuses are sized in liters.

MOWGLI
11-06-2007, 11:02
The best way to carry water is inside of you. I try not to ever carry more than 2 liters - but will carry more if I think that I'll have to walk 8-10 miles to find the next water.

neo
11-06-2007, 11:41

one liter in most cases in the winter,2 liters in warmer months
rarely 3 liters:cool: neo

High Altitude
11-06-2007, 12:30
4L capacity (6L if water sources reach 20miles), camel up at sources, carry no more than 2L unless I know it is going to be a long distance (over 10 miles) between water sources.

shelterbuilder
11-06-2007, 13:14
Although I have the capacity to carry 3 to 5 L., I usually only hike with 1, unless I have the dog with me - oops, that's a different thread!

I find that, for myself, hiking with one liter (but cameling up at every water source) is enough for me to go 6 to 10 miles if I have to.

Rainman
11-06-2007, 13:37
3 liters to start the day in my internal hydration pouch. If there is water along the way during the day I'll take a break and mix up a liter of Gatorade in one of the two empty liter soda bottles I carry and chug that before walking again. I find that if I can get a couple of liters of Gatorade during the day I almost always have water in the hydration pouch at the end of a 10 - 15 mile day.

If there is no water along the way, I can usually get the same distance with the 3 liters in the hydration pouch, but it is empty by the end of the day. Then I use the two empty liter bottles for cooking / camp and refill the hydration pouch for the next day. It chills overnight and I am ready to go.

mountaineer
11-06-2007, 15:14
I used the same system as Rainman - my bladder held 2.5 liters, which was enough in the cooler weather, and in warmer weather added 1-2 1L Gatorade bottles for Gatorade and/or water. I think I drink more water than average though (true at home, as well), but I was willing to carry the extra weight to have enough rather than run out (which majorly SUCKS when it happens).

Lone Wolf
11-06-2007, 15:15

no more than a quart and 1/2 for me

Gray Blazer
11-06-2007, 15:17

Take me to your liter?

YeOldeBackpacker
11-06-2007, 17:00
2 to 3 liters I drink a lot while I'm hiking.

CherrypieScout
11-06-2007, 17:29
I carry 3. In the mornings before I leave camp I guzzle a litre to hydrate myself. then I carry 3. I aslo carry a platypus incase I need to carry more - overnight without water coming up. When I get to camp, I'll drink another litre - not too late in the evening though :)
I have been without water in July - will never repeat that mistake!

Uncle Silly
11-06-2007, 18:35

Or about a litre:p

Reread. 2x 1qt gatorade bottles = 64 oz = about 2 liters. (Each 1qt (=32oz) bottle holds about 1L.)

I carry 7L of capacity (a 1L nalgene, a 2L camelbak, plus a 4L camp bag); I'll typically fill the camelbak in the morning, then use the nalgene at water crossings during the day. This allows me to avoid draining the camelbak; unpacking it and repacking it is a pain. The camp bag only gets filled up at camp, or at the last water crossing before camp if I'm planning to camp at a dry spot.

Froggy
11-07-2007, 11:23
Liters are units of volume, like gallons or quarts. Ounces are units of mass, like pounds, grams and tons.

Food is sold by the mass unit, not the volume unit.

Measuring cups are marked in units of volume if metric. When marked in ounces, it is the volume of water that has that much mass, which is marked.

I don't know the temperature and pressure under which the water density is determined, but it is probably the standard day at sea level (yes, there is an official, recognised, specification for those).

As the British have said, "a pint's a pound, the world around." They meant water.

Flush2wice
11-07-2007, 11:24
I figure about 1 liter gets me 10 miles. That means I almost never carry more than a half liter. The only time I would ever take more than a liter is in the current drought here in the south and the hike was 10-20 miles up on a ridge.
Back when I was in shape and the rainfall was normal, I would often only carry an empty pepsi bottle and drink at sources.
You guys really carry 3 liters?? This ain't the Sahara.

Uncle Silly
11-07-2007, 12:07
Liters are units of volume, like gallons or quarts. Ounces are units of mass, like pounds, grams and tons.

