PDA

View Full Version : Damascus area

Ashman
11-03-2007, 17:06
Greetings. I have been lurking around for a few months, first time poster here. I am getting ready to go on my first backpacking trip in over 15 years. A few friends are going up to Damascus looking to to do about 10-15 miles this upcoming weekend. Has anyone been up in that area recently? How available is the water? thanks for any tips or advice you can offer.

Pacific Tortuga
11-03-2007, 17:11
:welcome all you ever wanted to know and some stuff you didn't want, can be found here. If you need a shuttle, see if L. Wolf is available, have a great trip.

Ashman
11-03-2007, 18:36
Thanks for the welcome. I am gald to find the site. I am bit overwhelmed at all the info. Its been a while since I have been on the trail. I am excited to get back out there but also a bit aprehensive. I have learned alot here already!

Lone Wolf
11-03-2007, 19:38
Greetings. I have been lurking around for a few months, first time poster here. I am getting ready to go on my first backpacking trip in over 15 years. A few friends are going up to Damascus looking to to do about 10-15 miles this upcoming weekend. Has anyone been up in that area recently? How available is the water? thanks for any tips or advice you can offer.

water sources are low to non-existent. you lookin' to day hike 15 or overnight?

Tennessee Viking
11-03-2007, 22:18
WNC communities are lurking near emergency procedures if it doesn't rain soon.

Mt Rogers is pratically bone dry. Higher elevations in TN/NC are low or dry. Only the lowlands seem to have any water left, but they are suffering too.

Ashman
11-04-2007, 08:03
Looking to do an overnight. Get there Friday night hike in a bit. Do about 8 miles on Saturday and the rest on Sunday. Should we plan on packing in extra water?

Lone Wolf
11-04-2007, 09:55
yes. definitely haul extra water. stash some at a road crossing if possible

mtnkngxt
11-04-2007, 17:46
SW VA and TN are at near critical levels I has to filter out of some very questionable sources today that if I had any other choice I would have never touched. I ended up using my filter and then boiling it just to make sure it was that bad.