PDA

View Full Version : Donate to Whiteblaze

woodsy
11-03-2007, 19:47
If you enjoy and benefit from the infomation you get at Whiteblaze, consider donating $10.00 to keep the site up and running.
I donated$ 20.00 for the administration putting up with me:rolleyes:
If you participate here in the forums and enjoy doing so, consider helping keeping this valuable info alive by donating $10.00- 20.00 dollars.:)Whiteblaze thanks you!:sun And you get to edit your posts too, you know, spelling errors, erasing things you didn't really mean, deleting posts entirely, LOL
Woodsy

Lone Wolf
11-03-2007, 19:54
If you enjoy and benefit from the infomation you get at Whiteblaze, consider donating $10.00 to keep the site up and running.
If you participate here in the forums and enjoy doing so, consider helping keeping this valuable info alive by donating $10.00- 20.00 dollars.:)Whiteblaze thanks you!:sun And you get to edit your posts too, you know, spelling errors, erasing things you didn't really mean, deleting posts entirely, LOL
Woodsy

i donated FIFTY!

Sly
11-03-2007, 19:56
i donated FIFTY!

Or $.004 per post. That's deal!

Lone Wolf
11-03-2007, 19:58
Or $.004 per post. That's deal!

i had entertainment to a mostly boring site. i should get paid

woodsy
11-03-2007, 19:58
i donated FIFTY!
Nice, you're a good man L. Wolf!:) I don't care what anyone else says about you:cool:

Sly
11-03-2007, 20:20
LOL... Yeah, maybe Appalachian Tater will take up a collection!

Creek Dancer
11-03-2007, 21:07
I think that it's especially important to donate something if you advertise your websites as part of your signature where you sell things for a profit.

oops56
11-03-2007, 21:34
Yep i did donate i don't hike or do much camping any more just a day out or 4 days camp ground. A funny thing happen some how got a spy ware or spam could not get to this site for a mouth Sgt. Rock fix me up thanks Sgt. And the better half who tried also thanks both.:D

FatMan
11-03-2007, 21:49
Great site and worthy of a donation to keep it up and running. I donated a benjamin.

Sly
11-03-2007, 22:09
I think that it's especially important to donate something if you advertise your websites as part of your signature.....

Thanks for the reminder! :D

Doughnut
11-03-2007, 22:13
Much cheaper to donate than to go buy books with all the useful and real time information on this site!
Thanks WhiteBlaze!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-03-2007, 22:28
If LW's gonna get paid, I'm assuming my check is in the mail..... :D

I donate as well. The info here regarding the AT is more comprehensive than can be found anywhere else. The info regarding gear is also excellent. The info regarding other hiking trails is building. The membership includes people who are involved in conservation efforts, several of the gear manufacturers, officials from the ATC and several other hiking organizations, people who have hike well in excess of 10,000 miles, some of the most innovative stove makers and shelter designers to be found. Show me any other on-line hiking site that has this kind of knowledge base.

And then there is the entertainment.... where else do you have things like Jack T. logging on as Miss Janet and giving Fabian a sex change (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17951&highlight=medical) or the antics of LW or The Hillbilly Yard Sale thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24478) or the Minnesota Smith Update thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13082)(warning - you will be up all night reading this) or or a toe-biting dino with photoshop :D

woodsy
11-04-2007, 08:40
FD: And then there is the entertainment..
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that....priceless

Kirby
11-04-2007, 10:08
Yeah... I've been meaning to donate, I think I will go put that check in the mail..

Kirby

maxNcathy
11-04-2007, 10:36
I finally broke down and donated.It is painlessly simple using Paypal. I feel really good about giving to this site and encourage everyone to give if you can.
Sandalwood

PS Hi to Lone Wolf whom I met briefly at Daniels

Lone Wolf
11-04-2007, 10:37
I finally broke down and donated.It is painlessly simple using Paypal. I feel really good about giving to this site and encourage everyone to give if you can.
Sandalwood

as in Daniels AYCE in Hiawassee? Hello again

Freeleo
11-04-2007, 10:44
Yeah... I've been meaning to donate, I think I will go put that check in the mail..