Correct, but inaccurate. Here we're discussing "fluid ounces", which are units of volume. It is true that one fluid ounce of water has approximately one ounce of mass (Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_ounce) gives the equivalence at 1 fl.oz. = 1.04 oz., but this can vary with water temperature and altitude/environmental pressure).

Normally, "ounce" is assumed to be the mass unit, unless "fluid ounce" is specified. But it is common to omit the "fluid" when context makes it clear we're talking about liquids.

dessertrat
11-07-2007, 13:34
A lot of it depends upon load. If you're carrying 40 pounds uphill, you use a lot of water. If you have twenty pounds and are on the flats, you can probably get by with less than half as much water.

rafe
11-07-2007, 13:40

The AT sure felt like that, on occasion, this summer. I didn't intend to carry more than a couple of liters, but there were several occasions when I wished I'd started with more.

faarside
11-07-2007, 13:54
I have a CARRY CAPACITY of 4 quarts (approx. 4 liters), but usually have a consumable supply of 2 quarts (approx. 2 liters) on hand at any given time. If water availability is in question, I press my other bottles into service at the next water source. I probably don't drink as much as I should, but I DO NOT want to get caught dry! I have never carried more than 4 quarts total.

Happy Trails!

Rainman
11-07-2007, 13:55
I figure about 1 liter gets me 10 miles. That means I almost never carry more than a half liter. The only time I would ever take more than a liter is in the current drought here in the south and the hike was 10-20 miles up on a ridge.
Back when I was in shape and the rainfall was normal, I would often only carry an empty Pepsi bottle and drink at sources.

My old dad used to say, "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it." Certainly there are limits to that statement, which I'm sure someone will point out, but when it comes to water . . .. I've waked several miles thirsty because a source I was counting on ran dry. I want to avoid that if I can.

canerunner
11-07-2007, 14:44
I carry a 3 liter Nalgene hydration bladder that I always fill at the beginning of each day (if water is available). I also carry a Nalgene 96 ounce canteen, and depending on whether I anticipate a dry camp or a long distance between refill points, I may or may not fill that at the beginning of each day.

This past weekend, I did a loop hike in the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness, and because of the drought, and the fact that I planned to camp on the ridge at Naked Ground, I filled both before I started up the mountain. It was a good thing I did. When I got back to the car Sunday, I only had about 1/2 liter left in my hydration bladder, and the creek I crossed on the way from the trailhead to the car was the first water I saw after I left the creek where I filled my canteen.

How much water you carry has to depend on what conditions are like where you intend to hike, how long it will be before you can refill, how many hot meals you intend to cook that require water, and how much water your body will require under the hiking conditions you will likely encounter.

Several of these can only be determined by you when you plan your hike.

trippclark
11-07-2007, 15:54

Rarely more than 2 liters/quarts. I try to work off of 1 liter bottle during the day and fill up a second bottle later in the day so that I have 2 liters for supper and breakfast.

ScottP
11-11-2007, 04:13
On the AT, almost never any. There are a few sections where i'll carry 1-2 liters if i know i'm going to be without water for a while.

Rockman1
11-11-2007, 22:01
I never carried more than 2 liters my entire thru-hike although there were two occasions that I wished I had carried more due to unexpected dried up springs.
- Rockman

Tinker
11-11-2007, 22:32
Assuming it's hot and dry, I'd carry 2-3 liters. When it's been raining for several days, I might only carry one, if the maps and book indicate multiple water sources. Generally, the higher up you go, the harder it is to find reliable water sources.

briarpatch
11-11-2007, 23:55
In normal times, I usually carry 2x1 liter platys, plus a 20 oz coke bottle on my shoulder strap. But with the current water situation in GA, I carry an extra 2-4 liters for a total of 4-6 liters plus the 20 oz bottle. I figure that with all of the dry stretches, if I don't need the water, someone else will.

Just a Hiker
11-12-2007, 00:03
I am probably going to catch Hell for this observation, but I am going to say it anyway. This year not withstanding, a person doesn't need to carry alot of water on the AT. In many areas on the AT, I don't carry any water.....I just drink when I find water along the way. This is not to say I don't carry water at times, and it also doesn't mean I haven't gotten my azz in trouble, because I have. It's just as a whole, and under normal circumstances, the AT has alot of water.:)

Just Jim

LastHonestFool
11-12-2007, 00:10
3 liters....and I fill it when it gets to about 2 liters, regardless of when the next source is....I find that system works well for me :)

88BlueGT
11-13-2007, 01:17
For the people who responded 3L plus, Im guessing you guys are using water blatters?

