PDA

View Full Version : pot ideas

AT-HITMAN2005
11-03-2007, 21:15
i use an MSR Titan kettle when i'm out alone. next year when i go my wife will be with me so i will need a bigger pot. although i would like to get a larger Ti one the cost is prohibitive right now. what suggestions do y'all have about larger size pots, that 2 people could share meals from? lighter the better, don't really like non-stick coating, that crap comes off eventually. try to include size and material.

thanks for the help!:)

oops56
11-03-2007, 22:23
If it was me i use the pot that you use at home let the better half put it in her pack.

gaga
11-03-2007, 22:26
MSR.com --- Vargo.com---
http://www.litebackpacker.com/snowpeak/index.html
etc.

Outlaw
11-04-2007, 12:38
Kmart grease pot. Aluminum. +/- 1qt. :)

paulbrown137
11-04-2007, 14:11
If you are just boiling water, this would be my pick. AGG 2 quart non stick pot $13
http://tinyurl.com/2opjdm

If you want to do some real cooking, these are thicker walled and have held up for me for many years.
http://tinyurl.com/3cawc4

Appalachian Tater
11-04-2007, 14:48
I would use two complete setups so you can cook faster and have two dishes or a meal and a beverage unless you see a way to really save some weight and/or be significantly more fuel efficient with one large pot. Perhaps a Heineken setup for the second pot, great for beverages and freezer bag cooking. You would have to carry another container like an Orikasa bowl or a cup anyway.

AT-HITMAN2005
11-04-2007, 14:55
i plan on carrying my little titan kettle anyways so we can split up the meal after its cooked. already have so i figured id use it again. and this way if she wants something other than what i do we can cook seperate stuff.

Appalachian Tater
11-04-2007, 15:04
i plan on carrying my little titan kettle anyways so we can split up the meal after its cooked. already have so i figured id use it again. and this way if she wants something other than what i do we can cook seperate stuff.

Then just get her a Titan and use alcohol stoves so you don't have to carry two canisters or fuel supplies. You'll have so much more variety with two dishes. Imagine: Liptons and mashed potatoes!!!!!

I love my little Titan. I would use it at home but then going hiking would be a little less special.

Dakota Dan
11-04-2007, 15:08
I've just got an Evernew Titanium 1.3 liter Pot with lid from REI (will probably dump the lid before trip). Just wish the pot was a little larger. I will be testing this thing out to make sure it will work. If it passes, JR can get one too, we'll share the stove. Was thinking about a Titanium cup but I'll use a "cut in half" soda bottle as a cup since they'll be available, & easily replaced along the trail. I'm just trying to keep the weight LOW. JR can only carry so much.

Appalachian Tater
11-04-2007, 15:10
ut I'll use a "cut in half" soda bottle as a cup since they'll be available, & easily replaced along the trail.

Try that at home with boiling water first.:eek:

Dakota Dan
11-04-2007, 15:20
Try that at home with boiling water first.:eek:

Come on Tater, I was born at night, but not LAST NIGHT! LOL

I only eat/drink hot foods/drinks from the pot I cook in. I'll use the "cup" for drinking out of springs, or sharing some Black Jack with someone. I'll use a whole soda bottle w/cap to mix(shake up) tang type drinks etc with.

soulrebel
11-04-2007, 16:02
open country 2L w/ top bail. We shared/share one and have seen other couples using the same. Nice Al pot. 9.99 actually only weighs about .5 to 1oz more than a TI version that costs 500% more, and it cooks better than Ti...

bought a 1.3l ti when i came back from our thru hike--too small for two people--would end up sloshing our meal out of the pot.

doubles as 2l water carrier since lid is pretty secure and no plastic parts...

trippedoutnatureboy
11-04-2007, 16:41
there are various pots from snowpeak that are titanium and large enough for two people check out campmor.com these are affordable and as light as they come

dessertrat
11-04-2007, 16:59
open country 2L w/ top bail. We shared/share one and have seen other couples using the same. Nice Al pot. 9.99 actually only weighs about .5 to 1oz more than a TI version that costs 500% more, and it cooks better than Ti...

bought a 1.3l ti when i came back from our thru hike--too small for two people--would end up sloshing our meal out of the pot.

doubles as 2l water carrier since lid is pretty secure and no plastic parts...

Ditto. Good aluminum pot, even if it doesn't have a label on it that will get you winks and nods from someone in a snazzy goretex jacket.

Dakota Dan
11-04-2007, 19:37
....bought a 1.3l ti when i came back from our thru hike--too small for two people--would end up sloshing our meal out of the pot....

I was wondering, when I bought it, if it would be big enough for just me, no way for 2 hikers. I like the Evernew handles better than all the ones I checked out, if the pot works, JR will be getting his own. We'll be sharing a woodburning stove, so fuel won't be a problem.

Appalachian Tater
11-04-2007, 19:42
Come on Tater, I was born at night, but not LAST NIGHT! LOL
Well, I was speaking from experience. At least I tested it at home instead of learning the hard way.

I only eat/drink hot foods/drinks from the pot I cook in. I'll use the "cup" for drinking out of springs, or sharing some Black Jack with someone. I'll use a whole soda bottle w/cap to mix(shake up) tang type drinks etc with.

A 1 liter Platypus probably doesn't weight too much more and is more versatile. It's also not free or disposable.

Dakota Dan
11-04-2007, 20:28
....A 1 liter Platypus probably doesn't weight too much more and is more versatile. It's also not free or disposable.

I will be using a water bladder, and have a small plastic backup water bottle, for I can't see when the bladder is about empty, I'll have the backup water to use until the next fill-up.