Kirby
kirby, if you have a bank account, it might be time to set up the paypal account...if you wish......it is an easy way to send funds fast if you eever want to buy used gear off here or ebay.....this is just in case you dont know but i assume you are aware...good day

faarside
11-04-2007, 10:47
This is THE BEST site for AT info and "fellowship". What you get and share here (in my opinion) cannot be had anywhere else. In a manner similar to public television, donations keep this "station" alive, and donation via PayPal was a SNAP! I just, for some reason, do not have one of those cool [DONATION+] icons under my trailname; however, no biggy. I feel good knowing my $$ have gone to an EXCELLENT cause! :sun

Happy Trails!

Skidsteer
11-04-2007, 10:51
This is THE BEST site for AT info and "fellowship". What you get and share here (in my opinion) cannot be had anywhere else. In a manner similar to public television, donations keep this "station" alive, and donation via PayPal was a SNAP! I just, for some reason, do not have one of those cool [DONATION+] icons under my trailname; however, no biggy. I feel good knowing my $$ have gone to an EXCELLENT cause! :sun

Happy Trails!

Go to your user cp and edit profile. Reset your user title and save changes.

Donating member should appear under your name on all your posts. You can also customize your user title in this way.

Sly
11-04-2007, 10:55

Donating member should appear under your name on all your posts. You can also customize your user title in this way.

Can I have donating member and hikertrash too! I'll go check.

Sly
11-04-2007, 10:58
Can I have donating member and hikertrash too! I'll go check.

Nope! Back to hikertrash. Sorry! :D

faarside
11-04-2007, 11:00

Done... Thanks Skids!

maxNcathy
11-04-2007, 11:04
as in Daniels AYCE in Hiawassee? Hello again

Yes, LW, that was the place..late March..I started at Springer on March 19th.

hurryinghoosier
11-04-2007, 11:27
My laptop has not been able to get to the whiteblaze page for about 6 weeks. I use my desktop OK. I have had all my friends look at the laptop and we cant figure it out. Need help.
Ben

StarLyte
11-04-2007, 11:28
i had entertainment to a mostly boring site. i should get paid

Darn right LW...I say we should donate a little extra just to read LW's posts....there ya go :banana

Sly
11-04-2007, 11:36
My laptop has not been able to get to the whiteblaze page for about 6 weeks. I use my desktop OK. I have had all my friends look at the laptop and we cant figure it out. Need help.
Ben

That's odd. Are you sure you don't have it bookmarked with an incorrect URL? If you can get on other sites you should be able to get here. Or maybe it's your firewall. What's your OS?

jlb2012
11-04-2007, 12:11
Ben

check the settings for your DNS server - there is some malware going around that changes the DNS server to point to an interceptor - SGT Rock figured out that was happening to another couple users. The fix is to change the DNS setting to automaticly select the DNS server instead of having a fixed IP address for the DNS server - see link for more details: http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2484

Skidsteer
11-04-2007, 12:22
Nope! Back to hikertrash. Sorry! :D

You can do it but you won't get the graphic with it. :D

Appalachian Tater
11-04-2007, 12:48
kirby, if you have a bank account, it might be time to set up the paypal account...if you wish......it is an easy way to send funds fast if you eever want to buy used gear off here or ebay.....this is just in case you dont know but i assume you are aware...good day

Before you link anything besides a credit card to PayPal, Google and see how they have cleaned out peoples' bank accounts.

dixicritter
11-04-2007, 13:27
Before you link anything besides a credit card to PayPal, Google and see how they have cleaned out peoples' bank accounts.

Don't go scaring people like that Tater. I've been using PayPal for years now, with a bank account attached to my account without ANY problems.

Sly
11-04-2007, 13:33
Don't go scaring people like that Tater. I've been using PayPal for years now, with a bank account attached to my account without ANY problems.

Me too (never had a problem) and have most likely read more about Paypal than most here since I did a lot of Ebaying.