WalkingStick75
11-13-2007, 21:20
I too am really surprised so many people are carrying so much water. I can only remember a handfull of times when I carried 3 liters and only once whne I carried 4 and that was only the last mile because I was told the spring was dry. Even if I plan on spending the night on a peak or ridge I figure 1 qt to get there, 1 qt for dinner and 1 qt in the morning to get me to the next water source.
Gnerally I start the day with 1.5 liters, I camel up before I leave camp in the morning and when I resuply I camel up again

Patrickjd9
11-13-2007, 22:13
I generally start with 3 to 3 1/2 liters, though I usually drink down a liter in the first hour or two.

wrongway_08
11-14-2007, 10:14
3 liters....and I fill it when it gets to about 2 liters, regardless of when the next source is....I find that system works well for me :)

I try to do the same. I dont think on the A.T. that water would be a problem but I try to keep as hydrated as possible.

Our Major that took over our training had a sayn "if your yellow - your wrong". If your piss is yellow, you are not drinking enough. While hiking all day its hard to drink enough to get a clear stream all the time but if you aim for drinking enough to get a clear stream, your body will recover faster over night and your body is better able to control its temp in hot weather.

Works for me and it take at least 2 - 4 liters a day while hiking for me to keep it clear.

oops56
11-14-2007, 10:34
I knew that about clear and yellow for years just did not know how to say it.

splatman
11-20-2007, 11:11
1-2 liters, unless availabilty is questionable. I won't carry more than one liter if water is plentiful. By the time the liter is gone it's time to stop & fill up at a source and take a short rest break.

Johnny Thunder
11-20-2007, 11:56
I normally carry 1.5 to 2 liters...will happily carry 4 or 5 within a few miles of camp if the water source is over .25 from the shelter/site.

Anyone find that they drink a lot starting out in the morning and then significantly less as the day goes on?

Mags
11-20-2007, 12:18
I carry 1 ltr per 5 miles. For the AT that (usually) means min. water carrying.

If I dry camp, I figure 1.5 liters + however many ltrs I need to get to the next water supply from camp. That is usually enough to cook dinner, have some water to drink at night and to get me started in the morning.

Marta
11-20-2007, 12:21
I normally carry 1.5 to 2 liters...will happily carry 4 or 5 within a few miles of camp if the water source is over .25 from the shelter/site.

Anyone find that they drink a lot starting out in the morning and then significantly less as the day goes on?

Yep. I loaf around camp in the morning, drinking lots of weak tea, and maybe some Cytomax with water. Once I finally get moving, I don't like to stop for long, which includes taking long side trails to water sources. So I'll carry an extra liter rather than stop a lot to get water.

Bootstrap
11-20-2007, 12:57

Yes - I wonder if that's related to caffeine intake. When backpacking, I tend to drink my caffeine in the morning and caffeine is a diuretic.

Jonathan

splatman
11-23-2007, 11:28
Anyone find that they drink a lot starting out in the morning and then significantly less as the day goes on?[/quote]

I always stash more water for camp - usually 1.5-2 liters. Great for cooking dinner, morning coffee and a quick start out of camp in the morning. I do like to drink alot of H2O in the am, theory being a persons blood gets thicker overnite due to lack of hydration. If you're into cardio exercise in the morning, (and hiking fits that), it's a good idea to "camel-up" early so your heart doesn't have to push sludge around your arteries. I'm not a big breakfast guy by nature, and like to sip coffee in the morning, so I find that when I need to, I have to force my water intake.
Unless I'm really thirsty, I generally don't drink alot after setting camp. I like to sleep through the night, and getting up to pee isn't something I want to do more than once.
Another thought is when hiking, remember to ask other hikers about water sources, it should become a priority. I pack a liter bottle, and a 1.5 liter bladder for storage. I only carry about 1 liter of H2O for 3-5 miles. I can always pick up another bladder if I know trail conditions ahead are dry.