I also would like to have some sort of cup along, for reasons stated earlier.

skar578
11-04-2007, 21:19
whatever you decide to use, this ti foil can make light lids and windscreens. Dont know if itg in your budget though. Good use Solo hiking too.

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/windscreens.html

sweetpeastu
11-05-2007, 12:51
Do any of you actually cook in your titianum kettles, or do you just boil water?

I've heard they're great for boiling water and not much else, and as a result, haven't been up for potentially ruining a meal trying to cook in titanium. (I have a Snowpeak)

whitefoot_hp
11-05-2007, 12:58
i have used my ti kettle to fry bacon (actually reheat pre cooked bacon w/ olive oil) and i have cooked noodle and past dishes in it. works and cleans fine, meal not ruined.

Tinker
11-05-2007, 13:20
Evernew 1.3 l. Ti pot. For bowls you can save a couple of Cool Whip containers with or without tops (the tops make nice makeshift cutting boards).

If you're using an alcohol stove, the wider the bottom of the pot the better, because alcohol vapors burn relatively slowly so you want to make sure the flames don't go up the sides of your pot too quickly (they will, eventually), losing the heat to the air.

sweetpeastu
11-05-2007, 15:41
so a person could likely cook alfredo in a titanium kettle? Cool. good to know. i'll try it sometime.

English Stu
11-05-2007, 16:22
I managed to scramble eggs in mine using butter,You have to watch all the time as its very quick,lift the pot a bit higher off the alky stove if its getting too hot.

LIhikers
11-05-2007, 17:36
My wife and I have a set of MSR Blacklite pots that we use mostly when we camp in our old 1971 VW bus camper. They work pretty well and we've used one of the smaller ones for backpacking when we know that we're going to have to do more than just boil water. They come in a variety of sizes and have a fry pan available too.

Dakota Dan
11-05-2007, 19:37
Anyone with experience with bag cooking in a pot? I have ZERO experience with cooking dishes within a bag. Heard a couple of people asking an REI sale clerk if he new how to do it(didn't of course). This may be a bunch of BS, but I would like to know if theres anything to it. Anybody here heard about this, are actually have done it? Have Links to sites?

Skidsteer
11-05-2007, 19:49
Anyone with experience with bag cooking in a pot? I have ZERO experience with cooking dishes within a bag. Heard a couple of people asking an REI sale clerk if he new how to do it(didn't of course). This may be a bunch of BS, but I would like to know if theres anything to it. Anybody here heard about this, are actually have done it? Have Links to sites?

Do you mean freezer bag cooking?

Try freezerbagcooking.com (http://freezerbagcooking.com) and a simple WB search. Lots of info.

Dakota Dan
11-05-2007, 19:53
Do you mean freezer bag cooking?

Try freezerbagcooking.com (http://freezerbagcooking.com) and a simple WB search. Lots of info.

I guess so. Thanks for the link I'll take a look.

Skidsteer
11-05-2007, 20:00
I guess so. Thanks for the link I'll take a look.

Also try:

http://www.bplite.com/viewforum.php?f=11

and some videos....

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28808

Dakota Dan
11-05-2007, 20:52
Whats the low-down (+'s and -'s) of "FREEZER BAG" cooking". I want to see if It's something I'd be interested in. I'm thinking you will probably use a lot of bags, if so...end of conversation. I haven't had time to research the Links yet, but will do so.

Roland
11-05-2007, 20:54
Just add boiling water...

Dakota Dan
11-05-2007, 20:56
Cancel my post #29, after reading the first couple of paragraphs of the freezerbagcooking.com link I figured it out. Sounds good for a day or two, but I'll pass on this endeavor. But thanks for the help.

Skidsteer
11-05-2007, 20:58
Whats the low-down (+'s and -'s) of "FREEZER BAG" cooking". I want to see if It's something I'd be interested in. I'm thinking you will probably use a lot of bags, if so...end of conversation. I haven't had time to research the Links yet, but will do so.

You don't have to use a freezer bag. Any container that can stand up to boiling water will work and it's still much easier than cleaning a pot that you cooked in. You'll use a lot less fuel to boot.

Dakota Dan
11-05-2007, 21:47
You don't have to use a freezer bag. Any container that can stand up to boiling water will work and it's still much easier than cleaning a pot that you cooked in. You'll use a lot less fuel to boot.

Thanks, Skidsteer. Yea I know, but I'll be using a woodburning stove, probably the zip stove, haven't made up my mind or checked all the homemades out yet. So the fuel savings won't really matter as much.

Skidsteer
11-05-2007, 21:55
Thanks, Skidsteer. Yea I know, but I'll be using a woodburning stove, probably the zip stove, haven't made up my mind or checked all the homemades out yet. So the fuel savings won't really matter as much.

Suit yourself. :)

smokymtnsteve
11-05-2007, 21:57
Suit yourself. :)

WOW MAN i LEIK THE GOOD STUFF!

take-a-knee
11-06-2007, 00:03

Someone posted a link about boiling an omlet inside a freezer bag a while back.

trippedoutnatureboy
11-07-2007, 23:25
I mostly just boil water in my ti kettle/pot just because most of my meals are just add water so not much to cook but the water I use alot of freeze dried and dehydrated meals just because if the weight saving that occurs when carrying these types of meals and they have gotten much better in variety and taste then they used to be

Dakota Dan
11-07-2007, 23:33
I mostly just boil water in my ti kettle/pot just because most of my meals are just add water so not much to cook but the water I use alot of freeze dried and dehydrated meals just because if the weight saving that occurs when carrying these types of meals and they have gotten much better in variety and taste then they used to be

Do you prepare the f/d meal in the kettle and eat from same? This is what I plan on doing. I'm going to experiment boiling eggs, and cooking some of my fav dishes on my home stove first, then when I get(or build) my wood burning stove, I'll test it out also.