If you're just transferring a little money here and there Paypal is fine. If you buy anything on Ebay of some value it's best to fund it through Paypal using your credit card, not your bank account. Then, if there's a problem that Paypal doesn't correct, you do a chargeback with your CC.

rafe
11-04-2007, 13:59
eBay and PayPal seem to inspire a huge amount of very clever, insidious phishing. I mucked up a long-standing ebay account by falling for one of these, apparently. So no more eBay for me. These days, any email from either of these places gets deleted immediately.

budforester
11-04-2007, 14:03
Just a comment... It was difficult for me to figure out how to make a donation... a bit klutzy with computers and ignorant of this paypal stuff, I guess. I finally just mailed in a check; thanks admins, you fixed it for me.

Sly
11-04-2007, 14:05
eBay and PayPal seem to inspire a huge amount of very clever, insidious phishing. I mucked up a long-standing ebay account by falling for one of these, apparently. So no more eBay for me. These days, any email from either of these places gets deleted immediately.

They may inspire phishing but they have nothing to do with it. I forward to spoof.

How was your account "mucked up"?

PS When it comes to money (and you're not sure about what you're doing) never click on a link in an email and NEVER reveal your user name and password. Go to the site directly.

faarside
11-04-2007, 14:08
Just a comment... It was difficult for me to figure out how to make a donation... a bit klutzy with computers and ignorant of this paypal stuff, I guess. I finally just mailed in a check; thanks admins, you fixed it for me.

Originally for me as well... Click on MEMBERS AREA, then click on the PayPal icon to donate.

Happy Trails!

rafe
11-04-2007, 14:22
They may inspire phishing but they have nothing to do with it. I forward to spoof.

I know that, Sly. That's why I used the word inspire.

How was your account "mucked up"?Apparently, I mistook one of these for the real thing and typed in my username and password. At some point I realized my account had been hijacked.

PS When it comes to money (and you're not sure about what you're doing) never click on a link in an email and NEVER reveal your user name and password. Go to the site directly.Excellent advice. ;)

Sly
11-04-2007, 14:25
Well, now that you know and no harm was done, I can't understand why you wouldn't use either.

rafe
11-04-2007, 14:29
Well, now that you know and no harm was done, I can't understand why you wouldn't use either.

Have you ever tried to contact a human being at either eBay or PayPal?

At some point I may try to restore my eBay account, but obviously there's no pressing need. Mostly I just bought camera/photo gear, and there are other (safer, quicker) alternatives for buying, like keh.com.

Sly
11-04-2007, 14:38
Have you ever tried to contact a human being at either eBay or PayPal?

I've seen nubers posted on the Ebay discussion boards. Probably deleted shortly after posting. But you're right they don't make it easy to talk directly.

Ebay is great for deals and for finding hard to find items, but you have to do your research. It's like buying at Walmart where you don't always get the cheapest price.

It's also good for selling stuff too.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-04-2007, 15:29
kirby, if you have a bank account, it might be time to set up the paypal account...if you wish......it is an easy way to send funds fast if you eever want to buy used gear off here or ebay.....this is just in case you dont know but i assume you are aware...good dayKirby is 16.... he likely could set up a PayPal account with his parent if he wished, but not alone.

PayPal's User agreement (https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/UserAgreement/ua/USUA-outside)
Section 2.1 Eligibility. To be eligible for our Services, you must be at least 18 years old and a resident of the United States or one of the countries listed on the PayPal WorldWide (https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-approved-signup-countries-outside) page.

Kirby
11-04-2007, 15:32
I have no intention of setting up a paypal account at this time, if I make a donation to this site, it will be in the form of a check.

Kirby

Appalachian Tater
11-04-2007, 19:21

Yes, and millions of people drive cars every day without having an accident, but it doesn't mean you can't have one.

weary
11-04-2007, 19:39
i donated FIFTY!
When this started I donated $30. But then Troll cut me off from editing when I missed the renewal notice and I got in trouble with BJ. So I cut it to $10. But now that I've cooled off I promise to go back to $30 -- well, maybe just $20. My wife and I spent six weeks exploring Alaska, the Rockies and Wisconsin last spring, and I'm trying to catch up.

Weary

Sly
11-04-2007, 19:47
When this started I donated $30. But then Troll cut me off from editing when I missed the renewal notice ....

It's not like Troll cut you off personally, but your donation period expired so the software did.

Uncle Silly
11-04-2007, 21:34
kirby, if you have a bank account, it might be time to set up the paypal account...

It's not a joke, Dixi. Paypal has a lot of satisfied customers, but those are the folks it's worked for. The folks that have had trouble have reported a very difficult time getting Paypal customer service to fix anything. If Paypal decides you owe them money, they don't ask your permission, they hit your default linked account.

If that's a linked bank account, once the debit goes through, that money is GONE. The only way to get it back is to convince Paypal to give it back, which many folks have found difficult to do. With a linked credit card account, you can dispute the charge with your credit card company.

The best policy is not to link a bank account at all.

weary
11-04-2007, 22:14
It's not like Troll cut you off personally, but your donation period expired so the software did.
Yeah, I know that. But after all these years, I still like to have human judgments involved. Maybe I'll get over it someday. The race is on. My accomodation with computer realities, vs. nature's decision to end my ability to question. My prediction is the latter will win. But what do I know. I've been surprised before.

Weary

Smile
11-04-2007, 22:45
The value of the info on WB = priceless :)

nice to see so many donating !

hurryinghoosier
11-04-2007, 22:49
Thank you Hog on Ice for directing me to the Sgt Rock string on how to fix my internet connection. It worked perfectly. Sgt Rock Rocks. For the first time in 6 weeks I can get to whiteblaze from my wireless laptop.

Sly
11-05-2007, 00:29
If Paypal decides you owe them money, they don't ask your permission, they hit your default linked account.

If that's a linked bank account, once the debit goes through, that money is GONE. The only way to get it back is to convince Paypal to give it back, which many folks have found difficult to do. With a linked credit card account, you can dispute the charge with your credit card company.

The best policy is not to link a bank account at all.

They only "decide" if you owe them money is when a deal went sour. That usually means you sold something that was misrepresented or fraudulent and the buyer opens a dispute. If the buyer and seller can't agree, the buyer may escalate it to a claim. At that time the seller account maybe frozen. If Paypal sides with the buyer, the money is deducted from the sellers account. The only reason they'd have to take money out of your bank is, if the account didn't have enough funds to cover the claim, or the price paid for the item.

They just don't go take money for nothing. They don't take money from buyers, or donors in this case. As you noted and I mentioned before, if you're buying something substantial and you're afraid of getting screwed fund the money through a linked credit card, don't let them take it out of your bank account which is the default method,

Sly
11-05-2007, 00:51

Yes, and millions of people drive cars every day without having an accident, but it doesn't mean you can't have one.

So, now are you recommending we don't drive cars? :rolleyes:

Appalachian Tater
11-05-2007, 01:36
So, now are you recommending we don't drive cars? :rolleyes:

Well, yes, but not because of accidents, but because of what they do to the environment and because they make it difficult to walk around the city.

My point is that just because one user out of millions hasn't had a problem doesn't mean you can't have severed problems. Out of ten PayPal users picked at random, it would be very much against the odds for one of them to have had problems. But when problems occur, they can be huge and PayPal is indifferent. It's a quasi-bank without the regulation.

Sly
11-05-2007, 01:58
If 1 in a million transactions go bad, I'll take my chances. It's like anything else in life, there are no guarantees. Just use your best judgement.

Kirby
11-05-2007, 07:27
Since we are on the suject of odds of something happening, here is one for you all to enjoy:

You have a greater chance of being attacked b a shark than you do winning powerball.

Kirby

mrc237
11-05-2007, 07:43
i donated FIFTY!

still comes to $10.00 a year you were being carried by the rest of us till someone shamed you ::: ya cheep bastid:D

warraghiyagey
11-05-2007, 08:12
Since we are on the suject of odds of something happening, here is one for you all to enjoy:

You have a greater chance of being attacked b a shark than you do winning powerball.

Kirby

Hmmm. What are the odds of being attacked by a powerball?

warraghiyagey
11-05-2007, 08:17
Woodsy

Thanks Woodsy for starting this thread. Hopefully many who read are are inspired, as I am. It's the only site I'm a member of, glad to give back. How much extra should be paid to read LWolf's posts?
And LW, are you ever going to go on a rant? The man says more with six word posts than anyone I've seen.:) :)

T-Dubs
11-05-2007, 09:12
You have a greater chance of being attacked b a shark than you do winning powerball. Kirby

Not here. I play the lotto; I don't play in the water :)

Tom

woodsy
11-05-2007, 09:41
The edit button alone is well worth $10.00
Bet the mods are glad i've got it:rolleyes:
I get to clean up my own messes after rants.

Fiddleback
11-05-2007, 10:22
I haven't been on the AT in over 20 years...and I doubt I'll ever see it again. But White Blaze was my first backpack forum and is probably my favorite. The member community is great and the posts gave me a lot of help and info when I returned to bp'ing a few years ago. That help was timely...I was starting UL and hammock hanging at the same time.

So my hour or more spent each day on WB gives me a whole bunch...it's the best bang for the buck of all my 'subscriptions'; online or print.

As for Pay Pal: I really like this service and have never had any problems in the eight or so years I've had an account. Pay Pal makes things soooo easy, especially on EBay. But I do take precautions... My account is not linked to any bank account and the credit card that is linked is used exclusively for online purchases while none of my other credit cards are ever used online. I think that gives me another layer of what is probably unnecessary protection. I use Amazon's VISA which got me a $30 dollar discount when I first signed up and returns 2% of online purchases in the form of Amazon gift certificates.

FB

RadioFreq
11-05-2007, 18:15
Darn right LW...I say we should donate a little extra just to read LW's posts....there ya go :banana

....or to hire someone to interpret Mathewski's for us. :eek: :D

:) T minus 15.75 months.....and counting. :)

gaga
11-06-2007, 19:06
i`m gonna donate but i wait until Christmas ;) and i also have an idea :
-- i was thinking that WHITE BLAZE could do an actual White Blaze patch and give it to the donating members so they can put it on clothing, hats or backpacks , whit WB on it :-?

Skidsteer
11-06-2007, 19:16
-- i was thinking that WHITE BLAZE could do an actual White Blaze patch and give it to the donating members so they can put it on clothing, hats or backpacks , whit WB on it :-?

We do T-shirts every so often. Personally, I wouldn't mind if more WB gear were available but Admin are pretty busy as it is.

Maybe a WB'er in that business could volunteer to come up with some good stuff and run the operation to help fund the site.

honeyhiker
11-06-2007, 19:24
Thanks for putting this thread up. I've been meaning to join and kept putting it off. Hope we can all keep the site up and running for a long time. There's so much information and comraderie here. :)

tiptoe
11-06-2007, 21:28
Well, I don't do PayPal either, which is probably why it took me so long to get around to sending a donation by check. I'm a lurker by nature, most of the time anyway, but I've learned a ton here just by reading, searching, looking at pix, and so on. A big thank-you to everyone who builds, maintains, and contributes to WhiteBlaze.

camojack
11-07-2007, 04:48
I donated$ 20.00 for the administration putting up with me
If you participate here in the forums and enjoy doing so, consider helping keeping this valuable info alive by donating $10.00- 20.00 dollars.Whiteblaze thanks you! And you get to edit your posts too, you know, spelling errors, erasing things you didn't really mean, deleting posts entirely, LOL
Woodsy
All right, I finally got around to it. Happy now?! :confused: ;)

Anyways, at least now I can put up my own awesome avatar... :D

Pennsylvania Rose
11-07-2007, 09:50
I don't post much, but wb has provided me with endless hours of entertainment, lots of great information, and peace of mind - I'm not the only one with an annoying obsession with the AT :)! I've been happy to donate for the past couple of years.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-07-2007, 10:10
..... at least now I can put up my own awesome avatar... :D:eek: :datz:datz:datz :eek:

max patch
11-07-2007, 10:17
All right, I finally got around to it. Happy now?! :confused: ;)

Anyways, at least now I can put up my own awesome avatar... :D

I thot your last avatar - the pic of hillary next to your quote "your worse nightmare - was awesomer.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-07-2007, 10:26
I thot your last avatar - the pic of hillary next to your quote "your worse nightmare - was awesomer.Prune-faced Dino eyes CamoJack and MaxPatch's toes and says keep the political stuff in the political forum.

dixicritter
11-07-2007, 10:27
Prune-faced Dino eyes CamoJack and MaxPatch's toes and says keep the political stuff in the political forum.

I concur!

camojack
11-07-2007, 10:30
I thot your last avatar - the pic of hillary next to your quote "your worse nightmare - was awesomer.
Someone sent a PM asking me to replace it...so, in a fit of magnanimity, I did. :D

camojack
11-07-2007, 10:32
I concur!
Ruh-roh...posts crost [sic] in the "ether"... :(

dixicritter
11-07-2007, 10:32
The political stuff does not belong outside the political area of this site.

edit to add... LOL... I see you now have seen my post.

camojack
11-07-2007, 10:39
The political stuff does not belong outside the political area of this site.

edit to add... LOL... I see you now have seen my post.
Yes...my attempt to edit didn't remove the picture.

How do I do that? (For future reference; obviously this time FD got it...)

dixicritter
11-07-2007, 10:44
Yes...my attempt to edit didn't remove the picture.

How do I do that? (For future reference; obviously this time FD got it...)

Depends on how the picture was put in. I didn't look at it, so I'm not totally sure.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
11-07-2007, 11:02
It was an attachment -- to remove an attachment you need to select 'edit', go to advanced edit screen and scroll down below the text edit box to the manage attachments feature. When you click that, it will let you remove an attachment.

Last edited by camojack : Today at 09:40. Reason: The humorous stuff does not belong outside the humor area of this site::: Dino mops coffee off monitor and keyboard ::::

camojack
11-07-2007, 11:30
It was an attachment -- to remove an attachment you need to select 'edit', go to advanced edit screen and scroll down below the text edit box to the manage attachments feature. When you click that, it will let you remove an attachment.
Thanks; I didn't see that option...I'm new to this edit function. :rolleyes:

::: Dino mops coffee off monitor and keyboard ::::
I'm glad you appreciated that. I always try to be subtle, although even I have my limits... :D

Gray Blazer
11-07-2007, 11:35
Can you donate something besides money to the adminisrators? Something of equal value? Would that count?

warraghiyagey
11-07-2007, 15:44
Can you donate something besides money to the adminisrators? Something of equal value? Would that count?

You got a Rolex??

:p

Gray Blazer
11-07-2007, 15:45
You got a Rolex??

:p
Yeah, an imitation rolex. You wanna buy it?

warraghiyagey
11-07-2007, 15:55
Yeah, an imitation rolex. You wanna buy it?

Only if you give the proceeds to WB:) As far as I've seen an imitation Rolex is as much a status symbol as the real thing. Only somehow less embarrasing to wear.

woodsy
11-07-2007, 19:58
I think that it's especially important to donate something if you advertise your websites as part of your signature where you sell things for a profit.

Great site and worthy of a donation to keep it up and running. I donated a benjamin.

Much cheaper to donate than to go buy books with all the useful and real time information on this site!
Thanks WhiteBlaze!

Sandalwood

Happy Trails!

The value of the info on WB = priceless :)

nice to see so many donating !

Thanks Woodsy for starting this thread. Hopefully many who read are are inspired, as I am. It's the only site I'm a member of, glad to give back. How much extra should be paid to read LWolf's posts?
And LW, are you ever going to go on a rant? The man says more with six word posts than anyone I've seen.:)

-- i was thinking that WHITE BLAZE could do an actual White Blaze patch and give it to the donating members so they can put it on clothing, hats or backpacks , whit WB on it

Well, I don't do PayPal either, which is probably why it took me so long to get around to sending a donation by check. I'm a lurker by nature, most of the time anyway, but I've learned a ton here just by reading, searching, looking at pix, and so on. A big thank-you to everyone who builds, maintains, and contributes to WhiteBlaze.

All right, I finally got around to it. Happy now?!

Anyways, at least now I can put up my own awesome avatar...

I don't post much, but wb has provided me with endless hours of entertainment, lots of great information, and peace of mind - I'm not the only one with an annoying obsession with the AT ! I've been happy to donate for the past couple of years.

i donated FIFTY! L. Wolf

I pulled some notable quotes out of this thread which sums it it all up nicely,forgive me if i left yours out.
It is great that so many have come to appreciate WB for what it is, the best hiker site on the AT and beyond! Walk On!

Ashman
11-09-2007, 14:24
New user, I have gotten a ton out of this place already, I donated as well